As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    After taking a week off while our Scoundrel was sick, we resumed our delve into the Black Barrow with Scenario 2, whereupon we faced down the fearsome Bandit Leader.
    He immediately opened the first door, then summoned a skeleton. Then he sat there and did nothing much for a while, just a potshot or two before failing to summon another skeleton due to no available space. Meanwhile the Scoundrel poisoned him almost immediately — one of the status effects he is not immune to, mercifully. By the time he jumped to the second door, we had whittled away 35 of his 40hp. He died shortly after, leaving two rooms of zombies safely locked away but revealing his precious treasure chest for my Mindthief to loot.

After completing our mission, we returned to Gloomhaven where we took on a quick side job and gained enough XP for my Mindthief to level up! Which is good, because I've been having horrible luck with my combat goals so have accumulated zero checkmarks in three tries. But now I am immune to the scenario shafting me, which I'm sure will be handy. Also, I can now Hostile Takeover some poor bastard. Did some shopping and am now kitted out with a Cloak of Invisibility and Boots of Striding to go with my Poison Dagger and Minor Stamina Potion, not to mention the Sanctuary's Blessing after I donated some ill-gotten gains.

Everyone else is mostly right on the verge of their next level, except the Brute who missed out on the successful return attempt on Scenario 1 before somehow catching up with us for Scenario 2. Although he is still in range if he literally plays his cards right.

Admittedly I'm only 2 sessions in, but one of the few things I don't really enjoy about the game is the way XP is handled. I really don't think the game should be rewarding me for using my cards in some particular way aside from how it impacts the field of combat. Luckily the people I'm playing with are all on the same page about pursuing scenario goals first, personal goals second, and XP a distant third, but I don't think I'd enjoy watching a party member pull ahead in XP specifically because they went after that rather than trying to contribute as much as possible to each fight.

The irritating thing about that in our group has been that some characters just get more XP than others.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's intentional; some classes just hoover up money, some do a bit of both. You're not really supposed to have a group that's perfectly equal all the time.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Characters are also going to retire at different times, which will rearrange your party's power structure. The game design doesn't expect everyone to be equal all the time, and I think it works fine.

I will say that in my (limited) experience so far, everyone has been staying pretty even on XP, but maybe that's just down to the particular characters we've picked.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Fry wrote: »
    Characters are also going to retire at different times, which will rearrange your party's power structure. The game design doesn't expect everyone to be equal all the time, and I think it works fine.

I will say that in my (limited) experience so far, everyone has been staying pretty even on XP, but maybe that's just down to the particular characters we've picked.

It was less of a problem with our first set of guys, when our Tinkerer was the one lagging behind due to reluctance to use her big attacks every match. She had the "Retire two other people," personal goal, so she got a new guy the same time as most of the rest of us; from there, she's mostly just churned out XP like crazy on the new character while I've struggled somewhat.

It doesn't make a lot of difference from a "can we play the game," perspective, I admit, it just causes some frustration on comparison.

We also added someone at 3 when the rest of us are at or near 7, and that's been an adjustment.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    You need to bump up the town's prosperity, bleeder !

I've noticed that tanky characters like the Brute and Two-Boxes gain XP very quickly, often for ordinary actions like "Stand there and raise your shield" while big-time damage dealers like the Scoundrel and Cthulhu lag far behind.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Fairchild wrote: »
    You need to bump up the town's prosperity, bleeder !

I've noticed that tanky characters like the Brute and Two-Boxes gain XP very quickly, often for ordinary actions like "Stand there and raise your shield" while big-time damage dealers like the Scoundrel and Cthulhu lag far behind.

Our immediate response was to do a mission that took us to 4, but generally we've had surprisingly few opportunities to get Prosperity checks. I'm actually a little baffled about that - many of the other people posting here who've been at it a while seem to be deeper on Prosperity than we are. All of the high-level characters are on retirement quests that are essentially elective but me; I have a location-based one that is only technically doable with what's left without replays or events giving us some of the optional missions.

That trend is mostly-true in my experience as well, though the standout XP machine we've seen is Music Notes.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I guess it depends heavily on the story path you take ? I have two groups, one that went after
    Jekserah
    and one that did not, and
    the Jekserah group
    is at prosperity 8 without trying very hard.

• Options
    I guess it depends heavily on the story path you take ? I have two groups, one that went after
    Jekserah
    the Jekserah group
    One of us may be tracking something wrong, then, because we defeated Jekserah a long time ago. Have you been applying the +Prosperity stuff as entire tiers? It accumulates as check-marks where each tier costs an increasing number to go up, so far as I understand.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Jekserah
    the Jekserah group
    One of us may be tracking something wrong, then, because we defeated Jekserah a long time ago. Have you been applying the +Prosperity stuff as entire tiers? It accumulates as check-marks where each tier costs an increasing number to go up, so far as I understand.

Well, dang, that's exactly what I was doing, adding Levels of Prosperity rather than check boxes. Thanks for the tip on that, turns out I should be Prosperity 4 rather than 8. Hmm.

• Options
    Jekserah
    the Jekserah group

Well, dang, that's exactly what I was doing, adding Levels of Prosperity rather than check boxes. Thanks for the tip on that, turns out I should be Prosperity 4 rather than 8. Hmm.

Yeah, I ignored the fact that it's more boxes every tier for a while, too.

I still feel like I might be lagging some there by comparison to others, though! Some of it is definitely related to City / Road event luck.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    You can definitely get more or less Prosperity based on the outcome of events. My sister and I are having fun playing as baddies on the Mindthief and Spellweaver and we keep having events that could have increased prosperity...but we take the loot instead ;)

• Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    You can definitely get more or less Prosperity based on the outcome of events. My sister and I are having fun playing as baddies on the Mindthief and Spellweaver and we keep having events that could have increased prosperity...but we take the loot instead ;)

Yeah, though in our case it's less about outcomes and more about drawing ones where that's a possibility to begin with, I think.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    So my group ran into our first scenario failure 3 sessions in.
    I'm playing my character as money grubbing so my party agreed with me to ransack the Inox encampment for Jekserah. Oh god so so many Inox. We got ruined so convincingly that my group wanted to cut tail and try the other route. It was our fault of course for not truly learning our lesson about avoiding damage. Not our fault that we handled the other scenarios so easily!

Anyway, I convinced them to give it another go with a different strategy. This time, we would forego too much aggression, instead clearing out a side room and making it our fortress. And it worked! Eventually we had to break out and start putting out the damage but by that point the geography of the room had funneled the remaining enemies into a neat pack. Probably would've been simple if we had anyone who specialized in AOE but still we handled it with aplomb.

Did get into a funny game of brinksmanship with another player who kept running himself into danger while I kept aggressively healing him. Turned out he had a scenario goal to end with 2 or less HP while mine was to make sure none of my allies got exhausted. Not fully incompatible but still it was funny to see us at cross purposes like that.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We’re gonna try and power through 2 scenarios today

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Several dozen scenarios in, I doubt my group will ever make it past prosperity level 6. We're in the middle of 5 right now, so we'll probably hit 6 after some retirements and city events, but I can't see how we're going to gain another 9 points after that. I skimmed through the remaining scenarios, and barely any offer prosperity as their reward. Obligatory prosperity spoiler:
    We opened the donation envelope, so I know about increasing prosperity that way, but 50 gold for every point (and escalating to 100 after the first few) seems like a rip-off. Most scenarios don't give out gold as rewards, and none of our characters are built for looting, so we're lucky to get more than 1 or 2 coins each per scenario, which is still only 4-8 gold at monster level 4.

I'd love to see some kind of random dungeon variant where you can choose to pursue specific rewards. Something like the different Item World routes you can select in Disgaea, where you'd say "I want to improve prosperity / get more money / increase our reputation", and that choice affects the dungeon setup and gets you that reward for completing it.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    My gaming group (all starter characters, still relatively early in the campaign) powered through a couple scenarios this week, #9 and #93. The former went pretty easily, but the latter...

Scenario #9:
    For our group (Brute/Mindthief/Spellweaver/Tinkerer), this was an absolute breeze. The elite hounds in the first room looked fearsome with Retaliate 2, but the spellweaver and tinkerer were mostly able to take them out from the back row, thus avoiding all that damage. We then we opened the door into the mainroom, where we were met by 10 vermling scouts and the overseer. The boss immediately flipped over special #1, which lets all the vermling take their action a second time. But unfortunately for them, the vermling draw was Move and Loot, so all the scouts just moved into a giant cluster in front of the door, and patiently stood as the spellweaver dropped an Icy Blast down that hit seven or eight of them at once. Given that the boss only does damage equal to the number of vermlings on the board, it was extremely easy to mop up the scenario at that point. I'm not sure we took a single point of damage in the second room.

We brought the reward from scenario #9 back to
    Jeskerah
    , who now wants us to
    help her raise an army of undead to overthrow the city government.
    We told her we'd think about it, and decided to first go follow this nifty treasure map we bought off some random guy in the street.

