As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Hufflepuff-Puff Pass

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Hufflepuff-Puff Pass

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    mrginger128mrginger128 Registered User new member
    edited March 2018
    I'm an idiot, can someone explain that second panel to me? Not the words obviously.

mrginger128 on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm an idiot, can someone explain that second panel to me? Not the words obviously.
    Flashing back to Tycho telling what's-his-name that he's a Ravenclaw, I think.

• Options
    MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    But but but... you can pick your house! It says so in the books, the Sorting Hat takes your choices into consideration!

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular

"Hufflepuff" and "Ravenclaw" are school Houses of Hogwarts, a school in the Harry Potter franchise. Pottermore is a Harry Potter website that had a quiz allowing you to see which House you were. Tycho got Hufflepuff on taking the quiz, but he told people (like Charles, as seen here in flashback) that he got Ravenclaw. (Ravenclaw is the house for intelligent people, whereas Hufflepuff is the house for everyone who doesn't fit one of the other three).

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    lol The guy he's bragging to in 2nd panel doesn't even care

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Dreaded continuity!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Holy cow! It's Charles!

He hasn't been in a comic in what, half a decade if not more?

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Now now, there's no shame in being a Hufflepuff.

I mean, I'm super glad I'm in Ravenclaw, but if I got sorted into Hufflepuff I suppose I wouldn't've immediately drowned myself.

• Options
    RigamarawRigamaraw Registered User regular
    More like Hufflepuff hard pass.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    The whole House System is a goddamn disaster from top to bottom anyway. First of all, turning Slytherin into a de-facto Hitler Youth was not the best idea. Then they turned Hufflepuff into the "loser house" despite that it's supposed to be for all the students who arent ineterested in turning themselves into caricatures. Third, the books are hilariously biased towards Gryffindor since thats the House all the main characters are in. Finally, hasnt the faculty seen the slightest problem with the kind of rivalry they're fostering between the houses? They're creating blood feuds that last well into adulthood!

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i mean, Hufflepuff is doing something right, right?

JK0SPXZ.jpg

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ConiuratosConiuratos Registered User new member
    But Neville's in Gryffindor.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Coniuratos wrote: »

well shit, you're right.

i am handing in my HP fan card.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Coniuratos wrote: »

well shit, you're right.

i am handing in my HP fan card.

Understandable, the Herbology professor (Pomono Sprout) is a Hufflepuff.
    Other notable members: Nymphadora Tonks, Cederic Diggory, and Newt Scamander.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone hasn't already heard it, I need to share this Mitchell and Webb skit about being sorted into Hufflepuff:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF4JuA6tcg

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Having only dipped my feet into the Potterverse I try not to judge. But I have a hard time not seeing the House selection as "which branch of the Brightshadow Academy for Mary Sue's" you want to be in. Do you want to be the Broody Edgelord, the Bookworm, the Chosen Hero, or the Shy Normie?

Granted, it's not on the level of, say, Divergent. "All the other kids can be categorized by exactly one personality trait. But a select few (including every single reader of the series) have the unique quality of being TWO THINGS AT ONCE!"

• Options
    Having only dipped my feet into the Potterverse I try not to judge. But I have a hard time not seeing the House selection as "which branch of the Brightshadow Academy for Mary Sue's" you want to be in. Do you want to be the Broody Edgelord, the Bookworm, the Chosen Hero, or the Shy Normie?

Granted, it's not on the level of, say, Divergent. "All the other kids can be categorized by exactly one personality trait. But a select few (including every single reader of the series) have the unique quality of being TWO THINGS AT ONCE!"

Or the Hero/Sidekick division from the movie Sky High. All they do is create a bitter underclass who resents society but the school refuses to change because the Hero class see no problem with the tradition even though it's a breeding ground for supervillains.

• Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    I just did that quiz without gaming it, and I got sorted into Slytherin.

I'd rather have been Hufflepuff.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I've been a staunch Hufflepuff defender for a while now. They have their dormitories in the kitchen, they have never had a member go to the dark side, and Newt Scamander is adorable.

It's the house that doesn't let their intellect, bravery or ambition define them, and as such are more resistant to succumbing to those attributes in the manner of a Greek tragedy.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I've been a staunch Hufflepuff defender for a while now. They have their dormitories in the kitchen, they have never had a member go to the dark side, and Newt Scamander is adorable.

Hold up.

Is this a thing that was revealed on Pottermore? Or am I forgetting some part of the books?

• Options
    JackJack Registered User regular

I'm not saying the Divergent books succeeded, but they did explain that people in it are the descendants of a genetic engineering experiment that essentially made them all brain damaged. Their ridiculous society is a second experiment designed to reverse that damage and produce healthy offspring who can then be reintegrated into the outer society.

