As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The hobby supplies part of the hobby can run just as much as the miniatures themselves. Heck, I’ll pinch pennies with second hand 40k stuff and feel like I’m dying if I have to pay full retail for a kit, but happily put down 10 bucks a week on a new paint or brush or some glue. That stuff sneaks up on you.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Privateer Press paints generally get good reviews for color and coverage.
    They sell them in six packs, themed to the various factions (IE Khador will get you red and grey paints, Cryx will be more Bone/Black/Green)
    Depending on what you're painting, you might be better off just picking up a couple pots of likely colors at a time.

Like anything with the hobby, going big can result in some sticker shock. But if you space your purchases out you can delay the sticker shock until one boring day when you decide to add up how much you've spent on assorted tiny robots.

see317 on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I think we're getting ahead of ourselves, fellas.

Don't sweat why brand X is better than Y but worse than Z. Put some paint on some minis and go from there. Lest you end up like me who has, at current count, black paint from no less than 8 different brands (and I'm about to buy a 9th!) trying to find the perfect mix of coverage, consistency, and finish (it doesn't exist). I could rattle on for days about the merits of each and which colors are better in which ranges, but I won't.

Seriously I have so much fucking paint, you guys. It's a real problem.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Kinda spamming the thread at this stage, sorry.
    not sorry.

5uroiyf33uwq.jpg

Started work on my Typhus today and went back to this photo for reference.

What did you use to get the blue finish on the helm @Kneel

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »
    Kinda spamming the thread at this stage, sorry.
    not sorry.

5uroiyf33uwq.jpg

Started work on my Typhus today and went back to this photo for reference.

What did you use to get the blue finish on the helm @Kneel

Celestra Grey base, washed with thinned (via lamhmian medium) Drakenhof Nightshade, highlighted with Celestra/Ulthuan/White.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Have you considered huffing it?

No solvents in those water based acrylics, and Tamiya's are mild as milkwater... :sad:

Also, old drafts are _old._
    fray wrote: »
    I don't really know much about airbrushing - how big of a deal are the fumes? I've seen people on youtube wearing masks, and I imagine doing it in a cupboard is a bad idea, do you guys that use them do anything else?
    At it's most basic level, air brushing is filling up the air around you with lots of very small, very fine paint particles. A little bit might cause some discomfort, but probably isn't going to mess you up. On the other hand, lungs HATE getting very fine, very small particles inside of them, so it's just one of those sensible precautions, like not whizzing on the electric fence.
    As someone who currently paints at an Aluminum Demon standard, seeing stuff painted by the people in this thread is very motivating.
    All us lead daemons are good at is dread-socking...
    That'd be like painting a Blood Angel honour guard like a naked dude.
    BRB, I gotta go nude up some manz!

Thanks Kneel!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So when I'm not spending all day/night in lab I've been used what little spare time to paint. I started this guy basically at the beginning of the month, and used white, grey, pink, and blue. Just single shades, and then made myself mix paints. Needless to say I'm quite happy with the results.

K1MX38Z.jpg
    oLxlRlc.jpg
    DF9SBxb.jpg

One down, two to go!

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    Ok sorry about the number of edits. My phone didn't want to post pics correctly.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Holy s**t, Koreg.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Legion hype and being snowed in has me painting anything Star Wars I can find.
    6yh657l9qm94.jpg
    wmk80ezbkhn8.jpg
    n5sgv5pfd5wl.jpg
    Thinking about doing all my Legion bases like this. IDK yet if it'll be worth that much work, though.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well, now you have to, @TacoForce, because if you don't your AT-ST will look out of place, and you can't have that ...

edited March 2018
    That AT-ST is beautiful and I want to caress it. Hope you varnished!

Also I've got Eisenhorn primed and ready for paint, just gotta ease off on Into The Breach and Witcher III 'cause oh boy I got my gaming bug back and rationing off my time is hard, you guys.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Nips wrote: »
    Holy s**t, Koreg.

I just realized how big those pictures posted. This is what I get for trying to put pictures up straight from imgur on my phone. Sorry about that.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Holy s**t, Koreg.

I just realized how big those pictures posted. This is what I get for trying to put pictures up straight from imgur on my phone. Sorry about that.

... I figured that reaction was for quality, not for size.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Holy s**t, Koreg.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    Holy s**t, Koreg.

It was definitely *not* because of the size of the pictures.

The skin and horns on that mini are mind-bogglingly good, @Koreg . Did it take, like, seventeen layers? It's so well blended, it's criminal.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Holy s**t, Koreg.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    Holy s**t, Koreg.

