As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Hierarchy

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Hierarchy

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm officially getting old.

Who is Ninja, and why should I know about him?

• Options
    Fr0styzFr0styz Registered User new member
    Ninja is a top level Fortnite streamer who's probably the most responsible for the game's blowout success other than, you know, the game's actual playability. The reference in the comic, however, is that he recently duo'd with Drake, the legit hip-hop artist, and broke the concurrent viewership record for a non-professional event on twitch, exceeding 600,000 viewers.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    ViRGE wrote: »

I'd no real idea either, but I'd heard on twitch yesterday that he broke some records for most viewers and most subs because he streamed with Drake. One can only imagine how many more viewers he'd have got if Josh had also been there...

• Options
    RigamarawRigamaraw Registered User regular
    At least he knows you have connections. That's something, right?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Oh yes Ninja! Of course I know ninja! He did that thing!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Ah yes, first Mr Sparkles and now Ninja.

Poor Gabe.

Ninja's a top 1 Fortnite streamer that has a insane amount of viewers every time.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I really am an old curmudgeon at 35.

I see and hear about streamers who just play competitive FPS and it irritates me. Battle Royale and PUBG irritate me. I don't understand the fascination with these games, and I don't understand why the industry has taken a sudden shift towards something that seems neither revolutionary or groundbreaking to me. Big maps, many players, deathmatch, wasn't this stuff all done back in like 1995?

Of course, I don't understand the mainstream appeal of Call of Duty either.

Yeah, yeah, everybody has different tastes, blah blah. But man. My tastes are so out of whack with what everybody else seems to enjoy. I cannot even fathom how some of the most successful games are so successful.

Shooting dudes online? No thanks.

PVP... blech.

• Options
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Ah yes, first Mr Sparkles and now Ninja.

Poor Gabe.

Ninja's a top 1 Fortnite streamer that has a insane amount of viewers every time.

From what I understand he came out of nowhere and broke viewership records. He's the "next" big thing or the current thing; either way he's a thing.

• Options
    there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Oh yes Ninja! Of course I know ninja! He did that thing!

Yes, the, um... [sound of furious googling] super-weird South-African musician who once played basketball with Kanye West against, um, Drake? That's gotta be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqa8p1xbjds

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I see and hear about streamers who just play competitive FPS and it irritates me. Battle Royale and PUBG irritate me. I don't understand the fascination with these games, and I don't understand why the industry has taken a sudden shift towards something that seems neither revolutionary or groundbreaking to me. Big maps, many players, deathmatch, wasn't this stuff all done back in like 1995?

Yeah, yeah, everybody has different tastes, blah blah. But man. My tastes are so out of whack with what everybody else seems to enjoy. I cannot even fathom how some of the most successful games are so successful.

PVP... blech.

I'm 33 and I really enjoy watching people play PUBG. With Jerry and Kiko it's fun to just watch them have fun and play a meta-game, but at a competitive level it's an amazingly tactical game. Every decision you make has ramifications that affect how far you'll go in a match. Do you spend more time looting and potentially die to the circle or attrition? Do you move in with subpar gear? Do you fire now and give away your position? Do you wait and potentially lose the opportunity? Do you hold a building and hope the circle moves onto you? Do you move and expose yourself to enemy fire or ambushes? The "Most Dangerous Game" aspect is a part of it too.

My favorite games tend to be PvE coop games like Destiny, WoW, et al. Working together out of PvP is where I really find joy in games, but sometimes working together in PvP can be more rewarding. The stakes go beyond meeting an arbitrary threshold set by the game designers and that adds a level of excitement that PvE just doesn't have. I'm definitely a carer, or one who cares about outcomes at the very least, so I'm more of a Mike than a Jerry, which can be problematic in PvP. Maybe that has something to do with why I enjoy watching it more than playing it.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

PVP... blech.

That sounds more like you not liking FPS PVP gameplay (or just PVP in general, I dunno) rather than you being an old curmudgeon. My father is in his late 40s and has spent the last decade playing FPS games online with his brother, also in his late 40s.

