As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[5E OOC] Before the Darkness - "Who Watches the Poopmen"

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So as far as Crew ideas go, I've been thinking about the following suggestions:

BRAVOS - Rising mafia
    It's funny, when you look at the history of organized crime, how often the roots of these groups were community policing organizations in places where civil authority had failed. If we start out as a neighborhood protection scheme, I think a lot of the conflict would be in deciding whether we stay true to our founding ideals, or whether we let power corrupt us and become just another layer of oppression. The first option isn't just less profitable, it's probably more dangerous, because the authorities tend to come down harder on groups that highlight their own failings.

BRAVOS or SHADOWS - Worker's rebellion
    Perhaps we formed up during some kind of labor dispute. It was probably stamped out pretty effectively, and the only reason some of the ringleaders are still alive is because the company wanted to make examples of us, blacklisting us from all legitimate work, and forcing us to ruin our own reputations by becoming just another scoundrel gang. Conflict could be about how much time we spend doing jobs just to scrape together money, and how much time we spend on political projects and retributive actions, and whether we can find a balance that satisfies our need for survival and activism simultaneously. Which type of crew we are would depend on whether we were geared more to community outreach and organizing, or to industrial sabotage.

CULT - Eldritch conspiracy
    I really like how Kris Straub's character on the C-Team works, where he doesn't actually know the nature and attributes of his Warlock patron at the start of the game, but Jerry has been able to spool out details over the last year and a half. In this kind of scenario, we would all be drawn together by a mutual obsession. Maybe it contacted us in dreams. Maybe we found old books. Maybe we were recruited by senior cultists before they got themselves removed from the picture somehow. The important thing is, we don't know exactly what the deal is with our patron, just that we share an awareness of something and a compulsion to find out more.

CULT or BRAVOS - Dark heroes
    Maybe it's just because of how much of my adult life I've spent in the Arkham games, but a setting like this seems like a great fit for a vigilante gang. And I like the idea of forming this up as a Cult because of the notion that there was some kind of shared mentor or figurehead who died, and we elevated them to a kind of vigilante martyr, a saint of vengeance whose good word we're constantly spreading. But a Bravo group would work fine as well, if we haven't quite deified the old leader. A group like this would probably be volatile and short-lived, but I think it would be fun. And it would fit well with our earlier notion of every character representing a different kind of Fear, if we're emulating the old leader.

A common theme in most of these ideas seems to be people trying to do good in a society that doesn't really seem to have room for it, and whether they can hold to their ideals or just become another bunch of shady assholes. I don't really have any super clear ideas for Assassins, while Hawkers and Smugglers both seem like crew types that would work better when we all have a little more knowledge of the setting, but I'm open to ideas for all of them.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    tfw the game rules specifically say you should wait until the first session to do crew and character creation, lol

honestly haven't had a reason to read through a RPG book in a while, glad I'm enjoying this one

(nothing wrong with coming up with ideas, though)

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Oh. Well, consider the dude I sent you a minute ago just some advanced brainstorming then.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    lol checked this second same as you :)

Miss me? Find me on:

ah yeah, tonight is pita night

and I'm gonna put on a pot of coffee right before the game starts (crossing fingers, toes, and nipples)

Miss me? Find me on:

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Tonight is game niiiiiiight

Assuming I don't self-destruct in the next two hours which is a very real possibility

edited March 2018
    today's session in a meme: LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING B-

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited March 2018
    So I had a dream last night that I was tweeting about our game and Anna Kendrick asked if she could join. So I helped her make a Triton Storm Sorcerer, because she wanted to be the Little Mermaid but she didn't want to be typecast as a Bard. And then I slept through my alarm because I didn't want to wake up from that. Even though the dream was literally just me typing into the twitter private message window.

Just giving y'all a heads-up in case that turns out to be prophetic.

Desert Leviathan on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    A mermaid you say...

iguanacus wrote: »
    A mermaid you say...

I am willing to concede that there is a very probable causality chain.

So I had a dream last night that I was tweeting about our game and Anna Kendrick asked if she could join. So I helped her make a Triton Storm Sorcerer, because she wanted to be the Little Mermaid but she didn't want to be typecast as a Bard. And then I slept through my alarm because I didn't want to wake up from that. Even though the dream was literally just me typing into the twitter private message window.

