As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My mail carrier might be stealing my packages?

13»

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Huh, so it's possible that my carrier got replaced! Today a package delivery attempt was made on a new package. My camera definitely shows a different person than the previous carrier. New carrier actually did ring the doorbell (it was too early in the morning for us to answer since I work a night shift, but husband says he heard the ring) and he knocked on the door, too! And waited to see if anyone would come downstairs! I rescheduled my package for delivery for tomorrow (using the website instead of the door tag since the door tag hasn't worked for me the last couple of times), so we'll see if I get the same guy again or if he was just a one-day replacement. I'm psyched if it's a new guy, though!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Well, strike one. Despite USPS.com stating that I would get my package delivered today by 8pm, it's now 8:09 pm and no one has come to my door, and there's no parcel locker key in my locked mailbox. Sigh.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If anything I admire your patience through all this, I woulda been hiding in a tree with a net at this point.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Man, I don't know that I'd call this patience. I just don't have a folding chair I could bring out to the cluster boxes to wait for the carrier. If I did, I might do that today... but even at that I have no idea when he actually comes for delivery, I don't know how willing I am to spend hours outside, even with my knitting, just waiting for the carrier to get here.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Man, I don't know that I'd call this patience. I just don't have a folding chair I could bring out to the cluster boxes to wait for the carrier. If I did, I might do that today... but even at that I have no idea when he actually comes for delivery, I don't know how willing I am to spend hours outside, even with my knitting, just waiting for the carrier to get here.

I'd offer to order you such a chair, but I don't have any confidence that it would actually be delivered at this point.

• Options
    So even as of today, USPS.com had my tracking number as "scheduled for Delivery on March 9." with no updates. So I rescheduled delivery again, to March 12. Somehow I think this will also be a waste of time, but maybe I'll get lucky!

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Did you go to the PO to talk to a clerk about allowing the carrier to drop your signature required packages at the door?

Because a signature required package/accountable mail being left without a signature is a very quick way for a carrier to have their badge pulled and get fired.

• Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Did you go to the PO to talk to a clerk about allowing the carrier to drop your signature required packages at the door?

Because a signature required package/accountable mail being left without a signature is a very quick way for a carrier to have their badge pulled and get fired.

1) I always sign the cards they leave and checkmark the "leave on my stoop" section of the card 2) When I complained that the postal carrier was not actually delivering, they didn't give a shit anyway, stating that me giving permission on the card probably meant that someone was stealing the packages off my stoop. 3) Once I had photo evidence of the not carrier attempting redeliver, they just halted even attempting any redeliveries at all, even redeliveries I explicitly scheduled.

Text message says my most recent package was "delivered to mail room" which suggests the parcel box. Ideal if true, but I'll believe it when I see it (I just woke up, will check shortly).

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    My local post office almost entirely ignores those little cards and what they say to do. They have a completely different set of things they want done. For example, on the card it says if someone else is going to pickup your package to sign and then give their name. What they actually want is for the other person to show up with the addressee's ID. I'm sure my PO isn't unique in doing things their own, less official and convenient way.

I guess my point is that you should try to find a way to get what you want within the local PO's system. Maybe something as simple as a sign on your door saying "I'm home, please ring the doorbell for packages" would help? Maybe just ask them when you go in what you should do.

Also, I've always had much more success complaining about the post office through the shipper than directly, Amazon is probably their biggest customer at this point and Amazon reps have quickly gotten me service that the USPS website or phone support said weren't possible.

• Options
    Good news, the package was indeed delivered to the locked parcel box, the place I always want all my packages delivered to anyway!

For the record, what worked this time was: 1) calling the national USPS number and rescheduling delivery and 2) calling the local USPS office when they were open, stating that I'd tried redelivery (electronically) once and nothing was delivered, and can they make sure I get delivery today, please.

Also while I'm sure my USPS office has it's own rules, they seem to keep changing every time I have a new package. Previously all I had to do was sign the card and request they leave the package on the stoop, and that worked fine with zero problems, right up until my carrier changed. At that point it became completely random as to whether I would get my package, whether it would be on the stoop or in the parcel box, or whether they'd try ringing my doorbell after the first time. (redelivery basically stopped being a thing as soon as I started complaining about missing packages).

• Options
    Also there's currently a note and a redelivery card with my signature taped to my front door that the carrier never looked at. So so much for that plan.