People who play PVP FPS games like to compete against other people, and an FPS is fairly easy to pick up the basics of, so a lot of people get hooked into them fairly early because of friends (and marketing).

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

He's been around a lot longer than can simply be chalked up to age, though in relative obscurity until now so I don't fault anyone for not knowing - I don't watch him either but I happen to know of his history.

He was apparently a competitive Halo 2/3 player way back when that was relevant, but eventually got his real break streaming "battle royale" games, starting with H1Z1(occasionally teaming with other popular streamers like Summit) and becoming progressively more popular as he moved on to PUBG and eventually Fortnite. His popularity exploded the other day when it was noticed that Drake followed him on Instagram, and that connection somehow eventually led to Drake making an appearance on his stream.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Lil Gabe raised his hopes and dashed them quite expertly. :lol:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular

PVP... blech.

Right there with you on the PvP thing. I'm a year behind you and I grew up playing a lot of games, PC and console, but I've never invested the time into any one game to be competitive. When I tried Halo 5 MP after finishing the campaign, I was getting fragged seconds after I spawned. Nothing fun about that. I suspect the Battle Royale thing will play itself out and some new shiny thing will come along, but for now, the only way I can see more than a minute or two of a match is to watch someone else play. Some of the personalities on Twitch are pretty funny too.

• Options
    A lot of gamers weren’t alive twenty years ago to play death match though.

• Options
    droopymccdroopymcc Registered User new member
    I'm in the same boat as some commenters below. At the ripe age of 37, these references blow right past me. Who's Ninja?
    Second time this week I have no idea what P-A is talking about. :P

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    No, in 1995 literally nobody was doing any of the following things:

1. Huge maps
    2. 100 players
    3. Looting all your equipment from semi-randomized spawns
    4. Random shrinking play field
    5. No respawns

And frankly up until the late 2010s, almost nobody was doing any of that. The reason the industry has taken a sudden shift towards it is in part because it's an extremely compelling kind of game. It's very different from traditional deathmatch, team deathmatch, or objective based shooters. Even the largest shooter maps (Tribes, the Battlefield series) aren't as big as the maps in a lot of these games. Even the longest round no-respawn shooters (Rainbow 6, Counterstrike) have rounds a fraction of the length of these games. Even the games with the widest variety of equipment you have to pick up from the map as you go along (Quake) have nowhere near the sort of looting mechanics in these games. Even the games with the highest number of players (Tribes and BF again) don't have 100 people. And nobody did the randomly shrinking map before this, I think (the maps were never big enough).

• Options
    CryptkickerCryptkicker Registered User regular
    Ninja? The dude from Die Antwoord? You know him??

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    A lot of gamers weren’t alive twenty years ago to play death match though.

This makes me feel old. I take solace in that it would also make the kids I used to tutor/minister to a decade ago also feel old.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The problem I had with PUBG was that after playing two rounds, I realized that if you find a car and just drive back and forth inside the circle constantly, nobody will bother trying to kill you until there are only a few players left. Almost guaranteed top 10 every. Single. Time.

So at that point I just wasn't interested in *not* using that strategy and getting killed by someone half a mile away fifty times in a row when I knew damn well it was unnecessary, OR in *using* that strategy and then bothering to go the rest of the way, when 90% of the time you spend playing the game is just rote time-killing.

PeriSoft on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I tried a few rounds of Fortnite last weekend, and I get the appeal. The downtime when you're just running across the map isn't the most compelling, but when you're suddenly under fire from some unseen sniper or you and your buddy run into another team and all hell breaks loose, it's pretty exhilarating.

Can't say it really captured my attention, but it was fun. I'll probably jump back in every now and then when I get bored. Gonna be interesting to see what other developers do to tweak the battle royale formula so their games stand out.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Also Fortnite has the whole building aspect added to it in team BR though I don’t know if that’s in the solo BR mode

• Options
    Friend Of BeerFriend Of Beer Registered User new member
    I adore the faces in the second panel! :)

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    NINJA AND DRAKE

THEY'RE COPS

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

PVP... blech.

