As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    Trying to sell my house and having the inspection tomorrow. I think it'll be fine, but what if it's not? I'm incredibly anxious about it, which is killing me since I'm not normally ever anxious! Send alcohol!

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    It's the small things. I had moisture on the floor in the bathroom near the rear of the toilet. Over a few days it became a bit of a damp area. After wiping it up and checking around, I thought the fill line had a leak. After more fiddling around and cramming myself into the small area it seemed it was leaking at the intake valve seal. A quick run to Lowe's and a replacement intake is replaced and no more leak. I don't know how much I saved but I do feel better having done it myself.

50433.png?1708759015
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Masamune42 wrote: »
    Trying to sell my house and having the inspection tomorrow. I think it'll be fine, but what if it's not? I'm incredibly anxious about it, which is killing me since I'm not normally ever anxious! Send alcohol!

If it's bad, you don't want to buy the house so you're dodging a bullet. If it's good, piece of mind. 2 good outcomes.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    schuss wrote: »

If it's bad, you don't want to buy the house so you're dodging a bullet. If it's good, piece of mind. 2 good outcomes.

selling, not buying. If it's bad, they're likely going to need to outlay some money.

• Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

selling, not buying. If it's bad, they're likely going to need to outlay some money.

Yep, selling. The big thing to come out of it is some legit water-in-basement concerns so... I'll see what they want to do about it tomorrow. Stomach kind of in knots with the waiting because I'd love for this to go through.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I offloaded my last house with an HVAC system that was on its very last legs. The inspector didn't catch it, and I feel kind of bad about it sometimes. I mean, not $4000 bad, especially since the person buying it was just investing in it for a rental property, but still.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Oh god they accepted our offer!

So much stuff to do!

Thankfully my father in law is a builder so can do most of the work that needs doing. It needs carpets and tiling in the bathrooms.

It's a beautiful bungalow conversion which was only started last year by the current owner who is a builder. Unfortunately he's now divorcing his wife so is selling the house he was converting in to a family home.

weug8c555eng.jpg

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We’ve dropped off the keys to our old house, went to our farewell party, and tomorrow we begin our long trek to Washington.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Oh god they accepted our offer!

So much stuff to do!

Thankfully my father in law is a builder so can do most of the work that needs doing. It needs carpets and tiling in the bathrooms.

It's a beautiful bungalow conversion which was only started last year by the current owner who is a builder. Unfortunately he's now divorcing his wife so is selling the house he was converting in to a family home.

weug8c555eng.jpg

I love seeing some of the different styles of homes everyone posts up every know and then. I mean, I dig ours and I like where we live, but it feels like house architecture here is really boring. Even our older houses in the city seem boring. Are they boring or is it just because what we're used to seeing day in and day out?

Anyhow, that's a cool looking house. Congrats on the new place.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I think it depends more on the era then the geographic area. For sure some of it is just what you're used to.

Like in the US when soldiers were returning from the Wars, a lot of quick neighborhoods were slapped up to handle the demand. They just built very similar homes to get them up quickly.

Ever since the Zillow thing - and I think because she's wrapping up school - Worst of McMansions have been doing more architecture articles and less McMansions. All good reads if you're interested in that sort of thing.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I'll have to check that out. I think it's a problem with modern housing construction as well out in the suburbs. Probably with one company building an entire neighborhood and selecting 2 to 4 different floor plans for every house. I mean, we looked at so many houses that I could start to see many of their floor plans in my mind by just looking at the front of the house picture. There was only one that really surprised me and if the basement would have been just a touch bigger we totally would have bought that house. It was so cool. Our street has 1 house with a unique floor plan and that's quite rare around here. All of the other houses on our street are 1 of 3 other designs. A lot of streets around here have 2 and they just alternate. It just kind of bores me. Although, I guess housing architecture of suburbs was never meant to thrill.

I guess if I ever get a stupid amount of money I'll have something built and can stipulate some of that stuff.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The house's new hat is coming along nicely:

BAgnz3Tl.jpg

Although this was the result of their scaffolding tidy-up this morning:

0x4C0xDl.jpg

The safest way of getting old batons off the roof is just to tip them over the edge when you're sure there's no-one below.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so we're looking at doing some retro-fit double glazing.

Had the guys come out, do the quote, and it's surprisingly affordable. A lot less than I was expecting considering that almost the entire north-facing side of the house is giant windows/ranch sliders.

We're likely going to just do our bedroom, the baby's room, and the front hallway. Since we have X amount of money saved up and want to use it for either/both double glazing and new-to-us car.

I mean we could, in theory, do the entire house. But that would mean no new car. Which would make me sadness. Gonna go for the tinted windows and argon gas filled window gap. Using existing joinery and just putting an extra pane on there.

We looked at another company that uses acrylic and magnets which sounded neat on first blush, but once I did more research it was just... not feasible with out how doors/windows worked and our lifestyle at all.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The last time someone I knew had some double-glazed windows installed, the argon filling turned out to cost a lot and make very little difference. If it's relatively inexpensive then go for it, but in this person's case it would have been cheaper to get triple glazing for a much higher gain in thermal insulating efficiency.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We made it to washington, now we’re unpacking the first pod.

Then on Friday the second pod arrives so we’ll unpack that too

Then oh crap we have so much stuff

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it's more that the argon comes with the tinting on the windows. which is going to be far more important for us than the gas, i think.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    it's more that the argon comes with the tinting on the windows. which is going to be far more important for us than the gas, i think.

Cool! You should also be able to get tint film applied to the glass without it, but if that's a free throw in then that definitely helps tilt the value for money scale back in your direction.

