As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TERA] Game coming to an End in June

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Hell, one of the problems I originally had was that I felt like I was missing chunks of the story and I'm sure that's because instances (which I always get the shittiest players possible, it's a fucking curse) were level dependent and I'd either level out of them, or not realize when one came up until it was past time to go do them. Because I, too, am a completionist, but I'd avoid the instances so I could do all the quests in them at once. Like ripping off a band-aid. I never wanted to do an instance more than once, because I always get some combo of "races ahead", "racist fucker", "carried by the party/AFK" and "LEEEEWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTT okaykthxbye".

Like, in the Kingdoms of Amalur (aka, that single player MMOG), I did every quest. Every last one. That's my preferred way of playing games.

When I played in the xbone beta, once I leveled past the match make for the dungeon I was easily able to solo it, then again I played brawler which I heard was easy mode?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, I like to do all the quests and stuff anyway.

I think you can still do instances, you just can't use the matchmaking tool for them?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hell, one of the problems I originally had was that I felt like I was missing chunks of the story and I'm sure that's because instances (which I always get the shittiest players possible, it's a fucking curse) were level dependent and I'd either level out of them, or not realize when one came up until it was past time to go do them. Because I, too, am a completionist, but I'd avoid the instances so I could do all the quests in them at once. Like ripping off a band-aid. I never wanted to do an instance more than once, because I always get some combo of "races ahead", "racist fucker", "carried by the party/AFK" and "LEEEEWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTT okaykthxbye".

Like, in the Kingdoms of Amalur (aka, that single player MMOG), I did every quest. Every last one. That's my preferred way of playing games.

Yessss, I hate MMOs that push you out of dungeon LFGs just because you're above level. Like I kinda get it, that it's there so some jackass doesn't ruin the fun for others but at the same time I really don't wanna be yelling in a chat-channel every five minutes asking for a party just because I'm now too buff for the dungeon's level cap but not buff enough to solo it. If you're gonna put story in a dungeon, at least give a solo run option so that we may not get the best loot but we at least know what's going on with the plot.

Owenashi on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Yessss, I hate MMOs that push you out of dungeon LFGs just because you're above level. Like I kinda get it, that it's there so some jackass doesn't ruin the fun for others but at the same time I really don't wanna be yelling in a chat-channel every five minutes asking for a party just because I'm now too buff for the dungeon's level cap but not buff enough to solo it. If you're gonna put story in a dungeon, at least give a solo run option so that we may not get the best loot but we at least know what's going on with the plot.

That's what level sync options are for. It's not like it's hard to set stats to a cap.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited March 2018
    IDK, I just messed up and I have to redo manor, so I'm bummed about that, but I can solo it or something at a higher level, I suppose.

really wish I could have played the game with its original progression.

tastydonuts on
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    IDK, I just messed up and I have to redo manor, so I'm bummed about that, but I can solo it or something at a higher level, I suppose.

I remember its original progression. Trust me, you may not be a fan of it now, but it was much worse back then.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    edited March 2018

I remember its original progression. Trust me, you may not be a fan of it now, but it was much worse back then.

Bleeding up levels doing the absolute minimum of stuff is kind of killing the game for me though. Especially given how uneven the XP gains are in the quests. :\

edit: or if you want to force me up into higher levels, at least give me a difficulty modifier so I'm actually challenged along the way.

tastydonuts on
    Sooo... skipping the zone quests and doing only story ones as much as possible has mitigated the bloat slightly... however I still ran into a time paradox because the obvious badguy is now both alive and dead as far as the world goes... but about to fix that. I was actually kind of split into three points thanks to my level or something? IDK... just going to stick to a strict sequential order to avoid this happening again though.

The only other time I ran into this issue was in STO when there were several old missions that only used level to determine when the quests would unlock, but eh.

I also burned through Saravash's Ascent as it was about to drop out of the matchmaking range for me and I have no idea what it was about. What was it about? :confused:

so yesterday I completed that Samael quest and the game gave me undergarments as a reward. I also confirmed that Samael is indeed Colonel Tigh.

