As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    For sure! I don't think I'll ever really get to the level of the rest of the people in here, but I have been enjoying the painting, and I can see definite improvement as I go, so I'm motivated to keep going.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The downside to seeing personal improvement is that over the past year and a half I have gone from Mud Demon to Aluminum Demon quality painting, so I look at the models that I had painted when I started and compare them to the models I'm painting now and they look like complete trash and I hide them as a result.

I should go back and start touching them up, but that just seems like getting into that habit would trap me in some ouroborian nightmare from which there would be no escape.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    For sure! I don't think I'll ever really get to the level of the rest of the people in here, but I have been enjoying the painting, and I can see definite improvement as I go, so I'm motivated to keep going.

One of the things I like about this hobby is you can get very impressive results with basic fundamentals. One of those "easy to do, hard to master" kind of things. Also, the hobby hole never ends, you can always fall in deeper if you are into it or find a new interesting niche of it. Just keep having fun. It's taken me into some light chemistry recently to figure out some smoothing issues using chemicals and "science".

oh god were on page 94, I told myself I would finish my plague drones that were shown in the OP before the thread finished... they are a drybrush and some details away...

steam_sig.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The downside to seeing personal improvement is that over the past year and a half I have gone from Mud Demon to Aluminum Demon quality painting, so I look at the models that I had painted when I started and compare them to the models I'm painting now and they look like complete trash and I hide them as a result.

I should go back and start touching them up, but that just seems like getting into that habit would trap me in some ouroborian nightmare from which there would be no escape.

This also never changes. Your past self is the worst. Talentless baboon!

• TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular

Hell yeah you will! Just keep at it and trust me, you'll improve all on your own.

Watching someone else's process every now and then isn't a bad idea, either. Personally, I'd recommend watching Sorastro. Really nice, easy to follow techniques, and the guy has an almost Bob Ross chill going for him. He seems to paint a fairly wide variety of models, too.

I still remember painting my first Blood Angels minis with the cheapest shit I could find from like JoAnn Fabric or something. Didn't even try to thin it down. You know, for REALISTIC TEXTURE.
    kxngj2ghiye3.jpg
    I, uh... I got better.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Is there anything that would actually look neat with a ‘too much thick paint with visible brush strokes’ method of painting? Like melty chaos spawn, or Tzeentch daemons specifically made to look like cheap paintings come to life.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    TacoForce wrote: »

Hell yeah you will! Just keep at it and trust me, you'll improve all on your own.

Watching someone else's process every now and then isn't a bad idea, either. Personally, I'd recommend watching Sorastro. Really nice, easy to follow techniques, and the guy has an almost Bob Ross chill going for him. He seems to paint a fairly wide variety of models, too.

I still remember painting my first Blood Angels minis with the cheapest shit I could find from like JoAnn Fabric or something. Didn't even try to thin it down. You know, for REALISTIC TEXTURE.
    kxngj2ghiye3.jpg
    I, uh... I got better.

I'm going to take a picture of my apothecary that I primer'd black and then tried to get nice even white by applying multiple layers of paint (not thinned, of course)

it's like attack of the blob monster

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Is there anything that would actually look neat with a ‘too much thick paint with visible brush strokes’ method of painting? Like melty chaos spawn, or Tzeentch daemons specifically made to look like cheap paintings come to life.

I'd think screamers might work with that look, possibly the horrors.
    Emperor's children maybe? Last book I read about them (something from the Heresy) had them all about fine art and painting their armor up.
    I mean, you'd have to be a great painter to make it look intentionally thick painty, rather than amateurishly thick painty, but it could work.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

kxngj2ghiye3.jpg
    I, uh... I got better.

I used similar paints back then but my mother stressed the thin your paints advice so yes I got ugly minis like
    wcj0l5941u4z.jpg

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So, @Bluedude152, that airbrush breakdown I wrote on the last page awoke by painting mojo, and for literally the first time since September (see the post below) I picked up a paint pot and got to work, putting my airbrush to use to do the base colors of my redemptor. It only took me six months to get this far, so I'm one gun, a little cleanup, and set of decals away from finishing it!

This is the first time I've ever done edge highlighting on a model, and I'm loving the result.

I'm still really proud of the freehand Minotaur's chapter symbol. :biggrin: g

MlweW2C.jpg
    I'm making progress on my Redemptor Dread! The base is done!
    Slow and steady...

I decided the about-to-be-deceased-marine should be a Minotaur, because serious, fuck the Minotaurs. If there's ever a loyalist chapter that's likely to end weapons hot against my own, might as well be them!

xLKrTI3.jpg

This is the first time I've ever tried to free hand a chapter symbol on a shoulder pad.

e2OXADd.jpg

mnPXjSb.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good, considering I spent an hour with a 0000 brush, and a loupe trying to get it right! Fortunately, the battle damage and purity seals help cover up some flaws.

m7A2x2s.jpg

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

kxngj2ghiye3.jpg
    I, uh... I got better.

