As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Is Good

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And after it happens, nobody ever again raises the concern that Data can perfectly imitate the captain and take over the entire ship if he ever wanted to.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    And after it happens, nobody ever again raises the concern that Data can perfectly imitate the captain and take over the entire ship if he ever wanted to.

RIGHT!??

I hope Lore enjoys freaking out on his new emotion chip

Thank god Data didn't get it, I couldn't handle him having emotions

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Or the fact that his sentience has an off switch that can be turned off and his body taken over at any point by anyone that knows how.

This happens a lot in star trek to human, alien and android alike. It's not like anyone ever made a big deal out of Geordi being a Romulan sleeper agent either. Or anyone else who got taken over by alien means for that matter.

Casual on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The threat of Data impersonating anyone on the ship is well documented
    https://youtu.be/eQcammV9G1Y

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Data is the Superman of the Enterprise who has already gone rogue a few times, and still nobody thinks to carry around a kryptonite ring.

edit: Oh yeah, Data's off switch, I forgot about that. Not that it ever really needed to come up again, but it does come up exactly one more time, for the sole purpose to write Data out of the plot because otherwise he would completely solve the problem in about 5 minutes.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So all they have to do to disable him is trigger the switch right in the small of the back of the super-strong super-fast android who probably won't be agreeable to the attempt? Fine.

Insurrection at least came up with a remote to turn him off, even if it was pretty short range.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    They murdered Worf's bae and I'm really mad about it!!

• Options
    She was the best, god

Bonus though we gain the adorable and stoic Alexander

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    She was the best, god

Alexander seems like the second most hated cast member after Wesley

whatever tho I always thought he was great

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    She was the best, god

Whoever directed him in this episode must have told him just, like, never emote. Your mom's dead? Nah you don't even cry or say anything. It's not like you're a tiny kid or anything

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

It comes up again as a plot point in the movies starting from Generations, but for the purposes of the TV series I believe that's the last you're ever going to hear of it.
    She was the best, god

He's just kind of "there" as a kid, but it's really his return as an angry angsty teenager Klingon in DS9 that really earned him the hate.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i think i blocked out ds9 alexander

let’s leave it that way don’t tell me what i don’t remember

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    She was the best, god

To be fair even Alexander hated Alexander. He's the only person to have ever traveled back in time for the sole purpose of punching his child self in the face.

• Options
    K'Ehleyr was the best and I really loved her personality

Head canon she survives and her and Worf's marital discord / passionate makeups burn hot enough to fuel the warp drive core for a few seasons

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

It comes up again as a plot point in the movies starting from Generations, but for the purposes of the TV series I believe that's the last you're ever going to hear of it.
    She was the best, god

He's just kind of "there" as a kid, but it's really his return as an angry angsty teenager Klingon in DS9 that really earned him the hate.

It will come up once more in Season 6, but that is the end of it for the TV series. I think that is also the last Lore episode. I think it was a really good two parter as well, but I don't know how much my opinion lines up with others.

• Options
    Alexander gets a bit better when he comes back with a brand new child actor.

It's only the one episode, but Alexander and Lwaxana is a crack pairing that actually worked.

• Options
    Watching Menage a Troi. Ew gross, Neelix is a ferengi.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Head canon she survives and her and Worf's marital discord / passionate makeups burn hot enough to fuel the warp drive core for a few seasons

B'elanna on Voyager is basically a do-over on K'Ehleyr I think?

• Options
    Alexander gets a bit better when he comes back with a brand new child actor.

