As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would be terrified that just about everyone is going to go Pirate in this. It looks like the devs might have had similar thoughts based on the way they set up PvP.
    I've never been big into pirate "culture" but I do love me some naval stuff. I'll have to try and get into the beta to at least dick around as an NO.

The crafting stuff sounds really cool, btw, and I tend to hate crafting.

Accualt on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As cool as pirates are, a privateer in the suave, swashbuckling, seaworthy Spanish Armada is the best.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've only played until level five, but this seems like something to finally pull me away from WoW. For those of you that have experienced higher levels, does ship-to-ship combat get any more interesting later on? I was talking about this with someone yesterday, and he was saying that he couldn't see himself playing the game because the crafting really didn't interest him, and it seemed like there was nothing particularly interesting about being higher level. I really like the the naval combat (so far at least), but does it get any more complex, or is it just more speed/manoeuvrability/firepower?

I dunno, I want to be a pirate. But I have a feeling if I get into this I'll hit max level eventually and get bored.

edit: Anyone been having this problem? The auto-updater is trying to download/decompress en_us_data.dat_delta but continues to give me a bad file error. Do I need to reinstall?

exis on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It gets more complex just by the fact the higher level ships are not very forgiving of mistakes. If you make a bad decision in one of those big tubs it can end you fast, whereas with the newb ships you can pretty much do whatever you want without any good tactics. The NPCs NEVER get remotely difficult. The different skills can turn a battle, once you have a ton of them they open up a lot of different tactics.

If you want challenge you have to PvP.

Cabezone on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    I would be terrified that just about everyone is going to go Pirate in this. It looks like the devs might have had similar thoughts based on the way they set up PvP.

The game is called PIRATES of the Burning Sea...

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    exis wrote: »
    edit: Anyone been having this problem? The auto-updater is trying to download/decompress en_us_data.dat_delta but continues to give me a bad file error. Do I need to reinstall?

Delete the file from the piggs directory, the close and restart the updater. You might have to do this a couple times. Although it looks like after you get all the files you shouldn't have problems with subsequent updates.

PeasantDave on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    I've never been big into pirate "culture" but I do love me some naval stuff. I'll have to try and get into the beta to at least dick around as an NO.

The crafting stuff sounds really cool, btw, and I tend to hate crafting.

I just want to be a pirate so I can shipjack some fancy-shmansy british ship of the line.

BlueDestiny on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I too love the Economy. I just wish that two defiants weren't exactly the same. I wish they implemented some form of stat customization, like SWG.

I don't know how they'd do it...maybe make Port A's iron of a higher quality than Port B for a period of time...then switch it around.

I dunno.

All in all I love this game.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    how is it for someone tired of WoW and totally unattracted by Eve?

tyrannus on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've noticed a trend that I think the UI of every MMO besides WoW looks like someone put it together in MS Paint.

Then again my WoW UI looks nothing like the default, but the default just looks so much more polished than others I've seen (LOTRO, Warhammer, this).

riz on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    how is it for someone tired of WoW and totally unattracted by Eve?

hard to talk about what the finished product will be like, but if you're sick of WoW combat, PotBS combat should be refreshing for you. However, on the other hand, if you don't like EVE because it's too complicated, the economy of PotBS is going to be just about as complicated as eve's, if not moreso.

seems like Pirates, in the long-term, is going to be about pvp and holding ports so that your nation has access to enough resources to build the best gear. I'm scared you'll basically *have* to play the economy to get anywhere in the endgame. I like games where crafting is optional, but I have a feeling that once you hit max level and there's no more missions, the only way to make money will be to create stuff and sell it... and I'm not too into that =d

DiscoZombie on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    well, I always wanted to be a pirate when I played EvE, because ratting all day like a towel sucked.

tyrannus on
  • johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DiscoZombie,

If you were a maxed level character looking for money, I can image a ton of wussy traders that would be more than happy to dip into their profits to pay for protection of vital townships.

They would probably give out ships if they are that desperate.

There is a lot of sand to play in this sandbox.

johnnyonoes on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heir wrote: »
    I too love the Economy. I just wish that two defiants weren't exactly the same. I wish they implemented some form of stat customization, like SWG.

That is what customizing your ship with outfittings is for.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Got my key this morning, downloading the 5 gig (GIG) installer as we speak. I'll probably be ready to go tomorrow morning or sometime.

Have we basically decided on Rackham?

Imperfect on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I have the game downloaded but every time I start it up it sits there until I control alt delete it and get a error with the physics engine saying library not found. Any ideas whats up?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wow, thats a big patch, guess ill be playing this tomorrow then. if rackham isn't open ill start working on blackbeard.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

That is what customizing your ship with outfittings is for.

Yeah but it's just not the same. I loved cranking out some nice rifles that each earned a mint because of their exceptional quality.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So I have the game downloaded but every time I start it up it sits there until I control alt delete it and get a error with the physics engine saying library not found. Any ideas whats up?

I saw the Aegia logo on one of the splash screens, I have the drivers installed from GRAW or something else, maybe you need to install/update those?

Harakhti on
    edited December 2007
    Harakhti wrote: »

I saw the Aegia logo on one of the splash screens, I have the drivers installed from GRAW or something else, maybe you need to install/update those?
    Yea i DL'd it abit ago and it worked.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is the file supposed to take 10 years to extract?
    I wanna play noowwww

Stealtharcadia on
    edited December 2007
    sorry stealth, but you gotta patch too might be a couple horus :)

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited December 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    sorry stealth, but you gotta patch too might be a couple horus :)

Bleh, well it extracted and then told me I don't have enough room. Whoops! Only had 9 gigs available.
    Now I get to do it all over. =D
    *kills himself*

Stealtharcadia on
    edited December 2007
    So is there a guild for this?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2007
    we've about 10 pirate players on Rackham. If want in post your in-game name and i'll toss you an invite.

Harakhti on
    edited December 2007
    I'll totally let you guys know once I get going.

Stealtharcadia on
    edited December 2007
    Draeven Cane is my pirates name, just running the basic mission right now getting a feel for the game.

Draeven on

• Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Was getting the same thing

Any ideas?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited December 2007
    Harakhti wrote: »

Do that?

Stealtharcadia on
    edited December 2007
    This was posted on the main website...
    Flying Lab wrote:
    We’ve been planning to end the Open Beta this Sunday the 23rd. But we’ve heard from so many players who want to play over the holidays that we’ve changed our minds.

The Pirates of the Burning Sea Open Beta will now run until the morning of January 1st, 2008!

Of course, what’s the end of an Open Beta without an end-of-an-Open-Beta event? We have a big one planned, and while it gets started this coming week it will climax on Sunday, December 30th. Look for details about this event. It’s going to be EPIC.

Harakhti on
  • VolitorVolitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Any life in this still?

Volitor on
    I own face.
    edited December 2007
    Well my charecters name is Sonelan O'Connor if i can get an invite to the pirate guild

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2007
    So do you always start out as a dirty fighter as a pirate? I really wanted to do the floritne or whatever one.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You can do the first couple quests, then you will eventually get a reward of a free respec. I think this is part of the chain which has you talk to one of your trainers in the very beginning.

Send a message to Kevin Billard, Nattie O'Kility, Thaddeus Jagger, or Ro Billard for an invite to "Pirates of Clonakility Bay"

If anyone needs a promotion to invite other people, tell me here or in game.

PeasantDave on
  • volluspavolluspa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sorry to my fellow pirates. im out of town for the holidays so.. ill catch you all later when i get back. ill be preordering this so ill sure be there before launch :3

volluspa on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is fucking ridiculous. First I downloaded the entire 6GB file (took about 5 hours) and found out the file was corrupted, so I have to download the parts. Whatever, I'll just download them when I go to bed. So I get the 3 files queued up and they download without a hitch.

I install the game and it asks for a station ID/password. Cool.. I think I already had one. Spent 20 minutes trying to remember my password from EQ1 days, and finally said "Fuck it." and reset the password. I wait another 15 minutes till I get the email, and everytime I click the link in the email it says: "Password reset failed." or it says: "404 Error, try again later." So after clicking that link a few hundred thousand times, it finally goes through and gives me a temporary password.

Since the password is obviously hard to remember I went into the account to reset it... And wouldn't you know it, you have to answer a secret question. Why the fuck do I need to answer a secret question if I've already logged into the account? I mean... Seriously? I don't know the answer to the question (What is my Favorite Food? I don't know... That was like 7 years ago, my fatass liked everything!), so I said "Fuck it, I'll deal with the temporary password."

So I finally log into POTBS, and it says I need a subscription key. I pasted the key into the box, and it says you successfully consumed the key. Sweet. Finally get to play. Close the dialog box and get an error that says: "You do not have a Pirates of the Burning Sea Subscription." What? So I click okay and it asks for the 20 digit key again. Of course when I copy/paste it into the box the fucking thing says that I've already used that key. I close the dialog box again, and it still says I have to subscribe.

Fuck. This. Shit. It's been way too much of a fucking hassle to play this game. This is why SOE can suck a big fat cock.

urahonky on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    that is an incredibly common SOE experience :(

DiscoZombie on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Still trying to download the massive fucking files, I was in the beta over a year ago but god trying to update to how they've set it up now is retarded.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited December 2007
    yeah, the update is a bit huge, but so far been a good time. and for those worried about the over population of pirates, it seems the brits are much more popular.

Draeven on

edited December 2007
    I've been having fun playing it but haven't been able to PvP yet.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]