Scenario #93:
    Lurkers and Frost Demons and Living Spirits, Oh My! A road event prior to the scenario had sapped everyone of a couple hit points, and then the Lurkers on the beach hit us extremely hard right out of the gate, with the mindthief and tinkerer both having to lose a card on the first turn in order to avoid becoming exhausted due to damage. We finally managed to deal with them, only to have two more lurkers and a frost demon attack us in the shallows as we tried to wade out to the sunken ship. Going through the shallows was slow, and we all realized that we were dreadfully low on cards given that there were still two rooms left to explore. Our tinkerer ran out of cards at this point and became exhausted, stepping on board the ship with his final action to give us some intel on what we were about to face. Luckily, the ship itself was only manned by weak living spirits, and we moved past with them swiftly to see what treasure lay in the ship's hold. With two spirits still behind us, we threw open the door to the ship's hold, finding piles of gold coins and a gleaming treasure chest, guarded by three more spirits. Greed overtook us at that point: the brute, mindthief, and spellweaver all played their loot cards, hoping to scoop up the treasure while the others dealt with the spirits. Unfortunately for the rest of us, the spellweaver standing in the middle of the room had the highest initiative and his Loot 2 card, bringing in about 30 gold and a "Doomed Compass" item; the brute and mindthief sighed and turned to mop up the last couple spirits, completing the scenario on their very last turn before exhaustion. (The spellweaver had one more turn remaining after that.)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Opened envelope B!
    It brought us up to prosperity 2, which let two of us immediately gain a level

We also finished #4, and it was pretty big-standard except that it was necessary for our Mindthief’s personal quest

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Hey, a Gloomhaven thread!

We've been playing since I got my first printing box from KS and having a blast. There are still five classes locked up (three of those are being worked towards; we keep fudging drawing Character Goals until we get one that unlocks a new class because that's more fun), though one remains unplayed and two original classes remain unretired (with one in current play.)

I myself started with the Brute and played him mostly as a tank for a Tinkerer/Spellweaver/Mindthief combo. I retired him and unlocked the Sun class, which was a nice progression. Just finished retiring Sun and unlocked my most anticipated class, Two-Mini. We're at Prosperity 5 so I'm having fun trying to pick out my starting deck and six feats =)

Still can't believe I got this for $64. Though I've spent about that much since on upgrades and storage solutions. I didn't go with the Broken Token because 99% of the time we play at my house, so I just dedicated a shelf in my office to storing all the bits. I can set up a scenario in about 10 minutes including picking the scenario, ha.

Current party as of this coming Thursday will be Two-Mini, Music Note, Triforce, and Cragheart. We unlocked Angry Face through a scenario and consequently nobody's really taken a hard look at him, though it seems interesting.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    Hey, a Gloomhaven thread!

We've been playing since I got my first printing box from KS and having a blast. There are still five classes locked up (three of those are being worked towards; we keep fudging drawing Character Goals until we get one that unlocks a new class because that's more fun), though one remains unplayed and two original classes remain unretired (with one in current play.)

I myself started with the Brute and played him mostly as a tank for a Tinkerer/Spellweaver/Mindthief combo. I retired him and unlocked the Sun class, which was a nice progression. Just finished retiring Sun and unlocked my most anticipated class, Two-Mini. We're at Prosperity 5 so I'm having fun trying to pick out my starting deck and six feats =)

Still can't believe I got this for $64. Though I've spent about that much since on upgrades and storage solutions. I didn't go with the Broken Token because 99% of the time we play at my house, so I just dedicated a shelf in my office to storing all the bits. I can set up a scenario in about 10 minutes including picking the scenario, ha.

Current party as of this coming Thursday will be Two-Mini, Music Note, Triforce, and Cragheart. We unlocked Angry Face through a scenario and consequently nobody's really taken a hard look at him, though it seems interesting.

I endorse Angry Face 100%.

Various info pertinent to things mentioned:
    Sounds like we have most of the same guys unlocked, if in a different order. We also chained Brute into Sunkeeper!

Doomstalker is one of the best sustained-output guys in the game on single targets, and has a ton of get-around-inconvenient-stuff tools baked in once you learn your way around the Dooms. He's great; been playing him for a long while now, having come off a ranged attack-heavy Cragheart spec. The pets besides the falcon are a joke, though.

How are you guys finding Triforce? We haven't been willing to touch it.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Working on our Scoundrel's personal quest, and I'd like to reiterate: fuck bears. Especially elite ones. Had to rerun a mission because we just got demolished by then two rooms in.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So it seems every place in the world is out of stock on this, but it's coming back in stock on the 31st. Is that a new printing, or just more of the second printing?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Gave scenario 4 a run tonight. We achieved the moral victory of defeating all of the placed enemies but ultimately exhausted out due to a bunch of summoned ones that refused to stop healing themselves.

I did manage to rack up 17 xp in the process and loot a treasure chest, so it wasn't all bad. But I think we're gonna try one of the others we can run next time.

• Options
    Gave scenario 4 a run tonight. We achieved the moral victory of defeating all of the placed enemies but ultimately exhausted out due to a bunch of summoned ones that refused to stop healing themselves.