Then I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to equip the underwear and worrying if I was taking off my normal armor to do so but apparently it lives in its own slot and that makes sense in the sense that undergarments can give you 3001 extra HP... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    so yesterday I completed that Samael quest and the game gave me undergarments as a reward. I also confirmed that Samael is indeed Colonel Tigh.

Then I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to equip the underwear and worrying if I was taking off my normal armor to do so but apparently it lives in its own slot and that makes sense in the sense that undergarments can give you 3001 extra HP... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MMOG Logic.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Are there other underwear you can get with better bonuses? man... never thought I'd be asking that.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The underwear have insane stats. I haven't played in a long time now, so I don't know what the current options are, but just go to an auction dude and look at the underwear listings. There used to be lots of options, depending on what stats you are looking for.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Anybody hopping in on the PS4? It'd be neat to get a group of some sort together

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    This game basically did ALL the drugs in the design phase, didn't it.

Moridin889 wrote: »
    Anybody hopping in on the PS4? It'd be neat to get a group of some sort together

Ditto this for the XB1 version whenever the download finishes up.

edited April 2018
    The neat thing about this game is the luridity varies by the type of armor worn.

It's also weird that for some of the Amani outfits my toon either has broken her feet to fit into the heels, while in others they keep the feet the same. Wish they were consistent.

Are the newer costumes where they decided to transmog the feet, or did they shift away from doing that?

tastydonuts on
    The neat thing about this game is the luridity varies by the type of armor worn.

It's also weird that for some of the Amani outfits my toon either has broken her feet to fit into the heels, while in others they keep the feet the same. Wish they were consistent.

Are the newer costumes where they decided to transmog the feet, or did they shift away from doing that?

I play(ed) almost exclusively castanics. Their body scars mysteriously appear or disappear with different armors. Consistency is not a thing TERA does well. :/

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited April 2018
    ah, I wasn't sure if that was part of their outfits or their bodies, looking at hte NPCs.

Also, resolved an interesting quest (mostly doing the story stuff to avoid skyrocketing in level faster than I want) where you have to go cut off people's hands for revenge, and when you do you discover that the NPC has been sending people to cut off hands for a while, but at least it's bad people now and it's... strangely meta. lol

edit: I also like how the NPCs respond to my completing a quest and showing them the severed head of the guy I killed as proof has them respond with "this doesn't bring my family back or stop the killing", "that's a bit excessive" and other shades of wtf is wrong with you?

tastydonuts on
    1VS6wIQ.jpg

Got my Berserker up and running. I'm hanging my hat in Basilisk in case any other XB1 players wanna meet up there.

Oh, forgot to mention I'm on Orisk. I think the name is Orisk... starts with an O, lol.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh, forgot to mention I'm on Orisk. I think the name is Orisk... starts with an O, lol.

Is it starts with an O or just something that gives you an O.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2018
    I really wish TERA had a hide-UI function for the console versions. With the UI being in the way if I zoom in on my character, taking clips of cutscenes with them is the best way so far to show off how they look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdT8JVn1ayM

This by the way probably shows you how well tuned the game is at the moment.

Owenashi on
    That "get out of here or headquarters will start to smell of pigling" line made wayyyy more sense back before they completely changed the beginning of the game. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    The server is Orisk.

Also noticed they put out the maid costumes but they have transmog-feet so it's a no go for me. Though maybe players were complaining about the feet before it got flipped? IDK.

I just assumed the pigling thing was a generic insult from Colonel Tigh

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Got me curious, what was the original beginning to this game, and why did they change it?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    Today I hit level 50.

I also acquired my first, crafting recipe... :U

feel like I missed something along the way there, lol.

edited April 2018
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Got me curious, what was the original beginning to this game, and why did they change it?

There was an entirely different starter island, all revolving around Elleon and the First Expedition ("Maybe you're the next Elleon. Velik knows we could use one!"). They gradually reduced the number of quests on it over time (originally it took FOREVER to get through) and then during one or another big update they just got rid of it entirely in favor of this newer, streamlined starter island. But it's still referenced, like in that speech in the video where he says "Everyone is asking me about what you did on the Island of Dawn." I think they gloss over this by now having your character PRETEND to be from the Island of Dawn force? I forget how it all goes now.

