As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Calling 2018 Cosplayers!

2»

• VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    MdmZombie wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in doing meetups or trying to get some pictures while at PAX, jump over to my Cosplay Photography thread. Once I know the interest and the panel schedule I will make a little informal schedule :biggrin:

General meetups or specifically for pictures? Not sure which the thread is fully for.

Wishes he could change his username
  • MdmZombieMdmZombie MIRegistered User regular
    VGguy49 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in doing meetups or trying to get some pictures while at PAX, jump over to my Cosplay Photography thread. Once I know the interest and the panel schedule I will make a little informal schedule :biggrin:

General meetups or specifically for pictures? Not sure which the thread is fully for.

My hope is to get cosplayers (singles or groups based on game, movie, etc) matched up with photographers. It is hard to get in touch and get mini-shoots figured out when you aren't from the area. I know there are times where I wish I had at least 1 nice picture from the con or had gotten the information from the person (business card, IG, email etc) and I thought that doing some meetup times would help myself and others with this issue.

• VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular

VGguy49 wrote: »

My hope is to get cosplayers (singles or groups based on game, movie, etc) matched up with photographers. It is hard to get in touch and get mini-shoots figured out when you aren't from the area. I know there are times where I wish I had at least 1 nice picture from the con or had gotten the information from the person (business card, IG, email etc) and I thought that doing some meetup times would help myself and others with this issue.

Ah okay thanks for the clarification!

Wishes he could change his username
  • vaultfoxvaultfox Registered User new member
    I'll just be cosplaying on Saturday since I want to take it a bit easy this year. I'll be Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn!

izxPEY9.jpg

• smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'm working on a Rocket Raccoon cosplay. Spring break just started so I hope to make a lot of progress this week. I'm going to skip the rocket launcher for now, Pax is just not the right con to lug that thing around! I need mai little coon hands to play me some vidja gamez. My friend is going to be lady Starlord, we'll be rocking the 80s jams 8-)

Past costumes here if you're interested!

• sciurussciurus Registered User new member
    Going as Strix from Dice Camera Action & AQ:I on Friday. Working on making a glowing broom/staff.

• SpiderMan120988SpiderMan120988 Registered User new member
    This is my first time going to PAX East! Gonna be dressed as a Sith Acolyte:

• Nara_HaleNara_Hale Registered User regular
    Nara_Hale wrote: »
    I'll only be there Sunday, but I'll probably go as Joker from Persona 5, or Yukiko from Persona 4! I have both cosplays, and I've never worn Yukiko to a con before, but Joker is a little more fun!

I'm changing my mind about my cosplay and could use some advice! I just went through Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls and fell in love with the Servant's (Komaeda's) outfit. I am putting together all the pieces, and I THINK it will be put together on time. It will probably be a more comfortable cosplay than Joker, definitely more comfortable than Yukiko (who is not really a consideration at this point...sorry Yukiko)...but what do you guys think?

If I don't get it on time, I'm definitely going with Joker, but if I do, should I go with Joker or Servant!Komaeda?

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    I'll only be there Sunday, but I'll probably go as Joker from Persona 5, or Yukiko from Persona 4! I have both cosplays, and I've never worn Yukiko to a con before, but Joker is a little more fun!

I'm changing my mind about my cosplay and could use some advice! I just went through Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls and fell in love with the Servant's (Komaeda's) outfit. I am putting together all the pieces, and I THINK it will be put together on time. It will probably be a more comfortable cosplay than Joker, definitely more comfortable than Yukiko (who is not really a consideration at this point...sorry Yukiko)...but what do you guys think?

If I don't get it on time, I'm definitely going with Joker, but if I do, should I go with Joker or Servant!Komaeda?

I’m biased because I cosplay Fuyuhoko, Kaede, and kiibo- all Danganronpa characters- but I’ll likely be cosplaying Ratchet and Clank on Saturday.

