As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Installed A Girl Adrift because of the high rating and aesthetic and this game basically took over my weekend.

It's a clicker/idle game that's mostly ad-focused instead of IAP which I'm ok with. Fairly cute, and the clicking is basically a battle system as opposed to the standard click for more currency. Fish at a specific level you've beaten can be fished automatically once you have the appropriate skill, but clicking will always be a significant source of DPS so it's a question of whether you wanna spend some time doing a lot of active battling, or once you get the that lets you attempt higher level fish even while AFK, to try to let your automatic weapons do the job for you. There's like 8 different resources within the game, and loads more things that keep unlocking that tweak your stats in various ways.

Ads are mostly there to provide extra bonus to some resources, though it also has some random short ads when selling stuff which go away with any IAP purchase. So for $2 I think it's a fair price if you plan to play it long-term. The only things that require IAP currency are some IAP-only skins, but you also get that currency from daily login and there's only like 16 of them. Most of the other IAP-purchasable skins come from events which if you miss out will still be there next year, and if you're playing during the event its easy to complete it. So kinda like Overwatch events in that sense.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I hate TinyCo's greedy pay to win model....yet I can't stop playing their games. Futurama, Family Guy, Avenger's Academy, now their upcoming Harry Potter game. Fortunately, I've gotten giving them money out of my system, but yet, I still keep playing them, and I still keep getting hosed over because their games are designed to keep you just out of reach of stuff unless you fork over dough. I clearly have a masochistic thing going on.

Why do I hate myself?

*looks at your avatar*

Seems like there's a reason...

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Gasp!

Apparently the people at Cartoon Network were such fans of Match Land, they commissioned the company to make a Cartoon Network themed version. From the Kotaku article, it does seem like it won't just be the same exact game, though, which is good cause I beat all the levels already (I'm just working on maxing out all my guys now)

Seems like the gameplay might change to more of a Puzzles and Dragons style sliding board, which might be okay? Not a huge P+D fan though. Just hope they don't tweak it so you rely even more on energy meters/gems/etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I just wanted to hang a light on this because I think it'd be a shame if somebody passed up Eternal because of comments about it as a shitty Hearthstone clone. It's a very good game and has a lot going for it that even HS can't claim. An extremely generous f2p model by modern standards over an extremely solid game that is (generally) well-balanced with a lot of different viable builds. Good game modes and the devs seem to have a really good idea of what they are doing. One of the best card games out there IMO.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying playing through Portal Bridge Constructor on my phone - it popped up on my radar when it was announced for Switch but it was less than a third of the price on Android and I had google play credit just sitting there.

Nearly done with it, getting some slowdown when there is lots of action but I'm on a fairly cheap phone (Moto G4+) so no big shock.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The eurogame The Castles of Mad King Ludwig is available for 6.99 on Android!

I just replaced my lost Galaxy S3 Tab, and upgraded my phone, so I'll give impressions once my devices are settled in.

EDIT - And other euro boardgames Scythe and Terraforming Mars are coming soon!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Trying out Match Land because of this thread and being limited to moving one space at a time is killing me after my long days in PAD and Terra Battle.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I mean you can keep matching after the first match as long as each move starts a new match.

I think I read that the Cartoon Network version of the game changes that rule.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Placeholder name FPS mobile is an impressive thing but it's not really that playable on a phone

Talith wrote: »
    Trying out Match Land because of this thread and being limited to moving one space at a time is killing me after my long days in PAD and Terra Battle.

It's funny, I'm the opposite. Any match 3 game that lets you drag any old gem anywhere just puts me right off

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I tried playing pubg on my Nexus 5x

It got uninstalled, maybe it's better on a current gen phablet?

• Options
    Oh boy, I don't think I care for this Cartoon Network Match Land. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways from regular Match Land, but the diagonal moves changes the game just enough that I am botching setups, and also I'll attempt a left/right or up/down swipe only to accidentally have it register as a diagonal swipe and ruin my chain.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Shadowgun legends plays really nicely for a mobile shooter!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Is there an alternative for swiping at the top or bottom edges to bring up the home button etc? It's getting in the way of games, especially Match Land.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Is there an alternative for swiping at the top or bottom edges to bring up the home button etc? It's getting in the way of games, especially Match Land.

Can you do gestures with your finger print sensor? I can on my Nexus 6p

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

Can you do gestures with your finger print sensor? I can on my Nexus 6p

What I've seen is a swipe sensor for notifications option. It would be nice if I could swipe censor just to bring up the top and home bar, without the screen covering notifications menu as well; similar to how the top and bottom edge pull brings up just the top and and home bars.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I mean you can keep matching after the first match as long as each move starts a new match.

I think I read that the Cartoon Network version of the game changes that rule.

The rule is the same. The only thing CN changes is now you can swipe diagonally.

Which I prefer, but I can totally understand when other folks don't. It makes it easier to make a mistake.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I think my biggest complaint about CN Match Land is it isn't CN enough. I feel like the CN skin is really nominal.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I think my biggest complaint about CN Match Land is it isn't CN enough. I feel like the CN skin is really nominal.

Yeah, I played a shit ton of regular Match Land and this CN Match Land just seems more washed out with a worse color palette. A lot of the characters don't seem like the characters (That's supposed to be Steven Universe?!) and the powers are all the same. Even the new categories don't really make any sense from afar. Before it was like, Undead, or Pirate. Now it's stuff like Gutsy. I don't know what that means. Is it just heroes?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2018
    So I completed the tutorial of The Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

The simplest way I can describe the game is that its like Carassonne except players take turns being the auctioneer who sells the tiles to other players. Players try to build the coolest, most point-worthy castle for Bavaria's most famous jackass. Players try to not only build a castle worth the most base points, but also earn and collect bonus cards that increase the value of rooms and tiles they place in the past or future. By "completing" a room by filling all its empty doorways with other rooms, players earn the right to draw three bonus cards and choose two.

The primary catch is that players don't randomly draw tiles. They purchase them from slots with costs ranging from 15 to 4 gold. They are dealt, arranged, and sold by the current Master Builder, a position that rotates between players each round. Each player gets their turn to arrange the tiles based on their opponents' demand to maximize their revenue or to antagonize them if they feel they are winning.

Different rooms are categorized by their color that I don't have memorized. For example, bright orange rooms only have one doorway, therefore they instantly earn bonus cards by playing them. In turn, they are tiny and worth minimal points. Red rooms are worth massive points due to their huge square footage. Stairways combo with black rooms (basement floor rooms such as dungeons or mushroom farms.) Blue rooms are for sleep. Yellow rooms have food, green rooms are outdoors, etc.

Aesthetically, its true to the original board game: not particularly exiting, but functional, as you're laying down floor plans for a castle.

Its fun and intriguing, but having not played the board game, I immediately know what is lost: First, you lose the ability to look your opponent in the eye as you set their desired tile in the 15 cost range. every tile looks like a colored floor plan with vague furnishings displayed, and the room has a name, and very few restrictions with the logic behind setting rooms next to each other. Live players have the opportunity to giggle as they put a Bakery next to the Dungeon, or the Queen's Chamber next to the Knights Quarters :winky:

The game includes multiplayer, as well as a campaign with various scenarios in an adventure to make castles for Bavarian nobles, hoping to catch Ludwig II's eye.

Cantido on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

My phone goes home if you do a hard press in the bottom of the screen, that may be hidden in the settings menu, though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

Yeah, I played a shit ton of regular Match Land and this CN Match Land just seems more washed out with a worse color palette. A lot of the characters don't seem like the characters (That's supposed to be Steven Universe?!) and the powers are all the same. Even the new categories don't really make any sense from afar. Before it was like, Undead, or Pirate. Now it's stuff like Gutsy. I don't know what that means. Is it just heroes?

I would expect that instead of "gutsy" and "loyal" the characters would be tagged by series, so Steven would give bonuses to SU characters, Ice Bear to other bears, etc.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I just got FTL (and am loving it!) for my computer and I'm wondering if there is anything similar to it for my Nexus 5X?

LaOs on
  • Options
    Hmm, Match Land doesn't appear to have cloud saves or any way to transfer your progress to a new phone. That is not ideal, esp since I put real money into this game.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »
    I just got FTL (and am loving it!) for my computer and I'm wondering if there is anything similar to it for my Nexus 5X?

I feel like Star Command was fairly FTL-ish when I played it awhile a go. It wasn't as good but I enjoyed it enough that I actually played through the whole thing, either on my phone or my Nexus 7.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Picked up Florence.

I'm ready to feel some feels, though I don't actually expect much from what I've heard about the game. Like, in talking about how great it is, people have sorta given me too much context to not already know what some of the story beats are gonna be.
    I know it's a game about relationships/breakups, and one article talked about how you play a little Tetris minigame when you move in some place, and how later you play the same minigame later but with a twist. That's basically the part of the breakup when you move out, right? It's gotta be something like that.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Hmm, Match Land doesn't appear to have cloud saves or any way to transfer your progress to a new phone. That is not ideal, esp since I put real money into this game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MatchLand/comments/86xh01/cloud_save/dwdlyhc/

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Yup. The IOS version has cloud support, the Android version apparently does not. I put real money* into this thing, so that's a bummer.

*Google Play money I got from answering surveys

Also, beat Florence today. It's okay. It does some stuff with the gameplay to make a fairly by the numbers relationship drama more compelling than if it was just a movie or TV show. It was 3 bucks** so I don't feel super upset that I didn't feel the feels I was promised.

**See previous asterisk

edit: A dev posted in the comments of that Reddit post, implying that vanilla Match Land has some sort of cloud save functionality on Android (CN Match Land does not, because it is marketed to children, I guess). I don't see this on my phone, so I have no idea how to do this sort of thing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I can confirm that the big-booty Eurogame Terra Mystica is now optimized.

Note that I tested it on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and a Tab 3. They each now run at a framerate higher than 4, with HD visuals on.

Now if only I weren't shit at it, it makes me want to punch a wall....

Cantido on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I can confirm that the big-booty Eurogame Terra Mystica is now optimized.

Note that I tested it on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and a Tab 3. They each now run at a framerate higher than 4, with HD visuals on.

Now if only I weren't shit at it, it makes me want to punch a wall....

Love that game. Always have a game on the go with my RL boardgame nerd friends. The Fire and Ice expansion adds a whole new dimension to the game as well.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Sdorica -sunset-? Game looks pretty but I'm wondering if it's just a shallow gacha grind.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Any recommendations on competitive games that folks are really digging?

I currently play: Hearthstone, Clash Royale very occasionally, Vainglory very occasionally.

I have tried: Stormbound, Eternal, Clash of Clans/Age of Empires, Dominations, Fire Emblem: Heroes.

I did try Sdorica and didn't encounter anything that made me keep it on my phone. Production value is certainly high, though.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The latest Room game just released on Android. So far I'm really liking it (I loved the others in the series). It's based in a doll house and is really neat.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    The latest Room game just released on Android. So far I'm really liking it (I loved the others in the series). It's based in a doll house and is really neat.

I really liked the first one. Second was ok, and I got a bit burned out on 3 when I realized I would have to do multiple plays of it. Will probably still get this new one.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Every review I've read of the The Room games has gotten progressively lower and lower once the games expanded and now you have to solve more than one box in more than one room.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Has anyone tried Sdorica -sunset-? Game looks pretty but I'm wondering if it's just a shallow gacha grind.

I've only just started (on Stardust Library, fwiw). The 'puzzle' elements is the hook for me. Will see how far that gets me. Reading the comments on the characters (which seems like a neat thing to have in-game? I haven't kept up with the gacha life), it sounds like the characters you get can push you through the main story and are decent enough?

It's definitely one of the prettier games I've played on my phone

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    The puzzle element of it is entertaining, and it looks like all the characters are upgradeable to the highest tier (complete with fancy art and models), and then there is the lovely visuals and music. I think I'll try sticking around with it as well. Originally I started on Bedrock Library and am only at chapter 2, going through those tutorial quests to upgrade the starting trio and doing some events, but looking at the server list it says Stardust is recommended so I might look into moving there?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Not knowing anything about these things, is Armory & Machine considered a shallow or deep idler?

• Options
    If anyone is interested, Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition is on sale right now for like CDN$5

I've been waiting for a decent sale for this one. Hopefully I'll actually get around to playing it. My FFT playthrough has stalled on some rooftop battle where the bad guys are killing the girl I'm supposed to protect within like 2 turns and it doesn't help that she runs right up to them.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested, Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition is on sale right now for like CDN$5

I've been waiting for a decent sale for this one. Hopefully I'll actually get around to playing it. My FFT playthrough has stalled on some rooftop battle where the bad guys are killing the girl I'm supposed to protect within like 2 turns and it doesn't help that she runs right up to them.

Oh, I remember that fight. I basically had to pull some ridiculously high speed character out of the scrub closet (I think I used a red Choco) to go before them to soak the alpha

• Options
    I started playing Honkai Impact 3, which I think can best be described as a mobile version of Bayonetta in a futuristic setting. Main character literally fights like Bayonetta, wielding twin pistols and summoning giant limbs to finish off combos and triggering witch time on a well timed dodge. Other characters feel like different Nier:Automata weapon sets.

7244qyoka3pp.gif