The pigling thing comes from one (or several?) of those quests involving killing herds of piglets.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    IceBurner wrote: »

There was an entirely different starter island, all revolving around Elleon and the First Expedition ("Maybe you're the next Elleon. Velik knows we could use one!"). They gradually reduced the number of quests on it over time (originally it took FOREVER to get through) and then during one or another big update they just got rid of it entirely in favor of this newer, streamlined starter island. But it's still referenced, like in that speech in the video where he says "Everyone is asking me about what you did on the Island of Dawn." I think they gloss over this by now having your character PRETEND to be from the Island of Dawn force? I forget how it all goes now.

The pigling thing comes from one (or several?) of those quests involving killing herds of piglets.

Yeah. The reason over the lie is that the commander that led the Federation forces on the new island feels that the mystery man with the Argons is also part of the Federation's forces, so he doesn't want to tip him off that the new guy that's joining up happens to be a close friend of the kids the Argons tried to do away with alongside the tree.

edited April 2018
    how does cross server instancing work?

edit: wow, drop penalty is kind of steep. I'm level 53 and if I complete a dungeon I'll hit level 54 and fall out of matchmaking. the group ignores my asking if they're going to do the quest part of the dungeon twice, and starts to move to the next boss. so I drop. But really game, if you're going to push people out of MM due to level and not make your dungeon so people can't boss rush you have to be a little more lenient than that. /shrug

tastydonuts on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Finished the first island and go to level 12 or so on the xbox. Boy this version runs like GARBAGE compared to PC. everything feels very jankey and delayed and when i was in the giant town the lag spikes were out of this world. I can't believe how poor it is comparatively. pretty disappointing.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited April 2018
    Slight but annoying inconvenience, when loading the game does it take you directly to the character select screen for random servers that you don't even have toons on?

edit: also omg this quest system is annoying. Doing the quest chain for killing Akasha and it didn't progress to the actual step to kill her (you have to interact with the thing to do that) and now I have to redo the instance and kill her and I outlevelled the MM by completing the quest and ugh. have to redo three instances to clear a story because of this now. :T

tastydonuts on
    edited April 2018
    So today in Tera, I was reminded of how much I dislike rare spawn mobs and their timers.

Also really annoyed at the whole gimpy run speed thing in combat too.

edit: Mounts are also excruciatingly slow... especially when trying to get to rare spawn locations.

tastydonuts on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I've been kinda itching for an MMO specifically on the console rather than PC, and Tera threw a PS4 ad up at me. I played a decent bit on PC awhile back, but hell that was awhile back. How is this on consoles these days?

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I've been kinda itching for an MMO specifically on the console rather than PC, and Tera threw a PS4 ad up at me. I played a decent bit on PC awhile back, but hell that was awhile back. How is this on consoles these days?

Firstly: what kind of PS4 do you have? It has performance issues on all platforms and the tier matters a bit.

Elder Scrolls Online is on consoles, and works great. Just sayin'. :wink:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

FF14 is on consoles too.

steam_sig.png

FF14 is on consoles too.

On console to be more precise as it's not on XB1.

Yay... I dinged 60 doing Labyrinth of Terror and now I can't MM for Ebon Tower <3<3<3

Digi, the game is free and really unless you're a completionist, or don't have the bw or space for a 48gb download, trying it yourself is probably your best bet.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I would say it's "fine". The combat is novel, the structure is trad MMO, and in terms of the F2Pness of it it's not awful. Certainly no full-screen alerts like Neverwinter or DCUO.

Runs like a damn pig in cities though, and that's on a OneX.

so having hit 60 I've kind of been dicking around and doing quests and exploring and stuff.

I got the feat for exploring vistas and it says it's increased my damage by .1%... is this as negligible an amount as I'm assuming it is, or are there quirks to the damage math that would make it seem like more than like.... 1 or 2 extra points of damage?