Just giving y'all a heads-up in case that turns out to be prophetic.

Yes, Anna Kendrick can join, hit her up on Twitter and see if she's free thursdays.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    iguanacus wrote: »
    A mermaid you say...

I am willing to concede that there is a very probable causality chain.

well, it could have been worse all things considered.

I mean, what if she wanted to be a werewolf.

Melding on
    hi, hello

are we going the thing, tonight?

Miss me? Find me on:

i sure hope so

By Angus's hammer, we shall be avenged!

I'm googling new Eldritch Blast jokes as we speak.

Three Eels to the Wind

Miss me? Find me on:

Cthulhu's Pool Noodles

edited March 2018
    So here's the stuff I settled on for 12th level

- Ability Score Improvement - Dexterity +2 (total 18)
    - Replace Hold Person on my spell list with Mirror Image (Hold Person is overlaps too much with Dominate Person and Mass Suggestion, while Mirror Image is a strong defense that doesn't require Concentration)
    - New Eldritch Invocation - Misty Visions (at-will Silent Image)
    - Also noticed that I'd miscounted my HP at some point and had 3 more than I should have. Last level should have had only 69, but I had 72 listed. A wasted opportunity. I now have 75.

Long term, I'm looking at Charm Person and the Friends cantrip and thinking I may ditch them as well. I like the idea that as his power progresses, Mal's mind-influencing magic becomes more overt and intrusive. Not sure what I'd replace them with yet, though.

My current spell list:

Warlock Pact Magic Spells [all cast using 5th level slots]: Charm Person, Hex, Counterspell (replaced Dissonant Whispers at level 5), Mirror Image (replacing Hold Person at level 12), Invisibility, Fly, Hypnotic Pattern, Banishment, Evard's Black Tentacles, Dominate Person, Telekinesis
    Warlock Pact Magic Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Friends
    Pact of the Tome Cantrips: Shillelagh (Druid), Guidance (Cleric), Vicious Mockery (Bard)
    Pact of the Tome (Book of Ancient Secrets Eldritch Invocation) Rituals: Find Familiar and Comprehend Languages are my freebies, and then with starting GP I've acquired all other spells with the Ritual Tag, excluding those 6th level or above, or those added in Xanathar's Guide. Which is like four or five Rituals I'm missing at most.
    Eldritch Invocation Spells: Mage Armor (Armor of Shadows), Silent Image (Misty Visions), Disguise Self (Mask of Many Faces)
    Mystic Arcanum Spells: Mass Suggestion

Desert Leviathan on
    I love all y'all
    but I'm hurting real bad and I have to put this on hiatus for a bit since things are just not getting better
    I'm sorry

it's worth the wait, Nat

Miss me? Find me on:

how do you do fellow adventurers

Miss me? Find me on:

edited March 2018
    Ok, so I talked to Rainfall about this, and she gave me the go-ahead. Would you all be interested in me running a Backup Story during the hiatus? Basically, I've got an adventure written out that never got used for another thing, and if you're into it I'll use it to keep things going, and make characters tomorrow?

There is a city in tropical latitudes located on an isthmus between two major rival nations. It's a cosmopolitan place with many different species present. And it has recently been conquered by one of its neighbors, as a prelude to a larger war. You are part of the Resistance, although you start out operating on a very low, very independent tier thereof.

If this sounds like Final Fantasy 12, that's because I'm not bothering to hide my influences.

More detailed setting stuff:
    The Free City of Kulshedra - The crossroad city, a major nexus of trade, finance, and cultural exchange. Kulshedra is built between a volcano and a major port. The wealthier districts are higher on the volcano's slopes, while things like the old palace and the temples of the region's major gods are inside the dormant caldera itself. The poorer districts closer to the port are marshy, divided up by canals, and feature few buildings taller than a few stories and no basements. A Goliath community has strange tower-houses around the rim of the Caldera, and technically they are the legal owners of the mountain, which they lease to the city. The mountain interior is full of Dwarfs who have converted old lava tubes into living space. Because the Gods of Kulshedra were also popular in the North Continent, and the city was the birthplace of the most common form of organized worship of those Gods, the city has relied on the Coalition of Seven Spears in the past for assistance defending themselves. But that arrangement failed to protect them when the Panjandrum Empire recently conquered them.