I used similar paints back then but my mother stressed the thin your paints advice so yes I got ugly minis like
    wcj0l5941u4z.jpg

My first minis were from the original space hulk. I painted them with what my father had in the garage, some kind of latex paint.

Playing the game on the garden table (I was about 10ish at the time) I went inside for lunch and when I came back out all the miniatures had melted.

• NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I started painting minis late last year using Reaper's Learn to paint kits. The following are from the Core Skills kit. I'm just gonna link to the album because I don't remember if I set it to auto-resize.

https://imgur.com/a/kcBMA

I'm currently working on the Layer Up kit and when I'm finished with that one I take some pictures and show you guys.

I also want to say that you guys are, pretty much, the reason I got started doing this and I hate you.

P.S. I don't hate you.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
    edited March 2018
    There's a dude on the reaper forums who is dedicated to painting very expensive models, with those cheap art craft paints/apple barrel, he thins them and things come out...good? There amazing for the quality of paint involved, but its still iffy in the end. The photos he took weren't the best, but I can't really critique as mine are less than stellar no matter how much I try to fix them or how many guides I follow.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A good craftsman can still get acceptable results with shit tools, but they would probably get better results, and work more effectively with the better tools.

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I started painting minis late last year using Reaper's Learn to paint kits. The following are from the Core Skills kit. I'm just gonna link to the album because I don't remember if I set it to auto-resize.

https://imgur.com/a/kcBMA

I'm currently working on the Layer Up kit and when I'm finished with that one I take some pictures and show you guys.

I also want to say that you guys are, pretty much, the reason I got started doing this and I hate you.

P.S. I don't hate you.

Stick with it. You'll go far.

Ok this is both easier and far more confusing than I thought
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433TfpTq0wM

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Dumping as much of my excess stuff on eBay as possible.
    Keeping hold of the diorama (I'll finish it one day, goddamn it) and my Black Sun Miniatures resin pieces.
    Taking a step back from painting for a little bit.

The decision to shift all my projects has already eased a huge weight from my mind, and has the bonus side effect of (hopefully) funding the home move we'll have to make before too long. Wife pointed out that I always throw myself into new hobbies 150% and burn out after a few years. Looking back, she's right.

I did it with drawing, then Doom mapping (DEU), then Warhammer 40k, then WoW, then Warhammer again. I'm speeding towards 40 and need to learn to be less neurotic (ha, ha).

Expect no new Kneel paintjobs in the near future. But do expect them at some point.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    How much excess miniatures does one need that selling them funds a house move eh!

I hope you'll still hang round these parts in the meantime bro.

Sure; I'll judge from the shadows.

Regarding the funds, the items currently up on eBay amount to around £700, and I've another £200 (ish) worth to put up once I've got packaging for it all.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I really need to start selling some of my shit, I'm just too lazy. Like I'd give it away, I'm just too lazy to bother boxing it up and I'll be damned if I'm taking up my time going to the post office.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Well I should sell a lot of the stuff I ended up with long ago since some of it is doubles {in the case of that demon army} but I really should take inventory of what I have and plan out what I need to get rid off and I would like to keep

I think the solution is simple:
    Everybody here pool our shit together and then ...
    ... HEAT UP THE CAULDRON TO MELT IT ALL DOWN. RETURN TO THE NOTHINGNESS FROM WHENCE YOU CAME, FOUL BEASTS OF CLOSET CLOGGERY.

I really need to start selling some of my shit, I'm just too lazy. Like I'd give it away, I'm just too lazy to bother boxing it up and I'll be damned if I'm taking up my time going to the post office.

Hey man, I'll help you with some of your Infinity Stuff. I'll even bag it up for you! Consider it a wedding present!

Shit, I'd better get you a wedding present.

The post office is the only thing that puts me off. Ours is open, like, half the time and when it's shut I've gotta march two miles up the road to the next nearest one.

But yes, painting! I think I'll pick up a solitary Genestealer and paint it up this weekend (when my kids hog the PC and I'm going mental with boredom). Maybe the classic, blue-purple scheme. Those Vek from 'Into the Breach' have got me all inspired.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I really like selling my converted stuff locally, because then that stuff gets traded around and I’ll spot one of my pieces at a store one day with a sweet paint job. I’ll give discounts on stuff if they keep me updated on finishing it.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    This is nearly done, it looks okay, figure i'd post it. This page is lacking minis.

o9VwX0f.jpg

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    You guys are really making me wish there was a larger secondary market around here.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Yeah I refuse to sell on ebay ever again (too many times ripped off and left with fees, no sale, and no item) and there's not enough hobbyists around to buy my not needed stuff.

Anyone need a bunch of SCE liberators or khorne half from the B&T starter set? :rotate:

steam_sig.png
    J wrote: »
    This is nearly done, it looks okay, figure i'd post it. This page is lacking minis.

o9VwX0f.jpg

Teal and orange, eh? Hmmmmm.
    ;)

Probably my lack of sleep but what's being alluded to here is going over my head.

I keep seeing the term "block" in your colors.

What does that actually mean?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Having your colors 'blocked in' means you're finished basecoating and are ready for shading/highlighting. You could use 'blocking' and 'basecoating' interchangeably.

J wrote: »
    Probably my lack of sleep but what's being alluded to here is going over my head.
    The model I just finished was also teal and orange. <3

Having your colors 'blocked in' means you're finished basecoating and are ready for shading/highlighting. You could use 'blocking' and 'basecoating' interchangeably.

Ok, well that's nice and simple.

I'd thought it was something to do with basing multiple colors on one surface that you'd blend later or something.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »

Ok, well that's nice and simple.

I'd thought it was something to do with basing multiple colors on one surface that you'd blend later or something.

Honestly 'blocking in' really just means that a color is in the right place without much thought for transitions.

This is a really good example.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Curtesy of Nips over in the G&T MechWarrior thread:
    Nips wrote: »
    Oh shit. Not to speed post, but this is topic adjacent enough to warrant it:
    A message from Palladium Books via DriveThruRPG.com.

Liquidating Robotech® products – everything must go by March 31, 2018
    Palladium’s Robotech® license has expired and we must liquidate all remaining stock of Robotech® RPG books and Robotech® RPG Tactics™ (RRT) products by the end of March. Please spread the word. Thank you.

Original Robotech® RPG & Sourcebook PDFs – on sale now – available only until March 31 – DriveThruRPG.com
    PDF books of the original Robotech® Role-Playing Game and sourcebooks from the 1980s and 1990s are on sale on DriveThruRPG.com till March 31, 2018. After that, they will no longer be available. Likewise, we believe Palladium Books will be required to remove even the FREE Robotech® RPG Tactics™ material from DriveThruRPG as we will no longer hold the license. Please get all the items you desire for your personal library before March 31, 2018. After March 31, 2018 ALL Robotech® and RRT material must be taken down from DriveThru.

Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Sale – 60% to 65% off – Spread the word
    Please note: All Robotech® items are available only while supplies last. This is a liquidation sale so some items are likely to sell out. Everything must be sold by March 31, 2018. Please spread the word about our Robotech® liquidation sales. Place your order online at the Palladium website (palladiumbooks.com)

Robotech® RPG Tactics™ (core rules, 35 miniatures – main box game – assembly required) – $34.98 (normal price $99.95) – Cat. No. 55100.
    UEDF Dice Pack (6 dice) – $4.80 (normal price $12.00) – Cat. No. 55101.
    Zentraedi Dice Pack (6 dice) – $4.80 (normal price: $12.00) – Cat. No. 55102.
    RRT Rule Book – $6.00 (normal price $20.00) – Cat. No. 55105.
    Combined Token & Template Pack – $6 (normal price $15.00) – Cat. No. 55106.
    UEDF Valkyrie Wing – $14.78 (normal price $36.95) – Cat. No. 55201.
    UEDF Tomahawk/Defender Destroids – $13.18 – (normal price $32.95) – Cat. No. 55202.
    UEDF Spartan/Phalanx Destroids – $13.18 (normal price $32.95) – Cat. No. 55203.
    Zentraedi Regult Battlepods – $14.78 (normal price $36.95) – Cat. No. 55401.
    Zentraedi Artillery Battlepods – $14.78 – (normal price $36.95) – Cat. No. 55402.
    Zentraedi Glaug Command – $14.78 (normal price $36.95) – Cat. No. 55403.
    Convention Exclusive: Miriya Super Valkyrie NOT on Sale – sorry, limited supply (normal price $22.00 each).
    Convention Exclusive: Breetai NOT on Sale – sorry, limited supply (normal price $22.00 each).
    Convention Exclusive: Grell NOT on Sale – sorry, limited supply (normal price $22.00 each).
    UEDF Token Pack – SOLD OUT – sorry.
    Max Sterling’s Valkyrie Convention Exclusive miniature – SOLD OUT – Sorry.

The UEDF stuff makes for decent stand-ins for Battletech, if a bit oversized. And also being plastic model kits that are 175% a pain in the ass to assemble. But they're pretty good looking, and you'll never find them that cheap again.

The Glaug Command pod is where you find your Marauder, but this fig is wildly out of scale for use in Battletech. That said, it's again a PITA model kit that looks really good assembled.

https://palladium-store.com/1001/category/Robotech-RPG-Tactics.html

Just in case you need a bunch more tiny plastic robots in your "To Be Painted" box.

That's a pretty good price for the kits, although there's only a week left before the remaining stock gets thrown into a chipper/shredder.

• TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    pewpewpewpew
    uho2z4miyw64.jpg
    56n3jdzmdusl.jpg

Are the figures in legion really pre painted/pre coloured?

Brainleech wrote: »
    Are the figures in legion really pre painted/pre coloured?

Definitely not painting, and doubt they're more than grey plastic. Something interesting I learned while looking into this is that they're a larger scale than Imperial Assault, so putting the minis beside each other definitely looks wrong.
    Go figure.

This discussion has been closed.