As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Edit: Actually, nevermind, I was thinking of the other Gust game.

This one isn't reviewed particularly highly either though, but it sold okay.

I didn't hear great things about it, but I did want to check it out at one point. I've played plenty of games with mixed reviews that I really liked.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The steam version looks like it has some technical issues. Might be best to pick it up on the PS4.

In other gust related news, I'm about 90% of the way to 100% completion for Rorona plus via NG+. I'm very thankful for the plus version's ending simplifications. I remember vaguely my ex playing the ps3 version and having to very delicately arrange events and such so that a late game save could be reused for the getting of the endings. It's nice just being able to qualify for all of them and then select them one at a time.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Hey gust thread. I just learned of Blue Reflection today. Has anyone checked it out? Magical girl/personal JURP, sounds right up my alley....

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Friend of mine reviewed it and really enjoyed it. She thought it did a great job bringing the feeling of shoujo manga into a game. Her main complaints were technical... an uncomfortable camera angle during exploration and too-small dungeon areas. The combat sounds kinda interesting, too.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I bought it but haven't popped it in yet.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //

any plans to do so this week? I was debating picking it up and playing/streaming it over Last Remnant, which is a game that's been frustrating me in its opaqueness(and hasn't been a ton of fun).

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

any plans to do so this week? I was debating picking it up and playing/streaming it over Last Remnant, which is a game that's been frustrating me in its opaqueness(and hasn't been a ton of fun).

You really need to have the wiki open 24/7 when playing Last Remnant the first time, sadly. It doesn't explaim shit on it's own and there's so many undocumented in-game things. It's one of my favorite rpgs from last gen, but even I realize it's not for everyone.

My final party was a massive battlefield-wide aoe godly mage unit, two special back-attacking Ninja led units with character summons and specials, a beatstick smash unit, and an offensive item/aoe technique unit. But if you don't read the wiki you'd have no idea how to set something like that up.

As for Blue Reflection, it's a possibility I won't get to it till next week or this weekend as I have family visiting and staying over, and they like to hog my tv.

Decided to buy it on a whim. I'm gonna stream it tomorrow, so I'll @ you when I do that Phy. We'll see how it is.

Blue Reflection Update:

I'm about 2 hours in, just cleared the first major boss.

So far it's pretty good. The characters show some real promise, the battle system has some real nice looking intricacies, and I'm definitely intrigued as to where the game's going to go.

I'm concerned it'll end up being too easy but we shall see.

Definitely recommend as of this point.

It seems pretty easy yeah. Not too far into it myself, but it very much seems like it's deliberately created as an an easy relaxing game (and will probably be on the shorter side as well). There's a 'day' system for social linkish actions, but it's unlimited so to speak. There's no actual callender. You choose when you want to move on from the IF/THEN block once you've met the minimum requirements for more story. Similarly, random battles only drop items, not exp so you never have to grind at all.

Levels come from the social link stuff, which also drop items you equip to modify skills. Depending on your dialog choice, you get either a positive emotion that has one effect and boosts the character relationship, our you get a negative emotion that all seem to be actually better items/accessories but you don't boost your character bonds.

Negatives so far is that the optional costumes seem to be stupid and don't do anything in battle as the magical girl costumes overwrite them, making them even more pointless.

The big story bosses have awesome monster designs.

So far so good on Blue Reflection. Would definitely recommend people check it out.

Blue Reflection Update:

So far it's pretty good. The characters show some real promise, the battle system has some real nice looking intricacies, and I'm definitely intrigued as to where the game's going to go.

Well, truth be told, one of Gust's things is their games being a little too easy. And when they tried to make games difficult, like with Ar Nosurge, it wasn't so much difficult as it was imbalanced to the point that it was impossible to beat. So I'll take the games being easy, in fact I consider it a plus now... I play Gust games for all things other than their combat most of the time, with a few exceptions.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Yeah, GUST games are typically broken over the knee very quickly. I'm looking for story, characters, music, setting and visuals when I play GUST games. Difficult, challenging gameplay isn't a priority even though I did do self-imposed challenges like minimal levels/no gear upgrades in Artonelico 2

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Blue Reflection Update:

Well, truth be told, one of Gust's things is their games being a little too easy. And when they tried to make games difficult, like with Ar Nosurge, it wasn't so much difficult as it was imbalanced to the point that it was impossible to beat. So I'll take the games being easy, in fact I consider it a plus now... I play Gust games for all things other than their combat most of the time, with a few exceptions.

You can definitely control your leveling in this game pretty easily if you want (since you have to actually manually level up each time).

The game's been pretty cool so far.

*checks Blue Reflection on Steam*

*sees $80 Season Pass*

Alright... this is some Bandai-Namco Costume DLC avalanche level of bullshit. Hopefully this doesn't become a regular thing for them.

wbee62u815wj.png
    *checks Blue Reflection on Steam*

*sees $80 Season Pass*

Alright... this is some Bandai-Namco Costume DLC avalanche level of bullshit. Hopefully this doesn't become a regular thing for them.