You and me, man.

I've watched several PUBG streams and I don't get it, either. Yeah, there may be 100 people on a map, but they tend to be so spread out, it doesn't matter. Random equipment everywhere has the unfortunate side effect of some people being geared to the hilt, and others having nothing worthwhile for most of the game. The circle is somewhat interesting, but moves so slow, and covers so much of the map during the first half of any given match as to not matter.

It's, like you say, deathmatch with a couple added gimmicks.

But, like you, I find that my tastes are the opposite of mainstream. I play games for immersion, story, etc. Popping dudes on the same map over and over is the antithesis of fun for me.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This seems ... familiar.
    i-kKhMKPH-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    This seems ... familiar.
    i-kKhMKPH-2100x20000.jpg

Between these and some of the QA panels, i don't think G&T will ever tire of making jokes about how uncool they are to their children and children's peers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

He's been around a lot longer than can simply be chalked up to age, though in relative obscurity until now so I don't fault anyone for not knowing - I don't watch him either but I happen to know of his history.

He was apparently a competitive Halo 2/3 player way back when that was relevant, but eventually got his real break streaming "battle royale" games, starting with H1Z1(occasionally teaming with other popular streamers like Summit) and becoming progressively more popular as he moved on to PUBG and eventually Fortnite. His popularity exploded the other day when it was noticed that Drake followed him on Instagram, and that connection somehow eventually led to Drake making an appearance on his stream.

Everything about that sequence of events is so very very dumb.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

PVP... blech.

I get not liking it, I don't personally.

But to say you cannot fathom how people would enjoy competition(a thing commonly part of humanity... forever) in a game that lots of people are playing (better and more varied competition) also while stuff like e-sports and streaming make competitive gaming a bigger deal then I think you are not even remotely trying to understand.

And even the date comment doesn't make any sense. Even if some of it has been around(even though huge improvements have come over the years and lots of parts were not done back then) competitive shooters were always popular. And now gaming has become more popular and more accessible and the advent of streaming and actual professional gaming means that it makes perfect logical sense that competitive shooters are more popular now. It would be weird if they weren't.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

Everything about that sequence of events is so very very dumb.

It's dumb but it involves someone big in an older and more established entertainment industry buddying up with a gaming nerd so it's dumb in a great way for me.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I just... Listen, I am perfectly aware that I am like the last person who should be throwing shade regarding shitty usernames (well, besides the tools who pick offensive ones), but "Ninja" really seems like a poor choice for a professional to build a brand identity around. It's just so generic and lacking any specific identifier.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    Tycho said: " YouTube is now where you go to learn that your uncle is a racist. "

And Twitch is where you go to find that your cousin is homophobic.

Such a difference between generations.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I will never tire of stories about Gabe's kid not caring that his father basically owns a large and massively influential gaming empire.

EDIT: I can also only assume "Ninja" is a name this streamer picked when he was like 12 and stuck with it ever since (says the guy whose online handle is Link.)

Linktm on
  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    donavannj wrote: »

PVP... blech.

That sounds more like you not liking FPS PVP gameplay (or just PVP in general, I dunno) rather than you being an old curmudgeon. My father is in his late 40s and has spent the last decade playing FPS games online with his brother, also in his late 40s.

People who play PVP FPS games like to compete against other people, and an FPS is fairly easy to pick up the basics of, so a lot of people get hooked into them fairly early because of friends (and marketing).

