As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Is Good

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Casual wrote: »
    I'm not sure where this weird desire for crossover in Voyager comes from, Tom Paris was supposed to be Locarno from the academy shuttle crash episode of TNG, even though they did manage to get the same actor back in that case they changed their minds anyway. Something about Locarnos character being too irredeemable.

Easier for them to use those leftover TNG season 7 scripts. Don’t even have to find-replace on those that way.

MsAnthropy on
    Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Disco is pretty good, fronds.

LMK when I can watch it in the US without passing through CBS's paygate

Grumble

i haven't looked yet but my plan was using a cbs free trial to binge it once the season wrapped up, which it has

but i was also just kind of assuming that would work

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Have a non US'ian friend give you an access code to their Netflix account. Boom Disco goodness.*

*I have no idea if that would work or not

Casual on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Grumble

i haven't looked yet but my plan was using a cbs free trial to binge it once the season wrapped up, which it has

Yeah, my "I'll just get the free trial and watch it one week," idea was semi-derailed by the discovery that Deep Space Nine gets dramatically better overall in its second season.

My father is now watching it in semi-parallel and believes first season Bashir should be thrown into a lake and drowned, per a communique I received yesterday.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    oh yeah I forgot about free trial

I will pencil that in for when I'm done with TNG and DS9

soo....maybe this fall...

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Was Ro supposed to take Kiras role or something? If so thank god she turned it down, Nana Visitor is ten times the actress.

Michelle Forbes is a super good actress, wtf!

And Nana Visitor is ten times better!

somebody didn't watch BSG....

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh yeah I forgot about free trial

I will pencil that in for when I'm done with TNG and DS9

soo....maybe this fall...

I mean, I'd Watch Voy before bothering with Disco if you're gonna do a full star trek watch. Voyager is shit compared to TNG and DS9 but there are still a ton of good episodes and if you like average TNG it's just a ton more of that.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Have a non US'ian friend give you an access code to their Netflix account. Boom Disco goodness.*

*I have no idea if that would work or not

It does not. Netflix is region-locked, not account-locked. You can use your Netflix ID anywhere and the content you see will be based on where you are connecting from.

edited March 2018
    Okay "Future Imperfect"

Riker is salt n peppa now and it looks great
    Picard's goatee is awful
    Crusher hasn't aged a day of course
    Data looks rull weird in a red uniform

Lol Riker named his kid Jean Luc man come on

So It Goes on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Was Ro supposed to take Kiras role or something? If so thank god she turned it down, Nana Visitor is ten times the actress.

Michelle Forbes is a super good actress, wtf!

And Nana Visitor is ten times better!

somebody didn't watch BSG....

I actually haven't so I'm judging her solely on the merits of her performance as Ensign Ro. Which isn't to say she's bad, by TNG standards she's absolutely top 25%, but Visitor made some of my favourite episodes of star trek ever.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I had no idea her name was Nana Visitor, so this whole exchange has been very confusing.
    I kept thinking that was some weird alien's name.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I always wondered what would happen if someone loaded up a holodeck with a simulated engineering crew and told them to solve problem X. It's weird that in the Trek future the Turing test means exactly dick. It's also kind of creepy that Voyager's Doctor eventually got granted something like personhood rights since he'd been active so long and had outgrown his original programming, while every other holodeck personality out there gets turned on and off and reset back to their baseline without anyone worrying that they're killing a nascent sentience. Never mind the two Moriarty episodes where the Enterprise's computer just up and creates a full on AI because someone asked it to, and the crew then imprisoned in an artificial universe and never talked about it again. Or the time the Enterprise had a baby...

TNG Trek was weird as fuck on the subject of AI.

AI research is currently focused on giving a system a set of guidelines

But no mention of a towel anywhere. 0/10

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Okay "Future Imperfect"

Riker is salt n peppa now and it looks great
    Picard's goatee is awful
    Crusher hasn't aged a day of course
    Data looks rull weird in a red uniform

Lol Riker named his kid Jean Luc man come on

That one in particular stretches credibility, it's true.

Now, Luke Riker, I could see.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited March 2018
    Good ep, good ep

So It Goes on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I had no idea her name was Nana Visitor, so this whole exchange has been very confusing.
    I kept thinking that was some weird alien's name.

Life is life, nana visitor.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Okay TNG makeup artists you've gone too far

9keWmYXl.jpg

Wait'll you see the Nose Guy who comes around to threaten Quark on DS9!

