As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, and I bring that up because it's prime negotiation fodder even if you don't go through with it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Ok thanks for your help. It’s probably not a big deal.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Lol our agent just suggested we write a letter to the seller talking about why we love the house and why we want it and why we think they should take our offer.

Fucking ... I'm trying to give you +$175k and you're all "but what about the essay question?"

I have never once written a cover letter for a job application. But I'm damn sure about to write one for a house.

It's a nice house y'all

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Lol our agent just suggested we write a letter to the seller talking about why we love the house and why we want it and why we think they should take our offer.

Fucking ... I'm trying to give you +$175k and you're all "but what about the essay question?"

I have never once written a cover letter for a job application. But I'm damn sure about to write one for a house.

It's a nice house y'all

Get some crayons and draw a picture.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tox wrote: »

It's a nice house y'all
    Dogg don’t sleep on this. Roll your eyes all you want but this is legit good advice.

We bought our place from a family that grew up here and appealed to that aspect, talked about how I always wanted a workshop garage and we loved tending to the garden that their father obviously put so much love into, and how excited we were about having room to raise our family (even though we’re not planning on having kids at the moment, but omitted that part) in a house that had such an obvious history of raising kids in.

We beat out two offers for more money, including one that was cash, with that letter.

Get up on it.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also you’ve never had to write a cover letter?

Dang, I’m sick of writing those things.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Nah I've been pretty lucky on that front. And don't worry, we are gonna do it. Just one more thing for me to complain about in the meantime :P

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My coworker had one of those letters from the people buying their house. Saying how they were a new family, really loved the area, were excited to raise their children there and establish roots.

Turned out it was all bullshit they were chinese investment buyers (like not even residents of this country) who backed out of the sale because our skyrocketing housing market hit a ceiling. My coworker kept their deposit but was still in a tight spot because he now owned two homes and had to go through the whole process of selling his house again.

Personally; i say write the letter. However when i sell my home i will throw any letter given to me right in the trash.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah that whole letter thing would just come across as creepy as fuck here in Australia. I'm glad it worked out for you and your wife, Rank, but it would be SO FAR beyond the pale here the letter recipient would probably be a bit freaked out.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Our back yard is superfucked

DW2zrVi.jpg

At least the lemon tree is looking good

NjmoxFI.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Gimme all the lemons!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Actually I'd say that lemon tree could do with a good prune back after it finishes fruiting to encourage growth, it's kinda packed in tight as it is. As for that other ground cover and weeds, just turn the soil over and chop it up with a spade, that'll really put a damper on what's there growing back.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So the missus and I are thinking about taking the dive into home ownership...but we have no idea where to start. Should we talk to a bank? A realtor? A third party mortgage company? A loan officer? We're so overwhelmed

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah that whole letter thing would just come across as creepy as fuck here in Australia. I'm glad it worked out for you and your wife, Rank, but it would be SO FAR beyond the pale here the letter recipient would probably be a bit freaked out.

yeah ... on the one hand, i guess it would be nice to know that if we sold the family house the people who took it would like, take care of the garden? OTOH who the fuck are you people why are you trying to emotionally manipulate me into selling you shit jesus.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So the missus and I are thinking about taking the dive into home ownership...but we have no idea where to start. Should we talk to a bank? A realtor? A third party mortgage company? A loan officer? We're so overwhelmed

I started with a realtor. Several, actually. Eventually we settled with the Redfin one who was great. She then referred us to a private mortgage firm who was equally awesome.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

I'd start with Redfin.com, they pull from the national lists of homes for sale, so you can see what's on sale in your area and for how much. Then I'd look at your finances and maybe an online mortgage calculator. Get some lose info and see if you guys feel like those numbers make sense for yourselves.

Then, go to the bank and see about a preapproval. It lends strength to your offers if you show you can seriously back your offer. After that, then get a realtor.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    ALSO HERE HAVE SOME DIABETES
    Dear (seller)Family,
    We are Mr and Mrs Tox. We wanted to take a moment to thank you for considering
    our offer and discuss why we think your home is perfect for us. We fell in love with this home from
    the moment we stepped inside. This home has the perfect amount of space for us to expand our
    family which is a year end goal for us.
    Why This Is Our Dream Home? The house is spacious and inviting and yet cozy at the
    same time. We have always wanted a place for an herb and flower garden and this home has the
    foundations with plenty of room to expand thanks to the natural aestetic of the backyard. We love
    that the kitchen is roomy with plenty of space for cooking and baking and the natural lighting
    throughout the home highlights the beauty of the property. All of this comes together to make a
    perfect fit for the home we want to raise our family in.
    Our family started nearly 12 years ago when we met and fell in love. We have been married almost
    3 years and are hoping that this will be our first house. We love animals and have 3 furry children.
    [REDACTED: Yes, I know, this was some personal shit I was totally fine telling some other strangers...]
    Thank you again for taking your time to consider our offer. We hope that wherever your
    lives are taking you that your memories in this home will be as fond as the memories that we hope
    to make there.
    Sincerely,

Us

*gaaaaaaaags*

Tox on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My realtor suggested a letter as well, and we made one and included pictures. I can't really say if it influenced the sale or not. I gave the highest bid.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Well they went with a different offer so fuck me I guess.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sorry, buddy. That sucks. I hope your next pitch is successful, and for an even better house.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You shoulda just sent a dick pic.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Why not both? "I feel this penis would feel right at home in the master bedroom"

• Options
    It's chill, they apparently had fifteen offers so

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    "Let me counter those fifteen offers with fifteen... Inches."

