As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Are the figures in legion really pre painted/pre coloured?

Definitely not painting, and doubt they're more than grey plastic. Something interesting I learned while looking into this is that they're a larger scale than Imperial Assault, so putting the minis beside each other definitely looks wrong.
    Go figure.

*imagines in 10 years where multiple games that only last 1-3 years putting out different scale stormtrooper minis to keep from eating their own lunches until it looks like the evolution chart of man and were moving half scale pieces of plastic around a field*

edit: well this was a terrible totp reminding me to finish my project before p100.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Does anyone varnish their GW mini's when they're done painting?

Should I be varnishing?

What kind of varnish does one use and how is it applied?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I airbrush vallejo matt over mine. Easy and nice and matt. Also used tamiya on my gundam.

Should you be varnishing? Well maybe. I do it so that the finish is uniform. Folks that game with their minis probably hit them with gloss first then matt as they take more abuse.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Gloss then decals and weathering (if any) and then matte is my go to for any model that’s going to be handled a lot.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Another perk of varnish is that it tends to be UV resistant so if your minis spend any time in direct sunlight it's a must.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Varnish is definitely a “apply two thin coats” type of material though. Slop that stuff on and it’s gonna turn cloudy and look like your valiant soldiers have been fighting a long filthy war on the semenis extremis death world.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Look, man. If I want my minis to look covered in semen it's my business how I go about it.

• Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular

Nah. I started getting my Legion stuff in and can confirm they are grey plastic. It's similar to the stuff Privateer Press uses for WarmaHordes. Softer than GW, but not quite as rubbery as the Imperial Assault figs. The only thing that is colored are the bases. The Imperial stuff has dark grey bases, and the Rebels have rust colored ones.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Varnish is definitely a “apply two thin coats” type of material though. Slop that stuff on and it’s gonna turn cloudy and look like your valiant soldiers have been fighting a long filthy war on the semenis extremis death world.

You've got to fight Slaanesh whenever and wherever Slaanesh rises.

• Options
    TacoForce wrote: »

Nah. I started getting my Legion stuff in and can confirm they are grey plastic. It's similar to the stuff Privateer Press uses for WarmaHordes. Softer than GW, but not quite as rubbery as the Imperial Assault figs. The only thing that is colored are the bases. The Imperial stuff has dark grey bases, and the Rebels have rust colored ones.

Thats a shame. How are the details?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    On the subject of varnish, if you have an airbrush, I absolutely recommend Schmincke Soft Touch varnish.
    This stuff is just amazing. Doesn't require thinning, and produces a finish that seems to combine the best aspects of matt and satin. It's also very durable for a non-spray varnish.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’ve been assembling a bunch of bloodletters and goddamn but do cats like chewing on those swords. Something about a model holding up a sword just draws them like magnets. I’m gonna have to end up replacing half these things now.

I literally woke up this morning and the line of freshly assembled models the night before were all standing on my table with with mangled, chewed up weapons. Guess those guys are getting axes now.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    On the subject of varnish, if you have an airbrush, I absolutely recommend Schmincke Soft Touch varnish.
    This stuff is just amazing. Doesn't require thinning, and produces a finish that seems to combine the best aspects of matt and satin. It's also very durable for a non-spray varnish.

I DO indeed have an airbrush... I'll add that varnish to my to-buy list.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The new Morathi kit is very cool, even if it is kind of a pain to assemble and I expect transporting it to be a major headache! I'm not very good at painting big old bat wings, but I did my best.

fqnH77q.jpg?1
    TSBADIc.jpg?1
    miIhcFE.jpg?1
    aYW0BoC.jpg?1
    c1r6NWV.jpg?1
    Cfn8yZq.jpg?1

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm having such a hard time figuring out the color schemes for my Knights of the Holy Cog list. (AdMech Dragoons meets Imperial Knights with a heavy Bretonnian Inspiration). It has three Imperial Knights (large walkers) and 6 dragoons (AdMech soldiers mounted on two legged walkers with giant lances) and 6 units of troops. In my fluff each dragoon raises their own group of soldiers, so each dragoon will match 1 group of 5 soldiers. The dragoons will fight together in one six man unit, but I want each to have a different scheme like the old Grail Knights from warhammer fantasy.

Trying to find that right balance between unique enough to make them look like different houses, but cohesive enough to feel like I actually have one themed army.

So far my best idea is this:

I'll operate primarily out of the Red, Yellow, Blue triad. Just loud primary as fuck colors, very knightly. All the colors will be quartered, split up either via divisions in armor plates, or by left arm, right pant leg, etc on infantry

The upper house (The Imperial Knights) get two colors, befitting their higher status:
    Crusader Knight: Yellow and Blue
    1st Armiger: Yellow and Red
    2nd Armiger: Red and Blue

The Lower Houses (The Dragoons and their raised troops) only get one color, denoting their lower status:
    Red and Black
    Red and White
    Yellow and Black
    Yellow and White
    Blue and Black
    Blue and White

The Priestly House (Dominus, Enginseer, Onager) get no colors, as they support everyone else:

Black and White

Then everyone gets the same steel armor and bionics.

A big debate I'm having is what to do for cabling and like, eye lenses and stuff. Should I give everyone the same cabling and eye lenses? Or should everyone get something from the triad? So like. Yellow infantry would have blue lenses and red cabling. Red infantry would have yellow lenses and blue cabling, or whatever.

Thoughts?

• Options
    Building my new Plagueburst this week, and doing so in components, and I'm thinking it'd be easy to airbrush on leadbelcher on the treads, then highlight.

Do I need to basecoat black/white/whatever with a rattle can before I spray "air" leadbelcher, or can I just spray a base GW paint onto plastic and go from there?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    TacoForce wrote: »

Thats a shame. How are the details?

Pretty decent, actually. Just by the nature of it being Star Wars themed the models won't be as packed with detail as say 40k or something. But, so far everything is good quality, mold lines are minimal (thank the Maker), and it all feels appropriately Star Wars-y.

Unpainted / still somewhat not fully glued speeder bike for reference:
    vuzh9cack9th.jpg
    fx50hkbacg2i.jpg
    1jgmxmamakor.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Building my new Plagueburst this week, and doing so in components, and I'm thinking it'd be easy to airbrush on leadbelcher on the treads, then highlight.

Do I need to basecoat black/white/whatever with a rattle can before I spray "air" leadbelcher, or can I just spray a base GW paint onto plastic and go from there?

You pretty much always need primer, no matter what top coat(s) you’re using. Especially on larger models and conversions where you might have different colours of putty and filler etc. — those can show through if you just go straight to your main colours.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    The new Morathi kit is very cool, even if it is kind of a pain to assemble and I expect transporting it to be a major headache! I'm not very good at painting big old bat wings, but I did my best.
    fqnH77q.jpg?1
    TSBADIc.jpg?1
    miIhcFE.jpg?1
    aYW0BoC.jpg?1
    c1r6NWV.jpg?1
    Cfn8yZq.jpg?1

How big is that model? It looks huge

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    fqnH77q.jpg?1
    TSBADIc.jpg?1
    miIhcFE.jpg?1
    aYW0BoC.jpg?1
    c1r6NWV.jpg?1
    Cfn8yZq.jpg?1

How big is that model? It looks huge

The base is the 100mm one, so pretty big, I believe she was intentionally designed to be at about the same height as Alarielle, the other currently available aelven god in AoS, if that helps? I'd estimate she's probably pretty close to flying hive tyrant sized, more or less, a bit taller than that maybe.

• Options
    Shitty photo of Vader also in the Legion thread:

9GQASVjl.jpg

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    God, I hate you so much.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I find your lack of self confidence disturbing.

Legion looks neat, but I'd probably go Empire and painting all of those white Stormtrooper models seems like it would end me.

• Options

Legion looks neat, but I'd probably go Empire and painting all of those white Stormtrooper models seems like it would end me.

That's why you go "Smart Empire" and don't paint your elite ground troops in shiny white armor, instead opting for something with a bit more camouflage capability like literally anything else.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

That's why you go "Smart Empire" and don't paint your elite ground troops in shiny white armor, instead opting for something with a bit more camouflage capability like literally anything else.

Like this?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Like this?

Are you telling me you'd shoot at the bright pink 3 foot tall storm trooper?

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Like this?

I'd shoot extra at the bright pink ones. Just to be sure.

Call it the Phasma Effect: Whichever ones are in the distinguishing armor, blast them first.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

Like this?

I'd shoot extra at the bright pink ones. Just to be sure.

Call it the Phasma Effect: Whichever ones are in the distinguishing armor, blast them first.

Then the diversionary tactic is working perfectly, you've given away your position to all the other Smart Empire troops who've painted their armor in nice neutral earth tones and camo patterns that you've not noticed in favor of taking a pot shot at an adorable 4 year old in pink armor.

Yeah, Smart Empire is evil. But they're not stupid evil.

• Options
    Who's more foolish evil? The fool who sends a 4 year old into battle or the fool who shoots her?

I think future trooper units I may get might have more theater-of-war-appropriate attire but for the first core set I had to go 100% films.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Like this?

If she was carrying quantum physics books at night...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So I managed to meet Duncan Rhodes at Adepticon Friday after a painting panel - and with what precious little time I had, instead of absorbing the wisdom of his painting guidance, I talked about a local Chinese place. How did things go so wrong so fast? :bigfrown:
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

You pretty much always need primer, no matter what top coat(s) you’re using. Especially on larger models and conversions where you might have different colours of putty and filler etc. — those can show through if you just go straight to your main colours.
    One time I was working on a terrain piece, and ran out of black to bascoat, so I shrugged and figured 'navy blue is good enough. I'm putting a solid layer of gray on above it.' Nope, that's how I learned how much the base layers influence the stuff above it, because despite what I thought was an opaque layer above the basecoat, the gray most definitely had a bluer tinge to it compared to the black based models.
    Mayday wrote: »

I DO indeed have an airbrush... I'll add that varnish to my to-buy list.

I've airbrushed on varnish as well, but honestly, my preferred method is spray-can. I specifically use Mr. Hobby's Mr. Superclear. It's pricey, but you shouldn't be going through it very fast, and it's never let me down. One coat gloss, one coat matt, and I feel it looks pretty good.

Here's my Redemptor, just having finished drying his matte coat this evening.

Link to the 3.5 MB half-assed 360 image. :rotate:

Sorry about the glare on the frontal view. I had to use an impromptu lighting setup and didn't have anything to filter the bulbs. I also realize that I forgot to matte spray from the right too. :

This is the very first time I've ever done edge highlighting across a whole model.

Also, free handing symbols sucks. biggrin:

5rfQ7YG.jpg
    N0d0cgC.jpg
    PQbHMnj.jpg

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

9GQASVjl.jpg

That Vader is fantastic, Keany. I love the faint OSL glow from the saber, subtle and top-notch.

Way too many OSL jobs I've seen treat the mini like it's in a pitch black room and it overwhelms the rest of the painting. Yours hits the mark just right.

I'm up to around £500 in confirmed sales of my excess crap, with another £300ish to go.

Oh and I got around to priming the mechanicum cranes, so I have painted something.

Technically.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Oh man. I cannae be buying those. Stop posting them.

• Options

9GQASVjl.jpg

Damn! Vader lookin' goooooooooood!

This is as far as I've gotten:
    mwsc1h8kd27v.jpg
    t02aqbl3l3mm.jpg
    Still need to finish the base and rider, and I'm a little worried I overdid the weathering, but eh...

• Options
    No that looks perfect.

• Options
    Got the rest of my Legion order in today and HOLEY MOLEY LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!!!
    32otsn4pu1qk.jpg
    For comparison: Imperial Assault AT-ST, Primaris Marine, Legion AT-ST

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    hmm still I just don't know if I want to get into Legion since one of my gripes about X wing plagues it

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Other things this model is teaching me - the ins and outs of rotational photography, Also, fuck you, photobucket.

I've got the lighting setup mostly fixed now. I realize there's still that one particular angle that is super glossy. Gotta fix that.

(Link to image).

Now I'm starting work on the imperial strongpoint tile that has been giving me shit for years. No more! This fucker is getting painted and played on, NOW! :biggrin:

Also, simultaneously, working on the present to myself I got at the Forgeworld booth at Adepticon. Hello SuperPower, how is my favorite purple degreaser today?

*edit*
    And as we come up on the start of April, I feel it's a good idea to go back and remind everyone of the two MOST important tools to any painter:

https://youtu.be/DJ9w9J7gfJI

https://youtu.be/0hx9TO4Tao8

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I'm painting.

tr7z8oi97py6.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I've been putting paint on things lately.

Hive fleet Ouroboris Tyranids... should be easy.

But it doesn't feel that way.

This discussion has been closed.