As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] [Greyhawk] Group 1: Krestible, Perrenland

2»

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To Gregory:
    You're pretty sure you know of the box canyon Erhard speaks of, but you also know of something else about the Shield Lands: this part of the mountain range is beset with massive rifts and canyons that roll into the plains just like the box canyon you were told of. It's possible you could lead the beast up a "ramp" of sorts to the edge of the box canyon, possibly suckering it into the space if you played your movements right.

Alternatley, you can think of another rift that you could lead the beast towards. It's deeper, but not filled with goblins. It might slow it down further, it might not. It's a gamble, either way, and the tactics in front of you are more or less the same.

Pony on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "Use your head, elf! We don't have to go into the canyon," Morgaine shouted ahead as she flanked Gregory's horse, "we just have to lead him there... I'm sure we can find a way to make it a more exciting target than ourselves!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "I'm more worried about getting it's attention in the first place," Kerner mumbled, then yelled to his companions, "Stagger your formation as we come closer to the monster; once it starts after us, we can't afford to bunch up and provide it an easy meal."

With one hand firmly on the reins, Kerner tries to remember exactly where in his bag he had placed his horn.

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "Excellent thinking," Morgaine shouted back, "and I beg your pardon, but I don't believe I asked either of your names, gentlemen"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "No, you're right, we dont have to go in, but we go up from the opposite side. Lead it into the box from the top"

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "There has been little time for the usual pleasantries," Kerner agreed. "I am Kerner Tygian, and at the service of all those who would risk their lives alongside my own."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Truck had remained silent, and had mounted the warhorse quietly, and he raised a hand quietly to Morgaine. "Truck," he grunted. Hadn't someone offered him a crossbow? Why hadn't he taken it? He'd been so out of it, the thought of that thing out there had him at wit's end (and Truck's wits ended pretty short to begin with.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "Gregory, Gregory Rothschild, and I have been sober for 3 hours." He pauses, "Oh, well i guess this isnt that sort of meeting now? You were half right Kerner, I am also a gambler. What do you say for a wager, 10 coin one of us gets eaten!"

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kerner laughed in spite of himself. "You are insatiable, Gregory, but I am not one to place gold upon men's lives so lightly. Should we live to see through this, I would be glad to test my skill at cards against your own, and perhaps friend Truck's here, if he is interested in such things."

A dazzling streak of light splits the sky yet again, and Kerner attempts to shout above the ensuing thunder. "And how shall we address you, Maiden of Mayaheine? I would hold you most responsible for our lot tonight, if I did not believe you have less fear in your heart for this task than many of the men who now accompany you."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The cleric matched the speed of her horse to Kerner's as she spoke.

"You may call me my name, which is Morgaine. I am an itinerant, and have earned to title nor station within the church, and am much like an unranked soldier. And rest assured that this beast inspires as much fear in me as any other... and indeed I would feel great trepidation of my trust was only in my own providence. My trust is in the Mayaheine, and though this beast be great, in her is the strength to succeed this day."

All who looked upon her could see a flash in her eyes. She was a saved soul, a true believer. It was the sort of thing that could give hope, for how could one dismiss the aid of the gods? On the other hand, the zeal of religious types was known to be hazardous on occasion. Only time would tell them if Morgaine's confidence in her patron was well-founded.

"Lo! The great beast approaches. Gods, look at the size of it!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kerner looks at the creature a long while, and then hitches himself higher upon his horse. His smile is grim as he turns to the cleric and remarks,"Mayaheine's trust in you may soon be tested, mi' lady. We may well hope that you emerge as one of Her chosen." With that Kerner broke ahead of the group, leading the march into their doom come hell or high water.

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "Sorry buddy, but i know where we are going, and i dont think you do. We are going to go up the other side of the box, not into it. When we get close to the edge I will create an illusion over the edge of something tasty and then we break. By the time it gets to the tasty thing it will have fallen in. And then it will have goblins to snack on" He pushes forward a touch in front of Kerner "Unless you have a better plan and know where we are going?"

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "I don't trust my life to magics, Gregory," Kerner said coldly. But the elf was right; Kerner didn't know the lay of this land as well as the others, and had let anticipation cloud his judgement. Checking his tone, he continued. "I am anxious to get on with this task. If you have a plan and are riding out to meet the beast, I ride alongside you."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You are given light warhorses by Elias, and prepare to head out. As you do so, you can already see the militiamen going door to door, evacuating the people of Krestible and getting ready to flee to Schwartzbruin should you fail.

A few people do happen to notice that as you are leaving town, you are head towards the beast's roaring, rather than away from it. Some look up at you in awe. Some say a short prayer for you. One woman, a mother with two young children, calls out words of praise to you, calling upon blessings of the Old Kerk to guide you.

