As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, serious consequences of the Disney-Fox merger:

Long story short, the modern-day economics of TV are tight. Ad sales barely cover the cost of shows anymore -- they only truly become profitable when they wind up on other platforms like Netflix or Adult Swim. While TV channels in the past have bought shows from all kinds of studios, even direct competitors, most shows are now essentially made in-house. Today, all but four shows aired by Fox are also made by Fox.

The next wrinkle is that the merger doesn't include the Fox network. This means once the merger is finished, Fox literally won't have an in-house production studio anymore. Rupert Murdoch has said, repeatedly, that the new Fox network would focus on news, sports and live events, which are cheap to produce. Financially, it doesn't make sense for Fox to buy a full slate of scripted shows anymore.

What does this mean for the Simpsons, Family Guy, and Bob's Burgers? Will they move to another network, or streaming? Will this be the thing that finally ends the Simpsons? (For the love of God, try to at least put some creativity into your snarky retort to that one.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Long story short, the modern-day economics of TV are tight. Ad sales barely cover the cost of shows anymore -- they only truly become profitable when they wind up on other platforms like Netflix or Adult Swim. While TV channels in the past have bought shows from all kinds of studios, even direct competitors, most shows are now essentially made in-house. Today, all but four shows aired by Fox are also made by Fox.

The next wrinkle is that the merger doesn't include the Fox network. This means once the merger is finished, Fox literally won't have an in-house production studio anymore. Rupert Murdoch has said, repeatedly, that the new Fox network would focus on news, sports and live events, which are cheap to produce. Financially, it doesn't make sense for Fox to buy a full slate of scripted shows anymore.

What does this mean for the Simpsons, Family Guy, and Bob's Burgers? Will they move to another network, or streaming? Will this be the thing that finally ends the Simpsons? (For the love of God, try to at least put some creativity into your snarky retort to that one.)

The short answer is that Disney will look at whatever franchises are profitable enough to merit funding a studio and continue them, and end the rest. I don't see Simpsons ending if Disney has anything to say about it.

Enc wrote: »

The short answer is that Disney will look at whatever franchises are profitable enough to merit funding a studio and continue them, and end the rest. I don't see Simpsons ending if Disney has anything to say about it.

Honestly, I could see things going either way on The Simpsons. It's lasted so long because it makes so much money outside of TV, but even then it's run into cost squeezes. The last-minute firing of Alf Clausen could be a big sign that it really doesn't make too much sense for things to continue. Folks want raises, after all.

...or maybe that's just Fox's position. Maybe Disney sees greater value in whoring out properties into infinity, and that the Simpsons could be a pillar for decades to come.

Personally, while I think the show's still good, I'd like to see it wrap up before any of the major cast dies. 30 seasons would be a great place to stop. Maybe a second movie.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They better not cancel The Orville.

Enc wrote: »

Honestly, I could see things going either way on The Simpsons. It's lasted so long because it makes so much money outside of TV, but even then it's run into cost squeezes. The last-minute firing of Alf Clausen could be a big sign that it really doesn't make too much sense for things to continue. Folks want raises, after all.

...or maybe that's just Fox's position. Maybe Disney sees greater value in whoring out properties into infinity, and that the Simpsons could be a pillar for decades to come.

Personally, while I think the show's still good, I'd like to see it wrap up before any of the major cast dies. 30 seasons would be a great place to stop. Maybe a second movie.

Simpsons as a brand was unrivaled in the sheer scope and worth across the world until (maybe) the Marvel Expanded Universe or Star Wars revival. Hundreds of millions in merchandise alone is sold using the brand each year. There is no way you buy Fox Entertainment without wanting to keep that goose laying eggs.

There probably is a nonzero chance of Disney keeping The Simpsons going without Groening or the original cast.

Heh, that would REALLY cause the Simpsons Sucks Now crowd's heads to explode.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    There probably is a nonzero chance of Disney keeping The Simpsons going without Groening or the original cast.

Heh, that would REALLY cause the Simpsons Sucks Now crowd's heads to explode.

Honestly, if they just straight up make a fresh break, it might be the best way to keep it going if they decide to. Some people will always grumble, but I think having a clear separation might actually make it easier for some people to accept.
    Though if they just keep it going as is and phase new actors in over time, I'm not sure how that would go over.

