As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My gaming mouse thinks its a keyboard. Help? (Alternately, rec me a new gaming mouse!)

Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeerMarylandRegistered User regular
I'd normally not come to a forum with this, but my Google-Fu is seriously failing me, and I need help. I'm at the end of my hardware knowledge.

Yesterday, my younger brother borrowed my Redragon Perdition without asking. He left it on my desk this morning. Normally, I'm not that bothered by this, but when I plugged the mouse in today, the cursor wouldn't move. At all. The mouse LEDs were lit up (though it was a different color than I had originally set it at) indicating that the mouse was getting power, but the cursor just didn't respond.

I tried every single USB port on my desktop (windows 10), then my laptop (Windows 7, which I've used that mouse with before), then my brother's computer (windows 10). No dice on any of them; cursor still won't move. I uninstalled and reinstalled the regular mouse drivers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Redragon specific drivers. I went into Device Settings and ejected the mouse, then plugged it back in. I rebooted my computer. I rebooted other computers, with the mouse plugged in. I have just plugged it into my mom's Macbook, and still no dice, though something else weird is going on (see below).

The one bit of extreme weirdness is that my desktop, my laptop, and my mom's Mac seem to think the mouse is actually a keyboard. It shows up with a Keyboard icon even though it's named "USB Laser Mouse," seems to have a Keyboard driver, and when I plugged it into my mom's Macbook, it said "Hi, are you trying to install a keyboard?" Thing is, I tried uninstalling the keyboard driver software, and that didn't work -- each computer just eventually reinstalled a keyboard, and still thinks the mouse is a keyboard. I have NO IDEA how to tell my computers that no, that's not a keyboard, that's a mouse, you idiot. Weirdly, it seems to ALSO think it's a mouse (as in, there's a mouse driver, but prioritizes the perceived "keyboard-ness" over any "mouse-ness"

I have ABSOLUTELY NO EARTHLY CLUE what my brother did. He's not good at computers at all. He mentioned that his old mouse was acting "weird" the other day, that for whatever reason, both the USB port his mouse was plugged into and the one his keyboard was plugged into would disconnect (which... is incorrect, because he's not currently using a USB keyboard, it's using the old circular port. See: he's not good at computers.) I'm not sure why this would convince his computer that my mouse was totally a keyboard, and convince it so hard that it now thinks its a keyboard no matter what it's plugged into.

Now, with all this... to be honest, I'm thinking I should just buy a new mouse, unless someone here has a way to fix this. I'm at the end of my computer knowledge, here.

Which fucking sucks, for reasons I won't go into fully, but the mouse wasn't even that old. I don't want another Redragon in case the problem here has something to do with the Redragon itself. Better to hedge my bets and go for a new mouse.

I like playing games where I press about forty billion buttons to do things (MMORPGs and such), and I also like having ALL THE BUTTONS for my job (layout design. Adobe macros can be your friend. When they work. And don't fuck everything up instead.)

Right now, I'm looking at:

Logitech G600 More than I want to spend, but Logitech is a really solid company, and I've had no complaints with their mice before.

HAVIT HV-MS735 The price is AWESOME -- it's cheaper than even the Redragon -- but the button positions look a bit weird.

UtechSmart Venus Very similar to the Redragon, if slightly more expensive.

Corsair Scimitar Normally wouldn't even consider this, but I found a really good deal on a refurbished one for $34 (elsewhere, not linking because I want it :P )

Alternately, if you guys have a solution for this whole "My mouse thinks its a keyboard and won't work" problem, I'm all ears.

**EDIT** My ancient old 3 button Logitech still works and doesn't think it's a keyboard. Same with my drawing tablet. It's just the Redragon, which is one reason why I think the Redragon might be the culprit, and why I'm looking into a new mouse.

**EDIT2** As a last resort, I'm running System Restore to two days ago to see if that helps. I don't think I did anything important in the last two days.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
Lucid_Seraph on

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Your computer thinks the mouse is a keyboard because it is. In order for the mouse to be able to do things like send keypresses and other keyboard events it installs itself as both a keyboard and a mouse (and maybe other things as well, depending on its capabilities).

As for the mouse not working: Shits busted, yo. My guess is that something shorted out while it was being plugged in/unplugged, or that your brother's computer's usb ports are suspect and caused some sort of damage to the mouse.

As for a new mouse, I'm pretty fond of the G600 myself.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Your computer thinks the mouse is a keyboard because it is. In order for the mouse to be able to do things like send keypresses and other keyboard events it installs itself as both a keyboard and a mouse (and maybe other things as well, depending on its capabilities).

