As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stephen Hawking Dead at 76

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
edited March 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Grunt's Ghosts on

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    :(

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    And yes, I know I said Steven Hawkins. Stupid phone and stupid autocorrect...

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The world just got a bit darker. A truly brilliant (and remarkably funny) man.

RIP.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    To be fair 76 is about 45 years longer than anyone thought he would make it.

I think he had a damn good run and left an incredible mark on the world.

I wonder how many doctors who gave him death timelines he outlived?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I always loved Hawking in popular culture.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The world at large just lost about 2,000 IQ points. The man was a genius, an inspiration, someone to be admired. He had a debilitating disease, that most people think are a drain on the world. Overcame all of this, and became one of the greatest mind we have ever known. I loved reading about his theories, and hearing him "talk". This is a great loss to us as a whole species.

I hope something comes after life just so he can talk with the other great minds the world has known, and to have all the answers to all of his questions answered.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    The world at large just lost about 2,000 IQ points. The man was a genius, an inspiration, someone to be admired. He had a debilitating disease, that most people think are a drain on the world. Overcame all of this, and became one of the greatest mind we have ever known. I loved reading about his theories, and hearing him "talk". This is a great loss to us as a whole species.

I hope something comes after life just so he can talk with the other great minds the world has known, and to have all the answers to all of his questions answered.
    We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful.

I don't think there is anything after either, but one can hope he was wrong in this case and is somewhere better.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Such an amazing inspiration. I will never hear a computer voice without thinking of him, and I think that is kind of cool. Plus he had a great sense of humor.

"I call it a Hawking Hole."

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-p8s_HCCo

A brief history of rhyme. Rest in peace, Dr. Hawking.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Posting this here instead of the science thread.

l like to think how lucky he was to get so much life after the ALS diagnosis and how much crazy interesting stuff I don't really understand he got to put to paper.

I can't say I knew much about him as a person, but Hawking and Sagan were the best introductions to science for the sake of real enjoyment of it, instead of just to pass a class.

He'll be missed. Suck it 2018.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    A Brief History of Time is an excellent book. Highly recommended, especially if you've not read it before.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I don't generally mourn famous people any more than normal folks, but I honor the Hawk.

https://youtu.be/mf5QJqVVf74

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    In one word: Resolve

The resolve to look a death sentence in the face and spit on it, churning out science the likes of which humanity will be privileged if ever to see again.

Part of me hopes that NASA, Elon, someone can put his ashes/body in space, and point him at the nearest Black Hole. Use him as the metaphorical test for a question he spent a lifetime on: Can information ever escape a black hole?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Priest wrote: »
    In one word: Resolve

The resolve to look a death sentence in the face and spit on it, churning out science the likes of which humanity will be privileged if ever to see again.

Part of me hopes that NASA, Elon, someone can put his ashes/body in space, and point him at the nearest Black Hole. Use him as the metaphorical test for a question he spent a lifetime on: Can information ever escape a black hole?

Didn't we prove the answer to that was Yes, due to Hawking Radiation?

Edit: Maybe "prove" is too strong for science...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The world is a brighter place for his being here, and will get brighter still because of his work.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Good night Stephen. Thank you for everything.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Man, Stephen was an inspiration to both scientists and disabled people.

His very existence was a fuck you to detractors of both groups.

Losing him is pretty harsh.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Damn. I need to go back and reread A Brief History of Time. The world is a much duller place without him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEa7CfPaCRw

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    damn it

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Until today I hadn't heard the story of the time Hawking threw a party for time travellers, which sounds suspiciously like an excuse to just drink a load of champagne by himself:

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It's really sad to see the passing of one of our last intellectual heros, there was something about Hawking that inspired genuine admiration. He wasn't some guy famous for being able to hit a ball or look good in a suit like everyone else. He was a man that genuinely contributed to the advancement of the species and overcome real adversity to do it. I'm sure his legend will continue to inspire. RIP Dr Hawking.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just got linked to his interview with John Oliver, and it's brilliant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPV3D7f3bHY
    5:35 is particularly brutal.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    there's not much i can say that won't have already been said by others, but A Brief History of Time is one of those books that probably changed the course of my life and deeply affected how I view the world around me at a young age

he certainly wasn't perfect, who of us is?

but he was a fuckin champ

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    NyogthaNyogtha Registered User regular
    :(:(:(

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    To be fair 76 is about 45 years longer than anyone thought he would make it.

I think he had a damn good run and left an incredible mark on the world.

I wonder how many doctors who gave him death timelines he outlived?

I agree, hard to be sad about his death, when he had like 50 years more time than anyone thought he'd have given the disease.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That John Oliver bit... :biggrin:

This sucks, but I'd like to think he gave it a good run, and I think it's incredible he lasted as long as he did.

i wonder if Britain will allow a service or burial in Westminster

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I had the hardest time absorbing this. Just straight up denial. The worst I’ve had since David Bowie passed away.

Then I saw that today is Pi Day.

Well of course you died today didn’t you, Stephen, you magnificent bastard.

• Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    Damn. I need to go back and reread A Brief History of Time. The world is a much duller place without him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEa7CfPaCRw

True story: Stephen was a sci-fi geek and loved Star Trek. He jumped at the chance of guest appearing on the show and asked for a tour of the set while he was there.

When they got to engineering he stopped his chair in front of the warp core, looked up at it for a moment or two and said “I’m working on that.”

He was also, at his request, lifted into the Captain’s chair.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    It's happens to be Einsteins birthday as well...

Anywhay not many people knew he had a singing career as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r838pJCS2o0

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Tweet from a BBC reporter with a story doing the rounds on “Newsnight”

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Tweet from a BBC reporter with a story doing the rounds on “Newsnight”

Holy shit that is amazing.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    These stories make me realise that his characterisation in Atomic Robo wasn't far off the mark.
    RIP you magnificent science troller.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    bwanie wrote: »
    It's happens to be Einsteins birthday as well...

As a reminder, he was born on the 300th anniversary of Galieo's death. Good days to on both ends.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm not crying YOU ARE CRYING

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I'm not crying YOU ARE CRYING

NPR's All Things Considered had on a gentleman from Harvard's center for fundamental physics, or something like that.

You could hear the man holding back tears... And trying his best not to let the truly raunchy stories get out. But a few slipped. Holy shit, the thought of Hawking, surrounded by his nurses, heading into a strip club just sounds awesome.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    It was a gift to be alive at the same time as him. He left a mark on the universe.