It was definitely *not* because of the size of the pictures.

The skin and horns on that mini are mind-bogglingly good, @Koreg . Did it take, like, seventeen layers? It's so well blended, it's criminal.

Well that's good to know. I was going to figure out how to shrink them.

I used the following paints, all from Vallejo: Matt White, Warlock Purple, Ash Grey, and Troglodyte Blue.

Base coated in white, then a solid layer of the warlock purple (it's really just a tinted pink). The skin is only like 5 layers. A base, the top of the fins are two separate pink/white mixes. The first is a 1:2 then a 1:1 on top of it. I painted them, and after they dried a bit I used a watered down version to feather the layers twice to smooth the transitions. The shadows are the pink with grey in a similar fashion. The very inside is made with pink mixed with a very small amount of blue to make a darker purple color. I thinned it a lot and stippled it on, and didn't do strokes. This let it stick down in the bottom and form a speckled pattern with almost no work. I did some more severe highlights on the top of the eye ridges to try to get it to pop a bit more.

The horns, I simply left the bottom 1/3rd of the horns pink from when I did the skin, and did a few thin coats of ash grey. It gave them a pre-shaded look which worked better than I thought. Then it was again a 1:2 and 1:1 grey to white. This took maybe 5-6 hours total broken into a lot of 20-30 minute days

I didn't use any washes, just those four colors. If I can get the remaining 2 to look similar, I'm going to start a full demon squad using the same method. I think that I can get smoother results using a secondary color for my main color, white, and a dark toned primary color that belongs to my main color than using the triad system I was using before.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Any advice for getting a babies first airbrush

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Any advice for getting a babies first airbrush

What are you planning to use it for?

My general advice for airbrushing though is recognizing that it’s a whole world with a lot of elements and research. So if you are ready to take the plunge it’s super rewarding but will also be super overwhelming and frustrating at times.

But you’ll need an airbrush, a line, an air compressor minimum. But you’ll probably also want a respirator, a spray booth, a moisture trap and an airbrush holder/pot.

I got just an airbrush for Christmas and it was quite the ordeal getting it all set up to work right.

I just want to airbrush some gunpla

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

A noble endeavor! So you’ll probably be using it for paint and clear coats then.

Will you be airbrushing indoors or outdoors? How humid is it where you live?

Im in minnesota so it can get pretty humid in the summer

Inside my house is fine though

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

That's like saying, 'I just want to paint some gunpla.' You're going to be told you need paint, primer, this kind of brush, that kind of brush. There's a certain amount of front loading that needs to be done to get started.

You can buy dust masks at any store with a hardware section for a couple of bucks (50 on Amazon for$8.). As I mentioned up thread, inhaling micro-fine aersolized paint particles isn't much fun.

For model painting like Gundam kits, you want a gravity fed (you've got the little pot atop the airbrush), dual-action airbrush (dual action lets you control air flow and paint amount with a single finger motion. Single action only lets you do air flow on/off, so it's good for say, painting bigger objects, or just doing an all over coat, but not so good if you're working on small areas or fine detail).

Given the difference between painting a MG kit, and say, an entire Infinity force, that's probably more airbrush than you need. You might be able to get by with something like this. But, you get what you pay for.

If you're only doing the occasional model, you don't need a spray booth but it keeps those tiny paint particles contained. Just putting the model in a large box and using that as a backdrop could be sufficient.

A cleaning pot if pretty vital, because just like how you don't want to be breathing in aerosol paint particles, at some point you're going to be running cleaner through the brush, and you want to be breathing that in even less.

I was looking at the Mutalish Vortex beast today and it has me wondering... I see this tone of black all over the place with GW models, but how the heck is it achieved? Is it a grey that I don't know about or is it a shaded abbadon black?

99120201021_MutilithVortexBeast02.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Black with a (progressively smaller) edge highlight of Dark Reaper > Thunderhawk Blue > Fenrisian Grey.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, just a simple drybrush/highlight of standard black can get you some really nice looking results. For example, the flesh on my tyranids is simply black basecoat, codex grey drybrush, fortress grey light drybrush, but it gives you that blue-ish hue. Got to the Warhammer TV channel on youtube, and look up any of the videos where Duncan is working on black colors. That should show you what's happening.

J82wmAa.jpg

Also, following my post last night, I put paint to model for the first time since... August (whenever I posted that Minotaur who was part of a scenic base, about to get owned by a redemptor dread, if anyone actually remembers that :lol: ) and hot damn, did it feel GOOD to paint again!

