As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Holy shit guys. Sidereal Confluence was awesome

Nice! How many players did you do? I wish I could convince the guy who has it to bring it to more game nights, but I just don't think he likes it as much as the rest of us.

I have the opposite problem, where no one I played it with the one time I got it to the table enjoyed it except for me, so now it languishes forever on the shelf. I'm considering trading it away while it's still hot just because I'm pretty sure I'll never ever get it played again.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Had a good game day last night!

Managed to get a good second-hand copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies (which, upon checking Amazon prices, would seem to me that I got on a good bargain), it was great. It went real Inception-like in the last few turns (somone follows me, and she has a planet that says "I do something, and everyone else can follow for free"), and we've somehow gone to two hours on this game alone (due to said Inception). We kind of don't mind the time, but I find it baffling that people can finish this under an hour.

Tiny Epic Galaxies takes 20-30 minutes per player. With 2 or 3 it can move pretty fast, but with more players it takes a long time. This is partly due to the time needed to go around the whole table checking for culture follows after every action, and also more players result in more wasted actions as more of your colonization attempts are thwarted by other players.

The least-effective way to play TEG is also the fastest: have no culture to spend on other people's turns. I don't think I've ever actually noticed the time on a game of TEG, though. It's probably the best of the series (I have not played Defenders or Quest). The expansion, Beyond the Black, also adds some neat stuff and other ways to score points — something the base game sorely needed.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Tiny Epic Quest is a neat game, but I think not a particularly good game.

I’m having a cull at the moment and it has been picked for moving on.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Next was Libertalia, which was pretty damn cutthroat. Governor's Daughter entered the game in the second week, and people were watching her appearance like a hawk. Gunner was also there, which was great for killing other people. This is the gift we gave to our buddy, who really loved the game.
    Libertalia is my go-to "Exactly 6 players?" game. I don't know why everyone finds it to be so much fun, but I love that everyone is down for some Pirate booty when there are exactly 6 of us.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Played 5 player Survive: Space Attack last night with a friend and his oldest kids. It was a lot of chaotic fun and I think most of them enjoyed the competitive part of it. Definitely a lot of hilarious, "Don't eat my guys!" moments.

Oh, and he suggested we should get his wife, my wife, and a friend of ours couple together to play 6 player. That would be amazing and terrible at the same time.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Hey, Azul has been hard to find recently, but it is still available at Cardhaus right now for preorder (which gives it a 5% discount), and will probably ship this week (the estimated shipping date was yesterday the 11th but is still on preorder).

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Anyone here own/play TMNT Showdown by IDWgames? I have questions about line of sight but there's seemingly no resources online that I can find.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The Hogwarts Battle expansion adds ways to winnow your deck, which the base game desperately needed. Unfortunately it also adds cards you need to get rid of too. Also adds Luna Lovegood as a character, she's pretty good. The new villains are all monsters and creatures which are a bit different.

Played Fallout this weekend for the first time. It seems pretty good. Actually feels a lot like the video games. You're scavenging, trading in town, recruiting companions, doing Jet, etc. The neatest element are the quests. Each scenario has one to get you started, and the starter encounter decks also have a few questions hooks. Each quest has you pull new cards out of the library as you complete it, so you have branching paths and quest chains. One player really worked on the Institute vs Railroad path, another worked on getting into Vault 84.

Also played Heavy Hitters by Weta workshop. It's a mech combat deck building game with some of the nicest minis I've ever seen. The big heavy main mechs have awesome detail. A bit hard to wrap your head around at first but promising.

There's a new dinosaur island Kickstarter up for an expansion, a 2p version, and a reprint of the fancy Kickstarter version of the base game. Seems too soon to me? But hey, it's there if anyone wants to spend some money.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    There's a new dinosaur island Kickstarter up for an expansion, a 2p version, and a reprint of the fancy Kickstarter version of the base game. Seems too soon to me? But hey, it's there if anyone wants to spend some money.

Not really too soon, the expansion is the stretch goals they didn't reach in the first project, the other part is for the fancy extras you can't get in retail and the last KS delivered everything and it's getting really good reviews and is hard to find. Perfect time for project 2.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Unless I missed something in the one play of it I've had none of that seems necessary.

It's not a bad game or anything but it's pretty much feature complete, as it were, in its present state.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Also played Heavy Hitters by Weta workshop. It's a mech combat deck building game with some of the nicest minis I've ever seen. The big heavy main mechs have awesome detail. A bit hard to wrap your head around at first but promising.
    Wait, Weta Workshop? Like, the Weta Workshop? They make board games?

I'm a little disappointed it's not a game about making prop chainmail for six years straight or whatever.

Delduwath wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    Wait, Weta Workshop? Like, the Weta Workshop? They make board games?

I'm a little disappointed it's not a game about making prop chainmail for six years straight or whatever.