• ProGreedProGreed Registered User regular
    Hey cosplayers! I'm looking to be a first time cosplayer this coming 2018 season and wondered if you have had any trouble getting in with weapons? I'm looking at 3D printing a gun and knife for a Titanfall cosplay and wondered how much of a problem this would present? I know they will want the gun to have an orange tip and put a zip tie on it but I'm worried it looks "too real" and they will not allow it in, same with the knife.

ProGreed wrote: »
    Hey cosplayers! I'm looking to be a first time cosplayer this coming 2018 season and wondered if you have had any trouble getting in with weapons? I'm looking at 3D printing a gun and knife for a Titanfall cosplay and wondered how much of a problem this would present? I know they will want the gun to have an orange tip and put a zip tie on it but I'm worried it looks "too real" and they will not allow it in, same with the knife.

Follow the guidelines. No moving parts on the gun, orange tip. Do not zip tie it- that’s what security does to say you’ve been cleared.

ProGreed wrote: »

No sharp edges on the knife. Make sure it is very blunt. You shouldn't have an issue with it being 3D printed. Worbla weapons are fine. Just nothing that is metal blade wise. Or sharp wood (like little sister needle made of wood)

Wow thank you for such fast responses! I'll make sure to follow your directions and hope all goes well!!

• Sabi-CatSabi-Cat Registered User new member
    gljeffords wrote: »
    I'm gonna be female Dante from Devil May Cry!

uz65riib6ugh.jpg

This is an old photo, I've since remade the jacket, vest, and redid the wig. I'm even building the guns from scratch. OY VEY

WE HAVE TO FIND EACH OTHER!! I'm doing fem!Dante from DMC3, and my friend is my fem!Nero!! <3

• JeoJeo Registered User regular
    I'll be rocking my new version of Male Yang from RWBY. Heres a pic of my old version from 2016. I didnt cosplay last year and missed doing it :(

pbm34hvx97xy.jpg

• MottiMotti Registered User new member
    Is there anyone that will be dressing up as DCU characters? I'm planning on dressing as the Joker in the bank heist outfit from "The Dark Knight". I wanted to find other people who would like to be the other crew members, since it's an easy costume to do.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Saw this on Reddit and wanted to x-post to make sure you all were aware. It has some advisories for cosplayers staying at the Seaport.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PAX/comments/83yfac/psa_michelle_obama_is_speaking_at_the_seaport/

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah, it's been posted on these forums a few times iirc but can't hurt to have it here too

• builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    That last minute cosplay struggle...

steam_sig.png
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if there is a room to change into our cosplay? If there is, will anyone be there because I need help to put my wings on my Mercy cosplay? And can we leave some stuff there while we walk around?

4k2hf1attmdf.png
    SuzieQ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a room to change into our cosplay? If there is, will anyone be there because I need help to put my wings on my Mercy cosplay? And can we leave some stuff there while we walk around?

Most likely not. There wasn't a cosplayer's lounge last year. They do have a bag and coat check that I have used in the past to keep my streetwear in to change into at the end of the day. I just use the large stall in the bathroom since I've never stayed in one of the super close hotels.

If you need help with wings, I'm sure anyone in costume would be willing to help, at least that has been my experience. You can also post when you plan to arrive. I'd be more than happy to help if I am in the building by then :)

SuzieQ wrote: »

This was just posted recently!!!

Creator & Cospitality Lounge
    Our ever-popular Cospitality Lounge is back to provide a home base for all members of PAX’s incredible cosplay community. As always, the lounge is open to any and all cosplayers (and handlers), regardless of inspiration, so whether you’re in need of repairs or simple relaxation just stop by Room #102B. We’re also using the lounge as a base to chat with all kinds of creators — stop by from 12-12:45pm any day of PAX and say hello if you’re a content creator!

