As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deep Rock Galactic.... Space Dwarves!

MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
edited March 2018 in Games and Technology
A 1-4 player co-op game wherein you play as part of a crew of Dwarves shot from space in a drill-headed dropship into the procedurally generated, Bug filled caverns of a hostile world, in search of resources and credits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTWmKFuMZ8

There are four classes: The Gunner, the Driller, the Scout and the Engineer. Each with their own guns and gadgets that help them and their team navigate terrain and fight.

Your missions consist of gathering a specific type of resource (as well as a second resource you can gather to get a bonus). Along the way there are resources like Nitra that will allow you to call in supply drops and Gold that will give you extra credits on mission completion. You'll be accosted by waves of various face eating Bug monsters that don't take kindly to dwarfy types messing around in their nice caverns.

The caverns themselves are completely destructible, allowing you freedom to mine your way up slopes and around drops.

Between missions you can use the credits and resources you obtain to upgrade the various classes gear, as well as buying vanity items to change your looks.

It's currently Early Access, but so far I've been having a lot of fun with it and there seem to be a decent number of people to play with. You can play the missions solo, and you get a little hovering robo pal to help you out but I haven't spent much time doing that myself. It's out for Steam and Xbox currently.

Steam Page

Metallikat on

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I am planning to buy this within the next week. Are there people here who would

1) Want to play together? And, optionally,
    2) be OK with me streaming it on Twitch?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Loving this game, its like if the original Red Faction had a baby with Left4Dead.

Been playing a lot of Engineer as those turrets are super good and the platform gun is amazing.
    feels more polished at this really early stage of early access than a lot of finished games.

Rock and Stone brothers!

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Got this for my son and I tonight but died on our first two missions lol. Seemed to be a lot of fun though.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited March 2018
    most missions are manageable, but when things go wrong they seem to go REALLY wrong.

starting out you want to stick to 1 complexity maps and maybe drop the difficulty down to the 25% bonus until you get a handle on your tools.
    if you collect 80 Nitra and then press 5, you can call down an ammo resupply that has 4 charges of 50% ammo (this will recharge your consumables such as ziplines or platform foam as well)

if you are 2 manning it then Engineer and either Gunner or Scout makes a very solid team. Engineer can drop platforms that the other can either zipline or grapple to for high up mining.
    You also always want to be thinking about getting back. leave paths or steps so you can retrace your steps once you complete your quota and have to do the mad dash back to the drop pod.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm super into this game, add me on steam if we're not already friends and hit me up if you see me online.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Oh hey there's already a thread for this, saves me having to make one. I would be down for some PA groupups.

:edit: things the OP fails to mention: Beard Customization.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    yes, and it is glorious.....
    grW1Ihb.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Yeah, haven't gotten much into the customization stuff yet. Spending my resources and cash on item upgrades first!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

Yes. A buddy shot this my way for my birthday Saturday since we'd been looking at it off and on all week and going "Yeah, that seems good..."

We gave the multiplayer a shot and it was a pretty good time; I enjoyed Driller even though I think it's a little weak.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

todays patch lets you shoot while being grabbed by those roof-tentacles, this is a massive quality of life change for solo-play

steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Yes. A buddy shot this my way for my birthday Saturday since we'd been looking at it off and on all week and going "Yeah, that seems good..."

We gave the multiplayer a shot and it was a pretty good time; I enjoyed Driller even though I think it's a little weak.

I got the 5k credits from joining the steam group, blew it all on driller because "Oh that has to be important". Driller actually seems kinda not important at all, but ive gone too far and im 100% driller4life now.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I'm at a point where I've got most upgrades on everyone, I just can't be arsed to actively stick to the zones with resources I need. In any event, shall we attempt some group dorf today?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

I got the 5k credits from joining the steam group, blew it all on driller because "Oh that has to be important". Driller actually seems kinda not important at all, but ive gone too far and im 100% driller4life now.

It's just that drilling is kind of less effective for getting around than, like, everything else. The flamethrower is pretty rad.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

The drill is great for those times when you get lost so you just straightline it to the drop pod waypoint. Can also be handy on those vertical chasms which'd otherwise eat up basically all your ziplines to make it down.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Do we have a steam group for this?

