As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WAKANDA FOREVER! [Black Panther] Is out now

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Oh this stuff was waaaaay better than GotG's.

Either.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh this stuff was waaaaay better than GotG's.

Either.

I disagree.

I basically never notice the quality of cg. Both the GotGs looked fine to me.

This movies third act was constantly distracting by how poor the cg was.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    What I have learned from this exchange is that there are no criteria for whether CGI looks good or bad.

sarukun on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I think GoTG is less egregious because it’s such a constant factor in the entire film. Especially with two major characters being 100% cgi. Here the action switched between more practical and total cgi so often that it caused whiplash

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Marvel actually released the clip I think has the worst CG early as part of their promotion for the movie. (The second clip, with the big Black Panther fight)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rReTl3hQBRs
    When I first saw it, I assumed it was another case of unfinished CG in a trailer, but nope.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Finally saw this yesterday.

The first showing my gf and I tried to see was actually sold out, and the next one that we got tickets for was still packed.

It was a really great crowd and aside from the baby who started crying during the final battle everyone seemed to really like it!

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Finally saw this yesterday.

The first showing my gf and I tried to see was actually sold out, and the next one that we got tickets for was still packed.

It was a really great crowd and aside from the baby who started crying during the final battle everyone seemed to really like it!

The baby didn't like the CGI either.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Also can someone give me a breakdown of the post-credits scene behind a spoiler? We both had to make a quick exit for the bathrooms after the mid-credits scene and missed it.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    man y'all are spoiled on cgi, watch the old blade films, that's shitty cgi.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    One was Wakanda at the UN saying they'll be less isolationist

One is Bucky in Wakanda, cured

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

The stuff at the very end of Blade is memorably bad.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Worse cgi doesn't make bad cgi better

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Honestly I think I'm broken because I almost never notice CGI being bad. The only thing I specifically noticed in this movie was the falling-through-the-air-punching bit, but that was mostly because the speed and weight seemed off. I genuinely only notice stuff if it's close to Brontosauri in King Kong levels of obvious most times.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    DW7bnz9VQAEK9aP.jpg

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    We've all had that dream

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Start the Kickstarter right now.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

to be fair, Killmonger is a really good name for a cat

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gotta name your cat after Mr. Big-Money, Ulysses Klaue.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I would scritch his little chin and call him my li'l monger.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

Okoye is the best in this movie but if she weren't, it would be M'baku. He's just so fucking good, I wish he were in it more.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'd watch a whole movie of T'Challa, M'baku, and Shuri just getting up to hijinks!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I definitely disagree. On a technical level I thought the CGI looked totally fine. I just didn't want the climax to be a big dumb weightless CGI smackdown thing. I thought it looked muuuuuch better than the similar big fights at the end of Wonder Woman, Justice League, etc. It didn't look super great, but it didn't stand out as poorly made to me, even remotely.

GotG 2 had a similarly CGI fest ending, and I think it looked roughly similar in quality. The difference is that the Guardians one was actually super fun and we'll integrated into the climax, as opposed to just being "okay, time to move this over to a separate room and let the VFX artists finish this thing up."

Part of what made this one so jarring was the cutting back and forth to all the cool, brightly lit fights happening up on the surface and in the air, which were way more interesting to look at.

Well... I also thought the CGI rhinos looked dumb and a few cuts up on the surface were bad.

I actually think the rhinos were the worst looking CG in the film (worse than the underground fight), but the idea of armored war rhinos you summon by blowing on a goddamn horn is so fucking cool that I can forgive it.
    I pretty much loved this movie from start to finish, although I thought the "civil war" part at the end was pretty bad. But, the whole movie I was thinking "this is great, but are they ever going to let this movie get really dumb" and then the rhinos popped out and me and the crowd audibly cheered.

Like, yes it's a good thoughtful movie but come on, battle rhinos yes.