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Writing personalized letters is also a thing in the UK, and helped my brother get his house recently! (Although I think there was only really one other offer competing with his).

Found out that the person Mori’s parents sold to is a realtor, and he bought it for his aunt and cousins. His aunt will have Mori’s parents’ half of the house and his cousins will have our half. So that’s sweet! He came round the other day (he’s technically our landlord now, so entitled to) and at first we didn’t know why - but it was to introduce his aunt and cousins to the house, as they hadn’t seen it yet.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You might not write a letter, but the real estate agent 100% clocks you, finds out why you like the house and tells the seller.

We beat higher offers because the owners wanted to sell to us as we were first home owners and the other offers were to use the house as an investment.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    It's baffling to me - I have sold a couple of times now and I have given no shits about who the buyers were. I could not imagine a situation where I would go with a lower offer due to a (probable) BS letter.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That is very strange to me as well. It's a business transaction.

Not saying it was the case with anyone here, but that practice just seems like a coded way of being racist, homophobic, etc. Like having a picture on your resume/CV or LinkedIN page, it had nothing to do with your professional ability.

• Options
    It's baffling to me - I have sold a couple of times now and I have given no shits about who the buyers were. I could not imagine a situation where I would go with a lower offer due to a (probable) BS letter.

Well it boils down to the fact that, yeah, sure, you're making a capital investment into your own future wealth, but also you're trying to find a home for your family.

So like yeah sure it's a super huge financial decision, but also it's a very personal and emotional decision.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I can definitely understand wanting to sell to someone who will love in the house and not just tear it down or rent it out. I can also understand wanting to get the most money possible. I don't think either is weird, just different.

That being said, I'm super glad I didn't have to write a letter when we bought our house.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    If there’s not a huge difference in the offers I can totally imagine myself being the type of person to be swayed by a letter. Years and years of renting some really quite awful places in hot markets have made me deeply wary/resentful of landlords and investment buyers.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If you have roots in the neighborhood and want to make sure it isnt gutted by speculators

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea If I had two offers, one was from people who were moving for whatever reason, and one was property speculators, I would want a much higher offer from the speculators before I sold.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I wrote a letter and beat the highest offer saving me 15K. I offered 340k the house appraised at 355k and there were other bidders. I won due to my letter.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you consider the emotional attachment to your house, it isn't surprising that some people will take less money if they know the house is going to be a family home.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I think the realtor selling my house had a personal relationship with the previous owner and could pretty easily tell I was an excited first home buyer looking for a place to live and love, but I also don't know that there were any other offers being put in. Advantages of buying during an economic downturn. It's a good strategy, I recommend it.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So my parents fully moved into our spare house this week while their place is being reroofed for the next few months.

They hosted a family dinner there last night and we had 5 adults and 3 kids running running around this small space but it was still so. nice.

Like, even though the place isn't large, it's still well laid out and has lots of really nice flow through multiple living areas, from the front sitting window to the lounge to the dining/kitchen to the back deck so everyone could break off and not feel crowded and yet not isolated from everyone. There was a pleasant breeze coming through, and we moved from room to room effortlessly as the flow of the party dictated. The kids loved the backyard and spare room full of their toys and the whole thing just worked beautifully.

It was also just wonderful seeing the house full of stuff and lived in. The open home was so staged and stark - no Christmas tree or presents the week before Chistmas - it never really clicked how it would work when it was properly lived in, but with all the furniture in and just so excellent already, I really felt the potential of what's already there.

At the end of the evening we left, but I really felt more positive about the house than any other time since we bought the place. It's already amazing, and we're planning on only enhancing what's already there. I can't believe how well this is working out and how good it might be.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    On Friday they put the tiles on the outhouse as I think they got bored of taking the tiles off the main house.

DxRDhGil.jpg

It still needs the ridge lines, fascias, the flat roof needs finishing and guttering adding but it's nice to know that I can now store stuff in that outbuilding without it rotting from the inside out because of how damp it was in there

U9aY7Ozl.jpg

I think I'm going to have to go scrub out the concrete floor with some bleach though. It's pretty nasty.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That looks like the job for a power washer!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yep, hire a pressure cleaner, preferably one that does steam not just cold water. That'll kill all the mold and bacteria too.

This discussion has been closed.