As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The End of WiiWare (and the old Virtual Console) is Nigh!

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited March 2018 in Games and Technology

Remember the original Wii? Pretty neat little system in which developers probably overused the remote's waggle at times (I'm looking at you, Twilight Princess!). It was also Nintendo's first proper foray into downloadable games off the internet. First came the Virtual Console, which included games from various consoles from Nintendo and others. And then came WiiWare, which brought us original titles made specifically for the Wii.

It's been almost 12 years since the release of the original Wii, and last September Nintendo announced they would be closing down the Wii Shop. People have until January 30th, 2019 to spend any Wii points they have left on their system. Seems like plenty of time to get any stray games you want, but the cutoff for adding actual Wii Points to your system is this month! March 26th, 2018 at 1 PM PST is the time they've given for cutting off the ability to add Wii Points, so you've got about 2 weeks from the date of this post!

I suspect there aren't many people here who still have an original Wii system hooked up. I still do, though, because I never did move on to the Wii U or the Switch. And I've been picking out games on WiiWare and VC that I want to get before this service closes down. I actually have a lot of fond memories of the Virtual Console stuff because they made available games that had never been released in the US, or were super rare. It's one of two systems you can get the PC-Engine CD-ROM Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, which many consider to be the best of the classic Castlevania titles.

I'm planning on picking up the two Konami ReBirth titles that I didn't buy after picking up Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth, the first being Contra ReBirth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49UhpwZBgI

And the other being Gradius ReBirth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaXuzLg1o40

One game I cannot recommend is Blaster Master: Overdrive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSbslfm3aoE

For some reason, they did not allow Classic Controller support in this game, but still required the use of every button on the Wiimote, including using the B trigger to strafe. I bought the game not long after it came out and played it a little bit, but shelved it until last month. When I came back to it, I realized I just wasn't having fun with it. It sounds like the remake on the Switch is the way to go rather than this one.

Anyway, this thread is mainly to discuss good Wiiware games and Virtual Console titles. Retronauts actually published two articles last year about some of the best Virtual Console and WiiWare games, so be sure to check those out.

RIP to this neat (but flawed) online store.

SteevL on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I'm looking at what I can buy, and I'm spending a lot of money. There is just so much that you can get on the Wii shop that you can't get anywhere else.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This is my tentative list of games I want to buy so far:
    ru7t4bsktj8h.png

DK3, Faxanadu, and the Ghosts n Goblins games are mostly nostalgia for me, so I could see myself removing them.

Also, I just know that my system will crap out once I actually get them all.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    This is my tentative list of games I want to buy so far:
    ru7t4bsktj8h.png

DK3, Faxanadu, and the Ghosts n Goblins games are mostly nostalgia for me, so I could see myself removing them.

Also, I just know that my system will crap out once I actually get them all.

So the only game I added to this list was Super Air Zonk. Today I made the leap and bought 10,000 Wii points so I could buy all of this stuff.

And I realized by the time I bought Faxanadu that I had miscalculated and I was running out of points sooner than expected. I went back to look at my recent purchase history, and it turns out the arcade version of Ghosts 'n Goblins was actually 800 points. All this has meant so far is that I'm not buying Super Air Zonk, but I definitely want to pick out a game worth 500 points first.

Also, Space Invaders Get Even is 500 points initially, and you have to purchase the rest of the game's levels from within the game. Unfortunately, these levels can only be stored on the Wii's internal memory if you want them playable. I barely had any room on there, so I had to move a bunch more VC stuff to my SD card. That was pretty dumb, but not terribly surprising.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I bought some games for Wii VC (most notably Sin & Punishment and Super Mario RPG), but it turns out I just don't love the controllers available. I immediately got farther in SMRPG on the SNES Classic. Hopefully they'll start releasing some of the best VC stuff for Switch once they kill off the Wii VC. Or they'll decide it was a failed experiment and not bother. Who knows...

• Options
    I have two classic controllers, and yeah, I don't love them. I've never tried the pro version, but I can't imagine them being much better. At least I can use my SNES Classic controllers with the Wii, though.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Yeah. I need to get Sin and Punishment.

Retronauts has a list of must haves. I bought some of those a week ago.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The other day I spent my last 500 points on StarTropics II.

Then I added 1000 more points and got Ogre Battle 64, despite not having played the SNES game which I bought last week.

I’m pretty happy to have my Wii points total down to zero, though. I do not miss the days of fake currency and not being able to spend it all.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Whelp. Bought Pulseman and Rondo of Blood on the Virtual console. Thought about getting the Konami rebirth games, but I decided to wait and see if they would come out on the Switch as rumored.

Though I did learn that buying Wii Points with my credit card is an absolute pain.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This really should be in the OP. Can we make it autoplay in the thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avMLHvLwRQ

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Hm, discovered I have 800 points on my Wii, are there any WiiWare games that are 800 points or is it just SNES/Genesis games? I already have most of the top WiiWare games, so if there's nothing good left for 800 I'll just go buy something off the VC (Chrono Trigger? Gunstar Heroes? Something else?).

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    This really should be in the OP. Can we make it autoplay in the thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avMLHvLwRQ

Noted and added!
    Opty wrote: »
    Hm, discovered I have 800 points on my Wii, are there any WiiWare games that are 800 points or is it just SNES/Genesis games? I already have most of the top WiiWare games, so if there's nothing good left for 800 I'll just go buy something off the VC (Chrono Trigger? Gunstar Heroes? Something else?).

I think a lot of the Bit.Trip games on WiiWare are 800 points, but they can all be obtained on Steam now (although apparently some of the later ones suffer from being bad ports).

ActRaiser is another fine SNES game that's 800 points.
    Zython wrote: »
    Whelp. Bought Pulseman and Rondo of Blood on the Virtual console. Thought about getting the Konami rebirth games, but I decided to wait and see if they would come out on the Switch as rumored.

Though I did learn that buying Wii Points with my credit card is an absolute pain.

Yeah, it's so weird! Why do they need my county?
    :+1: to Rondo of Blood. Such a great game.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Oh dang, I totally forgot this was going down tomorrow. On investigation it looks like there isn't anything crucial that I don't already have (and isn't available on Wii U), but I would have been pissed if I hadn't had the chance to take a look before it was too late.

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen is the main one I would recommend to people (and Ogre Battle 64, too, if you don't have a Wii U). I'll never stop holding a torch for that series; there's really nothing else quite like it.

Do we know when or if we'll lose the Wii U VC discounts for already owning a game on the Wii VC? There are a couple I'll probably want to take advantage of sooner or later.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I'm pretty sure the only thing we're losing right now is the ability to add points to your account. I'm sure the discounts will remain.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hmmm. Sudden desire to replay Crystal Chronicles My Life as a King and buy all the DLC just because it is going out of reach.

Can’t think off hand of any other wii-ware of note I’ll miss.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, part of me is contemplating adding points to pick up My Life as a King and My Life as a Darklord, but eh. Would I even play them at this point? And the two of them together cost 2500 points, so I'd have to buy 3000 points and figure out some NES game to spend the rest of those points on.

• Options
    Dark lord is alright but pretty forgettable.

King was a pretty unique and great game though.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Turns out I had 500 points on my balance.

And 600 points of My Life as a King DLC to buy...

Curse you minimum 1000 point purchase!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Well...it happened. :sniff:

• Options

I think we're supposed to be able to add Wii points for another hour and a half or so, but yeah, I think I am done. Not going to bother with My Life As A King/Darklord.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    SteevL wrote: »

I think we're supposed to be able to add Wii points for another hour and a half or so, but yeah, I think I am done. Not going to bother with My Life As A King/Darklord.

I thought of getting those two games too, but I don't think I can do it if it means Wii points being scarce now. I gotta spend them wisely.

Bartholamue on