As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Prince of Persia 08 was a bit more about exploration than straight platforming... it also was about combat being a big deal every single time it occurred which, let's be honest, the Sands of Time trilogy did not do a great job of handling.

While I agree the combat was a lot better, I still prefer the controls and challenge of Sands of Time or it's sequels any day

Sands of Time was a proper platformer where the combat was... serviceable, but mainly there to pad the game out.

Warrior Within definitely expanded the depth of the combat, but it also tried to do non-linear platforming world exploration involving way too much back-tracking (and back-back-tracking) without properly signalling where to go next and was also was buggy as all hell... and that's on top of the super emo grimdark makeover that they gave it.

The Two Thrones managed to finally hit the balance between combat and platforming, and even managed to retcon the emo game in a surprisingly good way.

Oh yeah, The Forgotten Sands was pretty good, too! They brought everybody's favorite prince back for one more outing to try and capitalize on the live-action movie release! I can't believe they decided to end it on a "cliffhanger" rather than just have it lead directly into Warrior Within.

• BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    I would do unholy things for a version of Origins without the rpg bits.

All these numbers really taking the charm right out of being an assassin. When did every game become a grind...

Beautifully crafted world, all the worst parts of modern AAA =/

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Apparently this now has an educational mode. I'll be giving it a go after work.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17033024/assassins-creed-origins-discovery-tour-educational-mode-release

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Beefers wrote: »
    I would do unholy things for a version of Origins without the rpg bits.

All these numbers really taking the charm right out of being an assassin. When did every game become a grind...

Beautifully crafted world, all the worst parts of modern AAA =/

I despise loot treadmills. That little skinner box dopamine hit that a person is supposed to get when they whack an enemy and random loot pops out? I don't seem to get that in most games. The barrage of random loot items in Origins is one of the reasons why I quickly came to hate the game.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    New Game+ is available now in Origins with a special reward for completing it. Ubisoft hasn't said what the reward is though. I'm guessing robes or some special weapon.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I just either break everything down to materials or sell it unless it’s a legendary weapon I don’t already have. I’ve got a stack of legendaries sitting around.

But I’ve used the same stuff for a long time just upgrading. The upgrade system basically gets rid of any loot treadmill. The game isn’t hard enough to grind for specific weapon stats.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I would spend 100s of hours in educational mode if Ubi ever gives it the full VR treatment. It's nice just wandering around at my leisure taking in the game's detail.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Part of what drew me in to Origins was the RPG and loot elements. I absolutely get that hit of dopamine when I get some shiny shit and I love making numbers get bigger. I've spent far, far, far too much of my life playing crap like Tap Titans on my phone when riding the bus or train.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    honestly I barely even noticed the rpg elements, though I can understand why someone would be put off by them. For me, the animal hunting mats was neat fun, and the overall freedom the combat and stealth systems provided in terms of challenges and how I approached them felt way more satisfying as a player with origins. Im super happy that its going to be the standard being built upon going forward

Also they got rid of eagle vision! Which made me so happy. Im so sick of detective modes in games. "Heres a beautiful world, now spend 50% of your time looking at in two colours"

Prohass on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    If they just improve the combat I'll be very happy. It's a good base but it needs work.

The only times I get to areas I can't do due to levelling is when my desire to explore takes over. I've now seen the whole map and I think I'm about 2/3 into the story. I know I've reached areas I'm not meant to be in yet following story progression, but I'm an explorer. It's fun. So sometimes I'll scout out a fortress and see red skulls over everyone and I just shrug and go find something else.

It's not like there's a shortage of things to do. My current progress is at 60% and 47 hours, but looking at the map I've got couple of dozen forts to knock over still, a lot of question marks everywhere, treasure to find, tombs to explore. If you find that you've reached an area that's out levelled you, double back to where you came from and you'll find so much still to do.

edited February 2018
    its not for everyone but I enjoyed the side effect of the leveling system wherein there was an actual reason to try and stealth a place. In previous assassins creed combat was so easy that there was no real incentive to stealth other than mission requirements. Whereas in this, I loved challenging myself by approaching a higher level fort and trying to reduce numbers through stealth and just generally think outside the box as a way to overcome the power of the enemies in open combat.