Don't think anyone's made one yet, but it'd definitely help organize runs. Of course, there's an important question to be had, do we go for the traditional wang somewhere in the name or keep this one kid friendly?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Doing a LAN party this weekend.

I predict lots of beards.

We'll also play this heyooooo

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Don't think anyone's made one yet, but it'd definitely help organize runs. Of course, there's an important question to be had, do we go for the traditional wang somewhere in the name or keep this one kid friendly?

Wildcat Asteroid Native Group?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I mean "Deep Wang Galactic" is charming in its simplicity.

And yeah, I'll probably grab this Friday and try to group up with some of you fine folks this weekend. I've been looking forward to it for a long-ass time.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to create a Steam Group, let me know and I'll post the info in the OP.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm not sold on this just yet but I am definitely interested and paying attention to it

I think discord has taken over almost every need for a steam group. If you want a channel for DRG we can usually make one on the discord and just use that to see who is playing and chat about it, etc.

n1woEHJ.png
    Driller got some buffs today on his flamethrower and drills. Also you now get at least some of your harvested crafting resources on a failed mission now.

Bought'd. Anybody down for a run tonight?

Decent day of dorfing here, finished off my noncosmetic buys, still working on getting scout and engie up to 20. We still need to come up with a good way to try and organize some groups, unless that's been happening without me.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Hey.

This game is rad.

rRwz9.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    We did a LAN party last weekend and planned to play this but ended up playing nothing but Warframe. Oh well, I hope there will be more time for beards and capitalism soon.

I get home at 10:30ish central time, tonight. Does anybody want to form up a posse? I haven't gotten to play this yet because solo seems like it misses the point of the game.

I get home at 10:30ish central time, tonight. Does anybody want to form up a posse? I haven't gotten to play this yet because solo seems like it misses the point of the game.

I'll try and catch you for some on the Discord channel but I have board game stuff going on.

Should be around most of the weekend, though. The driller buffs were Good and made me feel much less useless as one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Today I've got tabletop so I can't game, but weekend is open.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I can play tonight / this weekend. Hit me up here / discord / steam youses.

Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Hey.

This game is rad.

Would you perhaps even say it... rocks?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Hey.

This game is rad.

Would you perhaps even say it... rocks?

i see you had to dig deep for this one

rRwz9.gif
    A friend was streaming some DRG, and they made it to the escape pod. Even that doesnt guarantee escape though..

https://clips.twitch.tv/VastBumblingSandwichSoonerLater

n1woEHJ.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    That's really good, the mines didn't let that dwarf go.

I also didn't really get to play much this weekend, only got a few games in. The escape is always hectic no matter how prepared you feel when you press the button.

...are there 5 dwarves in that twitch clip? What sorcery is this.

Did some mining Friday and got to experience the new flying guys, as well as join one game in the middle of a turbo-f'd extraction and save the day as the Gunner.

The flying bugs are a real hassle and, true to form for flies, super distracting. They don't seem that dangerous but they do soak up a lot of ammo to get rid of, which isn't awesome.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

This just had a pretty decent sized update. Gonna have to talk my roommate into picking it up.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Oh hey there is a thread for this. I've been having a bunch of fun and they just came out with the Explosive Update

Update Notes
    UPDATE 24 - EXPLOSIVE EXPANSION
    MAY 15 @ 6:52AM - GSG_JACOB

Take your seats, Miners!
    We got new grenades, eye candy, personal drop pods, a bunch of new enemies, and a TON of gear tweaks to brief you about, so grab a brew and listen up!

Also - look out for the [COMMUNITY REQUESTS] - these are things you guys have been very adamant in talking about and bringing to our notice, so keep up the good work! It is, as always, very appreciated. :D

--- PATCH NOTES ---
    GRENADE LOADOUT
    The boys and gals in R&D have been hard at work once more! All the old grenades have been reworked, and a ton of new ones have been added. Each class can now unlock up to three distinct types of class-specific throwables, with the potential for more to come in future Updates.
    - Engineer: L.U.R.E, Plasma Burster, Proximity Mine
    - Gunner: Sticky Grenade, Incendiary Grenade, Cluster Grenade
    - Scout: IFG, Cryo Grenade, Pheromone Canister
    - Driller: Impact Axe, HE Grenade, Neurotoxin Grenade

LOADING SCREEN MAKEOVER
    We’ve finally gotten our new orbital drone cameras installed, enabling much better and varied scenic views of mining crews descending to the surface of Hoxxes at the beginning of each mission.