That's a pretty bad one though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    that species only breaths though their mouths, so that things a filter or something

they eat through their butts

It's a vagina with an STD

Just...god why

edited March 2018
    Anyway back to Picard and Wesley facing certain death on a desert planet

On and some other guy who'll surely die shortly

B plot: whytf are they towing this junk ship?? You're in a vacuum just push it away from you in the direction you want it to go

So It Goes on
    I still say those space bums from DS9 are worse
    gj2aqv5qcf8b.jpg

edited March 2018
    Anyway back to Picard and Wesley facing certain death on a desert planet

On and some other guy who'll surely die shortly

B plot: whytf are they towing this junk ship?? You're in a vacuum just push it away from you in the direction you want it to go

I am going to assume because it is Star Trek, and thus tragedies have a quantum property where if they're observed by a cast member, they can be averted.

There's also the sorta-concern that someone will steal it if they just let it drift.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

oh man we get introduced to Keiko for the first time aaaand

she's calling off her wedding and making Data deliver the news???

yikes

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can't remember when it was, but there was a TNG where they met a time traveller and Picard got stuck on the wrong side of the Prime Directive.
    I really liked that one, because usually it's other people asking him to avert a catastrophe, and he's all 'The Prime Directive says we have to let you all die', and he's so devoted to the idea like it's the moral high ground.
    It's nice to see him asking someone else for something he's not supposed to have. I just wish he'd learned a lesson from it, but the ending kind of ruined that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I thought it was more to do with not wanting to pay the writer of that original episode a character residual?

That's a rumor. To be fair, it's a rumor I find plausible, but it's never been solidly proven.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Is that the one that was supposed to feature Robin Williams as the time traveller* but he couldn't do it because he was shooting Hook? Robin Williams would have been great there.
    *Berlinghoff Rasmussen

danx on
    edited March 2018
    klemming wrote: »
    I can't remember when it was, but there was a TNG where they met a time traveller and Picard got stuck on the wrong side of the Prime Directive.
    I really liked that one, because usually it's other people asking him to avert a catastrophe, and he's all 'The Prime Directive says we have to let you all die', and he's so devoted to the idea like it's the moral high ground.
    It's nice to see him asking someone else for something he's not supposed to have. I just wish he'd learned a lesson from it, but the ending kind of ruined that.

yeah but it turned out that max headroom was just there to steal everyone's wallets.
    Joke's on him, there's no money in any of e'm.

DanHibiki on
    Best of Both Worlds is fucking great, so many subtle things like Picard stoically staring as probes drill in to his head and a single tear rolls down his cheek.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    oh man we get introduced to Keiko for the first time aaaand

she's calling off her wedding and making Data deliver the news???

yikes

I found Keiko to be insufferable when I was ten and that opinion hasn't changed today.

I thought it was more to do with not wanting to pay the writer of that original episode a character residual?

That may well be the real world reason but the publicized version is that they felt Locarno having been embroiled in an accidental homicide conspiracy was too "unstarfleet" to be redeemed in voyager.

I think in this case it would have been much cooler if they had stuck with that character, especially since they went with the same actor anyway.

Yeah they've said that as the "official" reason, but Paris' origin is so minutely different from Locarno's that the distinction is purely in the realm of pedantry. They 100% simply didn't want to pay royalties.

• LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Okay TNG makeup artists you've gone too far

9keWmYXl.jpg
    Brundle fly still not human

Robert Picard: You and your wretched technology Jean Luc, it's destroying our culture and our way of life and i'll let one of those damnable fire extinguishers in to my house over my dead body!

edited March 2018
    Lore spent 2 years floating in space only to be rescued by these guys:
    xax4la9oihro.jpg

i bet two minutes with them and he was already pining for the cold vacuum of space.

DanHibiki on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Lore spent 2 years floating in space only to be rescued by these guys:
    xax4la9oihro.jpg

i bet two minutes with them and he was already pining for the cold vacuum of space.

I bet three minutes with them and they were pining to have their insides back on the inside again.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and/or had replaced him in "floating in space".

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

Grumble

Yeah, my "I'll just get the free trial and watch it one week," idea was semi-derailed by the discovery that Deep Space Nine gets dramatically better overall in its second season.

My father is now watching it in semi-parallel and believes first season Bashir should be thrown into a lake and drowned, per a communique I received yesterday.

I remember how in the first episode, Bashir has this whole spiel about how he loves to do frontier medicine out here in the wilderness and Kira immediately hacks him off at the knees, leaving him stammering and floundering.

Can't remember if Bashir got dunked on a bunch of other times in season 1. It probably would've helped.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I had never seen this before. Riker shilling enterprise management solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6mp5hVSSc

rRwz9.gif
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    What...the...actual fuck

God, the 90s were weird.

Strikor on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I had never seen this before. Riker shilling enterprise management solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6mp5hVSSc

"Just one more thing - I had this fantasy that... do you think for just one minute, I could..."

Riker: *smiles knowingly*

Donnicton on
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    So THAT`S where the Scroll Down to Riker image came from!

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
This discussion has been closed.