The Incarnadine Conclave - To the north of Kulshedra, the marshy area spreads out into a fairly dense swamp that gives way to old forests to the west. This area is ruled by Firbolgs who think of themselves as close kin to the Goliaths of the mountain. This area is technically independent of Kulshedra, but closely allied to it. The Firbolgs negotiated a more peaceful surrender with Panjandrum, but have covertly sheltered revolutionary groups.

The Panjandrum Empire - South of Kulshedra, a continent-spanning Theocracy with aims of world conquest. Panjandrum conquered Kulshedra four years ago and has been building up its military forces there officially to deal with bandits and piracy, but probably in preparation for a campaign in the north continent against their rivals, the Principality of Abzu. Panjandrum is a humans-first empire, where all other races are barred from upper levels of military, political, and religious office. The exceptions are plane-touched Human variants - Genasi, Tieflings, and Aasimar are treated as valued resources and often fast-tracked for high advancement, but enjoy limited freedom as a result. Panjandrum strictly licensed Arcane Magic, and rejects Divine Magic not linked to their pantheon of deified Saints, although they are warily tolerant of the religions of conquered territories. There's not much of a tradition of Nature Magic as a branch of Divine Magic in the empire, so they're not sure how to deal with Druids quite yet.

The Coalition of Seven Spears - A military alliance of seven prosperous realms on the North Continent, the chief rival of the Panjandrum Empire. The Coalition formerly had amicable relations with Kulshedra, but failed to come to Kulshedra's aid when Panjandrum invaded. Includes:
    - The Principality of Abzu: Largest and wealthiest in the Coalition, providing the financial backing to the whole enterprise. The oldest known Order of Paladins in the world hail from Abzu. The dominant people of Abzu are Dragonborn, and because of that Dragonborn found elsewhere are assumed by Panjandrum to have Abzu ties even if their families have been local for generations. Abzu formerly had a very strict caste system, but has relaxed this somewhat in recent generations. The major lingering effect is that Chromatic and Metallic Dragonborn bloodlines don't often intermarry, and it's seen as somewhat odd for a Chromatic Dragonborn to enter the military, or a Metallic Dragonborn to study magic.
    - The Rimefang Mountain Alliance: A group of several dozen small Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear, and Orc clans who are happy to band together in a rowdy mob and tag along when their neighbors go to war. Each of these four races has a King or Queen, and the four of them meet regularly at an ancient ruined temple where an oracle left behind a scrying pool, which they share for the good of all their people.
    - Absalon's Vale: A valley kept isolated by the illusions and space warping magic of the ancient wizard who claims dominion. It's tiny and sparsely populated, but disproportionately influential because nearly every citizen has studied Arcane Magic. The Vale's wizards serve as advisers to leaders of most of the other Coalition nations. Arcane spellcasters of all origins are welcome to settle here, and it's nearly as mixed a society as Kulshedra itself.
    - The Heidar Horseclans: A region of semi-nomadic steppe people (chiefly human, some halflings) who produce the world's finest cavalry, and tow around caravans full of religious statuary that has to be regularly moved in a complex pattern around the land according to some kind of religious taboo.
    - Traumheim Isle: Actually a large island southeast of the rest of the coalition, formerly the major source of sea traffic to Kulshedra. The ancestral homeland of Rock Gnomes, the most scientifically advanced nation in the world.
    - West Gersdott: Birthplace of the Coalition, and the legendary warrior-queen who first lead it in defense against the hostile predecessor to Panjandrum. Very old-school feudal, but trying to modernize with regards to treatment of the peasant class, and experiencing some political turmoil because of that. (East Gersdott seceded and went isolationist 300 years ago, then destroyed itself in a magical cataclysm - its ruins are quarantined and tightly guarded.)
    - The Protectorate of Samyaza: A peninsula stretching down from the north continent until its tip is just west of Kulshedra's isthmus. It's basically several hundred miles of coastland with very little interior, and the dominant naval power in the Coalition. The people of Samyaza claim to be descended from the actual bloodline of the Old Gods, but if this has resulted in any supernatural traits, they haven't been forthcoming about them to outsiders.