Alright my legs are very sore from going up and down the stairs a lot yesterday.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    all eight of them?

(Like a normal human father, of course.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    We handed the keys to our apartment over yesterday. So now everything in our house is what we own. All of it.

This is a very weird feeling.

But its going to be 74 today and THE SECOND I get home I am having a local beer on my porch because this is EXACTLY the day I said "my house needs to have a yard with a porch" for.

THIS IS IT.

As a fun aside: I added a birdfeeder because I love birds and man squirrels are the worst. As a temporary fix I've put a box, upside down, through the center of the pole to the feeder and it stopped them, but it rained yesterday and fell down. We have one squirrel with no tail who visits though and it is bizarre.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm hoping this year we can sort out the lounge and bathroom. Then it's just cosmetic things really that should be cheap and potentially doable ourselves. I'm very much looking forward to that

Although a voice in my head does just say "fuck it. Well up and move to somewhere big and nice but not in town"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We hired a guy to "power rake" our lawn, along with some basic spring cleanup. He said he will reseed any bare patches.

I assume the flipper guy we bought from just mowed and left the clippings, as the thatch is really thick so honestly there's not much more damage this guy can do.

Anyone else get power raked? How much of a difference should I expect?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    are you sure this isn't a sex thing?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    are you sure this isn't a sex thing?

I mean, I don't have the money to pay for the power rake so...

MichaelLC on
    you did pay for your lawn to get seeded though, at least

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I just wired the down payment for my new house.

My once bountiful bank account. :(

Closing tomorrow, moving Saturday.

• AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    House thread, I beseech thee...

How bad is it to have a willow tree in your backyard?

My grandparents had 2 really beautiful willows on their back lot that they eventually cut down due to invasive species. However I know their roots go everywhere..

I am looking to buy my first house and this place is basically excellent(down the street from a good friend, well within my price range, neighbor only on one side, conservation lands surrounding, and a nice 3 seasons room to serve s a catio) but a willow not far from the house in the backyard. I know if the root hit the septic its bad times, anyone have any experience with this?

Well we unpacked the second pod today

Now we have EVEN MORE STUFF to go through

on the other hand, I at least have my PC set up and on my desk now. Hooray!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Over the past two days I have assembled three beds, a sofa, a tv console, my desk, a set of drawers and now I have started on the first of three dressers.

My back feels like that of an eighty year old and my hands are numb and I can barely bend my fingers.

I also broke three fingernails on one hand when trying to get the pod door open. A mattress had fallen against the door and there was a small metal lip that kept catching on the bottom of the mattress. Mori’s dad was trying to jack the door open forcefully (to no avail) and to help I jammed my fingers up along the bottom and pushed the mattress away enough to lift the door open. Bye bye fingernails.

We’re getting there - with furniture, at least!

House has a nice layout, although we have a communal kitchen again we do have our own, large living space.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Well I have been packing for when I get my keys on April 5th and yesterday my father died (he was sick and we were expecting it to happen soon but it still sucks). So now I'm doing everything I need to do for the various services and things, and the sale is still going ahead as planned. This is going to be a frantic week.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry to hear that, Taya. :bro:

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I’ve sort of cleared a play area for the kids in our living space

Of course that means that the boxes I moved are now in ANOTHER area but we’re getting there

I opened a bunch of boxes that had been more or less sealed since... we moved in with my parents 5+ years ago? So that was kinda fun. Nice to have books on shelves, anyway.

Also I found our Newsradio DVDs!

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    We hired a guy to "power rake" our lawn, along with some basic spring cleanup. He said he will reseed any bare patches.

I assume the flipper guy we bought from just mowed and left the clippings, as the thatch is really thick so honestly there's not much more damage this guy can do.

Wait, mowing and leaving the clippings is bad?
    I assumed that using a mulching mower made it ok.

Maybe that is why my lawn is perennially shitty.

chamberlain on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have never once watered, fertilized, or removed the clippings from a lawn and mine are always green and nice

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    You mean I have to pack all my spices and corn starch and brown sugar and all that too?! God damn.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Wait, mowing and leaving the clippings is bad?
    I assumed that using a mulching mower made it ok.

Maybe that is why my lawn is perennially shitty.

The answer is a very solid "maybe". There are a great number of factors involved with lawn care, all of which you can control with various amounts of money invested. Catching and bagging your clippings, while running the mower one notch lower than normal at the very start of spring (so, around now for the north hemisphere, depending on your particular latitude) is generally helpful for two reasons:
    1. Most weeds tend to start coming out of dormancy sooner than many common grasses, so bagging will help control seeds from spreading through your lawn.
    2. Reducing the total amount of clutter from mulched dead grass and weeds means emerging grass shoots have less to compete with for sunlight access.

Generally once the lawn is established it's fine to just mulch everything up and leave it to decompose. There's an amount of nutrients that will reenter the soil this way, and it also allows things that eat plant matter to have something to chew on for a bit that isn't the grass you're trying to cultivate. After fighting my lawn for a couple of years to try to get it to be nothing but grass, I've resigned myself to the fact that it's ok for parts of it to be made up of clover, lemongrass, and the like. Biodiversity!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Clover is really good for reintroducing nitrates. Having grass only is difficult to maintain because you're fighting a natural ecosystem rather than working with it.

edited April 2018
    Never mind, I guess I will never upload a photo here again since none of my cameras take pictures below the file size limit.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
    upload to imgur

I do! And then the links don't work here! Maybe the mobile forums are shit, I dunno anymore!

This discussion has been closed.