As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2018 BYOC Mega Thread

DrogithDrogith She who runneth the BYOCPittsfield, NHRegistered User regular
edited March 2018 in PAX East
****PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE****

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX East to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums.

--- Getting There ---

If you're travelling by car, pull into the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be Enforcers inside the building manning a security station that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the RIGHT escalator or the elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0/ Hall Southwest C1).

Note that BYOC opens at 8:00am on Thursday and Friday, two hours earlier than the rest of the show, for unloading purposes. Obviously, that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but the idea is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

4-Day (or other) PAX Pass
BYOC Pass
Computer
Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
Keyboard
Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
Mouse pad
Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but longer is always better)
Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
Headphones
Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to help out.

--- Pre-PAX Prep---

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is extremely limited...you'll almost certainly get faster downloads at home.

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

--- PAX East Badge Registration ---

Your PAX East BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com.

--- PAX East Schedule ---

The PAX East BYOC schedule is as follows:
Thursday: 8:00am - 12:00am (8:00am - 12:00pm unload)
Friday: 8:00am - 12:00am (8:00am - 12:00pm unload)
Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule will be found on our forums right here when it announced. Note this does not account for the various BYOC contests we'll be peer pressuring you into.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent iPods, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Ventrilo and Discord servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Ventrilo or Discord before you come to the event. You can download the clients at http://www.ventrilo.com and https://discordapp.com/.

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX, please see the BYOC Help Desk. If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved.

--- Internet Connection and Gaming ---

At a large venue such as PAX there can be limited bandwidth available during peak times such as check-in. Please make sure you patch your game prior to arriving to enhance your experience when you arrive!

==============================================

yx1i87m92tky.png

Drogith on

• DrogithDrogith She who runneth the BYOC Pittsfield, NHRegistered User regular
    To add onto the above, I'm adding a list of games that are LAN capable that we will be playing. If we find the internet to be GLORIOUS, we will swap over to more current games. I would also like to apologize for the delay in getting this posted. We had a mix up on who was posting this year.
    • Unreal Tournament
    • Counter Strike Source (Local server)
    • TF2 (Local server)
    • Worms Armageddon
    • Minecraft (Local server)
    • Quake 3
    • Battleblock Theatre
    • Diablo 2 (Can start and play w/o starting Blizzard launcher)
    • Jackbox (Hosted by us)

yx1i87m92tky.png

• jkurucarjkurucar Registered User regular
    left for dead 2? don't starve?

• TheYimTheYim Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Drogith wrote: »
    I would also like to apologize for the delay in getting this posted. We had a mix up on who was posting this year.

No problem! So... group registration? :P

TheYim on
    TheYim wrote: »
    I would also like to apologize for the delay in getting this posted. We had a mix up on who was posting this year.

No problem! So... group registration? :P

Right here! -> https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/218756/pax-east-2018-byoc-megathread-group-seating-edition#latest

LFD2 and Don't Starve... I hadn't even thought of those 2. Time to look into some things.

yx1i87m92tky.png

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Question, I don't see it covered anywhere - Do I need to patch/update my PC before I come to Pax?

( <3 )

p3HkbcM.png
    Question, I don't see it covered anywhere - Do I need to patch/update my PC before I come to Pax?

( <3 )

Let me get back to you on that, Kappa

yx1i87m92tky.png

• Gamer860Gamer860 Windsor, CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Ah damnit, I see online sales are closed. Does that mean you're outta individual BYOC tickets?

Gamer860 on
    And if you are out, how is the wireless in the building?

• hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    Oops, I totally forgot to get a BYOC badge this year. Have fun, y'all!

8hiRK4y.png
    Gamer860 wrote: »
    Ah damnit, I see online sales are closed. Does that mean you're outta individual BYOC tickets?
    Gamer860 wrote: »
    And if you are out, how is the wireless in the building?

Get in contact with pax_questions@paxsite.com and they should be able to direct you further. I'm not privy to the sales numbers for BYOC, just trying to make sure you guys enjoy yourself. As far as the Wi-fi goes, last year it was phenominal, but I haven't been to the BCEC since last PAX, so things could have changed since then.

yx1i87m92tky.png

Get in contact with pax_questions@paxsite.com and they should be able to direct you further. I'm not privy to the sales numbers for BYOC, just trying to make sure you guys enjoy yourself. As far as the Wi-fi goes, last year it was phenominal, but I haven't been to the BCEC since last PAX, so things could have changed since then.

I for sure will contact them. If the Wi-Fi was great last year, that's good enough for me; I'd like to think the BCEC would want to keep it that way. : )

All the same, thanks!

• thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    If I recall the BCEC wireless was good, the wired connection in the byoc...not so much. I didn't have a wifi card in my pc so I had to use my phone to take in the bcec wireless on wifi, connect to my pc through my usb cable and send the internet to it that way. One of these years that ethernet cable will push some internet through...one of these years ;p

Just about done with the pc case for this year!
    3D printed Metroid I made on my printer:
    HFocKWQ.png

thorkon on
  • MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I emailed pax_questions in regard to getting tickets BYOC last Monday, but have yet to have a response. Is it worth following up or are they likely to get to it at some point ?

I emailed pax_questions in regard to getting tickets BYOC last Monday, but have yet to have a response. Is it worth following up or are they likely to get to it at some point ?

Try firing a message at their Twitter to try and escalate your question. The Twitter account tends to be very active when answering people. I'm sure they have it in queue, but are overloaded due to PAX being so close.

yx1i87m92tky.png

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I asked them via the email address and they said BYOC is sold out. This was about a week ago. (we had someone join our group last minute and I'm short a badge now)

macrogeek wrote: »
    I asked them via the email address and they said BYOC is sold out. This was about a week ago. (we had someone join our group last minute and I'm short a badge now)

Yea got a similar message too today. : \

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    thorkon wrote: »

Sweet. What printer do you have?!

p3HkbcM.png
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    thorkon wrote: »

Sweet. What printer do you have?!

Mostly done on the CR-10, but I did a few parts with my Maker Select.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Anyone got Darwin Project? Would love to run some games in the BYOC area!

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Torchlight 2 is $5 on steam sale. Good low specs game for a diablo fix and runs well in LAN mode.

macrogeek wrote: »
    Torchlight 2 is $5 on steam sale. Good low specs game for a diablo fix and runs well in LAN mode.

Diablo 2 actually works w/o having to use the Blizzard client. Asked a D2 streamer to test it for me and she confirmed.

yx1i87m92tky.png

• coolant2coolant2 Registered User new member
    hendusoone wrote: »
    Oops, I totally forgot to get a BYOC badge this year. Have fun, y'all!

zzzz i also forgot to get a BYOC badge this year *CRY*