The problem was the three-book structure that didn't reveal any of that until the third book. If it had been a single book then it would have worked better.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Based on these, I wouldn't mind being a Hufflepuff.

How to be a Hufflepuff:
    https://youtu.be/X41ArlJVNYc

How to be a Ravenclaw:
    https://youtu.be/OjF41IM_G0Q

How to be a Slytherin:
    https://youtu.be/zWL7U_OOv1w

No Gryffindor yet, but I'm hoping it'll be a good'un.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Jack wrote: »

I'm not saying the Divergent books succeeded, but they did explain that people in it are the descendants of a genetic engineering experiment that essentially made them all brain damaged. Their ridiculous society is a second experiment designed to reverse that damage and produce healthy offspring who can then be reintegrated into the outer society.

The problem was the three-book structure that didn't reveal any of that until the third book. If it had been a single book then it would have worked better.

That's actually kind of interesting and I wish that had been in from the beginning (or the first movie, which I watched and then had little desire to read the book).

If the setting had seemed really off, than that reveal at the end would be a pretty cool explanation: like the whole series was like a Twilight Zone episode where you are waiting for the explanation.

But the trouble is that it wasn't all that different from most YA books in that aspect of the premise, so I think most people assumed the people were all one-note because that's what characters in YA look like. It just seemed like a metaphor for how kids see high school: everyone is mindless clique automatons and I'm not accepted in a clique because I'm the only free thinker.

[Grumpy old man] It does seem like today's YA books have a habit of building their worlds to cater to how teens see the world rather than meeting teens where they are and teaching them about adulthood. Narnia and The Dark is Rising seemed more inclined to write realistic teen characters, with their incomplete understanding of the world, and proceed to use the story to teach them a more mature outlook. Though I'm sure there's good stuff out there today. I found the characters in Hunger Games somewhat realistic, if almost exclusively unlikable. But most of the rest of YA I've been exposed to lately seems less written for teens, and more written by teens. [/Grumpy old man]

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Taerak wrote: »

Hold up.

Is this a thing that was revealed on Pottermore? Or am I forgetting some part of the books?

I don't recall either fact being in the books, so probably Pottermore.

Slytherin lore is actually pretty interesting because Pottermore reveals that they're not actually all about blood purity (in fact, there are loads of half-blood and Muggle-born Slythies) or even about the Dark Arts. Their defining trait is ambition, but it goes more to it than that. More than even the Hufflepuffs, Slytherin are the outcasts. The Slytherin welcome infodump basically boils down to 'Everyone's going to hate you anyway, so just own the label.' And while everyone's writing you off as a wannabe death eater, focus on your own success and just win. And this attitude works amazingly well when you think about it; in the years before Sorcerer's Stone Slytherin are dominating all the inter-house competitions; they have the House Cup and the Quidditch Cup and have had them both for several years running.

I'm just saying, Tyrion Lannister would be a Slytherin.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

That's actually kind of interesting and I wish that had been in from the beginning (or the first movie, which I watched and then had little desire to read the book).

If the setting had seemed really off, than that reveal at the end would be a pretty cool explanation: like the whole series was like a Twilight Zone episode where you are waiting for the explanation.

But the trouble is that it wasn't all that different from most YA books in that aspect of the premise, so I think most people assumed the people were all one-note because that's what characters in YA look like. It just seemed like a metaphor for how kids see high school: everyone is mindless clique automatons and I'm not accepted in a clique because I'm the only free thinker.

[Grumpy old man] It does seem like today's YA books have a habit of building their worlds to cater to how teens see the world rather than meeting teens where they are and teaching them about adulthood. Narnia and The Dark is Rising seemed more inclined to write realistic teen characters, with their incomplete understanding of the world, and proceed to use the story to teach them a more mature outlook. Though I'm sure there's good stuff out there today. I found the characters in Hunger Games somewhat realistic, if almost exclusively unlikable. But most of the rest of YA I've been exposed to lately seems less written for teens, and more written by teens. [/Grumpy old man]
    I "read" audiobooks and honestly, the first book of the Divergent series was a lot like watered down version of the Hunger Games series. I mean, Ms. Roth basically piled the entire Hunger Games trilogy into one book. I really didn't have any burning desire to continue, but I'm a completionist and I ran out of audiobooks one day so I queued up the second one and... it was more of the same story, same characters, nothing really happened... until literally the last line of the book. It was one of those jaw-dropping Twilight Zone twists that made everything suddenly make sense. I'm not sure if Ms. Roth had the whole thing planned from the beginning or just stumbled on to it at the end, but it was literally one of the slowest burning fuses I've ever seen. Not that it's "great" - I've read better books/series. For example right now I'm alternating between Terry Pratchet and "The Expanse" series.