END SCREEN MAKEOVER
    The End Screen shown at the end of each mission has gotten a much-needed overhaul as well. Now you get to pose and display all your lovely cosmetics in full 3D while the mission data ticks up!

STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS
    They’ve been a long time coming, but they’re finally here! 50+ Steam Achievements have been added to the game, ready to be unlocked! We’ve strived to make them retroactive anywhere it made sense.

NEW MOBS
    NAEDOCYTE BREEDER
    Imagine a floating bag of slime, constantly spewing out pulsing egg-sacks full of ravenous young. They may look like gentle giants (depending on how much you like tentacles), but trust us when we say you want to take these oozing blimps out quick.

NAEDOCYTE HATCHLING
    The result of leaving the Naedocyte Breeders to do their thing. We’ve run into more developed varieties of these before, but this is the first time we’ve ever encountered them in their larval state. They are hatched ravenously hungry, so mind yourselves that you don’t get overrun.

Q’RONAR YOUNGLINGS
    Younger and softer variation of the Shellbacks. Unlike their more solitary-minded mature state, the Q’ronar Younglings hunt in packs. Do not underestimate them.

GOLDEN LOOTBUG
    Now, this is an interesting one. Unlike the common Lootbug, this particular breed gorge themselves on gold alone. Management has no qualms with employees taking them out for sport and personal gain.

HUULI HOARDER
    This rare beastie seems like a bit of an oddity among the otherwise mostly hostile Hoxxes fauna. Often referred to as “The Clown Car”, the Huuli Hoarder is an abject coward and will run away from any potential threat once startled. However, like the common Lootbug, they subside solely on a diet of precious minerals - as in, taking them out will net you a tidy profit, just take care that you don’t let it separate you from your team.

LATE JOIN DROP POD
    [COMMUNITY REQUEST] Let it not be said that Management does not care about employee complaints. Joining a mission already in progress now dumps you into a personal drop pod, letting you safely land in the mission area instead of utilizing the horribly unreliable teleportation technology used so far. As with the Supply Pod, it is recommended to keep a safe distance to the landing zone.

BETTER DISCORD INTEGRATION
    Sign up for the Miner’s Union and join our wonderful Discord community directly from the Space Rig! We have bigger plans for this down the line, but for now, you can use it to see the number of active members and such.

MISSIONS AND ASSIGNMENTS
    - [COMMUNITY REQUEST] The Mission Map now displays Assignment Icons for every team member, making it easier to choose which missions to go on.
    - [COMMUNITY REQUEST] The Hazard 5 Unlock Assignment now requires you to play the associated missions on Hazard 4 difficulty
    - [COMMUNITY REQUEST] Dwarves leaving a game will now drop a resource pouch with any materials they had in their inventory
    - [COMMUNITY REQUEST] Added an option to opt Bosco out of solo missions at the Drone Modification Terminal

UI AND CONTROLS
    - Personal Temperature HUD overhaul
    - [COMMUNITY REQUEST] Added option to disable Mouse Smoothing
    - Improved gear stats display in the Equipment Terminal

PICKAXE POWER ATTACK
    Surrounded by awful bitey things? Let them know how you feel about that! While having your pick out, hit Fire to unleash a devastating Power Attack. There’s a cooldown on it, so spend it wisely.

MODELS AND AUDIO
    - New Heavy Sentry model for Engineers
    - New Sentry models for the Minehead
    - New Floodlight models for the Minehead
    - Several new enemy and weapon sounds
    - New Hoxxes model shown on Space Rig

GEAR TWEAKS
    PICKAXE
    - Fixed the Q-mining exploit

"THUNDERHEAD" HEAVY AUTOCANNON
    - Fixed a bug with Autocannon fire rate not resetting
    - Fixed Autocannon lighter barrel assembly mod
    - Tweaked Autocannon fire rate to increase in a more linear manner
    - Removed Stun mod

"LEAD STORM” POWERED MINIGUN
    - Decreased Stun mod chance
    - Decreased Stun duration
    - Fixed Aggressive Venting modification to properly function as client

