As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Hierarchy

2»

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    All of my usernames have been pretty generic, I just stuck with this one because it's the last one I went with and decided I was too lazy to remember any more.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Can I just say that "In truth, there is no present at all; we live in the heat and pressure of the past grinding against the future. " is really great, and I wish Tycho would become a household name so I could use it in public and not sound like a douchebag.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I find great irony in the fact that people at 35 think they are so old they just can't possibly understand what the "kids" are in to these days. As if competition hasn't been a part of the human spirit since we decided to walk upright and it's just completely unknowable why these young whippersnappers would be in to that now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Jacob SingerJacob Singer Registered User regular
    56-year-old gamer here, laughing at the 35-year-olds who feel "out of it".

• Options
    YeOldeWizardYeOldeWizard Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Linktm wrote: »
    I will never tire of stories about Gabe's kid not caring that his father basically owns a large and massively influential gaming empire.

EDIT: I can also only assume "Ninja" is a name this streamer picked when he was like 12 and stuck with it ever since (says the guy whose online handle is Link.)

I mean, I was ~14 and Ken Penders was writing a comicbook about Knuckles the Echidna when I first started using H3Knuckles on websites, so kind of in the same boat. Just, you'd think a streamer would want something that would be more unique.
    v62lyuxo5emj.jpg

Most streamers don't start off knowing they are going to big streamers. And once you have an audience no sense in changing your name. They are still using the name that all of their online friends know them with as well.

Exactly. I imagine a large portion of their fanbase would freak out if they tried to change their name after getting popular, because it's part of their *identity*. You'd need a really good reason to put up with the inevitable backlash.

In a related example, I happened to discover a certain youtube channel before it exploded in popularity and got to see them make a few changes to their presentation once they did, namely making a new intro (the original was 1min long). Years later, there are *still* old fans whining and ranting in the comments for them to bring the original intro back.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    dimofodi wrote: »
    While some of this is fairly accurate, it's quite misguiding at the same time. Ninja broke the record for single streamer subscribers on Twitch long before Drake was involved in anything. He was expanding rapidly as no streamer ever had. He still is growing. He does date back to Halo 2/3 competitive tournament player. His Twitch started to grow with H1Z1 and PUBG because Twitch wasn't very popular during the good days of Halo. He switched games and essentially blew up due to outstanding gameplay, entertaining antics on stream that don't push the boundaries at all, interacts with his chat when he can (which has become difficult due to the fact roughly 70-100k+ people watch him at any given time and so on). The only thing noticing Drake followed him led to, was him and Drake playing together and breaking the concurrent viewer record for a single broadcaster on Twitch. He had previously played with JuJu Schuster-Smith of the Pittsburgh Steelers before as well. He has mainstream media attention now due to Drake yes but he definitely didn't explode just because Drake followed him.

Donnicton wrote: »
    ViRGE wrote: »
    Alright, I'm officially getting old.

Who is Ninja, and why should I know about him?

He's been around a lot longer than can simply be chalked up to age, though in relative obscurity until now so I don't fault anyone for not knowing - I don't watch him either but I happen to know of his history.

He was apparently a competitive Halo 2/3 player way back when that was relevant, but eventually got his real break streaming "battle royale" games, starting with H1Z1(occasionally teaming with other popular streamers like Summit) and becoming progressively more popular as he moved on to PUBG and eventually Fortnite. His popularity exploded the other day when it was noticed that Drake followed him on Instagram, and that connection somehow eventually led to Drake making an appearance on his stream.

I'll have to acquiesce to your knowledge of the man given you were seemingly compelled to create a brand new account to so vehemently promote his history. I only have a passing awareness of him as a more general viewer of Twitch streams.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I managed to know about something (Ninja) almost 24hours before it hit the public zeitgeist.
    Cool Beans, I'm not as old as I thought I was.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I just... Listen, I am perfectly aware that I am like the last person who should be throwing shade regarding shitty usernames (well, besides the tools who pick offensive ones), but "Ninja" really seems like a poor choice for a professional to build a brand identity around. It's just so generic and lacking any specific identifier.

