As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This album is great so far. Kraid's Lair gets a hot, jazzy tune, while the item fanfare is reimagined as a gentle lullaby.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

I can't believe he got the proportions right. I didn't think it was biologically possible.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ok, now

Do the Morph Ball

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I’m not sure I’m translating this right, but I think the caption is “Until a powered exoskeleton is completed. #cosplaylife. Metroid Prime 2.”

‘Powered Suit’ is the katakana, which when I googled it I came up with a few powered exoskeleton results, but maybe that’s the name for one of Samus’s other suits that he’s working on? Japanese is so ambiguous without the proper context.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Ok, now

Do the Morph Ball

That's easy.

The real trick is doing it twice.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I've always liked Ridley, hopefully his official Smash version will be more interesting than the Legacy XP fan version (it's not bad, but imho feels too much like Charizard with his firebreath special move swapped for Samus' charge shot). Which was a surprising disappointment, cause LXP's "Phantom Ganon" (really just an excuse to have Smash Ganon and a Ganon based on his actual abilities in Zelda games on the same roster) was really fun, as was their take on Waluigi.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    https://nintendoeverything.com/super-metroid-programmer-recalls-sneaking-in-a-reference-to-a-girl-he-was-dating/
    “Actually, before the fight with Draygon, the boss of Maridia, there’s a group of Evir enemies that do a little ‘dance’. Their movements actually trace out the letters of a phrase in English, ‘Keiko Love’! Keiko was the name of a girl I was dating at the time. I was busy with work all the time and couldn’t see her much, so at night while everyone at the office sleeping, I stole a moment and snuck that code in!

That little Evir dance wasn’t written in the planning documents anywhere, so I remember my heart beating fast as I coded it, with the worry of it being discovered… but in the end, no one ever found it out. Now isn’t that a romantic story? (laughs)”

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Bad news and good news for Prime 4

The Bad news is they scrapped all the development they had for it,

The Good news is that they are starting from scratch with Retro at the helm of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So

At least they decided not to put out a bad game and kill the series.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm cool with it. It at least shows that they're treating it seriously.
    (I assume that there's an awareness that if they make another Other M, the franchise is going back to sleep for a long time)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Was wondering what was taking so long, blah!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Agreed. They should take all the time they need to put out a great game. It's not as if there's a shortage of video games on Nintendo consoles or elsewhere, anyway. Now, will we ever find out what Retro was up to since Tropical Freeze or did those plans got canned with this recent development?

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I wonder what this means for Retros untitled barbecue simulator?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    My first thought on that Metrioid Prime 4 delay and rework is bah, I am impatient and demand satisfaction now!

My second thought is wow, good job Nintendo, it takes a lot of integrity to throw out a project that's been in development for 2+ years and start over. More than a few studios would have just shit it out, declared the series dead and moved on.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    My first thought on that Metrioid Prime 4 delay and rework is bah, I am impatient and demand satisfaction now!

My second thought is wow, good job Nintendo, it takes a lot of integrity to throw out a project that's been in development for 2+ years and start over. More than a few studios would have just shit it out, declared the series dead and moved on.

They do this all the time but they're rarely so public about it let alone so honest. Its refreshing.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The truly baffling thing about this whole thing is why didn't they have Retro working on it in the first place? Like, I can understand having an outside studio working on some random Metroid Subtitle game, but Metroid Prime is specifically tied to Retro.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So this probably means MP4 won't be out until holiday 2020 at the earliest. Probably more likely 2021.

On the one hand: UGH GIVE IT TO ME NOW

On the other hand: Yay Retro!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Probably timing. Retro had it's own other projects in the works and just wasn't in a position to work on Prime 4, especially if they didn't think there would be another one ever, let alone anytime soon. With development going to hell on the Bandai Namco front, and presumably a development slot opening up at Retro, there was an opportunity to start fresh and go with a move that might please the ornery Metroid fans.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    The truly baffling thing about this whole thing is why didn't they have Retro working on it in the first place? Like, I can understand having an outside studio working on some random Metroid Subtitle game, but Metroid Prime is specifically tied to Retro.

Retro has been working on something for a while now and they assist on other projects. They probably haven't had the manpower until now

• Options
    Money-wise, I think Retro's work on Donkey Kong has been much more profitable for them and Nintendo.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I think that hopefully means the chances we finally see what Retro had been working on this year. I agree it's probably timing now, with Retro finished with their current project, they can focus on fixing MP4.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    x1lyrghbvdgz.png

I think this speaks volumes to the fan base's reaction to this video. I too believe this is the right call. Don't shit out something that isn't up to par. The reality is that MP4 is absurdly hyped and coming out with something half-baked could kill the series.