I didn't think the rhinos looked as bad as the shot of the two video game characters falling through the abyss and punching each other, that looked truly terrible.

cursedking on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'd watch a whole movie of T'Challa, M'baku, and Shuri just getting up to hijinks!
    I saw it in the second weekend of its release, in a packed theater, and when he said "just kidding, we're vegetarians" the entire theater died. You could tell by his reaction to his own joke that he knew it would kill, too.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    But really though, Okoye slayed in this movie and when she really whips her spear out for the first time I was cackling like a madman

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    But really though, Okoye slayed in this movie and when she really whips her spear out for the first time I was cackling like a madman
    I loved the lines about guns being primitive.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I really think everyone got great arcs in this movie, except W'Kabi. his stuff is pretty insane and has basically zero resolution.

he's the symbol for the problem with the third act, which is that wakanda has a violent civil war, people die, and then the next day nothing is wrong and there are no repercussions. And W'kabi basically brought on a coup that started everything and led to their sacred shit getting burned up! It feels completely crazy, there should be huge consequences for that.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I really think everyone got great arcs in this movie, except W'Kabi. his stuff is pretty insane and has basically zero resolution.

he's the symbol for the problem with the third act, which is that wakanda has a violent civil war, people die, and then the next day nothing is wrong and there are no repercussions. And W'kabi basically brought on a coup that started everything and led to their sacred shit getting burned up! It feels completely crazy, there should be huge consequences for that.

Well, he was
    kicked off the royal council. Maybe it's like Wakandan probation?

minor incident on
  • Options

Well, he was
    kicked off the royal council. Maybe it's like Wakandan probation?

ok, i didn't notice that right at the end, i guess at least there's that?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind
    he is still the head of one of the 5 founding nations, and was technically obeying the law

They don't ever have to trust him again, as reflected by M'Baku taking his place on the council, but trying to actively punish him could stir up a whole lot of unrest.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Keep in mind
    he is still the head of one of the 5 founding nations, and was technically obeying the law

They don't ever have to trust him again, as reflected by M'Baku taking his place on the council, but trying to actively punish him could stir up a whole lot of unrest.

Nope
    once T'Challa shows back up it becomes immediately clear that the challenge is not done and Killmonger is not legitimately king. W'Kabi should have ordered his men to stand down and let Killmonger and T'Challa fight it out alone but instead he willingly has them take up arms against the current king

That's a paddlin'

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Keep in mind

Nope
    once T'Challa shows back up it becomes immediately clear that the challenge is not done and Killmonger is not legitimately king. W'Kabi should have ordered his men to stand down and let Killmonger and T'Challa fight it out alone but instead he willingly has them take up arms against the current king

That's a paddlin'

Even if his argument is
    "Well, you were thrown off a waterfall and never came back so you lost by forfeit", he should have at least made everyone stand down while they actually determine that. But nah. He just goes right on with the fighting because he's on board with Killmonger, NOT Wakanda's rules and customs.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hTRn61B.png

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

That T'CHALLA chant that pops up during her fight sections is so good

https://youtu.be/-tiSV79qLBU

NeoToma on
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Surely, I can't be the only one that legit thought Ross was gonna bite it near the end?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Nah, I thought he was fucked

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I usually unabashedly love dumb nerd fanservice shit as long as it's just a little nod and not too big of a moment, so I hope he meets Dr. Strange briefly in Infinity War.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    FINALLY saw this. Movie was amazing, as expected, except for
    the terrible CGI in the last fight. Also, I realize this isn't the fault of this movie, and it actually made a lot of sense in context, but wow am I bored of the "supervillian has the same powers as the hero but is evil" thing. Like, super bored.

Also the Soul Gem is 100% in Wakanda, you goofs. Vibranium does not send you into an idyllic pocket universe full of people's souls. That's, like, the entire schtick of the soul gem.

And yeah, I read the interview, and technically we didn't see the gem ever, just its effects, and being technically correct is 100% a perfect answer for someone under a Disney-level NDA.

Narbus on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Lord God in Heaven do I hope you're wrong about that. That would be utterly rancid on more than one level.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png