The Amaranthine Archipelago: In the seas east of Kulshedra. Formerly the home of a race of amphibious Near-Giants who were kin to the Firbolgs and Goliaths, now it's full of old ruins that have been converted into pirate hideouts and havens to political exiles, mixed in with all the sleepy fishing villages that have grown there over the centuries. Sweeping it clean of habitation is likely the next short-term goal for Panjandrum.

The People's Magnificent Democratic Republic of Sh'yth'rssk: A Yuan-ti slave state just off the coast of Panjandrum, possibly the worst goddamn place on earth, but tolerated by Panjandrum because they control over 2/3rds of the world's known Adamantine supply.

Vorukk's Hallow: A weird little politically independent cyst close to the center of Panjandrum, within sight of the capital city. It's not clear why Panjandrum tolerates Vorukk, but rumors suggest it's home to a Necromancer of supreme power. Panjandrum regularly sends shipments of condemned prisoners into Vorukk's Hallow, and doesn't appear to get anything back for the trouble, except that whatever actually dwells there doesn't seem to want to come out.

Inter-Dimensional Visitors: This world is linked up to Sigil and the standard array of Planes, or to the Phlogiston and the Crystal Spheres if you prefer, so visitors from other D&D worlds are totally reasonable. Just so long as you're invested enough in your new home to care about the invasion of Kulshedra and fight back.

Classes: Play whatever you like from published materials. Only UA content in play is the Variant Ranger. Spellcasters of any sort will have interesting interactions with the Empire, but start with all their documentation in order (authentic or forged).

Races: I anticipate a lot of this taking place outdoors, in the sunny tropics, so think twice before you pick something that doesn't like bright lights. Aasimar, Genasi, and Tieflings will have some weirdness to deal with from the Empire, mostly in the form of recruiters offering them full citizenship if they participate in magical experiments.

Gods: I posted about this lot ages ago. I'd prefer you stuck to worshiping the Old Gods, because the Young Gods of Panjandrum are still meant to be something of a mystery.

Desert Leviathan on
    how do you feel about Grung, Scott?

Miss me? Find me on:

btw, I only learned about the 'official' version today by sheer chance

so this is basically destiny

Miss me? Find me on:

Yeah, official WoTC stuff on the Dungeon Masters Guild is all good.

I haven't read the PDF, but from what I recall of them, Grung wouldn't be out of place coming from the swamps of the Conclave Incarnadine (probably more civilized, or at least sociable) or the jungles of Samyaza (where the more aggressive and hostile types from the Monster Manual would make better sense) or the tropical Amaranthine Archipelago (where pretty much anybody could wash up). The North Continent has some decent sized spans of unincorporated wilderness where you could probably find Grungs in a jungle too. Whereas the Panjandrum Empire has pretty methodically strip-mined any available resources on the South Continent, so Grungs from there would have likely fled for their lives ahead of the destruction of their homes. And of course, Kulshedra itself has all kinds of people from all kinds of places.

grungs are big ol' asshole dickhead slavers, so Samyaza seems like a smart choice for them

still hammering out the backstory (my original idea turned out to be problematic upon reflection)

but in short: she's a grung who was hatched the wrong color (grung lay their eggs into separate pools based on their caste) who was eventually exiled from her tribal city when the priesthood finally agreed on whether she was a curse or blessing from their gods (in reality, someone had coupled with a marid and never fessed up to it)

that technically makes her part genasi, and I'll take magic initiate to reflect that if/when she gets her first feat (RIP 18 dexterity)

her name is c'Arlyr'Ae (she goes by 'Arly' in common)

she's the worst alignment in D&D, a fighter (Battlemaster depending on starting level), and I haven't decided on her weapon yet (thinking either rapier/shield, or a bow)

Miss me? Find me on:

edited March 2018
    FYI the Grung aren't adventurer league compatible, but from the look of it it's mostly because they're kinda rubbish* (they have to submerge themselves in water once a day,