Gabriel_Pitt on

That's like saying, 'I just want to paint some gunpla.' You're going to be told you need paint, primer, this kind of brush, that kind of brush. There's a certain amount of front loading that needs to be done to get started.

You can buy dust masks at any store with a hardware section for a couple of bucks (50 on Amazon for$8.). As I mentioned up thread, inhaling micro-fine aersolized paint particles isn't much fun.

For model painting like Gundam kits, you want a gravity fed (you've got the little pot atop the airbrush), dual-action airbrush (dual action lets you control air flow and paint amount with a single finger motion. Single action only lets you do air flow on/off, so it's good for say, painting bigger objects, or just doing an all over coat, but not so good if you're working on small areas or fine detail).

Given the difference between painting a MG kit, and say, an entire Infinity force, that's probably more airbrush than you need. You might be able to get by with something like this. But, you get what you pay for.

If you're only doing the occasional model, you don't need a spray booth but it keeps those tiny paint particles contained. Just putting the model in a large box and using that as a backdrop could be sufficient.

A cleaning pot if pretty vital, because just like how you don't want to be breathing in aerosol paint particles, at some point you're going to be running cleaner through the brush, and you want to be breathing that in even less.

I most of the extra stuff, dad was a handyman so I have a lot of odds and end, just not specfically a airbrush.

Maybe I shoukd just grab one of those horribly rated testor ones as a trail run

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    @Dr_Keenbean @Gabriel_Pitt

Thank you!

That's exactly what I needed

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I feel like building the "Gets Hot!" model is a right of passage for all Space Marine players.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel like building the "Gets Hot!" model is a right of passage for all Space Marine players.

9j95cgqxnsj7.png
    Most don't live to tell the tale

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    the goggles...do nothing

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    They protect his eyes from the plasma! That's just basic safety.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I painted a 40k for once, I've actually had this in its box since the Tyranid codex dropped with the intention of jumping back into 40k with 8th ed, but I didn't find it that much fun. But I signed up for a little 12 week tournament thing at my local GW, and I can hardly play in that without at least slapping some paint on it.

3N63Uqe.jpg?1
    xaxwaTI.jpg?1
    igKcWbW.jpg?1
    RhRYrqj.jpg?1

It's works well with the fact he's facing down 10 tonnes of charging hierodule, and I had the 'gun fire' effect piece from armorcast, which, flipped around, makes a really good plasma ball! The whole thng just has such an amusing, 'I'm screwed, fuck it' vibe going on. :lol:

• TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    yax8tgsetnzo.jpg
    i8s6dmosqn9c.jpg
    lzmk40vhv6xo.jpg

"Dat ass!!!"

'That's mah boi!'

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So, I am super intimidated by you guys, but I have come back to check in with my progress!

You may remember my early efforts with painting minis:
    14469569_10154932454299796_3302714314353530054_n.jpg?oh=12d774ea4758620db12bef392528bb5d&oe=5B2DECA5
    14502799_10154953148649796_6143956563878262201_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=74d017eaec2d3c9c848114aa0d921ef9&oe=5B289275

I got some advice from this thread, some from the Reaper minis forums, and I kept working at it:
    21458238_10156302957394796_8238464113153258499_o.jpg?oh=986c804f358608538f8d0b8562a34f49&oe=5B4AF00A

I didn't understanding how washing and dry brushing worked, though, and the very idea of highlighting was terrifying. I met some people playing D&D, though, that paint minis and have gotten a lot of pointers, so I've been working at it.
    27908124_10156814677274796_4154871467238635696_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=38bcbd7d69c6658cb27de2935ed43af8&oe=5B4CBF20

This was my most recent mini. The camera flash made the flesh wash on her face go splotchy. She actually looks really good under normal lighting, and I'm pretty happy with my progress.
    29178496_10156906529009796_6368060602899759104_o.jpg?oh=c88b453e7ed6096b5376c0d75787ce19&oe=5B2A3B5A
    29196617_10156906529189796_972261079759454208_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9866a8ca327d5a9dbf56dbf74531dc73&oe=5B3E5E59

My next mini is the Cragheart I'm playing in Gloomhaven, and I want to paint a paladin looking warrior mini after that.

I've started thinking about that massive clockwork dragon mini I have, and hope to tackle that one soon.....

Nova_C on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Hey Nova! Long time no C (I'm fired. I'll see myself out)~

For what it's worth, most of us here intimidate each other too. It never matters how good you are, everyone else still seems better. Just keep doing your thing, because practice is the only reason any of us got where we are now anyway.

This discussion has been closed.