Prohass on
    edited February 2018
    Man I just keep playing this game. I haven't been hooked by a game like this in a long time. I think I've consulted a guide maybe three times. Twice for Papyrus locations because the hints they gave didn't point to where they meant particularly well, and once when I read about the 'ultimate' armour. I just spend time in game unlocking things by exploring and reading the in game dialogue. And more time. And more time. Spent the last couple of days hunting down the last of the Phylakes, finding the last Papyrus, and going through the tombs.
    The tombs are great. The bits at the end where the First Civilization are speaking to Layla rather than Bayek through the animus are really well done. The mechanism in the Sphinx is curious - it says Laylas animus is different, and implies it has the ability to cause change in the past? The whole message from the tombs looks like Ubisoft have settled on a kind of time travel as their next big First Civilization thing. Using the animus to cause change to prevent the future.

The Isu armour is awesome. I don't care that I look like a spaceman running around ancient Egypt. I might even spring for the skin pack that gives you a horse and weapons to match.

-Loki- on
    Alright, I finally finished this game. Took me 62 hours and I finished the story at 85% complete. What an absolute blast. I'm going to potter around finishing up the forts, loot, king animals and side quests before I move on to The Hidden Ones.

edited March 2018
    Yeah, I've gotten back in to this hard and am making my push to finish it now before starting the DLC. Bayek is such a great character, he's just likeable in every way. I stopped caring about the overall meta story in AC a long time ago, but I am completely enthralled with Bayek's story and the late period Egypt setting. They do an amazing job of making you realize just how old Egypt really is. The characters in this game are closer to us in the world timeline than they are the people who built the pyramids.

I may go back and try and play Syndicate again after this. I just bounced off the industrial revolution themed England the first time but I may give it another shot.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bayek is my favorite AC main character. Like he was personable, and completely understandable. He was a man of loss that was trying to not make it define him and failing in a way that was completely believable.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    they also made him a roving cop which helped me immerse myself in the roleplaying of "help randos"

Most games dont bother to give you a good reason why youre even doing side quests

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah and why people would come up and request your help. Bayek is a symbol of the old world and they wanted to hope he could help them all out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I’m still picking away at the core game. I just finished Blade of the Goddess. With the AC games it always seems like the closer I sense I’m getting to the ending, the less I want to play the main story. The game always feels floaty to me, in that you don’t have to advance the plot unless you’re in an active mission. So anytime you can access the map it’s like a separate reality from the big arc that the game is trying to sell you on.

I almost wish, like, the free-roaming stuff and the linear plot stuff actually were separate storylines like the free-roaming mode is Bayek from like a year ago, still finding his feet in a wandering age, and the plot stuff is like a straight run of critical shit. But Bayek can recall things he did in the past anytime he wants to to enter that free roaming mode.

I know that would muck with the skill tree and gaining experience and all that, but I’m sure there’s a way to design the mechanics around the conceit.

Open world games always have that problem. It's hard to design a flowing narrative when at any time the player can just stop doing the story and start dicking around for a few hours, then pick the story back up and the mission starts with 'so Like I was saying 5 minutes ago...'. The only real way out of it is not let the player get out of the mission chain if they narratively need to follow on from each other, and design the story so the overall timeframe isn't clear.

They did both of these for the last few mission sets, but overall they could have chained a few more together to make it flow better.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The weirdest thing for me is, as-is, I kind of hate the chained missions because 99% of the time I’m either doing it for the XP or I’m doing it to open up a new area/get a new thing. Having unexpected developments during a quest should be cool, but the fact that you’re locked into these event hallways until you’re really, really done with the quest makes being in them less fun.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So the expansion is huge and utterly batshit.
    I love it

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Going to make my push to finish the main story tonight so I can move on to The Hidden Ones. I got Bayek to level 35 last night and did a little jaunt around to some of the areas I hadn't been to yet just to check them out. Curious how many of these areas ever get used in the story since I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end and there are entire sections of the map I've never been guided towards.

Question about Curse of the Pharoahs
    How the hell am I supposed to beat these twin-blade mummies, when they fucking block all ranged attacks and take away a quarter of my health with one charged blow, and I can't land more than one or two hits before they hit me and stagger me?