According to the guy that brought it, they made a boardgame. Then went back to props. Seriously the minis (they're not so mini) are awesome.

img_1383.jpg

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've seen it on display around the local game scene here, and I think they had it playable down at the Workshop in Mirimar for a while. I think the Kickstarter deliveries are about, but the retail version won't drop until later this year.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    My LGS made a roadtrip down to Weta to pick up a couple of copies. They've since sold out, but they still have the instore copy.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Unless I missed something in the one play of it I've had none of that seems necessary.

It's not a bad game or anything but it's pretty much feature complete, as it were, in its present state.

Anyone here got any solid impressions of Dinosaur Island?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Remind me, please, what is the new-ish AD&D boardgame that people like so much ?

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Tomb of Annihilation?

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Dragonfire?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Any big Dominion fans out here have personal experience with Nocturne?

Wondering where on the list of Dominion expansions I need to place it, if it needs to jump the queue ahead of some others.

• nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »

Wondering where on the list of Dominion expansions I need to place it, if it needs to jump the queue ahead of some others.

I don't have every Dominion expansion, so I don't know you ought to rank Nocturne, but I've played it a couple times with my wife.

The replacements for the starting cards make for a very nice change of pace and encourage some alternate strategies. They were one of the main reasons I got Nocturne after missing the last several expansions.

Many of the cards setup mini games of a sort that are great if you are playing casually. Trying to trigger a Magic Lamp can be a lot of fun just for the bragging rights even if you don't win.

The Night cards give you a little extra bang for your buck on your turn since they don't figure into the action economy, and you can play as many as you want, usually on the turn you buy them.

The boons and hexes add more variance which can be a pro or con, depending on your point of view. If you like when Dominion runs on skill and you can out plan your opponent in building your engine more efficiently, then they will throw a wrench in your plans and likely annoy you. Or if you find your games becoming formulaic with everyone pursuing the same strategy and coming down to who gets the right draws, they will shake things up and add some more tension.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    nwrabe wrote: »

I don't have every Dominion expansion, so I don't know you ought to rank Nocturne, but I've played it a couple times with my wife.

The replacements for the starting cards make for a very nice change of pace and encourage some alternate strategies. They were one of the main reasons I got Nocturne after missing the last several expansions.

Many of the cards setup mini games of a sort that are great if you are playing casually. Trying to trigger a Magic Lamp can be a lot of fun just for the bragging rights even if you don't win.

The Night cards give you a little extra bang for your buck on your turn since they don't figure into the action economy, and you can play as many as you want, usually on the turn you buy them.

The boons and hexes add more variance which can be a pro or con, depending on your point of view. If you like when Dominion runs on skill and you can out plan your opponent in building your engine more efficiently, then they will throw a wrench in your plans and likely annoy you. Or if you find your games becoming formulaic with everyone pursuing the same strategy and coming down to who gets the right draws, they will shake things up and add some more tension.

Interesting. I've been resistant to a lot of the newer mechanics in the recent expansions (events, alternate starter cards, etc.) and this one had several things like it but I might work it into the rotation. I feel there's enough depth and skill within the first half-dozen or so expansions that I was more than content to just play the game in what felt like the 'normal' way forever before they added a bunch of stuff that very seriously altered win conditions and gameplay. But I should probably be more open to the variety rather than just trying to build and tune my perfect little machine with standard Dominion.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    New megagame coming up here in Seattle. Tickets sold out in less than 24 hours!

I'll be helping run this one :D

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular

Interesting. I've been resistant to a lot of the newer mechanics in the recent expansions (events, alternate starter cards, etc.) and this one had several things like it but I might work it into the rotation. I feel there's enough depth and skill within the first half-dozen or so expansions that I was more than content to just play the game in what felt like the 'normal' way forever before they added a bunch of stuff that very seriously altered win conditions and gameplay. But I should probably be more open to the variety rather than just trying to build and tune my perfect little machine with standard Dominion.

Dark Ages was the expansion that revitalized Dominion for me (as if it were Dominion 2.0 or something), so I'm curious if either of you have it to compare. I really liked how it felt very different from basic Dominion (and the early expansions), without making it much more complex.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »

Dark Ages was the expansion that revitalized Dominion for me (as if it were Dominion 2.0 or something), so I'm curious if either of you have it to compare. I really liked how it felt very different from basic Dominion (and the early expansions), without making it much more complex.

We have Dark Ages, but only got to play it once a couple years ago. I liked a lot of the ideas in it, but my wife wasn't as big of a fan. She has a hard time trashing cards under normal circumstances (to the point where she will buy replacement coppers to replace ones that have gotten trashed) so the whole trashing theme of Dark Ages wasn't really for her.

We probably ought to give it another few plays or mix it with Nocturne. But, it's a bit impractical to get out a couple of expansion boxes on top of the base box, so we usually end up only playing one at a time.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Casual reminder that Spyfall is still pretty delightful.

I present to you an entire round:
    P1: "So, P2, why did you come here?"
    P2: "Not for the company."

P2: "P3, how long have you been coming here?"
    P3: "... Been coming here, eh? Been coming here?"
    P2: "Is that your answer ...?"
    P3: "No, I'm just considering your phrasing ..."
    *P2 stops timer*
    P2: "Are we in the crusader army?"
    P1: "We are at the polar station."
    P2: "%*&@"

<3

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

We have Dark Ages, but only got to play it once a couple years ago. I liked a lot of the ideas in it, but my wife wasn't as big of a fan. She has a hard time trashing cards under normal circumstances (to the point where she will buy replacement coppers to replace ones that have gotten trashed) so the whole trashing theme of Dark Ages wasn't really for her.

We probably ought to give it another few plays or mix it with Nocturne. But, it's a bit impractical to get out a couple of expansion boxes on top of the base box, so we usually end up only playing one at a time.

I feel sad now.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than trashing a Copper.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Trashing a 1 VP card tho.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

I feel sad now.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than trashing a Copper.

I definitely like trashing a curse better than trashing a copper, makes me feel like "ha take that!"

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Trashing a 1 VP card tho.

A+++, would trash again.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I just discovered Dice Thrones a little after a week since season two's campaign ended. I want to throw money at the screen, but it won't let me!

I've been looking for quick (30 minutes to an hour long) games that can be easily taught and played. The big, evening-destroying games are my jam, but my family may not appreciate them quite so much. And so I'm currently waiting for Quantum, Ethnos, and Santorini to arrive in the mail. I'm open to more suggestions!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Dashui wrote: »
    I just discovered Dice Thrones a little after a week since season two's campaign ended. I want to throw money at the screen, but it won't let me!

I've been looking for quick (30 minutes to an hour long) games that can be easily taught and played. The big, evening-destroying games are my jam, but my family may not appreciate them quite so much. And so I'm currently waiting for Quantum, Ethnos, and Santorini to arrive in the mail. I'm open to more suggestions!

Check out old Knizia games, they own this niche of rules light decision heavy games that play in an hour. Ra, Medici, Blue Moon, Samurai, Taj Mahal, Through The Desert, Lost Cities, Battle Line, Lord of the Rings the Confrontation, Modern Art etc etc

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Colt express?
    Little 3d train on the table that you must rob while dodging bullets from opponents that want to punch you across carriages. Plays 2-6.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

How many players?

edited March 2018
    Tokaido is hard to go wrong with. Easy enough, doesn't overstay its welcome, and I tend to describe it as "just beautiful" when it's on the table.
    Celestia / Cloud 9 if you want something a little silly and capable of making good moments.
    I say this a lot, but ... Codenames is popular for a reason.
    Similarly, Carcassonne remains one of the best entry points to the hobby.
    Dixit is typically easier to pick up on than Mysterium, but you know your family better than I do to decide which is right for them.
    Meeple Circus (though it might be out of stock at the moment? I'm not 100%) is a very good time. You could look into other dexterity games as well, but I like that this one has some clever gimmicks and supports up to 5 players.

... I can probably keep going. <_<

ArcticLancer on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Four players:
    - Unearth is dice rolling with some nice art.
    - Lanterns is relaxing tile-laying + set collection. Games are often close in the end-scoring for us.
    up to five players:
    - Sushi Go is card drafting cute japanese food. Simple and quick.
    up to six players or more:
    - Organ Attack plays up to six if you got the pack with the Ready Player Six bonus stuff (otherwise just five). It doesn't have much meat to it, being a last man standing free-for-all type of game, but it generates some fun banter.
    - Samurai Spirit is coop black jack that plays up to seven with some cool stuff thrown in, but the theme isn't as well-baked-into as other games. It's pretty fast.
    - Seven Wonders, which can be described as Sushi Go's older brother, plays up to seven, fairly front-heavy when it comes to learning the rules, but once people grok it it will be a lot quicker.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Haven't played Meeple Circus (although I'd like to!) but the reviewer conclusion by reviewers who had played both was that junk art, which I do own and love, is superior. For a family, you can play with very light rules and it's hardly even competitive. The game rules themselves literally just say to play until you get tired of it!

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Haven't played Meeple Circus (although I'd like to!) but the reviewer conclusion by reviewers who had played both was that junk art, which I do own and love, is superior. For a family, you can play with very light rules and it's hardly even competitive. The game rules themselves literally just say to play until you get tired of it!

That's not unfair. I've played both myself and think they both have their merits. Junk Art is less game and more dexterity, where Meeple Circus has a bit more game to it (though with more silliness attached, somehow). I definitely enjoy both.

This discussion has been closed.