Not sure why anyone would think this would impact Groening or the original cast more than being owned by Fox. They hated Fox, but kept producing anyway. If anything, Disney will give them more leash to be wilder.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    This is going to blur the lines between Disneyworld and Universal Studios Park even more.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Soon it will all be a park anyway. We'll live and work there.

Who knew of all the apocalypse predictions, American Dad would get it right

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    New show from the Bob's Burgers folks: Central Park.
    Bouchard will write with fellow Burgers scribe Nora Smith as well as Josh Gad, who will also be voicing a character in the series. With Gad on board, it should not surprise you to learn that Central Park will be a musical show, and it focuses on a family of caretakers who live and work in New York City’s Central Park. The family maintains the grounds and also must protect it — and the world — from perils unknown. In addition to Gad, the voice cast includes Leslie Odom Jr., Tituss Burgess, Kristen Bell, Stanley Tucci, Daveed Diggs, and Kathryn Hahn.

It's been greenlit for two seasons at, uh, Apple.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    That’s a hell of a cast. Worth at least a look.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ok that title is super misleading.

Also Josh Gad? Bleh.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    For a second I thought Bob’s Burgers was moving to Apple.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I dunno, so far Apple's been really weird with their shows, going to have to wait and see.

Reading that again it sounds like a fantasy series and not Bob's burgers in a park which would have been better.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sounds like they ripped part of the premise from Regular Show.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

Also Josh Gad? Bleh.

Leslie Odom Jr, Daveed Diggs, Kristen Bell, and Stanley Tucci, though.

Fencingsax on
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Also Josh Gad? Bleh.

Leslie Odom Jr, Daveed Diggs, Kristen Bell, and Stanley Tucci, though.

Gad is a very high negative though. Writing and acting to boot

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Apple makes tv shows?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Apple makes tv shows?

Apparently!

edited March 2018
    If anyone cares, here's what Stewie's "big secret" was in the hour-long Family Guy thing.
    Nothing really interesting. His real voice is that of a normal kid. Also, he lets his therapist die so the secret doesn't get out. Comedy!

cloudeagle on
    edited March 2018
    If anyone cares, here's what Stewie's "big secret" was in the hour-long Family Guy thing.
    Nothing really interesting. His real voice is that of a normal kid. Also, he lets his therapist die so the secret doesn't get out. Comedy!

That was weird. Like they clearly had a goal in mind but they never mention Brian who theyve said again and again is all Stewie has.

Also I guess Stewie isn't 1 anymore ?

King Riptor on
    That swung a lot harder than I was expecting

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    That was the most heartfelt Trump satire I've seen.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Anyone else seen the new Family Guy? It's this seasons "Road To.." episode, which is about Stewie and Brian as Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Personally, I really enjoyed it, my favorite bit was that messed up joke about Watsons wedding night.

Sadgasm wrote: »
    Anyone else seen the new Family Guy? It's this seasons "Road To.." episode, which is about Stewie and Brian as Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Personally, I really enjoyed it, my favorite bit was that messed up joke about Watsons wedding night.

It was ok. Seemes a little weird that they're doing this and now a Warcraft show back to back.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

It was ok. Seemes a little weird that they're doing this and now a Warcraft show back to back.

Warcraft? The next episode is going to be about Peter joining the Coast Guard

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for the topical All Your Base episode.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    At least I have chicken.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Next Sunday is April 1st.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Man, South Park's WoW episode was twelve years ago.

At least it had the benefit of airing during WoW's heyday.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Ya, if two things well well past their prime are brought together years later, aren't they supposed to at least fight crime ?

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I've been deciding if I wanted to get the new Blu release of Batman: The Animated Series since I have them on DVD already...but then I saw this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZJ-HJsWHk

So I pre-ordered it. It looks so much cleaner.

Also it comes with Mask of the Phantasm and SubZero both of which I've never owned. Looking forward to watching through them again.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Even if you think the Simpsons has been on the air for way too long, you've gotta admit it's a little neat that this year's Treehouse of Horror episode (airing this Sunday) is the series' 666th episode.

This year's doing Jurassic Park, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Three Faces of Eve, and an eating contest between Homer and C'thulu.

Also, this happened:

https://youtu.be/se_I7HJisyE

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Now if they were really smart, the following Bob's Burgers would have been the same exact intro but from the other side.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    That Jurassic Park spoof better be called Billy and the Cloneasaurus...