As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 4

Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
Match A:

250px-NEWTOOTH.JPG

Sabretooth

Powers: Superhumanly acute senses; Superhuman strength, stamina, agility, and reflexes, Regenerative healing factor; Slowed aging process; Adamantium skeleton & claws, Resistance to telepathic detection and control.

Vs.

250px-Rhinopreview.jpg

Powers: Superhuman strength, speed, stamina, and durability

Environment: The San Diego Zoo

Match B:

Magxorn.png

Xorn-neto

Powers: Healing powers and manipulation of electromagnetism and gravity, due to the star which made up his brain.

Vs.

225px-Titaniuman.png

Titanium Man

Powers: superhuman strength, flight, concussive blasts

Environment: Limbo (Marvel)

Match C:

376px-Despero.JPG

Despero

Powers: Telepathy, Hypnotism, Telekinesis, Teleportation, Superhuman strength and endurance, Genius-level intelligence

VS.

240px-Daredevil_8.jpg

THE MIGHTY STILT-MAN (Doom was asked to announce him this way)

Powers: armored suit's telescoping legs can extend up to 290 feet; silicon coating resists adhesives such as Spider-Man's webbing; Augmented strength

Environment: Asteroid M

Match D:

Spiral.PNG

Spiral

Powers: 6 arms, enhanced strength, teleportation, sorcery, skilled with knives and swords

Equipment: 12 throwing knives, 1 katana

Vs.

Dr_arthur_light.jpg

Dr. Light

Powers: Photokinesis, can use light to create forcefields, fly, become invisible, produce energy blasts, create darkness. Severe rape fetish.

Doctor Doom on

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Titanium Man is sooo fucked.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Woah, could Sabretooth actually take out Rhino?

I ... dont think he could.... Rhino has gotten a lot smarter over the years, and on top of that his hide is fucking strong.

Sharp101 on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm voting for Doctor Light to rape his way to the top of the whole tourny.

Sars_Boy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So uh... does Despero do anything? Or is he just big and red?

DarkPrimus on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sharp101 wrote:

I ... dont think he could.... Rhino has gotten a lot smarter over the years, and on top of that his hide is fucking strong.

Adamantium cuts through pretty much everything.

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Sharp101 wrote:

Adamantium cuts through pretty much everything.

Oh, I didnt realize he has that again.

Sharp101 on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Except for Sabertooth vs Rhino none of these are even going to be close.

Magneto versus a guy in a suit made of metal?

The alien that once single handedly took out the JLA versus Stilt-Man?

A multi-armed ninja versus a man with complete control over light itself?

Not even going to be close.

Furu on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm going for Rhino because what's more hilarious than Rhino with a chance?

The Muffin Man on
    edited November 2006
    Man, I'm sure if Rhino hit Sabretooth hard enough.......

Its just CAN he hit Sabretooth?

Sharp101 on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    THE MIGHTY STILT MAN wins.

Also: why would Doom put a guy with power over magnetism in with a guy who is made of metal? I'm thinking Doom has some grudge against the guy.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Except for Sabertooth vs Rhino none of these are even going to be close.

Magneto versus a guy in a suit made of metal?

The alien that once single handedly took out the JLA versus Stilt-Man?

A multi-armed ninja versus a man with complete control over light itself?

Not even going to be close.

Spirals gonna get raped.

EDIT: For the sake of no more rape jokes with Dr.Light, I'm gonna use the TT cartoon version.

Well, the one that was actually a competent threat. Which means he'll pretty much ruin Spirals shit the same.

The Muffin Man on
  • Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:

Also: why would Doom put a guy with power over magnetism in with a guy who is made of metal? I'm thinking Doom has some grudge against the guy.

Some of the matches made were intentional, and some of them were random. Titanium Man just got the bad draw.

Doctor Doom on
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:

DOOM DOES NOT LIKE THE TITANIUM MAN!

The Muffin Man on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Oh good, Dr. Light, get ready for rape jokes.

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:
    Oh good, Dr. Light, get ready for rape jokes.
    I am taking measures to avoid this, thank you very much.

The Muffin Man on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sharp101 wrote:

Has he? The last Rhino story I read was in Tangled Web where he actually gets an operation to make himself dumber.

robosagogo on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Rhino exsists to lose in order to make who ever beats him (spider-man,daredevil,basically anyone with more than 2 brain cells) look good.

My picks: Sabertooth,Xorn-neto,Despero,and Dr.Light (although I've never heard of him till this tourny).

Caveman Paws on
    edited November 2006
    But the last thing we want is to make Sabertooth look good.

The Muffin Man on
    edited November 2006
    I'm not sure it matters. The other sure winners in the bracket (Xorn, Despero, Dr. Light) will be able to fuck either of them over easily.

Furu on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Spiral's more powerful than people think. Sorcery + teleportation + ninja skills don't result in a walkover for Dr Light. Her usual tactic is to instantly teleport behind her opposition with several knives at their throat, ready for the slashening to commence. Sorcery can conceivably allow her to ignore Light's ability to turn invisible (tracking him through mystical means), and the teleportation can dodge his force beams. It can also possibly allow her to get past his force field, leaving him pretty vulnerable to a six-armed woman with many sharp objects.

Bogart on
    edited November 2006
    Even if she did get right up on him, couldn't he just immediately emit a blast of light from his body strong enough to fry her?

Furu on
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Even if she did get right up on him, couldn't he just immediately emit a black of light strong enough to fry her?

I have no idea. Someone who knows more about Dr Light than the powers description Doom put in the first post will have to answer that one. Is he faster than instant teleportation and a ninja slicing his throat from behind? Can he sense someone appearing behind him, because if he can't the thing that tips him off about the ninja over his shoulder will be the blade protruding from his chest.

Bogart on
    edited November 2006
    I imagine if she teleports into his force feld, he'll notice.

But I think flight and force fields are just powers that leave most close-range fighters pretty useless.

Furu on
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    I imagine if she teleports into his force field, he'll notice.

But I think flight and force fields are just powers that leave most close-range fighters pretty useless.

Spiral can fly/levitate. Also, is she teleporting into his forcefield or past it? I'd say the latter.

Bogart on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Can Spiral teleport objects? Or just herself?

Cause I'm trying to think of a way that control over light could save a person who just got a throwing knife teleported into his brain, and it's not coming.

see317 on
    edited November 2006
    see317 wrote:
    Can Spiral teleport objects? Or just herself?

Cause I'm trying to think of a way that control over light could save a person who just got a throwing knife teleported into his brain, and it's not coming.

Herself and other people, but not single objects (at least, I can't remember her ever doing so). She might be able to conjure something that performs the same action, though. She can also depower superhumans very, very quickly through magic. Wikipedia has her depowering and teleporting an entire team of Avengers, but I haven't read that story, and it might be one of those events that we can ignore on the basis that she's only done it once and done nothing remotely like it since. I do remember her kicking the X-Men's behinds on several occasions, though. She's incredibly powerful.

Bogart on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yea, we shouldn't write Spiral out so quickly. While the 'new' Dr. Light is certainly a lot more vicious, I don't really see him as being all that much smarter, and he's sure to be overconfident. He'll probably think he's got Spiral out, have his pants down around his knees, and bam, 6 swords through the chest.

As for Sabretooth vs. the Rhino, I'm doing Sabretooth. I'd probably go for him anyways, but giving him back the adamantium claws just clinches it.

Scooter on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Yea, we shouldn't write Spiral out so quickly. While the 'new' Dr. Light is certainly a lot more vicious, I don't really see him as being all that much smarter, and he's sure to be overconfident. He'll probably think he's got Spiral out, have his pants down around his knees, and bam, 6 swords through the chest.

As for Sabretooth vs. the Rhino, I'm doing Sabretooth. I'd probably go for him anyways, but giving him back the adamantium claws just clinches it.

That was my thinking for both fights as well. Despero vs. Spiral should be interesting.

Slagmire on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wish I had nominated mini-Rhino from that Deadpool arc.

