As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2018 in Social Entropy++
Own a house? Great! Rent somewhere? Great! Moving? You poor sod.

As with the old thread share experiences of times spent with your biggest monthly expenditure.

I'm re-making the thread because my house is currently being encased in scaffolding in preparation for the roof coming off.

oaz4vHBl.jpg

They've also ripped both the pitched and flat roofs off the "studio" out back and are just waiting on a pallet of tiles arriving to put that all back.

UkKCUfQl.jpg

I'm starting to freak out a bit because they're taking our roof off. You need a roof on a house, right? What happens in the mean time? Tarps?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
SporkAndrew on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You embrace the weather without your roof.

Become one with the rain and snow.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We'll be in Washington in just over 2 weeks now.

We have to pack the rest of our stuff this weekend though.

Ugh. UGH.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Renewed my apartment lease because I hate moving, the rent increase was minimal, and I'm in a good spot for public transportation (no car). Additionally, the dog next door seems to have figured out how to shut the fuck up.

Cautious Yay.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Every once in a while the thought just strikes out of the blue, I've been mortgage free since May of last year and it still feels pretty good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    Every once in a while the thought just strikes out of the blue, I've been mortgage free since May of last year and it still feels pretty good.

Meanwhile I had to sign something for my current mortgage that amounted to "yes, I know I'll be paying for this well past retirement age"

Hopefully next year when we can remortgage we'll be able to get that term down a bit.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I've only got 12 years to go. 15-year terms are nice if you can swing the payments.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'm moving in 13 days to an absolutely gorgeous second-story apartment with modern appliances, huge natural light pouring in through south and west windows, one block from the Edmonton River Valley, and although I have a roomie I'll be taking the master bedroom with a walk-in closet and attached full bath so I don't even have to share a bathroom.

Somehow, this is cheaper than my current basement bachelor suite with ancient broken appliances and holes in the linoleum that the landlord refused to fix

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Given my modest needs and leftover equity from the last house, it looks like I might actually be able to put 20% down on a house for the first time in my life. That seems to be the magic number where a good deal of mortgage-related bullshit evaporates, so I'm rather looking forward to the experience.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I'm moving in 13 days to an absolutely gorgeous second-story apartment with modern appliances, huge natural light pouring in through south and west windows, one block from the Edmonton River Valley, and although I have a roomie I'll be taking the master bedroom with a walk-in closet and attached full bath so I don't even have to share a bathroom.

Somehow, this is cheaper than my current basement bachelor suite with ancient broken appliances and holes in the linoleum that the landlord refused to fix

I hope the place has air conditioning.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hello new house thread, we had a clogged toilet that nothing cleared up so we called a plumber in. The results were....interesting.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CbwDc

• Options
    That was a risky click

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Risky click of the day, right there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Not what I was expecting.

• Options
    Hello new house thread, we had a clogged toilet that nothing cleared up so we called a plumber in. The results were....interesting.

So uh... you gotta replace your whole sewage stack now eh?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Haha! I didnt think about the risky click factor, my bad. Probably should've provided some more context!
    bowen wrote: »

Not yet... The part that was pulled out was everything in the pipes so it's cleared for now. But it'll come back and it means there's probably a larger issue under the subfloor. Unfortunately I have a concrete slab so it's not going to be cheap or easy to fully resolve, and no way of knowing how bad it is.

• Options
    There wasn't a break in the pipe for the roots to get in? Usually it's some old clay pipes from the early 1900s and a nearby tree has crushed it and made some sort of pseudo pipe with its roots.

• Options
    That was my fear too but it's coming in from where the flange sits on the subfloor. Nothing in the rest of the house has issues so we're pretty sure it's just that one area for now.

Also late 1960's construction so relatively recent, plus with a concrete slab it's less likely in general... but oh man yeah if it had been a hole in the pipes I'd be screwed.

• Options
    related to the roots in the toilet, it's not an uncommon thing

https://youtu.be/Fv7pry8P4AI

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That was my fear too but it's coming in from where the flange sits on the subfloor. Nothing in the rest of the house has issues so we're pretty sure it's just that one area for now.

Also late 1960's construction so relatively recent, plus with a concrete slab it's less likely in general... but oh man yeah if it had been a hole in the pipes I'd be screwed.

thank god for that then

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Haha! I didnt think about the risky click factor, my bad. Probably should've provided some more context!
    bowen wrote: »

Not yet... The part that was pulled out was everything in the pipes so it's cleared for now. But it'll come back and it means there's probably a larger issue under the subfloor. Unfortunately I have a concrete slab so it's not going to be cheap or easy to fully resolve, and no way of knowing how bad it is.

Do your plumbers have a camera to mount on the auger they can cram down there to see how bad the pipe is?
    My last place had a similar issue where a tree had roots going into the pipe blocking off all the water trying to exit. Came home to a flooded basement on too many occasions (in this case that's any number larger than 0). They were able to run a camera down there after snaking it out and determine exactly how far out the break in the line was.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, when we moved into this place there were old 1930's terracotta tile pipes that had a 60-year-old Ngaio tree growing on top of them. Snaked the main drain every 4-6 months for a year before we cut down the tree and hired a couple apprentices with a digger to replace the main sewer line.

In other news, I got to cook on my new cooktop last night. It finally arrived on the weekend and my neighbour installed it on Monday. After 10 days of mostly eating out and bought work lunches, it's so good to have something home-cooked again.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    So Mori's parents' new house has a HOA. It was pretty much unavoidable; just about all the properties for sale with their requirements had an HOA.