DEEPCORE GK2
    - Renamed Stagger to Stun
    - Gear stats now display the weapon's stun on weak point hit functionality correctly

EXPERIMENTAL PLASMA CHARGER
    - Renamed Normal Shots Bounce mod to Bouncy Plasma
    - Renamed Charged Projectile Explodes mod to Unstable Containment Field
    - Increased Radius and Damage of Unstable Containment Field implosion
    - Fixed some EPC shots doing "generic" damage

“BULLDOG” HEAVY REVOLVER
    - Removed Stun Mod (anyone who purchased it will get a refund)
    - Added stun chance as an inherent property of the gun

JURY-RIGGED BOOMSTICK
    - Stun Mod proc chance increased
    - Tungsten Pellets Mod armor damage multiplier increased
    - Blast Wave description made more clear (hopefully)
    - Blowthrough Mod changed to Super Blowthrough (can penetrate multiple targets)
    - Fixed Blast Wave mod to work consistently

ZHUKOV NUK17
    - Removed the Stun mod (anyone who purchased it will get a refund)
    - Rearranged some of the other mods to better balance the potential builds
    - Increased the accuracy penalty while moving
    - Increased the speed with which accuracy is regained
    - Decreased accuracy spread when shooting
    - Increased Tier 4 Expanded Ammo Bags mod from +100 to +150 ammo

M1000 CLASSIC
    - Added a tutorial hint for Focused Shot
    - Fixed Stun modification to work properly

BREACH CUTTER
    - Fixed the Breach Cutter so it no longer damages the player if fired directly downwards

MISC TWEAKS
    - Deeptora Honeycomb is no longer immune to fire
    - Glyphid Praetorian acid gas can now be lit on fire again
    - Fixed cases of mission weapon assignment completed not being counted correctly
    - Fixed some invisible colliders in levels displaying as ‘Unknown Material’
    - Credits pages now change properly
    - Fixed a bug that caused a floating Shield Generator or Satchel Charge to appear at the - location of the spawn point
    - Fixed some bugs related to saluting while reloading
    - Fixed certain armors that caused the player’s arms to be invisible at the beginning of a mission
    - Fixed the revive progress bar so it no longer stays on the screen if another player starts and cancels the revive process
    - [MIXER Interactivity] Resupplying Ammo now works
    - Super Blowthrough modifications changed from 10 penetrations to 3 for all weapons that have them
    - Added a failsafe for Shield Generators that fail to deploy

Loving the axe grenade on the driller, chuck it into a praetorian and just chunks the health down.

Busy unlocking weapons and leveling up my various miners, really come to respect each of their strengths with Scout and Driller becoming my favs.

I thought I was gaining too many credits for a bit but I gleefully spend it like candy so I still have plenty of items and customizables left to unlock.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Double post but for another hotfix though more for balance

Hotfix notes
    Attention Miners!

While you impatiently wait for Update 25 to bring the Endgame to Hoxxes IV, we have decided to give you a little bonus hotfix. We’ve been doing more hotfixes than usual to keep you sated, and this one has a little extra something to keep you busy.

First of all, we have given the gunner a little love in regards to balance, as per request from the community.

The Minigun has gotten some much-needed punch, including both base damage and adjustment of mods. The Autocannon also got an overhaul, although not as significant as the Minigun.

Other weapon tweaks are counting the Boomstick, the Auto 210b, and the Voltaic SMG.

For those of you who like to work the long nightshifts with Bosco as a helping hand, we’ve upgraded the drone algorithm, allowing him to retrieve gems and other objects from afar. However charming that is, please do not spend too much time playing fetch with company property. You’re on the clock.

Q'ronar Shellbacks have had their diet modified and their armor should now be less durable. Their Younglings should also appear less frequent. Hopefully, this will reduce the amount of deadly pinballing in the narrow caverns. The bug causing muffled sound for the entire game has also been squashed.

