As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Disciples of the Void drops April 5'th.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    At least they've committed to a date now. Still have no idea what's coming next though, you'd think by this point they'd be able to tell us something about the cycle after this.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Disciples of the Void confirmed to have a street date of April 5th.

They need to announce what's next after that soon, I feel.

Edit: Ghosted, Hard.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Considering this is the L5R thread, more like "shinobi'd"

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Look, we all have our traditions, and I'm gonna maintain them. Ghosting is a great honor to its originator, Grunt's Ghosts. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited March 2018
    They also put up a article talking about the Disciples launch event. Okay, THOSE extended arts make up for the previous ones.

I don't think Path of Man was spoiled yet, but I think that's the first four influence card, right?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    It is, yeah. Unsure if it's good enough to see play, but a card for 2 fate is not bad, and it's a trigger on Shrine Maiden (yay more kiho!). Love the art.

Also really like the stronghold/role alt-art card, would definitely use.

edited March 2018
    Sounds like there's a Asmodee presentation going on at GAMA, and a Elemental Championship tournament series got announced. Which looks like the Regionals-equivalent?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    New article up, talking about the non-Phoenix cards in Disciples.

persona4celestia.jpg
    As usual, I like the Unicorn card for its versatility, and I really, REALLY like the Guardian Kami card.

edited March 2018
    Honestly both of those Kami cards will see play, they're good Conflict characters and a ring effect in the middle of a combat can be key, especially if you're going to lose it anyway. Water and Fire are the most obvious, but all of them are great targets. Note, however, if you're playing Support of the Phoenix, you get neither! Going to make taking that role even harder.

tzeentchling on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So I can claim Water, and then just keep it for next turn to keep Prodigy online? OMG

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited March 2018
    New article: Immovable Power, talking about Disciples a bit more.

It's Tadaka Time.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I finally got to play my first game last night with a guy willing to help teach me!
    I threw together all my Phoenix cards (1 core, and 3 Dynasty packs) and lots of Neutrals. He was playing Scorpion :-1: but I had some fun anyway. I won a few conflicts, which felt good. I learned to read my cards (like Assassination can only hit cost 2 or less!). Second core is getting delivered tomorrow, and I'm really excited to try building another deck to see how other clans play.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Tadaka is a beast but you really only want to see him turn 3, maybe turn 2 at the earliest. Also gives more reasons to play Magnificent Lighthouse.

That Protector monk is also very good.
    His BASE stats become a copy of the CURRENT stats of any character, which means you get all their boosts and bonuses, and then you get to add your own. That's crazy!

I just bought this so hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hfhdlgI48s

And there's the mythical Lion card from Disciples that's been hiding. Lion Character: Ikoma Tsanuri.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Store finally got in our Q1 kits!

... Holy shit am I gonna be busy. We got the base, 3 booster kits, and 3 battle for the stronghold kits. So.. I can pretty much run shit for the next year off all that swag.

Sadly, the best items are VERY limited. An acryllic honor dial and 2 playmats with all the champions on them.

Athenor wrote: »
    I just bought this so hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hfhdlgI48s

These are absolutely beautiful, but at $70 that's a bit pricey for some game tokens. I still want them though!

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited April 2018
    Oh no!

Katrina was very much one of the things that made me trust the last year of L5R.

Now? Now I'm starting to worry. FFG has been hemorrhaging talent for the last year or two, which doesn't bode well for the company...

Edit: Sounds like she is planning on freelancing for FFG. Just won't have final say.

Athenor on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Got to play more games last night. Since I'm a little more familiar with the rules now, we were able to crank out two games in two hours which was nice.
    I got my 2nd core set in last week, so I told my daughter all the clan animals to pick which deck to build next (obviously, when I get to UNICORN at the end, it was over). Ended up the guy I was meeting to play was also running Unicorn+Lion! So we had a fun couple of matches. I lost both, but the second game I played a lot better for the most part. I had a couple of huge combats primed for For Greater Glory. I forget what happened to the first one, but the second time he had that talisman that lets you move the conflict location and sent me to the Public Forum, so I didn't break anything and couldn't FGG and I was sad.
    But overall, I really like Unicorn even if they aren't the best (i.e. the worst?).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Six straight weeks of releases again?

Yep, I'm out. I'll probably pick up the clan packs to give myself a good card base for casual play, but the dynasty pack schedule is silly.

edited April 2018
    I'm... honestly not seeing it. Especially since it doesn't seem to be starting until Q3... so July? We're basically going six months without a new release other than the Phoenix clan pack.

I do wonder if that's going to be the new standard now, with a larger down-period between cycles. Maybe not this long, but at least a couple of months.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    It seems to only be a standard for this game. Maybe they are worried about the meta not shifting enough?

Right, I meant specifically for L5R. It's possible they're doing it again just to get things rolling again after the downtime.

The true most important part of the announcement:

Aubzvhr.png

Prepare your butts, kids.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I'm surprised and yet not that Mantis cards are neutral. If they ever get their own strongholds, I'm sure it will say that for deckbuilding purposes the cards are considered in-clan. Same with Shadowlands?

But wasn't the downtime because they did it this way last time? We are getting into a pattern where there is a large purchase every few months instead of $15 every month. That's going to hurt pockets and the six months between releases is going to make people lose interest.

Tomanta wrote: »
    But wasn't the downtime because they did it this way last time? We are getting into a pattern where there is a large purchase every few months instead of $15 every month. That's going to hurt pockets and the six months between releases is going to make people lose interest.

That's definitely the concern floating around. And one I share - twice a year product releases doesn't feel fast, and can be expensive -- nevermind that you don't have to pick up everything, the model encourages a collector's mentality.

Still, if this is about controlling the meta properly, we'll see. Q3 just seems a long time off.

The cost argument is completely illusory. The cost is the same.

I think it makes sense as having longer periods with a stable card pool lets you have an actual meta.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Cost is illusory, I'll agree, but when you spread out over six months instead of six weeks there is a difference in how people spend their money even if the total is the same at the end of the year.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Cost isn't illusory for the cash strapped younger folks who want to compete in the meta but have to run with 1/6 the card pool upgrade while moneybags like me just buy everything and tune.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Cost isn't illusory for the cash strapped younger folks who want to compete in the meta but have to run with 1/6 the card pool upgrade while moneybags like me just buy everything and tune.

It's the same cost. Set aside the 15 bucks each month for 5 months before release and it's exactly the same as if they had come out once a month.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    It's the same cost, but it's definitely not. Saying "You have to budget to play this game like any other LCG." is non-trivial, and denying that is ... weird?

The ninjas seem to be at it again. Over in the Drawn to the Flame article, there's a new Scorpion ninja from the upcoming cycle replacing the Crane card.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Also all the Core Set fiction got collected into a large free PDF eBook called First Scroll, in case anyone wants to get caught up.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Also the Rules Reference got updated:

persona4celestia.jpg