The HOA doesn't permit street parking. So we have to hope that the driveway accommodates 3 cars. It'll also suck as it means no visitors, essentially.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Lawn's not the street. Loophole.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k55FYtqtXXU

Thread title made me think of this video. So I googled "Our House" and it was the first result, which I love.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Yeah if the bylaws don't say they can't be parked on the lawn that's certainly an option.

Or just make the driveway larger by paving part of the lawn.

But they probably have a set driveway width too.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    And remodeling approval process

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I would 100% be okay with parking a car on my lawn to stick it to a snobby HOA

But I don't want my parents to get into trouble for it, hah

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    all the more reason to GTFO

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

I would 100% be okay with parking a car on my lawn to stick it to a snobby HOA

But I don't want my parents to get into trouble for it, hah

Life hack: have your parents become board members of the HOA so they get to create rules that suit themselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So anyone got any advice for negotiating our offer on a house?

The one were looking at has an asking price of over £250,000.

This will be our first house purchase and we want to get it as close to £250,000 as possible.

The house has already been reduced in price and three of the rooms will need new carpets.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »

This will be our first house purchase and we want to get it as close to £250,000 as possible.

The house has already been reduced in price and three of the rooms will need new carpets.

How much do you think the house is worth?

• Options

Never get so invested in a place that you aren't willing to walk away, even at the last minute, if someone starts jerking you around or if they aren't willing to come down in price.

I'm guessing you're dealing with a realtor, so they should be able to help guide you in negotiating. If you told them that your limit is $250K and they're showing you homes that are way above that or can't get close to that number then they're not doing a very good job for you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Realtors don't exist in the UK, the process is generally quite different, so hopefully one of our home-owning Brits can help!

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Yeah we have booked a viewing through an estate agent and if we want to make an offer we go through the estate agent.

I'm not in a rush to buy, just that this house seems the most promising so far. Compared to similar houses in the area it's a good price.

If me and my wife like it we'll do a second viewing with my father in law whose a builder/painter/decorator and if he doesn't find anything worrying we might make an offer.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Just offer what you want to pay for it (minus a couple of grand for wiggle room). The asking price being a bare minimum is not really a way to think. It's just a guide price for potential buyers.

If it's been reduced, the vendors are keen to sell and maybe a sign you're dealing with an estate agent who likes to inflate prices as well. An estate agent has to pass that offer on, regardless of its perceived chance of success.

If the vendor doesn't like the price, they won't say no and tell you to get lost. Its just where the negotiations start. Putting in that wiggle room allows you to appear to be conciliatory whilst still paying the price you want.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I am buying a house! I signed the paperwork yesterday. I’m sure the next few weeks will be easy and carefree and not a jumble of phone calls and lawyers and reviewing a nitpicky home inspection and interest rates and packing and remembering that I need insurance and internet at my new house.

Right?

• Options

There is nothing wrong with putting in "cheeky" offers. It's why the previous two houses we've sold we've put the asking price at 10-20k over what we actually wanted to give people the satisfaction of talking us down. We sold our last house for exactly the amount we wanted after making a show of coming down in price.

As others have said, if the house has been reduced twice already then the sellers are getting desperate -- you can use that to your advantage. You can usually check Rightmove to see how long a property has been on the market, although some sneaky estate agents will take the property off the market a few times and then bring it back on at a different price to avoid the "reduced" banner displaying on the listing and push it back up to the top of the "recently for sale" list. But then there's a Rightmove "premium" service you can pay for which allows you to see previous listings for properties. We used that to see what our house used to look like when it was painted pink in the 90s.

As a real-life example - our house was on the market for £300k but we paid £264k and got the sellers to cover the stamp duty. In our case it had been on the market for a year and a half, was empty because it was the result of a divorce and both parties moving into their respective partner's houses and was just costing the sellers money as they still had a mortgage on it. I also paid for a proper "homebuyer's survey" by an accredited company. It was about £800 for the top-tier survey but they went into much greater detail than the standard survey and if it brought up anything major then £800 up front was a lot better than £000s down the line to fix something unexpected.

As it turned out the survey threw up a number of issues like mouldy carpets in every room, rising damp in every room downstairs, the roof being a giant sieve and only 15% of the house being double-glazed. I could see all of these issues myself on viewings, but having it written down by a professional helps your case. They included an estimated cost to rectify all the issues which I gathered together, took to the estate agent and said "the seller can either fix these or take it off the cost." The estate agent verified the company that did the survey and then presented the offer to the seller.

Of course, some of the issues pulled up by the survey were non-events and could be ignored, like the condition of the paths in the garden, or the condition of the outhouse roofs, or the fact that the decoration was outdated. There was also one that was factually incorrect based on an assumption (he thought that all the upstairs walls were brick and would need replacing with studs)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    electric has been restored to the frankenbathroom. shower base is installed. it's taking forever.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good motion detection flood lights? The one currently attached to our house is a fickle bastard. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I can be in front of the thing waving my arms and it won't work. Turn it off and back on and it'll turn on immediately. I've looked at reviews and it seems like nearly all of them are mostly junk. Also, this light is on the West side of the house and will be seeing a lot of weather. I'm tempted to replace it with a light that just turns on at dusk and off at dawn. That sounds like a lot of energy waste I don't want, but I'm also tired of my dog getting sprayed by skunks.

• Options
    Motion detectors are usually set off by mass too, so there's a good chance it won't set off by a dog or small animal.

Maybe look into an outdoor LED light? They are low energy (like 8-15 watts) and it'd cost you maybe $20 to run it all year dusk-dawn. But if you like motion detection still, here's one of the better rated ones:

https://www.amazon.com/1000Lumen-Solar-Motion-LED-Flood/dp/B01D11N02O/

This discussion has been closed.