Oh, I'm totally Hufflepuff.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    turtleshelfturtleshelf Registered User new member
    Oh man I had to make an account specifically to comment on this. I'm sick of the Hufflepuff hate.
    Granted when I did the pottermore quiz and was sorted into Hufflepuff I was as disappointed as anyone would be. I, like Tycho, told everyone I was a Ravenclaw, because they're smart, and people told me I was smart, so it made sense. Plus they've got CLAW in their name, super badass.

But recently I rethought my househate. As YoungFrey said earlier, Hufflepuff has had a bunch of dope witches and wizards, not least amongst them Tonks, Sprout and Newt Scamander (and also Artemisia Lufkin, the first female Minister for Magic). They're also generally tolerant, honest, hard-working and morally-driven folk. And their common room is right next to the kitchens, super comfortable (looking at you, Slytherin's hard wood chairs) and full of burnished copper and afternoon sun. It's also the only common room with an actual defense mechanism.

But none of that is why I'm happy to be a Hufflepuff.

I'm satisfied with my sorting because I keep imagining Helga Huffelpuff's shocked and betrayed face when she gets together with her three best friends to found a school to teach all the young witches and wizards of Britain, only to watch them be weirdly selective about who they want to teach: "oh just the very bravest for me!" "I'm only teaching those who fulfill my arbitrary notion of 'smart'" "I'll take the cunning, and preferably not those of mixed-race."

I imagine Helga looking around at these three smug motherfuckers like an angry Molly Weasley and being all "all right you racist pieces of shit, I'll take all the children that don't fit into one of your weird little boxes and, idk, just want to learn magic. And we're going to be next to the kitchens."

Hufflepuff forever, equality for all.

• Options
    Taerak wrote: »

Hold up.

I don't recall either fact being in the books, so probably Pottermore.

Slytherin lore is actually pretty interesting because Pottermore reveals that they're not actually all about blood purity (in fact, there are loads of half-blood and Muggle-born Slythies) or even about the Dark Arts. Their defining trait is ambition, but it goes more to it than that. More than even the Hufflepuffs, Slytherin are the outcasts. The Slytherin welcome infodump basically boils down to 'Everyone's going to hate you anyway, so just own the label.' And while everyone's writing you off as a wannabe death eater, focus on your own success and just win. And this attitude works amazingly well when you think about it; in the years before Sorcerer's Stone Slytherin are dominating all the inter-house competitions; they have the House Cup and the Quidditch Cup and have had them both for several years running.

I'm just saying, Tyrion Lannister would be a Slytherin.

Not much winning happening in my life. I am definitely a Hufflepuff. ;-) (Alright, yes, Hufflepuff had enough awesome people in it for that not to be a thing, I jest!)

I should go through Pottermore at some point. You've piqued my interest. :D

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Yeah, I was gonna say (in response to the reveal, which I admit is the first I've heard of it as well), "we call that brain-damaging environment 'high school'. And the cure for it, for most people, is... leaving high school."

The thing is, it's very difficult to convince most teens how little these particular four years will matter later on, and how petty and trivial all their adolescent drama is. They're surrounded by it every day, it defines their lives, and for most, it's something like a third of their consciously remembered lifetimes. So one has a choice of either trying to give them that context, that many can't or won't accept because they're not ready for it, or just throw up one's hands and give them what they want, which is validating their skewed and limited worldview.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I'm not that big on HP, I've seen the movies (my oldest sister is surprisingly big on the series) and enjoyed them, but can't say I've much interest in reading the books, nor whatever Rowling's calling the expanded IP. But out of curiosity (and because I'm a sucker for personality quizzes), I've done the sorting tests a number of times over the years, both official and fan-made ones. I mostly get hufflepuff, followed closely by ravenclaw, and at least once I've gotten slytherin. I'm super indecisive and so getting different results on tests is pretty common for me (I like to go back and redo them to see how my results would vary whenever I get questions I'm unsure how to answer), about the only ones I get really consistent outcomes with are Magic the Gathering color tests (always white or blue on single-color only tests, white/blue mix on tests that support dual-color outcomes).

Out of curiosity, do the other schools have houses? If so, what are they? I know Hogwarts isn't the worlds-only magic school in the setting.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So I was the first to get PokemonGO running in my friendship group and I chose Team Instinct, which my friends then joined even though Instinct quickly became known as Team Hufflepuff

For the rest of the summer I waa inundated with Instinct and/or Hufflepuff memes. This one still gets shared:

https://youtu.be/y0Z5_wipT2o

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm not that big on HP, I've seen the movies (my oldest sister is surprisingly big on the series) and enjoyed them, but can't say I've much interest in reading the books, nor whatever Rowling's calling the expanded IP. But out of curiosity (and because I'm a sucker for personality quizzes), I've done the sorting tests a number of times over the years, both official and fan-made ones. I mostly get hufflepuff, followed closely by ravenclaw, and at least once I've gotten slytherin. I'm super indecisive and so getting different results on tests is pretty common for me (I like to go back and redo them to see how my results would vary whenever I get questions I'm unsure how to answer), about the only ones I get really consistent outcomes with are Magic the Gathering color tests (always white or blue on single-color only tests, white/blue mix on tests that support dual-color outcomes).

