As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Wasn't McCabe also essentially retired anyway? Like, he stopped actually working a few weeks ago? Yeah, I hope he sues the fuck out of these guys.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    McCabe talk in Russia investigation thread please

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/17/john-mcentee-white-house-return-trump-468674

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Trump is super-grumpy that his favorite gopher got the boot. I can’t imagine him getting kicked out and then immediately brought back on unless he knows something or Trump likes him enough that he threatened Kelly or something.
    A second administration official and a person close to the White House confirmed that aides have talked about rehiring McEntee, though it’s unclear how advanced those discussions are.

White House aides were shocked when McEntee, one of Trump’s most trusted aides, was let go earlier this week. In a sign of his status with the president, he was immediately hired as a senior adviser for Trump’s reelection campaign.

The exact reasons for McEntee’s dismissal are still unclear, but multiple people familiar with the issue said it pertained to his propensity for high-dollar gambling, as The Washington Post reported Thursday night. The Post noted that the gambling wasn’t illegal, but there were concerns it made McEntee a potential security risk.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Who the hell is Terry M?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Who the hell is Terry M?

McAuliffe

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    McCabe related things go in the Russia investigation thread.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I...don't even know what to make of this story. It's just so bizarre: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/19/trump-cia-gary-cohn-471047
    Former White House economic adviser Gary Cohn reached a tentative agreement with President Donald Trump to become his CIA director — but lost out on the role after Trump abruptly changed his mind.

Cohn, who resigned in early March amid a fight over tariffs, told associates at the time that he would consider rejoining the administration if Trump called and offered him “the right big job,” but he did not elaborate on what that job would be. In fact, according to three people close to the president, Cohn had already talked with Trump about taking the helm of the CIA, a job that suddenly opened up last week when Trump nominated his spy chief, Mike Pompeo, to replace Rex Tillerson as secretary of state.

Trump, these people said, informally offered Cohn the position, telling him he thought he’d be a good fit for the job, and Cohn had agreed to take it. Trump long ago decided that Pompeo would replace Tillerson as secretary of state, and the president in recent weeks had bounced off his closest external advisers the idea of sending Cohn to the CIA. It is unclear why Trump decided to change course at the last minute, but last week he named Pompeo’s deputy Gina Haspel to the CIA role instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    WTF? Why would you put a Goldman Sachs suit in charge of the CIA? There's like no connection here.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    WTF? Why would you put a Goldman Sachs suit in charge of the CIA? There's like no connection here.

Cohn quit so he gets the Christie treatment.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ben Carson and Shulkin are probably getting the boot.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/22/mcmaster-firing-trump-officials-cabinet-482165
    President Donald Trump’s decision to abruptly fire national security adviser H.R. McMaster surprised senior White House aides who had been preparing a single statement announcing the departure of multiple top Trump officials, according to two senior administration officials.

White House chief of staff John Kelly and other top aides were waiting for inspector general reports that they believed would deliver devastating verdicts on Veteran Affairs Secretary David Shulkin and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, who have both been accused of racking up extravagant expenses. They were also debating whether several senior White House aides, including McMaster, should go with them.

It’s unclear which other West Wing officials were possibly set to depart with McMaster, but the two senior administration officials said they believed it would be easier to manage the optics if multiple firings were made public in a single statement instead of drawn out. The announcement, though, was not expected for at least another week.

Trump, however, upended those plans late Thursday, firing McMaster and offering his job to former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton in a move that surprised not only his top advisers — but also Bolton himself.

[...]

The ouster of McMaster also throws into disarray the still-forming plans to oust multiple top officials in one swoop. Shulkin has long been viewed negatively by senior West Wing aides because he has repeatedly said he has been given the blessing of the White House to purge insolent VA staffers, even though he's been given no such approval, according to one administration official. Carson, meanwhile, has been seen as largely ineffective at running a large federal agency, but senior administration officials and others close to the White House say Trump aides harbor reservations about ousting him because he is the only black cabinet member.

[...]

This isn't a huge surprise given that they are both involved in pretty classical political scandals.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I wonder what the difference between their scandals and Pruitt's, that there's talk about him being promoted instead of pilloried

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I wonder what the difference between their scandals and Pruitt's, that there's talk about him being promoted instead of pilloried

If there is any truth to the rumors about the end-around Sessions then as a Senate confirmed lawyer Pruitt is an indispensable cabinet member.

Also, they couldn't give two shits about the EPA

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Conventional wisdom is Pruitt was spreading the promotion rumors himself.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I am

Straight up

Motherfucking

Scared shitless at John Bolton as fucking NSA

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

If there is any truth to the rumors about the end-around Sessions then as a Senate confirmed lawyer Pruitt is an indispensable cabinet member.

You need the advice and consent of the Senate for every appointment. It's not like you can just play musical chairs in the Cabinet room after everyone gets their first approval.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

You need the advice and consent of the Senate for every appointment. It's not like you can just play musical chairs in the Cabinet room after everyone gets their first approval.

Not while you're just Acting Director, which (so the theory goes) Pruitt could be long enough to shut down the special counsel investigation without first submitting to Senate confirmation. But granted that kind of scheming may be beyond Trump's capabilities.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wonder if the IC is going to try and go around him. He’s not very well-liked anywhere except for Trump’s head.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I think they can legally take up the Acting Cabinet Position, though.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I am

Straight up

Motherfucking

I wonder if I should have a bug out bag and a few gas cans ready. I always thought that was ridiculous, and yet...

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I am

Straight up

Motherfucking

I wonder if I should have a bug out bag and a few gas cans ready. I always thought that was ridiculous, and yet...

Iran deal is dead, man. This is going to get bad fast.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I am

Straight up

Motherfucking

"Ann Frank Room" in our condo still a standing offer.

Given Bolton as NSA, Coats as the current DNI, Pompeo at State, and Director Torture Blacksite at CIA, Rick Perry still somehow in charge of DoE, &c. the only people on the National Security Council who are not actively promoting a war with Iran are Mattis and the Chair of the Joint Chiefs.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I would get out of Seoul fast, because Bolton doesn't give a shit about it. It's his stated position!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    With McMaster gone, Mattis is on borrowed time.

• Options

“It won’t be as bad as you imagine. He will have sensible people around him to keep him on the leash”

—a fucking idiot, circa November 2016

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Couscous wrote: »
    senior administration officials and others close to the White House say Trump aides harbor reservations about ousting him because he is the only black cabinet member.[/b]

[...]

This isn't a huge surprise given that they are both involved in pretty classical political scandals.

I mean, you're allowed to hire new minority cabinet members

it's not like Carson is the only person they could hire

a quick Google search tells me there are at least 42 million other black people no less qualified for the job than he was

Atomika on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Atomika wrote: »
    senior administration officials and others close to the White House say Trump aides harbor reservations about ousting him because he is the only black cabinet member.[/b]

[...]

a quick Google search tells me there are at least 42 million other black people no less qualified for the job than he was

Hey now, that's not true. Some of those 42 million people are too young to possess the motor skills to sign checks for extravagant purchases.

shryke on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey guys, I know Bolton as NSA advisor is terrible news but let's keep the EVACUATE THE CITIES chatter to a minimum, OK?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    It's hard to believe this was just a week ago.

Just spoke to @POTUS and Gen. H.R. McMaster - contrary to reports they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the NSC.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

[...]

Ah, but how many of those minorities are die hard Republicans?

I think Steele, the former RNC chief not the spy, spoke out against Trump so he's now a RINO. Think that eliminates like 50% of the potential replacements right there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    It's hard to believe this was just a week ago.

Just spoke to @POTUS and Gen. H.R. McMaster - contrary to reports they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the NSC.

Unfortunately it’s really not, though

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So apparently this is a thing:
    Trump is envisioning a White house that circumvents his chief of staff.
    It's not that much of a surprise that Donald is making a move like this; he struggles with firing people but at the same time has been dealing with the equivelant of "step dad" syndrome due to how Kelly has been cutting into the flow of BS into trump's ear and trying to curb his worst impulses.

As an aside: There have been at this point 23 firings of white house staff since trump took office 14 months ago. Fucking schizophrenics have a more clear vision of what they want to do then this administration!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    He had a WH that essentially didn’t have a chief of staff when Priebus was there, because Priebus let Trump do whatever.

I guess he wants that back.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    In case you missed it, the CIA is actively campaigning for Haspel

It goes on for about another dozen posts.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I... are agencies allowed to politically campaign?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

It's not a political campaign in the traditional sense, so sure. But "hey, Congress, appoint as our head the person who helped cover up our crimes" is a tad disgusting.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    And who's going to do anything about it anyway?

The level of cynical nihilism required to employ feminist messaging in favor of a war criminal is really on brand for the agency though.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

It's not a political campaign in the traditional sense, so sure. But "hey, Congress, appoint as our head the person who helped cover up our crimes" is a tad disgusting.

It's public facing political advertising for a political appointee. If this is acceptable, would the CIA publicly campaigning for or against, say, supreme court appointments also be acceptable?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

It's public facing political advertising for a political appointee. If this is acceptable, would the CIA publicly campaigning for or against, say, supreme court appointments also be acceptable?

I mean to my understanding the CIA has campaigned for a lot of political stations... just generally not here.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

“It won’t be as bad as you imagine. He will have sensible people around him to keep him on the leash”

—a fucking idiot, circa November 2016

Conversely, I actually thought the 'sensible' people would make it worse. I thought Trump couldn't be quite as nuts as he seemed, but would be perceived to be (or driven) utterly mad by the stresses of the role of President and would thus continuously destroy every aspect of his own policies and Republican priorities in his flailing. He would, thusly, be reigned in and made a standard 'business first, plus a smattering of extra racism' guy by other rich people who would tell him what a big money making chance this was.

But, the longer it goes on, the more I realize that Trump is as bad as the most hyperbolic man screaming in the street with a board on his chest said he was. He's not even just a greedy billionaire with no morals like I thought he was. He's actively chaotic evil, reveling in the destruction he does.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.