So many YouTube people have some random crap as their username, usually an anime character and a bunch of numbers. Brand awareness was probably not their biggest concern when they first signed up 12 years ago.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    EDIT: Oh you're talking about some Twitch personality and not ninjas. Well, I feel dumb.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Being "with it" is overrated.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Before more comments about how bad the name 'Ninja' is, remember the first famous competitive FPS guy went by Thresh.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Ninja is a GREAT username. N1nja66 is a shitty one.

• Options
    iamnamelessiamnameless Registered User regular
    Thought you mean the guy from die antwoord

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Ninja? The dude from Die Antwoord? You know him??
    Ninja as in the singer from Die Antwoord?
    Thought you mean the guy from die antwoord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wu598ENenk

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular

Was hoping someone here was older than me lol.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

And fleeting. Just ask Abe Simpson.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I managed to know about something (Ninja) almost 24hours before it hit the public zeitgeist.

You will be.

You WILL be.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

You will be.

You WILL be.

But what if when he gets to be as old as he currently thinks he is, he'll think he's older?

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Indeed. Though you're probably pretty old if you even know what that reference means. For those of you without a foot already in the grave, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options

Indeed. Though you're probably pretty old if you even know what that reference means. For those of you without a foot already in the grave, here you go:

EXACTLY. That episode aired in 1996, which makes it 22 years old. Adult Homer wanted to tour with Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth. Due to the unchanging ages of characters in the show, if that episode aired today young Homer and Barney would have been portrayed as listening to the music of the 90s. In other words, Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

EXACTLY. That episode aired in 1996, which makes it 22 years old. Adult Homer wanted to tour with Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth. Due to the unchanging ages of characters in the show, if that episode aired today young Homer and Barney would have been portrayed as listening to the music of the 90s. In other words, Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth.

Hell, they made an episode that did just that! It aired a decade ago.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options

Go on...

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Pong was PvP and had no storyline, so I'm not sure where people are getting their "games used to be novels but now they're competitions" from.

• Options

Go on...

I think he means "That 90's Show", it's an episode about Marge and Homers life after high school, and takes place in the mid 90's, with Homer becoming the singer of a Nirvana parody. It lampshades the sliding timescale of the show, with Bart and Lisa stating they had never heard of the 90's because they'd have been born in the 2000's when the episode aired.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    Pong was PvP and had no storyline, so I'm not sure where people are getting their "games used to be novels but now they're competitions" from.

Personally, I just don't get the fun in watching other people compete, so I know basically none of these famous streamers.

But then, I always thought that of football, too. Playing football? Fun. Watching other people play football? Why would I do that. But people seem to love it enough to stab each other in the street for it, so clearly there's something there for a lot of people!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I find great irony in the fact that people at 35 think they are so old they just can't possibly understand what the "kids" are in to these days. As if competition hasn't been a part of the human spirit since we decided to walk upright and it's just completely unknowable why these young whippersnappers would be in to that now.

Yea I don't know why people are always blaming it on age(especially people in their 30s)

It has nothing to do with that. It's just you. Not your age.

• Options
    The SiegeThe Siege Game Developer Oakland CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You mostly just overestimate how broad a young person's knowledge really is. They have specific and limited interests just like adults do. Did you actually see /every/ big movie, video game, song, concert, fashion trend etc that was going on when you were a teenager? No, no one does. Nothing has a market penetration anywhere close to 100%. Relax.

Cards and Castles - CCG meets Tactics! Coming soon to Steam: http://www.cardsandcastles.com/main/

I am also known as Vontre.
  • Options

Yea I don't know why people are always blaming it on age(especially people in their 30s)

It doesnt really help that modern culture puts even more emphasis on youth than before, which was already pretty bad by the 80's. Once you're over 25, you start to feel like you're ready for the grave.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

It doesnt really help that modern culture puts even more emphasis on youth than before, which was already pretty bad by the 80's. Once you're over 25, you start to feel like you're ready for the grave.

I dunno, is it really more than before?

I'm 30 and I don't feel old or any different than being in my 20s.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    @DRASCIN same here. I just never found watching sports interesting in the slightest. I'll support the team but I'd rather do something productive than watch someone else do things.

And thanks to the comment section the cliffnotes version of what this is about is some guy who streams on twitch. Ok?

shadowysea07 on