FULL HOTFIX 7 NOTES
    Bosco can now dig out and carry objects!
    Q'ronar Youngling encounters should be a bit more rare.
    Q’ronar Shellback’s armor is significantly weaker. Most weapons will be able to break it in a few shots. Weapons with armor breaking capabilities will still excel at it.
    Tweaked the rolling animation of the Qronar enemies to resolve unintended jerkiness
    Changed material on the weakpoint of the Glyphid Menace, when it dies so it does not light up dead
    Fixed a bug with sounds becoming muffled for the remainder of a mission after getting hit by a rolling Q’ronar enemy
    Glyphid Praetorian backside is again considered a weakpoint but does not give any damage bonus on its own
    Fixed a bug with the Mission Assignment icon not showing in the Mission Terminal
    Fixed a bug with clients being required to open the map in order for the host to be able to see their Mission Assignment
    Increased attenuation distance for sound and camshake when digging out eggs
    Fixed a bug with the Terrain Scanner getting stuck
    Fixed cases where you would switch weapons after mining and using the Terrain Scanner

Weapon Balance Tweaks
    We are constantly tweaking and balancing the weapons based on player feedback and our own testing, and quite a few tweaks are coming in this hotfix. Since the weapons are currently a living system that is still growing and evolving, there will certainly be more tweaks in the future, especially with the upcoming addition of the overclocks in the next update. Your feedback has been invaluable in this process so please, keep it coming.

Minigun
    The minigun has been suffering, especially in high hazard missions, so we’ve made a few changes to address this.
    Increased base damage
    Increased value of the Lighter Barrel Assembly mod to allow for more a more responsive gun build
    Increased value of Magnetic Bearings mod to better balance against the rest
    Increased slightly how long you can shoot before overheating to help against larger swarms
    Increased value of Magnetic Refrigeration mod to better balance it against competing options
    To better balance it against the other choices the Aggressive Venting mod will now also cause enemies to flee
    Stun is now a default function of the Minigun to help gunners stand their ground, we are also working on improving the stun system in general for the next update.
    Changed the Stun mod to a Stun Duration mod since stun is now built-in

Auto 210
    Some of the mods for this gun have not been able to hold their own so we’ve done some changes to better balance the whole weapon and prepare it for the upcoming overclocks.
    Tweaked the crosshair to look a bit more balanced and moved hit confirmation to the inner markers
    Shortened base stun duration
    Increased base stun chance
    Stunning a creature now requires a weakpoint hit
    Replaced the Stun mod with a Stun Duration mod
    Decreased the bonus of the Overstuffed Magazine mod
    Increased power of Choke mod
    Swapped places of the Choke and High Capacity Magazine mods
    Increased base pellet count to compensate for the mod rearrangement

Boomstick
    This has been another weapon that needed an overall balance shift to make the mod choices more relevant and interesting.
    Increased the rate of fire bonus from Double Trigger Mod so it feels smoother, also rephrased the description a bit
    Decreased effect of the Bigger Pellets mod to better balance against the Expanded Ammo Bags mod
    Increased base damage to compensate for the Bigger Pellets mod tweak
    The Boomstick now has a base chance to stun targets
    Increased the power of the Stun mod to better balance it against the competition
    Increased effect of 3rd row Expanded Ammo Bags Mod to better balance against the High Capacity Shells mod

Autocannon
    The Gunner’s Autocannon also needed a little love, though not nearly as much as the minigun.
    Increased value of Damage Reduction Mod so that just like with the minigun, players can better stand their ground against a swarm.
    Increased base splash damage range to help the gun deal with large swarms
    Removed friendly-fire from splash damage so you can safely fire into the fray and not hurt yourself when shooting enemies at point blank range.

Voltaic SMG
    This little powerhouse had a crazy build hiding in it, those mods responsible have been reigned-in to better compare to the Auto 210 while others got a needed boost.
    Fixed the Electrocution Bonus mod (it used to give a 120% damage bonus which was crazy) now it does 30% just like the NUK17s.
    Renamed the Electrocution Bonus mod to Conductive Bullets since the two mods were identical in function.
    Adjusted the values of Increased Caliber and High Velocity Rounds to better balance against the other mods and other weapons.
    Increased the value of the Improved Gas System mod to make it more relevant
    Swapped places of the second Expanded Ammo Bags mod and the Improved Gas System mod
    Increased the range of the Electric Arc mod as it was too short

Other Weapon Tweaks
    Increased damage done by the Gunner’s Sticky Grenade to the creature it is stuck on as it felt a bit meh before.
    Decreased the damage bonus of the Defender mod for the LMG Gun Platform as it has turned out to be too powerful.

Bosco can now carry things to you making soloing an even better experience.