178qxfk5.th.jpg

skippydumptruck on
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    I'm not sure it matters. The other sure winners in the bracket (Xorn, Despero, Dr. Light) will be able to fuck either of them over easily.

Yeah but Rhino should at least GET there.

And hey, he might end up ramming his way through to at least the round after that!
    I wish I had nominated mini-Rhino from that Deadpool arc.
    I nominated Rhino, though :P

The Muffin Man on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah seriously, Dr. Light is mostly a less good Green Lantern. Spiral has a real shot here.

deadonthestreet on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah seriously, Dr. Light is mostly a less good Green Lantern. Spiral has a real shot here.
    While Spiral could win, people aren't giving Light enough credit. He took on every incarnation of Teen Titans, at once, and almost won.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Yea, we shouldn't write Spiral out so quickly. While the 'new' Dr. Light is certainly a lot more vicious, I don't really see him as being all that much smarter
    Wiki wrote:
    Originally, Arthur Light was intellectually brilliant, a genius in the field of physics. However, his mindwipe by the Justice League reduced his intelligence substantially. Light's recent recovery of his memories seems to have brought his mental brilliance back with them.

Furu on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A - I think that Sabretooth will be able to outlast Rhino in this one. Rhino is tough, but doesn't have a healing factor which will be his downfall. Sabretooth also has the edge in the brains department.

B - Xorneto. Titanium Man doesn't stand a chance

C - The Mighty Stilt-Man. Probably the worst idea for a villian ever to make it to paper, and this is why he gets my vote. I want to see Stilt-Man battle Thor in the greatest ever match.

D - Dr. Light. I'm gonna rape you!!

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Yea, we shouldn't write Spiral out so quickly. While the 'new' Dr. Light is certainly a lot more vicious, I don't really see him as being all that much smarter
    Wiki wrote:
    Originally, Arthur Light was intellectually brilliant, a genius in the field of physics. However, his mindwipe by the Justice League reduced his intelligence substantially. Light's recent recovery of his memories seems to have brought his mental brilliance back with them.

Being a great scientist doesn't mean the same thing as being smart in a fight.

Scooter on
  • exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    wiki wrote:
    Spiral's spellcasting powers, unlike her teleportation skills, can be triggered through small hand gestures and that because of her many hands, Spiral can cast her spells in rapid succession. In moments, she was able to deprive each of the Avengers of their superhuman powers, regardless of their source, bind them, and transport them across the country. Spiral often incorporates knives and swords into more complicated spells. Spiral can also disguise herself through her magic.

Dr. Light sounds fucked

not proper fucked

exit on
    edited November 2006
    Holy shit

What's keeping her from just walking over everyone in the damn tournament?

Furu on
    edited November 2006
    She can't really take a hit.

And wastes time talking in riddles.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Holy shit

What's keeping her from just walking over everyone in the damn tournament?

Coming up against someone with greater magical powers would be a challenge for her. Or someone who didn't have powers, specifically, but who was just naturally superhuman (i.e. an alien, a cyborg, etc).

Bogart on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fight A - Sabertooth
    Rhino simply couldn't hurt him fast enough, I think. Those claws would probably tear through Rhino's armor, doing lasting damage, but theres no way rhino could kill sabertooth. MAYBE, just maybe, rhino could get him unexpectedly with his first charge and knock sabertooth unconscious momentarily, but I REALLY doubt that. Rhino sneaking up on a guy with extremely heightened sense? Not likely...

Fight B - Xorn
    If you need an explanation of why Xorn would destroy titanium man, just read his powers again. TM doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Fight C - Despero
    I'm glad this guy is going against stilt-man, because I have no idea who Despero is. Still, has anyone EVER lost to stilt-man? Not that I can recall...

Fight D - Spiral
    Can spiral teleport behind forcefields? If so, I think she's got it. If not, then it'll probably go to Dr. Light. Admittedly, I don't know much about dr light, though. He doesn't have any kind of invulnerability, does he? It doesn't say that he does. So, spiral + teleporting + katana = Dr. Light on a stick

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."