• UnakiUnaki Registered User new member
    I actually finished my costume in time. Its kinda scary lol.

https://imgur.com/a/o9ae8

• gljeffordsgljeffords Registered User new member
    Hey all you wonderful cosplayers, I am in a predicament. So I posted before about how I'm going as Dante from Devil May Cry and I'm making his guns Ebony and Ivory from scratch. The guns have these wonderful portraits of women on the grips but I can't get a good picture of either one. Now Leonardo da Vinci is my hero, so I'm using a couple of his lesser known portraits, the Madonna of the Rocks and La Belle Ferronniere. Do you think these will be passable?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/La_belle_ferronnière,Leonardo_da_Vinci_-_Louvre.jpg/1200px-La_belle_ferronnière,Leonardo_da_Vinci_-_Louvre.jpg

http://paintingandframe.com/uploadpic/leonardo_da_vinci/big/madonna_of_the_rocks.jpg

PS for the Madonna, I'm going to crop for just the Madonna's face, so I'm not trying to shove a 5 foot painting on there lol

• KaspurrKaspurr Registered User new member
    Heyo, I'm going to be casual Tracer(every day human version, without armor or guns), and I'm going to the Overwatch cosplay meetup on Friday April 6th at 1:00.
    There's 6 people already going and I'd love to see more meeting up. There's a facebook group for place and info c:

• Premarital HeadpatsPremarital Headpats Registered User new member
    edited April 2018
    Hey all you wonderful cosplayers, I am in a predicament. So I posted before about how I'm going as Dante from Devil May Cry and I'm making his guns Ebony and Ivory from scratch. The guns have these wonderful portraits of women on the grips but I can't get a good picture of either one. Now Leonardo da Vinci is my hero, so I'm using a couple of his lesser known portraits, the Madonna of the Rocks and La Belle Ferronniere. Do you think these will be passable?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/La_belle_ferronnière,Leonardo_da_Vinci_-_Louvre.jpg/1200px-La_belle_ferronnière,Leonardo_da_Vinci_-_Louvre.jpg

http://paintingandframe.com/uploadpic/leonardo_da_vinci/big/madonna_of_the_rocks.jpg

PS for the Madonna, I'm going to crop for just the Madonna's face, so I'm not trying to shove a 5 foot painting on there lol

I'm in a bit of a predicament myself; I'm going as one of the Professionals, a Terrorist faction from CS:GO, and I just noticed the other day that they expanded the prop weapons rules for this year. Both my prop rifle (deactivated airsoft gun) and my prop handgun (solid resin replica) are now banned, and I'm having my doubts about the prop grenade and the butterfly comb, which is made of metal. But last year, the rifle was already banned and they let me in with it anyway, as well as the handgun and grenade. What do you think my chances are this year? Last year I put orange electrical tape on the end of the barrel of both guns; do you think that will help if I do it again this year?

Also, since I'm planning on trying to enter with those iffy props anyway, I need a backup plan if they turn me away at the door. I'm hoping to park nearby, and then I can just stash any unacceptable props in my car and try again. The nearest parking lot I can find on a map is Fish Pier West at 212 Northern Avenue (and right near The Whiskey Priest too, woohoo!) Does anyone know if that lot tends to fill up early?

Or, better yet, can anyone going on Thursday with similar props report back if you're allowed in with them? Honestly these rules are getting out of hand; what do they expect people with cosplays that involve firearms to use? Cardboard cut-outs?

Premarital Headpats on
    Still kicking myself because my hero Daisuke Amaya (Pixel) was at PAX East 2014 the same day as me and I didn't see him
  • HerroPplzHerroPplz Registered User new member
    This is my fourth year going to pax. My first year cosplaying. I'm going as Chun Li from Street Fighter.

• gljeffordsgljeffords Registered User new member

I'm in a bit of a predicament myself; I'm going as one of the Professionals, a Terrorist faction from CS:GO, and I just noticed the other day that they expanded the prop weapons rules for this year. Both my prop rifle (deactivated airsoft gun) and my prop handgun (solid resin replica) are now banned, and I'm having my doubts about the prop grenade and the butterfly comb, which is made of metal. But last year, the rifle was already banned and they let me in with it anyway, as well as the handgun and grenade. What do you think my chances are this year? Last year I put orange electrical tape on the end of the barrel of both guns; do you think that will help if I do it again this year?

Also, since I'm planning on trying to enter with those iffy props anyway, I need a backup plan if they turn me away at the door. I'm hoping to park nearby, and then I can just stash any unacceptable props in my car and try again. The nearest parking lot I can find on a map is Fish Pier West at 212 Northern Avenue (and right near The Whiskey Priest too, woohoo!) Does anyone know if that lot tends to fill up early?

Or, better yet, can anyone going on Thursday with similar props report back if you're allowed in with them? Honestly these rules are getting out of hand; what do they expect people with cosplays that involve firearms to use? Cardboard cut-outs?

So they told me that a big glob of orange paint on the tips of my guns would suffice. I would take a photo and email it to them and ask if it's acceptable. At least that way you'll have a little advanced warning and don't have to lug them anywhere. But I agree, the prop rules are getting way too restrictive. Not even theaters have such restrictions. I should know, I'm a stage hand.

• SuzieQSuzieQ Registered User regular
    Kaspurr wrote: »
    Heyo, I'm going to be casual Tracer(every day human version, without armor or guns), and I'm going to the Overwatch cosplay meetup on Friday April 6th at 1:00.
    There's 6 people already going and I'd love to see more meeting up. There's a facebook group for place and info c:

Hey, I didn't know there was an Overwatch meetup on Friday too. I know there is one on Saturday @ 2pm. Here is the link: https://eventhits.net/boston/overwatch-cosplay-meetup-pax-east-2018/

4k2hf1attmdf.png
  • GrimglaiveGrimglaive Registered User regular
    I don't know that I'll ever do cosplaying myself, but I LOVE seeing it around. Nerds with a creative passion? YES! What is the best way to support this art or be a part of its community if one is not necessarily a creator? Distribute high fives and thumbs ups for all that hard work and dedication, sure, but is there a kind of engagement you yourselves as artists appreciate? Or do the pictures and words of encouragement/admiration make it all worth it?

Regardless, good luck out there and have fun~

• slusiveslusive Registered User new member
    If I cosplay can I also play the games that Pax east has?

• GrimglaiveGrimglaive Registered User regular
    slusive wrote: »
    If I cosplay can I also play the games that Pax east has?

Why not? :) Unless you can't sit or use your hands or something because of your outfit, of course you can play! Even then, I'm sure someone would be more than happy to help you.

• smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Hi! If you had a chance to check it out, what was everyone's opinion of the Cosplay Lounge?

smorggie wrote: »
    Hi! If you had a chance to check it out, what was everyone's opinion of the Cosplay Lounge?

It was good... when it was open. They were really only open from 10-2. Then the lounge was from creators until 4 and it closed at 5 but I stopped by at 430 and the creators thing went over time so they wouldn’t let me in to get water (they did bring me some though).

• Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Hey cosplayers. Hope you don't mind me sharing the images I've taken over the weekend of you guys.

Here:
    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/RtCpP

If you see yourself, please let me know.

Is it me or did the cosplay scene suddenly exploded this year? Very happy to see a massive increase of cosplay at this year's PAX.

Oh and shout outs to the large cosplay gathering of Overwatch and League of Legends on Friday and Saturday.

Canderson1989 on
    Gray area question for cosplay; if I have a "grenade" that is 3D printed but I want to magnetically attach the pin so I can pull it and place it at will, would this be a problem? To be exact, it's a Titanfall 2 arc grenade so it doesn't look anything like a real grenade.

• irtsukiirtsuki internetRegistered User regular
    I was going to pull out my Wrench from watchdogs2 last year and decided against it because i was cold. I think I will make more of an effort this year to wear it. The mask is cool. plus if i need to I will just take the T home and change or something.

༼ノಠل͟ಠ༽ノ-︵-┻━┻