I did manage to rack up 17 xp in the process and loot a treasure chest, so it wasn't all bad. But I think we're gonna try one of the others we can run next time.

Failing missions is frustrating but often weirdly advantageous in the long run, as you seem to be noticing. We had one retirement quest option come up that we passed on that was basically an auto-complete... if you didn't mind deliberately failing some stuff.

• Options

Failing missions is frustrating but often weirdly advantageous in the long run, as you seem to be noticing. We had one retirement quest option come up that we passed on that was basically an auto-complete... if you didn't mind deliberately failing some stuff.

Knowing you're not going to clear the scenario is kind of liberating. You stop holding back your one-shot stunts and just go out in a blaze of glory.

Also scenario 4 is kind of bullshit in its layout. The fact that we got close at all (again, but for one poorly-timed monster summon card we would have cleared it) actually impressed us, which was largely due to the fact we recognized that splitting the party is basically mandatory for this one.

• Options
    edited March 2018

Knowing you're not going to clear the scenario is kind of liberating. You stop holding back your one-shot stunts and just go out in a blaze of glory.

Also scenario 4 is kind of bullshit in its layout. The fact that we got close at all (again, but for one poorly-timed monster summon card we would have cleared it) actually impressed us, which was largely due to the fact we recognized that splitting the party is basically mandatory for this one.

Yeah, several range harder or not depending on whether you hit summons or similar abilities. We've found it useful (for action-economy purposes) on couple occasions to open doors and then just keep moving and handle guys as they come out chasing us.

The general trend is that the very early game is quite difficult because your resources are limited and you're still learning the mechanics, then it eases up for a while, and it gets harder again as you near the end or do the optional and retirement-related missions, IME.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    When we did scenario 4 we had one level 3 character, one level 2 and 2 level 1s. This set the normal difficulty at level 1, so we had a much easier time clearing it. My Brute just cut a bloody swath through them.

• Options
    When we did scenario 4 we had one level 3 character, one level 2 and 2 level 1s. This set the normal difficulty at level 1, so we had a much easier time clearing it. My Brute just cut a bloody swath through them.

Does it not round up? (Legit asking, I don't remember.)

• Options
    edited March 2018

You take the average of the party's level, cut that in half, then round up. In this case, 0.875 = 1. A four player party doesn't start doing scenario level 2 until their combined levels equal 9.

Rius on
  • Options
    Of course you can bump the difficulty whenever you feel it necessary

• Options
    Or bump it twice if you've got a Cthulu who, well... does Cthulu-class things

• Options
    Man I can't wait to unlock our first class

My wife needs to retire her Mindthief to unlock Cthulhu but she loves Bhrahl Rumblefang and doesn't want to let her go

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Is it possible to get through most of the content without unlocking all classes?

Little bit worried about being Done With Gloomhaven and having lots of locked classes still. :(

• Options
    If you're worried about that, you could always replay old scenarios to work on unlocks, or do random missions if that helps with your personal goal

Really it's up to you and your group how quickly you make it through the campaign

We're taking our sweet time and I expect we'll get most to all of them unlocked

• Options
    Our group sorted that potential problem out by mulliganing Character Goal cards if they unlock a class that's already unlocked. As a result we only have 5 locked classes left (and are working on 3 of them) while still having tons of story content to play through, not to mention optional scenarios.

It's just fun to unlock new dudes.

• Options
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

You take the average of the party's level, cut that in half, then round up. In this case, 0.875 = 1. A four player party doesn't start doing scenario level 2 until their combined levels equal 9.

Aha, it was the "half" part I was forgetting.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So it seems every place in the world is out of stock on this, but it's coming back in stock on the 31st. Is that a new printing, or just more of the second printing?

So, we were in the same boat. Couldn't find it anywhere around us. Finally snagged a copy off a boardgames buy sell trade group. Good price cheap shipping.

5 days after we get it, my wife takes a trip to visit family in Dallas TX. She goes to a game shop there.

They have 15 copies.

What the hell.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

So, we were in the same boat. Couldn't find it anywhere around us. Finally snagged a copy off a boardgames buy sell trade group. Good price cheap shipping.

5 days after we get it, my wife takes a trip to visit family in Dallas TX. She goes to a game shop there.

They have 15 copies.

What the hell.

Murphy’s Law

• Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Is it possible to get through most of the content without unlocking all classes?

Little bit worried about being Done With Gloomhaven and having lots of locked classes still. :(

Seems like the answer is yes, if you play it straight. But probably not, if you want them unlocked badly enough.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    So on a whim after work today I went to a game store I've been to like once before. I looked around for a while and didn't see anything of interest, but whatever no harm. I grabbed a pack of dice I only half needed and went to the register, and lo and behold there's Gloomhaven staring back at me from behind the counter! Eeeeeeeeeee!