As for the mouse not working: Shits busted, yo. My guess is that something shorted out while it was being plugged in/unplugged, or that your brother's computer's usb ports are suspect and caused some sort of damage to the mouse.

I am 90% sure my brother's USB ports are suspect, because my ancient 3 button workhorse Logitech freaks out when he uses it. That's why he borrowed my Redragon.

Apparently, this is a Known Issue with Redragons, in that they will just decide that they're not gonna work anymore, fam, fuck you. I found my ancient old SWTOR promotional Razer Synapse (won in a contest!) with the broken right mouse button, and it's working just fine (besides a busted right mouse button).

SO

I ordered the G600 because it's on sale and it looks really lovely and as noted above I've found Logitechs to be Extremely Solid mice.

• Options
    Tras KhanTras Khan Registered User new member
    I'm a big MMO guy and as such have tried several "mmo" mice. I've had the g600, razer naga, naga hex, Corsair m90, scimitar, Roccat nyth, and Rat mmo7. The razer's were, unsurprisingly, junk. I have zero complaints about the g600, it is quite often the one I default to. The nyth is pretty much the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, but it's hard to pick up, and unfortunately that's something that I do almost subconsciously.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Tras Khan wrote: »
    I'm a big MMO guy and as such have tried several "mmo" mice. I've had the g600, razer naga, naga hex, Corsair m90, scimitar, Roccat nyth, and Rat mmo7. The razer's were, unsurprisingly, junk. I have zero complaints about the g600, it is quite often the one I default to. The nyth is pretty much the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, but it's hard to pick up, and unfortunately that's something that I do almost subconsciously.

Oh yeah, I'm never doing a Razer again. See above about how my SWTOR Razer Synapse's right mouse button is busted. My brother also just tried it, and apparently on his PC (probably due to whatever the hell is up with his shitty USB ports), the LEFT mouse button is also jank. It's also heavy, uncomfortable, and feels slow as shit. They're overpriced paperweights.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have always liked my Razer mice, but I always go for more simple layouts like the deathadder.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    +1 on the Deathadder. I don't even use the drivers for it/their control panel. Is "perfectly fine gaming mouse" really. Not special.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I also like the Razor mice - but only because they remind me of the Intelli Mouse Explorer from Microsoft but with better sensors. Thankfully MS rereleased this mouse model. Should my current mouse fail I’ll get the rereleased model and save myself 40 - 50 Euro bucks. I can’t recommend the Razor Mamba. The wireless reception is god awful. It works fine for a little time then acts up - mouse clicks strangely always register but movements don’t- either it starts lagging behind or doesn’t move at all, then it’s fine for another half an hour. Tried different settings in the software, returned and replaced the mouse - same effects. With a cheap Logitech Office mouse I can control the PC from another room. Moved the Mamba to HTPC duty in the living room where it works better unless somebody or the cat stands between it and the receiver or if I move outside the limited “almost 2,5m” range.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I have always liked my Razer mice, but I always go for more simple layouts like the deathadder.

Razer's original claim to fame was making sleeker mice that worked well with people who prefer to use finger grips on the mouse instead of resting their palm on it. A chunkier MMO mouse goes against that ethos and it does seem like most people who've complained about Razer products have had an MMO mouse die on them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I am 90% sure my brother's USB ports are suspect, because my ancient 3 button workhorse Logitech freaks out when he uses it. That's why he borrowed my Redragon.

Apparently, this is a Known Issue with Redragons, in that they will just decide that they're not gonna work anymore, fam, fuck you. I found my ancient old SWTOR promotional Razer Synapse (won in a contest!) with the broken right mouse button, and it's working just fine (besides a busted right mouse button).

SO

I ordered the G600 because it's on sale and it looks really lovely and as noted above I've found Logitechs to be Extremely Solid mice.

The g600 is a fantastic mouse, I hope you enjoy it.

When mine died I tried out the corsair moo mouse. It is also lovely, but the scroll wheel is dying on me now. I think I prefer the corsair moo on the whole, but it is a pretty penny to replace.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I love the SteelSeries Rival 600
    https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-600

It came with eight little cube shaped 4g weights, to be inserted in the internal sides of the mouse based on your weight preferences. I used four of them (two on each side) to make the weight just right. The sensors are great for high accuracy, low sensitivity Overwatch play in which I have to lift the mouse often.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Ever since the middle mouse button in my SteelSeries literally collapsed and the right click on my Razer broke, I've been Logi all the way.

Now, most people don't use the death grip I do on mice so it's probably not much of an issue but

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Unless you need all the buttons, I'd recommend the Logitech G403 over the G600. I use the wireless variant and find it very pleasing to hold and extremely responsive (and a wired connection would only make it more so).

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the Logitech G-502 is the supreme human interface device.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png