It's only the one episode, but Alexander and Lwaxana is a crack pairing that actually worked.

eee I am excite

• Options
    edited March 2018
    s3e23 Transfiguration:
    Quit breaking your spine Worf, that's the third one this week.

episode ends with Zarkonian evolving in to spandex body suit man.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The good news is Suzie Plakson comes back for Voyager. The bad news is it's a particularly stupid episode.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Supposedly B'lenna was again, supposed to be Ro Laren, but the actress didn't want to commit to a full series.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    That Matte painting at the start of Best of Both Worlds is fucking metal
    w6dlfvjrhnd6.jpg

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    w6dlfvjrhnd6.jpg

Needs more snarling demonic entities, weird Geiger stuff, or fungus in the background instead of grass. Maybe some fire or something.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    w6dlfvjrhnd6.jpg

Needs more snarling demonic entities, weird Geiger stuff, or fungus in the background instead of grass. Maybe some fire or something.

what about like a mcdonald's or something so much wasted advertising space

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Chanus wrote: »
    w6dlfvjrhnd6.jpg

what about like a mcdonald's or something so much wasted advertising space

That would be okay provided that the McDonalds was in a state of recent ruin, or like had blood overflowing out the doors or something.

These are just examples, really; there are a lot of ways you can go. I feel confident stating that grass is not metal, however.

And, to anticipate the response, "Grass," by contrast is very metal for some. CF Dopethrone and such.

E: Also it is a cool painting, to be clear, but that's a fairly pacific-looking background on the crater is my main point here.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Supposedly B'lenna was again, supposed to be Ro Laren, but the actress didn't want to commit to a full series.

Did Michelle Forbes ever commit to these roles then back out? Because that's twice that they wanted to use her, only to have to make an original character when she didn't take it. After she passed on DS9, it seems odd that they'd try to get her on as a regular again in another Trek show.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

Did Michelle Forbes ever commit to these roles then back out? Because that's twice that they wanted to use her, only to have to make an original character when she didn't take it. After she passed on DS9, it seems odd that they'd try to get her on as a regular again in another Trek show.

Given her showing up as Admiral Cain on BSG, one assumes it was a Moore-driven initiative of some kind?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just as well, I was 1000% done with Bajorans after DS9. I'd prefer to keep their hardon for the wormhole Prophets contained in just one series. (you absolutely know there'd have been at least one episode centered on maybe the Prophets will totally help us get back home!)

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Disco is pretty good, fronds.

Disco is LIFE

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Just as well, I was 1000% done with Bajorans after DS9. I'd prefer to keep their hardon for the wormhole Prophets contained in just one series. (you absolutely know there'd have been at least one episode centered on maybe the Prophets will totally help us get back home!)

you're in luck! Ro isn't religious and doesn't believe in the prophets!

also I hadn't heard that story of them offering the role to Forbes for Voyager, that's super interesting.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Was Ro supposed to take Kiras role or something? If so thank god she turned it down, Nana Visitor is ten times the actress.

• Options
    I'm not sure where this weird desire for crossover in Voyager comes from, Tom Paris was supposed to be Locarno from the academy shuttle crash episode of TNG, even though they did manage to get the same actor back in that case they changed their minds anyway. Something about Locarnos character being too irredeemable.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I thought it was more to do with not wanting to pay the writer of that original episode a character residual?

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I thought it was more to do with not wanting to pay the writer of that original episode a character residual?

That may well be the real world reason but the publicized version is that they felt Locarno having been embroiled in an accidental homicide conspiracy was too "unstarfleet" to be redeemed in voyager.

I think in this case it would have been much cooler if they had stuck with that character, especially since they went with the same actor anyway.

Casual on
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

That may well be the real world reason but the publicized version is that they felt Locarno having been embroiled in a accidental homicide conspiracy was too "unstarfleet" to be redeemed in voyager.

I think in this case it would have been much cooler if they had stuck with that plane, especially since they went with the same actor anyway.

Especially given that in all other respects he's the same guy

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Was Ro supposed to take Kiras role or something? If so thank god she turned it down, Nana Visitor is ten times the actress.

Michelle Forbes is a super good actress, wtf!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Michelle Forbes is a super good actress, wtf!

And Nana Visitor is ten times better!

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Disco is pretty good, fronds.

LMK when I can watch it in the US without passing through CBS's paygate

Grumble

This discussion has been closed.