You leave Krestible, heading down a country road to the Kolstein homestead. Along the way, you encounter the Kolsteins themselves, hurried along the road to Krestible with their simple cart. Josef, the patriarch of the family, takes a moment to tell you that the beast now feeds upon his flock, that its hunger is insatiable, and the Gods help you if the thing catches up to you.

You could see the creature from over a mile away, but it was only as you got closer to the Kolstein ranch that you truly could behold the Tarrasque.

Nearly a hundred feet long from head to tail, and fifty feet high at the shoulder, you have seen no creature larger or more fearsome than this horrific beast before you.

For now, it dines on hapless fleeing sheep, who scatter uselessly about the Kolstein's field.

You will likely need to get its attention before it will persue you.

Down from the farmhouse, you can see where the small country road will lead you eventually to the goblin's box canyon. Were it not for Gregory knowing the way, it would be difficult to find in this dark and stormy night.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Morgaine slowed her horse so that she might load her crossbow.

"Well, lads," she said as she pulled back the string, "I'm afraid that in this case, I can't do much more than bait the creature with a crossbow bolt... perhaps one of you is more talented in these matters?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    "I can do the same thing that will hopefully get the beast over the edge, i hope you all are ready to run". Gregory reaches into a pouch at his side and holds something while his left hand makes an arcane gesture "Tal noth" he says with a great inflection.

He points the fingers of his left hand at the rest of the party, one for each and whispers under his breath "I hope you folks are ready to ride" can easily be heard in the minds of all pointed at despite the din going on around them. Then he took his right hand out of the pouch and pointed at the beast "Over here you great big son of a bitch!"
    Mesage, and im assuming the best is within about 110 feet, if not i wont cast until it is

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You have taunted a creature that gods fear.

It has turned its gaze upon you. Its roar echoes into the night. It shakes you, the sheer volume of it. This beast, this profane abomination that seeks only to destroy, has been alerted to your existence, and right at this moment you seem to be a more appealing meal than it was previously feasting on.

Gods have mercy on all of you.

Alright, people, let's get some Initiative rolls here.
    The Tarrasque - 25

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Morgaine readied her crossbow in one hand as she held the horse's reins in the other... a chill ran down her spine as the monstrosity let out a deafening roar... she hoped her horse was fast enough.
    Initiative (1d20+1=3)

Fucking hell.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kerner stared unblinking at the approaching behemoth. His resolve wavered, but he feebly tried to assure himself that he had been through worse than this, and readied his hands on the reins.

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gregory reacts slower than normal, even with the booze. "Damn, why pick a time like this to not pay attention!" he thought as he turned his steed away from the beast and towards the hills.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Truck the Robust was a brave dwarven warrior.

Perhaps not the most liked fellow. Abrasive, rude, even savage in some respects, but one could always respect Truck's bravery, and the strength and vigor with which he threw himself into battle.

His future was one that had heroism on the horizon. A new life was dawning for the dwarven barbarian.

However, on a stormwracked autumn night Truck the Robust, his horse, and six feet of the ground underneath the pair of them were swallowed in a single motion by a beast known only as the Tarrasque.

He never had a chance to call out. No last words. No last ditch attempt at heroism. The beast charged, swooped, and gulped him down before his newfound companions could react.

Now the beast was upon them, and they could feel the heat of its breath.

Not many options face any man in such a place.
    Tarrasque - 25
    Kerner - 19
    Gregory - 11
    Morgaine - 3

Kerner's turn next, Paku. The Tarrasque is 20 feet away, at the edge of its reach. Leaving its threatened squares would normally provoke Attacks of Opportunity, but due to the beast's post-hibernation stupor, it is making no AoO's this round.

So you might want to run.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The minute Truck the Robust was devoured, Kerner's optismism dissolved. The whole situation had gotten deadly serious, and he had to fight hard to keep down the feelings of anxiety which now threatened to overwhelm him. Cracking expertly on the reins and turning away from the monster, he finds his voice piping out to his remaining companions, "Fly, now, GO."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gregory needed no motivational speech this day. Johnathan Hardinay's Books on Wand series"15 easy steps to Healty Hermitage: Learning from the Bonzai Tree Keeper", was not not needed. He kicked his heels into the horses flank, lowered his head beside the horses and held on tight. With one hand pointed towards the hill leading up to the cavern so the horse could see it as he directed the beast with his knees he whispred "this way, you big son of a bitch"
    Use the previous Ride result of 10 unless you need another roll[its a +4 mod, untrained].

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It would be time to pay respect to the dead later... Morgaine said a silent prayer and spurred her horse onward as fast as it could run, without turning to look back.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg