As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    My only worry with power washing it yourself is that you're going to blow all that crap onto the walls and yourself. Get a professional to do it if it isn't that much money. At least they'll have protective gear.

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    My only worry with power washing it yourself is that you're going to blow all that crap onto the walls and yourself. Get a professional to do it if it isn't that much money. At least they'll have protective gear.

Ideally they'd start with one of the big floor scrubbing brushes to get 95% of the shit off and out, then give the walls and corners of the floor a touch up with the wand (with the power shut off to the building, of course. I'd personally bleach the shit out of the walls and floor after that, and once it's dry give the concrete floor a coat or two of sealant, and repaint the walls. Place would be habitable then.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    make sure to record it because it is satisfying as fuck to watch it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, I'll add it to my ever-growing list of things to do.

Before I try anything I need to trace back where the power to there is coming from so that I can actually shut it off if it's on. I've got two power cables coming from the distribution board under the stairs that go outside but neither actually make their way to that outhouse. They seem to terminate randomly in the murder room.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I know the thread moved on a bit but I think we landed our current place because our realtor told them we were a "family looking for a bigger home". I think they did get a few other offers but were from a group that buys and then rents out homes. There's a few in the area. One is currently occupied by my daughter's friends and their family and that's awesome. However, there is another that has been empty probably since about the time we moved in back in July.

A few of our offers were from companies; one known for renting and the others known for flipping. Honestly, if we didn't get the highest offer we did accepted, probably would have dropped all the way to the 3rd best offer because it was not that much less than the 2nd and was from people looking for house, not a company looking for a profit.

Didn't get a damn thing done to the house this weekend. Too much other stuff going on. Might try to work on those light installations throughout the week. I also realized I should add another smoke detector to the band practice room since it's going to be behind a solid core door that's going to be closed almost all the time.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    What do you folks use for security cameras? We're thinking of getting a few (both indoor and outdoor) and I was all set to go with Nest before I saw there's some cheaper options I've really never heard of...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    What do you folks use for security cameras? We're thinking of getting a few (both indoor and outdoor) and I was all set to go with Nest before I saw there's some cheaper options I've really never heard of...

Depending on your budget, you might find these agreeable:

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifivideo

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I like the Nest cam a lot, but it did cost a pretty penny and you have to get the monthly service for it to be really useful.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I got an Blink XT. So far just playing around with it but seems good.

Will probably mount it by our back door.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Example of powerwashing fun!

bp8go7msglft.jpg

That was an incredibly satisfying chore.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That transformation is beautiful!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    yea it blew my mind. That was last fall, a couple days after the powerwashing it was stripped and stained, and still holding strong so far.

That's a pretty remarkable change. So, any pics of how it looks all nicely stained now?

I should have done before and after pics of the powerwashing I did to the front porch and driveway of the last place to get it ready to sell. I was pretty shocked to see the difference. Of course, by the time I was completely done I couldn't see the difference because it was 10PM. And it all ended up being moot anyhow. Our realtor pictures were taken in the rain and it was raining throughout all our showings too. Ah well; hope the new owners enjoyed it when it did clear up.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There is so much dog shit in the snow in my back yard.

I fear it

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    So my fridge is making a loud knocking sound randomly. It's sort of a knock-knock-knock, metallic sounding thing, that seems to happen randomly. It's the fridge in my condo that I'm now renting to my brother, so I'd like to take care of it if I can.

I lived in that condo with that fridge for seven years and it had never made this sound before. I only noticed it around Christmas after I had cleared everything out of the condo (I was trying to sell it). So, it was completely empty and I thought maybe that had something to do with it--working more/less to maintain cold, etc. But now that my brother's moved in and filled it with his food and stuff, it's still making the sound. I was over at the condo last night for about twenty minutes and heard it go off again (he says it does it randomly throughout the day).

Does anyone have any ideas what might be up? I'll probably end up having to call someone in, but I'd like to get some sort of idea of what to expect or some guidance to give the service people when I call around. I don't remember what brand of fridge it is. It's one of the smaller apartment-sized ones (a regular fridge, though--not a little bar fridge), and it's probably not super old, since it's black body with brushed metal front finishing, and that's a "newer" stylistic choice. It's definitely not the original fridge with the condo but I don't think it was brand new when I bought the place in 2010.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sounds like either the compressor has come loose on its mount, or an internal part of the compressor is worn out of tolerance and is banging against something it should not be while the pump is running.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I went downstairs last night to find something, only to discover giant pools of water on the basement floor. It turns out the drain pipe for the kitchen sink had been leaking for an unknown amount of time. I manage to get it all cleaned up, but the leak seems to be behind the false wall under the sink, in one of the old iron pipes.

Waiting for the plumber to arrive some time in the next hour. Could have been a lot worse, but still not a lot of fun.

8406wWN.png
    Sounds like either the compressor has come loose on its mount, or an internal part of the compressor is worn out of tolerance and is banging against something it should not be while the pump is running.

Are those costly/difficult things to remedy?

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Ugh home insurance

I called the company that insures my car and they were like oh we don’t like that type of roof.

Meanwhile I’m trying to get helpful information about the house from my real estate agent such as “when was it built” and “when was the electrical last updated” and you would think he would have this information ready as he must know insurance companies will ask and I obviously need insurance.

But he did tell me where the previous owner insured the house and the policy number so hopefully I can find out what I need to know to get a quote.

I just want to skip ahead to the part where I get to move in.

LaOs wrote: »

If it's just that the compressor has come loose, the service tech can tighten it back up.

If the compressor is rooted, then you're looking at a new fridge.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

If it's just that the compressor has come loose, the service tech can tighten it back up.

If the compressor is rooted, then you're looking at a new fridge.

Does it have an ice maker?

Whenever my old fridge knocked, a piece of ice was wedged in the little .... ice shooting gizmo.

Not the exterior ice shooting gizmo, but the internal one that shoots the newly minted cubes into the hopper that is then fed to the outside

My icemaker isn't hooked up and at some point the lever got flipped to the on position. It took forever to pinpoint the grinding. I had initially thought it was the compressor.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I think it was @bowen who recomended I get a swazall too. Well..

3f4bsxk0xozr.jpg
    That is a 15" ruler.

I'm ripping out the wood shelves in our back closet/mini Toys'R'Us, painting, and installing wire shelving in there. So naturally the best way to remove mounted shelving was a giant saw.

Edit: this is going to take awhile...
    f5ekh7by1axg.jpg
    vcfgapxlopit.jpg

MichaelLC on
    Awesome-ing for the new toy, but uhm, wouldn't it be less destructive to just unscrew the brackets holding up the shelves and pull them down the boring way? Unless you're talking about sawing the hell out of them once they're already down, in which case saw on.

Probably go to town on them while on the wall until I get a splinter in my eye, then unscrew. 8-)

But yeah, mainly to cut down to size for disposal.

I'll have to have someone come look at it, I guess. There is no ice maker, but I don't know if the compressor is loose or hooped.

I'll have to have someone come look at it, I guess. There is no ice maker, but I don't know if the compressor is loose or hooped.

Can you get a look behind or under the machine? Even just a flashlight and mirror to see if something looks detached? Might save some time in diagnosis.

I'll see if maybe my bro wouldn't mind if I popped over this weekend and we'll see what we can see.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    haha another "new homeowner" thing...

i unpacked a room in the basement today. It was an all day, unpack, find a spot, organize day.

and I left a thing on the ground and when i went to leave the room, i stepped on it. It popped out and hit the wall.

...I heard SOMETHING behind the wall rattle, and fall. There's no door. There's no anything. It's just a wall.

...some someday, at some point, I really should find out what just happened back there But today I am not experienced enough nor have the tools to figure it out.

