As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Belruel's monster (NSFW?)

BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKSRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Artist's Corner
had a dream where this attacked me, so i have been working on rendering it, and modifying it for fun times.

what i really want to ask you guys is whether i should stick with solid shading like on the boob, or try and do more soft 'realistic' shading?

monster5.png

vmn6rftb232b.png
Belruel on

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Soft and real, that thing has potential to look really fucking scary, don't cartoony it up.

The Black Hunter on
  • UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I agree with The Black Hunter. The stinger seems to go down farther than the legs though.

Uberslug on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    yea, i'll change the stinger a bit later tonight, its angled wrong

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've seen something like this. It was in a Japanese artist's encyclopedia of mythical creatures. It'll be interesting to see where you take this.

Tam on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i prefer the solid, flat tone shading myself.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This has potential. Definitely darken the color pallet and focus on a real grimy, fleshy and bony look is the way I'd go. Good luck with however way you decide to take it.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited December 2007
    Mykonos wrote: »
    This has potential. Definitely darken the color pallet and focus on a real grimy, fleshy and bony look is the way I'd go. Good luck with however way you decide to take it.

i like this idea, i'll play with making her soft fleshy parts look fleshy and grimey, and have her legs be like bones, i'll probably play with the stripes too, make them more like body plating.

have lot's of stuff i have to do right now, but i am going to try and work on it later tonight.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited December 2007
    here is a new piece i did in a few hours with my brand new wacom tablet (oh my god its beautiful). i used this picture to try and get used to the new bigger size and feel of it, my old tablet was small and broken, so braking old habits i had to use to compensate for my old tablet has been interesting.

lakesg6.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    very nice. Don't forget the highlights in the hair though, and you may wanna consider giving the face a bit more form to make it somehwa identifiable. loving the color.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • bluekirbybluekirby Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I actually like solid shading, but you would do well to add some style to it. Don't just follow the normal contours, throw in some crazy edges here and there.
    ---
    waffle.jpg
    Yummah

bluekirby on
    edited December 2007
    the hair is purposefully pitch black and seems to drain any light that touches it, and the face is almost completely obscured by it most of the time, but were it to throw back its head it would have a blank woman's face

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Your light source is high, but underneath the spider it's almost as if it's on the horizon, and on the trees it's coming from a different direction.

piL on
  • (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It looks too awkward. All the weight in the back would make it topple back, lifting its legs off the ground. Unless the back "sack" is very, very light; like a balloon.

EDIT: I'm talking about the green version.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg