As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Dinner...Lite!

ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
edited April 2018 in PAX East
While the PPD may be on hiatus, it doesn't mean we can't still meet up for dinner. I've made a reservation for 10 at Hopsters its a "brewery, restaurant, and unique adventure experience where you can brew your own craft beer." While we won't be crafting our own beer, we definitely can enjoy their selection of craft beers and great food.

Signups is on a first come, first served basis (in posting order). If we get more than 10 great, I will increase the reservation.

What : Pre-PAX Dinner Lite
When : Wednesday 4/4/18 @ 5pm
Where : Hopsters Brewery - Seaport area
Who : 10 fans of food and beer
Why : Because...we still gotta eat!
Cost : Up to you

Attendees (10):
ClannMorgan
DeathNTaxes
SutibunRi
Acaraba2
Xenigma
Davedismyname
Redk232
WuShock

The PPD has returned! This year we are looking forward to a good turnout…we will need at minimum 24 attendees to make this happen. I have reserved a space to comfortably accommodate up to 40 attendees.

Tickets are $41 +2.67 fees. Your ticket will cover lite apps and meal, tax, gratuity and Merchant admin fee. Advance purchase required, tickets may not be available at the door. Drinks and additional food is available at your own expense.

When/Where:
naogdclzrp1t.png

Merchant Bar & Kitchen
60 Franklin Street
Boston, MA 02110
We’ve had the dinner here for the past two years… food is great, and the staff has been amazing!

Wednesday April 4, 2018
5PM - 7PM
We will be in the Foley Room which is located on the lower level of the restaurant.5omxnr5hgckj.jpg

How to get there:

5-10 minute from Park St/Downtown Crossing T stations
20 minute walk from convention center
10 minute or less Uber/Lyft/cab from convention center
Validated parking ($6) available at the 33 Arch Street Garage, entrance located on Hawley Street.

Menu: There will be light app(s) and entrée selections
  • Slow Roasted Chicken Breast – fingerling potato confit, Tuscan kale, mustard jus
  • Roasted Seasonal Squash – winter vegetables, spinach, red quinoa, maple kissed tomato jus
  • Grilled Sea Trout – roasted fennel, organic carrots, roasted mushrooms, artichokes, beluga lentils, parsley emulsion
  • Steak Frites – marinated flat iron steak, watercress, fries
  • All Natural Burger – aged cheddar, house-made bacon, black pepper aioli, brioche bun
After your purchase email or PM your real name and meal selection, so I can match it to your ticket.

FAQ:

Handicap accessible? Yes and no. There are two levels, there are several steps at the entrance. There is an elevator to the lower floor.

21+ only? Nope…everyone is welcome.

What to wear…what to wear? Anything that you want…as long as you wear something.

When you arrive, please provide a printed ticket. If you can't provide a printed ticket then please be able to access your ticket on your phone so we can get everyone checked in as fast as possible.

OOOOOHHHH and for those that have attended before you know I like to do ice breakers…this of course will still be a part of the event.

Final Note - I do not make a profit on this event. If at any time there is any questions regarding this I will be more than willing to post all expenditures. All raffle stuff is donated by me.

Thank you all and see you all at the Merchant!

ClannMorgan on

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Thank you for arranging this! I've been looking forward to this for months!

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    Awesome, looking forward to it!

bftgk95jb551.png

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Sweeet might be able to make this year for once!

• RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    I might be able to make it. Since im about a 3hr drive and wanna get there before the rush traffic anyway could be close.

xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Tickets should be going live later today on Eventbrite. We will need a minimum of 24 attendees to make this happen, in addition to myself and my +1. Really looking forward to this!

PAX is just around the corner...18 days to go, don’t forget you get your tickets for this annual dinner to kick of the weekend!

Starting to get a little concerned about the lack of participation on the thread. If you're planning on coming, buy a ticket! I will need to give a head count in a few days and if we are not at the threshold to meet the minimum....

• StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    Unfortunately we aren’t going to make it. We aren’t going to get into town in time.

bftgk95jb551.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I definitely think that PAX doing 4 days from Thurs-Sun (as opposed to Fri-Mon potentially) and pushing things like this back to Wednesday has a major affect on availability of people. I hope you get your numbers.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Flights from CA are leaving later and later, will not make it this year :/

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • craftersshaftcraftersshaft Registered User regular
    Hope my tickets don't have to go to waste for my first time going to the dinner.

eBcBx26.png
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I definitely think that PAX doing 4 days from Thurs-Sun (as opposed to Fri-Mon potentially) and pushing things like this back to Wednesday has a major affect on availability of people. I hope you get your numbers.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the change from Thursday to Wednesday has had an impact on the numbers. I'm hoping that there is a last minute surge in attendance as we are not even at half of the necessary numbers. We'll see.
    Hope my tickets don't have to go to waste for my first time going to the dinner.

I hope not, one of the best parts is meeting other forum members at this event.

• austin1298austin1298 Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to go. My flight is supposed to arrive at 2:20 so hopefully it doesn't get delayed.

This is the last call for tickets. We are approx. 15 tickets short from making this happen. I'd love to keep this tradition alive, so if you can make it buy a ticket, heck buy two and bring a friend!

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    This is the last call for tickets. We are approx. 15 tickets short from making this happen. I'd love to keep this tradition alive, so if you can make it buy a ticket, heck buy two and bring a friend!

The same thing happened to me last year on the Schlitzkrieg; we didn't make our numbers. It may be that when the con changes format drastically it could take a year or two for things to settle out for the community events. That said, I think that most PAXers don't read the forums, and having a PAX community display or table or something at walk-in events like game night might help drive more people to check out the forums and see the events.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    Yes, the shift to Wednesday has had a huge impact. I’m really hoping we get the numbers. But I will have to close it down soon as I’m walking the line of losing my deposit ...yikes!

Food, friends, Pre-PAX excitement, you know you want it!! Last day for tickets is today, go get em!

No tickets seem to have been sold since the last call... Are we doomed?

eBcBx26.png
    No tickets seem to have been sold since the last call... Are we doomed?
    I think we might be.

• JailbirdyJailbirdy OhioRegistered User regular
    Is there someplace else that could hold a smaller group of say 10-12 people that would work for you this year?

Gamechefs LTD
    GT: Jailbirdy
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    For me personally, the price has become the reason for not being able to go. 40 per person for a group of 5 becomes an expensive dinner. I know a couple years ago people talked about Fire and Ice and how it was a good spot but not close enough to the board game night and Pokecrawl. Now that the Pokecrawl is going to be on Thursday night, maybe Fire and Ice could be an option for next year.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    For me personally, the price has become the reason for not being able to go. 40 per person for a group of 5 becomes an expensive dinner. I know a couple years ago people talked about Fire and Ice and how it was a good spot but not close enough to the board game night and Pokecrawl. Now that the Pokecrawl is going to be on Thursday night, maybe Fire and Ice could be an option for next year.

The challenge the last few years has been finding a location that isn't already booked. Boston knows about PAX now, and knows it can charge a premium that week since every open space around the seaport will be packed with people. Also getting a formal meal with appetizers and $20-$25 in Boston is hard.

Yes, everyone knows PAX is coming. Most places set high minimums that are unrealistic to meet for a casual (non-sponsored) dinner, and getting a full meal, with apps, then throw on tax, tip, event charges (an admin fee restaurants charge which can be up to 4%) and then the Eventbrite fee...you get a $40 ticket. I really try to get the cost down, but Boston is so expensive now.

I will have to cancel for this year, I'm still willing to put something together for a small group, we can all cover our own checks, it will still be a good time, we will still eat, and we will still have plenty of drinks! I just don't want to make a reservation for 10-12, then only have 5 show.

• Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I can understand the struggle. Maybe others who have been interested or we're planning on going have ideas for the future.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ClannMorgan I really appreciate you putting in the work to try to make this happen. I know that organizing this sort of thing is often (almost always) a thankless job and more work than one would think necessary.

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

jthom252 on
    I would also be glad to go to the smaller event. Hopefully it can happen in the afternoon, I don't want to end up missing 3 days of school.

eBcBx26.png
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    I sympathize with your struggles @ClannMorgan. My last trip to Boston showed me what you have talked about. I think you did the right decision.

Whatever form this will take for 2018 it will still be good for anyone who shows up.

Press F for respects.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Jer1ch0Jer1ch0 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    ClannMorgan I really appreciate you putting in the work to try to make this happen. I know that organizing this sort of thing is often (almost always) a thankless job and more work than one would think necessary.

I second this @ClannMorgan the date did not work for me this year but I have enjoyed the dinner in the past - thank you for all the efforts even if it did not pan out.

dr5jolvtc9bn.png

PPD Lite is on, we'll be at Hopsters in the Seaport area at 5pm. Its a quick walk to the BCEC (11 min) if your going to game night after, and a quick walk to Faneuil Hall (16 min) if you are going on the Poke Crawl. Made the reservation for 10.

• acaraba2acaraba2 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    Count in me PPD lite. Things came up and I almost had to skip PAX this year but luckily things happen to work out, so I will be there. @ClannMorgan

jf7bixxxlknz.png

Glad you were able to make it! And you are counted in.

Am I able to cancel my reservation? I feel sick and want to start PAX feeling well.

eBcBx26.png
    Am I able to cancel my reservation? I feel sick and want to start PAX feeling well.

No worries, feel better. You don’t want to start off PAX feeling blah.

Anyone else interested should PM me, or comment, so I can add you to the list in the OP.

• DeathNTaxesDeathNTaxes Registered User regular
    Looking forward to Pre-Pax Dinner Lite tomorrow! I hope we get a few more sign ups. C'mon, keep the dream alive people!

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Go ahead and put me down. Been meaning to go to a PPD for years, and honestly a small group sounds great to me. :+1:

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    You can put me down as a maybe. Not sure ill be able to get there "Right" away maybe like 7 or 8ish as long as it still is gonna be going. Gonna see what the pre-gamer thing at the laugh boston is like.

RedK232 on
    xhdr64jir3c2.png
    Still have spots for a couple more, it’s not to late to sign up.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    In.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• RufeRufe Chesapeake, VARegistered User regular
    In.

PAX East 2018 Checklist:[X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 4 One Day Passes [X] Badge arrival [X] Game packaging