So it will just gnaw at me.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Could have just been a little piece of scrap wood... or like the real original copy of the Declaration of Independence.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    It's totally a diamond the size of your fist.

(it's probably just a little bit of plaster or something that chipped off the inside and fell)

Yea I've found old wire nuts, spare fasteners and once, a screwdriver left in a wall.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I went downstairs last night to find something, only to discover giant pools of water on the basement floor. It turns out the drain pipe for the kitchen sink had been leaking for an unknown amount of time. I manage to get it all cleaned up, but the leak seems to be behind the false wall under the sink, in one of the old iron pipes.

Waiting for the plumber to arrive some time in the next hour. Could have been a lot worse, but still not a lot of fun.

I've had something similar happen. A pvc pipe had popped out of its' connector. Just plugged it back in and resealed it. Well, I say 're' but it looks like it may never have been sealed in the first place; the previous owner's approach to plumbing has been a bit of a challenge for us. The cleanup was the worst, I mean at least it wasn't sewage but puddles of nasty old food material etc was no treat to clean.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's a skeleton!

webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea I've found old wire nuts, spare fasteners and once, a screwdriver left in a wall.

Crawling around under the floor here running cat-6 I found broken teacups, a bricklayer's trowel and a torn-off corner of a newspaper presumably left behind by the builders.

There was also a bunch of LEGO and a toy car or two which presumably fell victim to the cracks in the floorboards.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    So if you've got scaffolding up around your house it's normal to be tempted to climb it, right?

eHf0mRfl.jpg

120 year old tiles sure make a mess when they come down

V8Rzksbl.jpg

This is where I realise I've hired trustworthy roofers, because they told me that out of the 6 skylights only 1 had the proper amount of flashing so they'd need to be redone. And yep, that explains why both of these piss water through when the rain is coming at just the right angle. From this side you can see straight through where there should be lead covering the gap.

bAmsACZl.jpg

This is the final lot of tiles to come off. They've only stopped removing today because it's getting dangerous up there. The scaffolding is just covered in stacks of tiles and the old batons so they're having a tidy-up day getting stuff down the winch, into the van and then to the skip. From this vantage point I can see the cause of the 4 leaks that were on this elevation alone.

As a bonus of this I got to check on the three chimneys and they aren't in as bad a state as I thought. I think can get away with not getting those re-pointed as they seem to be pretty solid. Well, apart from the one that was where I'm stood here - I got them to rip that down as there's nothing below them and there was a tree growing out of it.

Please nobody narc on me to my wife.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2018
    So if you've got scaffolding up around your house it's normal to be tempted to climb it, right?

eHf0mRfl.jpg

V8Rzksbl.jpg

This is where I realise I've hired trustworthy roofers, because they told me that out of the 6 skylights only 1 had the proper amount of flashing so they'd need to be redone. And yep, that explains why both of these piss water through when the rain is coming at just the right angle. From this side you can see straight through where there should be lead covering the gap.

bAmsACZl.jpg

This is the final lot of tiles to come off. They've only stopped removing today because it's getting dangerous up there. The scaffolding is just covered in stacks of tiles and the old batons so they're having a tidy-up day getting stuff down the winch, into the van and then to the skip. From this vantage point I can see the cause of the 4 leaks that were on this elevation alone.

As a bonus of this I got to check on the three chimneys and they aren't in as bad a state as I thought. I think can get away with not getting those re-pointed as they seem to be pretty solid. Well, apart from the one that was where I'm stood here - I got them to rip that down as there's nothing below them and there was a tree growing out of it.

I'm calling her right now

Raijin Quickfoot on

Nooo! I need my kneecaps, Raijin.

Nooo! I need my kneecaps, Raijin.

CONSIDER THEM GONE

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

eHf0mRfl.jpg

V8Rzksbl.jpg

bAmsACZl.jpg

article-0-1AE6D7E9000005DC-295_634x421.jpg

This discussion has been closed.