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Question about Curse of the Pharoahs
    How the hell am I supposed to beat these twin-blade mummies, when they fucking block all ranged attacks and take away a quarter of my health with one charged blow, and I can't land more than one or two hits before they hit me and stagger me?
    Wait for her to finish her combo before striking, and focuse on building up adrenaline. She's also not restitant to fire, so use your bombs liberally

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Finished the main story this weekend and went around and finished the stone circles and tombs. Started on The Hidden Ones. This game is just something else. It's been a really long time since I got so in to an Assassin's Creed game that I am itching to do the DLC content and keep playing as this character. My only real complaint right now is the number of Carbon Crystals required for upgrades now. Ooof. Is there some source of them in Hidden Ones/The Curse of the Pharaohs that I don't know about? Doing two and three spear camps to get one crystal is really time consuming.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    Finished the main story this weekend and went around and finished the stone circles and tombs. Started on The Hidden Ones. This game is just something else. It's been a really long time since I got so in to an Assassin's Creed game that I am itching to do the DLC content and keep playing as this character. My only real complaint right now is the number of Carbon Crystals required for upgrades now. Ooof. Is there some source of them in Hidden Ones/The Curse of the Pharaohs that I don't know about? Doing two and three spear camps to get one crystal is really time consuming.

If you don't feel like clearing every single bit of content in the game to find those crystals, you can always buy them from Reda.

Yeah, I may got that route, but I am consistently poor as I keep 4-5 legendary items upgraded every 4-5 levels. So I am usually down in the 10-12k drachma range.

If all you need is carbon crystals now, stop dismantling gear drops and sell everything you don't need. Keep all the gold items if you really want, but completing the various camps and stuff will not just get you carbon crystal from there but also plenty of weapon loot to sell.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    There are also a bunch of Carbon Crystals out in the world that aren't really marked or part of site completion. If you see a weird house or rock formation out in the desert check it out. (Senu can still detect them.)

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The Hidden Ones just rains carbon crystals on you, with nothing apparent to spend them on. I ended up constrained by soft leather, of all things, for my last three or four upgrades.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Good to know, because I just started Hidden Ones last night. I'll just get going in that and not worry too much about getting Carbon Crystals.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    The Hidden Ones just rains carbon crystals on you, with nothing apparent to spend them on. I ended up constrained by soft leather, of all things, for my last three or four upgrades.
    I knew it was wise not to dump all of those mats when I finished the main game.

edited April 2018
    I wrapped up Curse of the Pharaohs tonight. I think I've done all the content I care to do at this point. According to steam I have 91 hours played.

About Curse...
    I am so glad they decided to "get weird" with everything in Curse. All the Duat stuff with the different Pharaohs and the gods and such was a real treat. The amount of content it added was incredible, and like the base game it's good content. I felt the Pharaoh fights were a bit HP spongey and I did a lot of blocking/dancing around until I had the gauge to use Overpower, but they weren't terrible. I really like how they made Tutankhamen a central figure despite being a pretty minor Pharaoh in real history (outside of archeologists finding his tomb in tact of course).

Overall I'm just really pleased with this AC. It was a historic period and place I'm super interested in, I liked the game play tweaks and the main character is one that I wanted to spend a lot of time with. It didn't hurt that it looks absolutely incredible on my 4K TV with HDR. Can't say I'm back on board with AC as a whole, because I still don't care about the meta story...but if the next AC is built with this much care and has another likeable main character, I can't see why I won't be assassinating some people again in the future.

GnomeTank on
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Not to turn it into a measuring contest, but I think I have 134 hours played and boy did it fly by. Favorite game in years!
    I agree with the curse of the pharoahs review. I have to admit I adored the afterlife areas. They look freaking gorgeous and it was fun to fight monsters for once. I do feel like the game never figured out a boss fight mode other than dodge and shoot arrows and dodge and fill overcharge. Which was fun, but I enjoyed taking forts and the story missions mostly. Also, it really wants to make me crack a history book, especially after the tour mode.

Looking forward to the next iteration!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I am so bloody hyped for that.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, a new title set in Greece, was leaked to Kotaku and Jeuxvideo...

https://kotaku.com/new-leak-reveals-assassins-creed-odyssey-set-in-ancien-1826454752

...and it seems like Ubisoft decided to go ahead and confirm it early.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Cool, I had heard some rumors of that and it def makes sense to go from Egypt to Greece. Here's hoping you can go to Athens and Sparta.

• ErrorError Registered User regular
    That teaser definitely has a "THIS IS SPARTA" vibe to it.

I don’t know... ACO takes place around 50 BC. Sparta’s heyday was centuries before that (the stuff depicted in 300 is in 480 BC). Greece was in deep decline during ACO, so I’m kinda confused as to how this could possibly be linked in any way to the literal origin of the Assassin Order. The Medjay were a very Egyptian thing, and the Hidden Ones follow from that.