Racial bonuses:
    • are small
    • +2 Dex, +1 con
    • 25 ft. walking and climbing speed
    • can breathe water and air
    • immune to poison damage and the poisoned status
    • on contact, people have to make a DC 12 con save to avoid being poisoned - this does not differentiate between friend and foe (it can also be applied to a piercing weapon for 2d4 poison damage, 12 con save to negate)
    • can leap 25 ft. laterally, and 15 ft. high
    • they also have to immerse themselves in water for one hour a day or suffer exhaustion

this doesn't look TOO ridiculous beyond the poison immunity and climbing speed, but that's up to you

*a small price to pay, actually

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Hmm, I want to try out sun soul monk.

wait, figured out the weapon

she uses a rapier/shield

but instead of calling it a rapier, I'm gonna call it a gig spear

damn right I'm making a frog gigging reference

Miss me? Find me on:

The isthmus to the south and west of Kulshedra sees the jungle give way to savanna, then to desert, but that's deeper into Panjandrum territory so you if you were heading that way, bringing enough water to submerse a small size creature would be the least of your logistical concerns. Those stats look fine, anyway! Go for it!

And starting level 3.

I'm getting Create Water as part of magic initiate at level 4 or 6

so its going to be no problem at all as long as I have something to collect the water in

a decanter of endless water would also be an option, but I might get one of those anyway because those are a lot of fun

Miss me? Find me on:

oh hello, yeah, i would be interested, i have been kicking around some half formed ideas for things.

Oh yeah, for starting equipment, standard level 1 gear plus 100 GP. No magic items yet. Don't worry, I tend to be generous with handouts, I just don't want character creation to be too big of a hassle.

@iguanacus I could imagine a school of the Sun Soul Style arising among the faithful of the Oracle of Dancing Stars (goddess of Light, Hope, Intuition, Prophecy, and Good Fortune). The Goddess has become distant, elevating fewer Divine Spellcasters than her peers, and communicating with those she does choose very little. So to bolster their ranks they've investigated other options for channeling her light, and a school of monks who shoot energy balls out of their hands would be a pretty good fit for their style.

Without her direct intervention, there's been a schism among her faithful. The Daystar Faction feels that they should hold the line with her last known commands to the best of their ability, and are the faction that has most of the older and more experienced clerics, and also has its fingers deep in the Kulshedra banks (leans Lawful). The Polestar Faction feels that they should investigate omens an portents from all sources, even if they don't obviously source back to the Goddess, they've got more resources out in the countryside away from Kulshedra proper, and more of the recently elevated Clerics an Paladins have joined with them. Both factions would be more than willing to train Monks.

Or if you like, there's a big chunk of the North continent that I haven't detailed where you could put stuff, and a land across the sea to the east that I haven't even thought about yet, or just put a monastery with whatever attributes and philosophy seem appropriate in any of the nations I already described.

I'm actually gonna see what the group says before picking my class

my main rule is that I'm trying to avoid a wisdom based class, because my last two characters leaned that way

beyond that, I just gotta deal with not having a stronger casting stat if I do any spell casting class at all

Miss me? Find me on:

Here's the link for the game. I had less time than anticipated at work today to scan stuff in and familiarize myself with the DM backend on Roll20 (by which I mean to say no time whatsoever), so we'll be going Theater of the Mind tonight after character creation, assuming we get done with that soon enough to jump in to the adventure.

https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/3170260/tales-from-the-barracudas-bones

Still struggling between assassin and swashbuckler

Because jumping real good sounds pretty fantastic for a swashbuckler

But disguises and poison also sounds fun

Combat wise, it's between having a crazy good first strike (as long as our enemy is surprised) or having mobility and stupid tricks

Opinions for my mighty poison dart frog person?

Miss me? Find me on:

In terms of mechanics, Swashbuckler is a bit ahead of Assassin, because it was one of those subclasses written to address specific complaints about the corebook Rogue. Assassin puts a lot of hope in getting that First Strike, and can be kind of frustrating in longer battles. But Swashbuckler will provide you options through the whole fight.

tonally, swashbuckler is also a LOT closer to what I'm going for

Miss me? Find me on:

I solidified my characters personality traits and such (read all of Bruno's as well!)

been peaking at the other character sheets and everyone else is good and pure, while my character is basically y'all's personal gremlin

Miss me? Find me on: