As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, not a fan.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Why do I feel that the text should've been on the right side?

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I like 'em.

Also, that script has been pretty extensively analysed and translated now, which is cool.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Are you left-handed?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

For all my complaints I think it’s pretty funny that they’re releasing a straight up “All Jace” product.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Are you left-handed?

I'm right handed and i think picture should be on the left. Since I process the regular cards top down, I see the picture first. So when i read a card left to right and the text box is first it's a little strange. But it's not a gigantic deal, just personal preference.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Taramoor wrote: »

For all my complaints I think it’s pretty funny that they’re releasing a straight up “All Jace” product.

That said, the border treatment on these looks awesome. I can't wait for them to do a PW I actually care about. Spellbook: Sorin might break me.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Still waiting for Burtur the Planeswalker to hit the scene. As well as the super situational but totally ineffective spell that requires both of them to cast…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited March 2018
    All kinds of fun Dominaria info up on mtg.com today: mechanics, buy-a-box promo (and early delivery of preorders), rules/frame updates, and the first story entry. (On mobile, so no links right now.)

Tomorrow will be another story and talking about the new "Brawl" format, which is Commander but only using Standard-legal cards. That... kind of misses one of Commander's selling points IMO (your deck doesn't rotate) but will probably be fine on an introductory level.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So what is up with Arena? I don't get it, they already have MTGO. Are they going to stop supporting MTGO and support Arena? What is the difference? Can I transfer over my collection?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Did you ask these questions when they made Duels of the Planeswalkers? Or Magic Duels?

ew9y0DD.png
    edited March 2018
    Kay wrote: »
    Did you ask these questions when they made Duels of the Planeswalkers? Or Magic Duels?

I don't know what those are. I've pretty much only played physical MTG.

Edit: So is Arena just gonna be something that is bought and then there are no packs or anything, just get cards by playing and then play other people?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So what is up with Arena? I don't get it, they already have MTGO. Are they going to stop supporting MTGO and support Arena? What is the difference? Can I transfer over my collection?

Arena is the new mtg game, it's designed to be prettier and mobile friendly and free to play.

They say they won't stop supporting mtgo, but my guess is eventually they will slow support and hope it fades away if arena takes off.

Arena only has amonkhet block and ixalan block atm. They may eventually add old sets to say the start of modern, but that'll be years down the road, it's a program focuses on standard and draft (not in yet)

No you can't transfer over your collection.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Arena is the suits looking at Hearthstone as it compares to MTGO and yelling at wotc to compete in the market

liEt3nH.png
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    IIRC Arena would be only current/new sets, so MTGO will not be going away as it is the only digital place to play Legacy/Vintage, etc.

JPants wrote: »
    IIRC Arena would be only current/new sets, so MTGO will not be going away as it is the only digital place to play Legacy/Vintage, etc.

...non-Brawl Commander.

Let's be honest: the real reason Brawl is a thing is because of Arena.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I'd love to see Commander come over to Arena, personally. Be able to buy the premade decks and then maybe choose just to play with others also using them, for those looking to avoid some of the more competitive EDH people.

I enjoyed Arena a lot when I first got in. This new one after the wipe a little less so. I'm having a MUCH MUCH harder time getting anything close to a deck ready. I much preferred how freely they were giving out things before.

Pauper is fun. 2 wins 1 draw (vs Tron) in the first double up event at GP Amsterdam, playing Mono-B Control. Beat UB Delver and Elves in rounds 2 and 3.

Might play Mono-U Delver in the second one.

ew9y0DD.png
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    'Sup duders? I got all excited with Ixalan because I was like DINOS AND MESOAMERICA which are two of my favorite things and came back to Magic only to find out that my FLGS hosted one of those teenagers at its Standard Showdown. You know the one: tells you your deck sucks as you play, tells you your play sucks as you play, then wanders the store telling other people their decks suck while reciting cards from memory and bragging about his League points.

The good / bad news is I got an Arena invite! So who knows, maybe I can actually get some Magic on.

Some people are super rude. They're usually nowhere as good as they think they are, either, and have no creativity, just playing whatever deck won the last GP with no knowledge of how the deck plays or why the cards that are in the sideboard are there.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Is there a way to talk to management about the kid's behavior? Most shops aren't in the business of letting problem customers chase other customers away.

Definite agree on the theming of the dinos, I forced dinosaurs at every event I played.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Sadly, it's one of those cases where his friends and family are the store regulars. It's ok though! As I said, here's hoping Arena scratches the itch.

• foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    Have dabbled with Magic (physical) in the past with friends. Recently saw that MTG Arena was a thing and got a beta key for it. Having no real knowledge of the meta decks, or card ratings means having a real bad time in Arena at the moment. Apparently there is no MMR pairing, so my weak, pre-made deck is being paired against players with a lot better decks than mine.

Makes it hard to want to keep playing, as I'm not sure where to look for help with making a better deck.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Drafting core 19 with @nexuscrawler in 45 minutes tell me what to get plz @Feral and everyone in the thread

Casual Eddy on
    out of that draft because core 19 is boring BAM

liEt3nH.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    out of that draft because core 19 is boring BAM

I haven't been super impressed so far either, but I imagine it's fine if you're a newer or more casual player who doesn't draft on MTGO every day and listen to a thousand podcasts.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    What helpful posts these were!

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine is starting up a friendly commander league so I picked up the 2017 vampire precon. We played a few games with it and I can see some potential but I’d like to make more consistent. I think I want to steer it in the direction of lifesteal/gain.

Anyway Commander seems like the right format for me because I like the game but I don’t want to have hundreds or thousands of cards I don’t know where to store.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    A friend of mine is starting up a friendly commander league so I picked up the 2017 vampire precon. We played a few games with it and I can see some potential but I’d like to make more consistent. I think I want to steer it in the direction of lifesteal/gain.

Anyway Commander seems like the right format for me because I like the game but I don’t want to have hundreds or thousands of cards I don’t know where to store.

The vampire precon was definitely one of if not the strongest in that set.

There is also a great infinite combo with life gain using Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond.

There is also a great infinite combo with life gain using Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond.

Yeah the vamps deck was scary out of the box and any further refinements (step one: remove curses) just makes it frightening. No need for infinite shenanigans, though. Just get aggressive as hell.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

Yeah the vamps deck was scary out of the box and any further refinements (step one: remove curses) just makes it frightening. No need for infinite shenanigans, though. Just get aggressive as hell.

Yea, the Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond combo is absolutely not necessary in a deck that can be so dominating and aggressive but it can be fun to goof off with.

I always recommend EDHRec when updating decks as well. It is a good site to see what cards are being put into the decks. I've found some cards on there that I would have never though of using for my decks.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Deciding how broken to make a deck is always tough.

I have, on at least one occasion, accidentally included an infinite combo because the individual pieces were already tempting (Time Sieve and Thopter Factory in an artifact deck - I had a bunch of other ways to make artifact tokens).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

I have, on at least one occasion, accidentally included an infinite combo because the individual pieces were already tempting (Time Sieve and Thopter Factory in an artifact deck - I had a bunch of other ways to make artifact tokens).

I put one into my Meren deck by accident since the cards worked so well with her individually. Put Puppeteer Clique, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, and Altar of Dementia into Meren.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I sort of picked the vampire deck on a whim because I already had some vampires that I thought might slot in well. Based on comments here and discussions with my friend, I now realize how powerful it is right out of the box. I've played precisely two games with it, the first game I got mana screwed and the second game I made a lot of mistakes but still won because I was able to snowball out of control early. I'm gonna play a few more as constructed, but then I'll probably start thinking about ways to tweak it.

I think the lifesteal aspect could be interesting because the commander league will probably have 3-4 players per game. So dropping a bomb like malakir bloodwitch is 2-3x as effective, and finding ways to capitalize on things like that would be fun.

I played back in the 90s very casually, somewhat more seriously in college, but still casual. I doubt I will spend tons of money, at least not right now. But I can see a few bucks here and there for things that add a lot of value. There's just a lot of stuff about MTG that I don't know or have not thoroughly explored.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Polaritie wrote: »

I put one into my Meren deck by accident since the cards worked so well with her individually. Put Puppeteer Clique, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, and Altar of Dementia into Meren.

Accidental combos are fine, especially if you need to find multiple pieces and have limited tutoring. Two-card instant-win combos are just cheese that will make some people not want to play with you and the rest will remember the threat and single you out.

Usually if I find an accidental combo or something especially un-fun I'll prune it. Most recentlt this was Charnelhoard Wurm from my Ydris deck. The deck is already obnoxious enough as I put a bunch of Time Walks and Relentless Assaults in, but being able to re-cast them forever (if the Wurm can get through once, it will get through again) was getting old fast.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Are we able to talk about MTG:Arena in here? I've been out of MTG for over a decade, but finally got a beta key... it's fun!

Not sure I want to invest a lot of cash into it, but found a few starter deck builds to play around with and actually won my first couple matches last night in free play.

So, if I were to invest some cash, do I stick with Core Set 2019, and wait for upcoming expansions, or is it worth stepping back and buying packs from previous expansions?

There's going to be another account wipe before they do a full release so don't really worry about what to buy. Just accumulate shit you want to play and experiment with for now, since it'll go away at some uncertain point in the future.

liEt3nH.png
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Are we able to talk about MTG:Arena in here? I've been out of MTG for over a decade, but finally got a beta key... it's fun!

Not sure I want to invest a lot of cash into it, but found a few starter deck builds to play around with and actually won my first couple matches last night in free play.

So, if I were to invest some cash, do I stick with Core Set 2019, and wait for upcoming expansions, or is it worth stepping back and buying packs from previous expansions?

Ixalan and Dominaria are good for another year. Kaladesh and Amonkhet rotate out in October. If you go back, stick with the newer stuff. (Although since it's still in beta who knows.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    There's going to be another account wipe before they do a full release so don't really worry about what to buy. Just accumulate shit you want to play and experiment with for now, since it'll go away at some uncertain point in the future.

By account wipe, do you mean they are going to wipe out any cards that I may have bought, or just my account progress? I assume the latter, since the former would be a little crazy.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    My understanding is it's a full collection/rank wipe, then you get back any gems/other things you bought with real money.