Smart move on Nintendo's part. Take your time and get it right.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This is probably the right move.

On the other hand, this would be a great time for a metroid prime trology and/or 2d metroid legends collection for switch in the interim.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    A full trilogy might be hard (converting motion controls could be a headache), but I dare to think that a Metroid Returns-style remake of Super Metroid might be good/treasonous (depending on the level of fandom).

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    A full trilogy might be hard (converting motion controls could be a headache), but I dare to think that a Metroid Returns-style remake of Super Metroid might be good/treasonous (depending on the level of fandom).

I don't think Nintendo would ever remake Super Metroid

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Prime Trilogy should translate really well to Joycons. Most of the work would be in making 3's motion stuff optional, and allowing for GC style controls over all of em.

It's more work than a quick cash in HD Remaster though. I still got faith, gimme that tril on Switch please.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

I don't think motion control would be an issue really, outside of some extra movement on Prime 3, it's just moving a cursor so the Switch would be fine with that.

Even the extras in Prime 3 would be ok if they asked you to use the joycons separately.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I don't think Nintendo would ever remake Super Metroid

I'd love to see it given the Metroid II treatment and have a remastered version on the 3ds.
    Sure, it's not likely to happen, but I can hope.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just give me Trilogy on Switch to tide me over, please.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Well, this might make the Sylux DLC for Smash* a bit awkward...

* hypothetical, of course

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Yes please! God yes please.

Also I am 100% ok with this turn of events. I'd rather wait for another actual MP than something like Other M.

In the meantime, maybe they've already got a 2D Metroid in the work with MercurySteam after the success of Samus Returns, and they just haven't announced it yet.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I know it has been hinted at by a lot of insiders, but I honestly think this makes a Trilogy port even more likely.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I wonder what this means for Retros untitled barbecue simulator?

Retro is probably almost done with whatever they are working on, such as the rumored Star Fox racing game. Either re-pre-production on MP4 will be taking place alongside that, or Nintendo themselves will take over final polishing on whatever they made. I still expect a Retro game to release this year.

Yes, this. I would love to play MPT in 1080p.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Why turn an all-time classic into a mediocre game?

To be clear, a 2.5D remake could work, but Returns is not up to standard. Its gameplay is a straight downgrade.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

To be clear, a 2.5D remake could work, but Returns is not up to standard. Its gameplay is a straight downgrade.

Wait, Returns is a downgrade to the original GB title? I find that hard to believe.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I still have my Wii plugged in so I don't need a third copy of the Metroid Prime games.

I will absolutely buy those games a third time.

Also, this is for the best, but it still sucks and makes me wonder what other big titles Nintendo has in development to fill the gap. They already hit most of their big franchises and I don't see them putting out a new Mario or Zelda anytime soon.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Wait, Returns is a downgrade to the original GB title? I find that hard to believe.

It would be an objectively false statement.

However, I think what is being said is that SR's gameplay is a "straight downgrade" from Super.

Which, I believe, you'll find a vast amount of opinions on.

Personally, I'd say that it is definitely different, but definitely not a downgrade, when compared to Super.

Super has perfectly fine controls that are definitely not the pinnacle of controls in the series (zero mission and Fusion were better, IMO; they honed the good and made some of the more inscrutable stuff like shinespark'ing much more fluid and intuitive, not to mention just making morph ball controls less clunky, among other things).

Samus Returns had controls that initially felt off, but once the new systems clicked (countering and all that), it became incredibly fluid and IMO more versatile, than Super Metroid. The ability you had to quickly change abilities or how you could use morph ball with the direction pad in addition to the bottom screen taps was like if Super Metroid had access to the buttons of a modern controller.

Super Metroid had, again, perfectly fine controls, and definitely set the standard for the genre for ages. There are no lack of more recent games, however, that do the metroidvania style controls better. Whether one thinks SR's are on that list is highly debatable; but a "straight downgrade" is, at best, objectively incorrect. It may not feel better, and it may not be someones preference, but they are not regressive controls compared to Super.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Metroid 1 and Metroid 2 both really needed remakes. Zero Mission and Samus Returns are a lot less painful to play than the originals.

Super Metroid, meanwhile, doesn't really need a remake? It's aged pretty well in both gameplay and visuals. Make you could make a remaster where you give it HD sprites, I guess, but it doesn't need anything in the same way that Metroid 2 did.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    What a very un-Nintendo statement.