Out of curiosity, do the other schools have houses? If so, what are they? I know Hogwarts isn't the worlds-only magic school in the setting.

The only other schools that appear in the series are Beauxbaton in France, and Durmstrang, which is in a secret location somewhere in northern Europe, and they're not shown in enough detail to see if there are any houses. At any rate, all the students wear the same uniforms. There's others too but they're not named and none of the students ever appear.

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So, what happened to the news post today?

EDIT: It's there now, but marked to 12 hours ago. Maybe it didn't get made public.

Pyrian on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Sadgasm Ah, kinda surprised they haven't fleshed that out at all. Thanks for the response.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

The only other schools that appear in the series are Beauxbaton in France, and Durmstrang, which is in a secret location somewhere in northern Europe, and they're not shown in enough detail to see if there are any houses. At any rate, all the students wear the same uniforms. There's others too but they're not named and none of the students ever appear.

Reading on Wizarding Schools (there are many) on Pottermore, in the descriptions of the other schools, the North American one (Ilvermorny) has 4 houses too (they were inspired by Hogwarts): Horned Serpent, Wampus, Thunderbird, and Pukwudgie. There is a sorting quiz.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Pukwudgie 4 lyf, woo!

*Fires wand wildly in the air*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    trickcyclisttrickcyclist Registered User regular
    It's more a very angry badger than a bull per se...

• Options
    i mean, Hufflepuff is doing something right, right?

JK0SPXZ.jpg

I've noticed that child actors who played chubby or dorky characters tend to work like hell to cast off that image as they grow up. Look at that kid who played Urkel or the one who played Chunk now.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Huh, just took the sorting test for the American school, Ilvermorny. Got Wampus, which it sounds like is sorta similar to Gryffindor, which makes it the last thing I would have ever guessed.

And re-doing the Hogwarts test gives me Slytherin again? That's really weird. I definitely feel like I'm more Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw.

Also, these tests are much better than I remember the previous official ones being. Much less transparent or game-able. Had to create an account for Pottermore, dunno when they changed all that.

Edit: wow, there's even patronus and wand tests now? They should just straight-up make a pen and paper RPG if they're gonna go so in-depth with char-gen stuff. Got Grey squirrel for patronus, which, we've always had a lot near where I grew up, and where I live now, and I like them. Not my first choice (would've preferred something cooler, but could be worse). My wand is Alder wood, Unicorn hair core, 14 ½" in length, "Surprisingly Swishy flexibility", which leads to some interesting text on the "about my wand" page (alder wood is good for non-verbal casting, unicorn hair for consistency in results and being difficult to steal/take, which sounds like a strong combo).

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Huh, just took the sorting test for the American school, Ilvermorny. Got Wampus, which it sounds like is sorta similar to Gryffindor, which makes it the last thing I would have ever guessed.

And re-doing the Hogwarts test gives me Slytherin again? That's really weird. I definitely feel like I'm more Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw.

Also, these tests are much better than I remember the official ones being. Much less transparent or game-able. Had to create an account for Pottermore, dunno when they changed all that.

Edit: huh, there's even patronus and wand tests now? They should just straight-up make a pen and paper RPG if they're gonna go so in-depth with char-gen stuff. Got Grey squirrel for patronus, which, we've always had a lot near where I grew up, and where I live now, and I like them. Not my first choice (would've preferred something cooler, but could be worse). My wand is Alder wood, Unicorn hair core, 14 ½" in length, "Surprisingly Swishy flexibility", which leads to some interesting text on the "about my wand" page (alder wood is good for non-verbal casting, unicorn hair for consistency in results and being difficult to steal/take, which sounds like a strong combo).

According to the Pottermore short blurbs on them: Wampus would be more Hufflepuff, probably. "Argumentative, but fiercely loyal" (the latter being one of the big traits for Hufflepuff) (fun fact: the earliest mascot for Hufflepuff was a bear, but badgers are cooler anyways.)

Incidentally I got Ravenclaw/Thunderbird, but I would take Hufflepuff over basically the rest of the houses tbh. Not just because they've got Newt and Tonks... They've also produced the least dark wizards of any of the houses and had the second most members stay in the Battle of Hogwarts (behind Griffindor)

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Ah, I was making the Wampus/Gryffindor comparison based on the former being described as "representing a wizard/witch's body" and making "warriors". Somehow missed the "argumentative, but fiercely loyal" bit.

camo_sig2-400.png