Meh. I'm with donavannj here. I have absolutely no idea why the kids are into the things they are into now, Minecraft aside. And the only PVP fix I've ever been into is good old Fighting Games. But them young whippersnappers don't know the Hadokens no more. T_T

OmegaDez on
  • Options
    dimofodidimofodi Registered User new member
    While some of this is fairly accurate, it's quite misguiding at the same time. Ninja broke the record for single streamer subscribers on Twitch long before Drake was involved in anything. He was expanding rapidly as no streamer ever had. He still is growing. He does date back to Halo 2/3 competitive tournament player. His Twitch started to grow with H1Z1 and PUBG because Twitch wasn't very popular during the good days of Halo. He switched games and essentially blew up due to outstanding gameplay, entertaining antics on stream that don't push the boundaries at all, interacts with his chat when he can (which has become difficult due to the fact roughly 70-100k+ people watch him at any given time and so on). The only thing noticing Drake followed him led to, was him and Drake playing together and breaking the concurrent viewer record for a single broadcaster on Twitch. He had previously played with JuJu Schuster-Smith of the Pittsburgh Steelers before as well. He has mainstream media attention now due to Drake yes but he definitely didn't explode just because Drake followed him.

• Options
    Ryan A. ElliottRyan A. Elliott Registered User regular
    Ninja as in the singer from Die Antwoord?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Linktm wrote: »
    I will never tire of stories about Gabe's kid not caring that his father basically owns a large and massively influential gaming empire.

EDIT: I can also only assume "Ninja" is a name this streamer picked when he was like 12 and stuck with it ever since (says the guy whose online handle is Link.)

I mean, I was ~14 and Ken Penders was writing a comicbook about Knuckles the Echidna when I first started using H3Knuckles on websites, so kind of in the same boat. Just, you'd think a streamer would want something that would be more unique.
    v62lyuxo5emj.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I mean, I was ~14 and Ken Penders was writing a comicbook about Knuckles the Echidna when I first started using H3Knuckles on websites, so kind of in the same boat. Just, you'd think a streamer would want something that would be more unique.
    v62lyuxo5emj.jpg

Lol lookit these nerds still using handles from when they were teenagers.
    Waitaminute...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

PVP... blech.

Growing older is a process of understanding that life is a bit like a circle. This is especially true when you have kids.

Because now you can appreciate how befuddled our parents were at our fascination for sitting on our asses and pressing buttons while staring at a tv doing stuff that is totally pointless.

Not that their spectating hobbies made any more objective sense. Watching people throw a ball through a circle, then run to the other end and throw a ball into a circle, then repeat for what seems like hours to me? Or watching people hit a ball with a stick and try to run really fast before someone can throw that ball back and touch them with it? Bleh.

Though I suppose the people playing those sports (compared to us playing videogames) might be able to at least make the argument that they're at least forestalling the inevitable collapse of their meat vessels. But then with all the injuries, even that argument starts to get diminished.

For me, though, I can at least understand some of the edges of this. I love watching Jerry and Kiko play PUBG. Of course, they don't play to be competitive, but just to enjoy playing with each other and entertaining their PA fans.

Like this:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/ResoluteRacyDragonflyCurseLit
    https://clips.twitch.tv/FreezingSaltyDiscDancingBaby

Or you can enjoy Josh making fun of tube, which he does, like, every five minutes:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/IronicAgreeablePorcupineTooSpicy

And I have to tell you, on those few occasions where they get down to the final handful of people, it gets tense as hell. Usually I leave the stream up while I'm working on other stuff. But at those times, I have to move that window back over to my big monitor and just stop and watch from the edge of my seat. I can get the excitement.

And when you say, "wasn't this stuff all done back in like 1995?", while you are absolutely right in one way you are totally wrong in another because what wasn't there in 1995 was the ability for people to see it who weren't on your couch. And if you'll remember - the people on your couch, on those rare occasions when you could get that together - had a blast! This is even true of us old fogeys, because now we know how hard it is to arrange a thing like that. But with streaming, we can actually still enjoy that experience.
    donavannj wrote: »
    That sounds more like you not liking FPS PVP gameplay (or just PVP in general, I dunno) rather than you being an old curmudgeon.

Personally, I hate most FPSes but love to watch the aforementioned PUBG/Fortnite/Sea of Thieves streams

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

v62lyuxo5emj.jpg

Most streamers don't start off knowing they are going to big streamers. And once you have an audience no sense in changing your name. They are still using the name that all of their online friends know them with as well.