The dlc is all costumes and bad. Avoid.

edited October 2017
    So I reached the point in Atelier Sophie where I basically got every recipe book and the game is basically telling me to go nuts. I'm having a lot of fun with the game though I have a few caveats.

The combat is pretty average for an Atelier game, which is honestly something I was expecting. I'm not really cool with the concept of the last person going gets the combo move, because then it's merely the slowest person that goes every time typically.

The level being maxed at only 20 is... disappointing at the very least. I mean yeah, ability points are nice and I'm used to them, but it's not a replacement for a level. In the previous trilogy you had both, this just seems like some arbitrary grinding option that fails in my eyes.

Finding ways to make specific alchemy headway in this game seems like they tried a little too hard to make recipes a puzzle. And some are just... sitting in chests in certain areas? That's maybe one of the lamest ways of coming up with recipes. That's not even a puzzle, that's just 'hope you head to this area and find it!' I don't like using guides for these games, but they made it a bit mandatory in this game, and that kinda sucks.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    Alright, at the end game part of Atelier Sophie, should definitely finish it this week despite being on call, and it's looking doubtful I'll be able to platinum it like I wanted. Because FUCK that Light Elemental... especially if there's a boss after her that may be worse. I'll try a few more times with different tactics to defeat her, but I don't have the time or inclination to cheat the alchemy system in order to beat it. This will just be another time I nope out of an optional fight because the requirements are terrible.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Mr. AlienMr. Alien Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Everything would be so much better if literally anybody would ever stand up to his complete crap. Instead, he lives on an unassailable pedestal of always being super right about everything, despite his insufferable BS being somewhere between superficial nonsense and lipservice.
    I completely agree with everybody on Keithgriff, I can't stand that character. I actually love Ayesha because she's pretty much the opposite of my usual preferred heroine. She's the uber-feminine type of character who is never seen as heroic in games. And yet she does what she has to do to save her sister. I think that's really neat. I do hate how she interacts with Keithgriff... and yet, in some ways that's realistic. I've known a lot of women and girls who don't like to stand up to men like him, as much as I really wish they would. That you can have trouble being assertive yet still be a hero is a pretty good message for young girls. Stupid (partial failure state) pie-baking ending aside.

Clearly, you miss the part in Ayesha where Ayesha disagreed with his assessments. First, he talked about how alchemy could do horrible things and Ayesha replied how it could do wonderful things too. Then, he said that alchemy might not be the one that's evil, but it was humanity who abused it. But Ayesha disagreed with that too, saying there are a lot of wonderful and good people out there. Then, he brought her to Steinfeder to show the alchemically created murder weapon of the past, yet it still didn't change her mind.

And in Shallie Plus, even after seven years travelling with him, she was still as bright and optimistic as ever. Hell, she even got so used to him, his grouchiness didn't do anything to her anymore. She knew he was just one big tsundere (the makers of the game actually called him such in their commentaries in Ayesha). He failed to turn her into a cynic like him. And she even got him to stop smoking tobacco and start smoking her healthier herbs instead.

Ayesha's whole existence called out his cynicism and pessimism, especially since in Shallie Plus, she already inherited all of his alchemy skills, making her his equal.

Truthfully I think this is only the case if you thought Keith would just let the world die. I think this has less to do about Keith being an ass, and more about Keith's teaching methods... which I agree aren't ideal. Basically when anyone wants to learn from him, he gives them a premise and a result and then 'go study'... and that's about it. Trick is Keith's shown to be completely fine with doing things on his own, he's just demonstrably cynical of everyone else.

I mean, he doesn't let Nio die... if Ayesha fails, he just shows up with Nio at game end and goes 'maybe alchemy isn't your thing', and leaves. If the Shallies didn't actually fix the issue with the water, something tells me Keith and Ayesha would've just gone and done it themselves with a little help. Keith is okay about giving people time to do it themselves, but he gets shit done if someone's taking too long. He's a terrible teacher, but he's not a monster.

Keith's teaching method is actually pretty common in the series. Rorona only taught Totori the basics, and Sophie said to Firis to learn on her own after teaching her the basics since she said inspiration from looking at the world is the most important aspect for an alchemist.

The only one that actually taught her student all the way was Totori with Meruru, which was nicely represented with Meruru learning a bunch of recipes automatically after she reached a certain alchemy level, with a cutscene of her sitting with Totori reading books.

Most Atelier heroines seem to be prodigies capable of self-study.

And Keith actually taught Ayesha in the seven years they're together. He should teach her about modern-style alchemy at the very least.

I like Keith. He's grumpy but he's not an asshole.

He's a giant ball of misanthropy. Same as Miruca actually. They both didn't care if humanity were to end and Miruca actually criticized Keith for not destroying Central's alchemy research more thoroughly. And they both only liked certain people that they had approved of, not caring about the rest.
    Alright, at the end game part of Atelier Sophie, should definitely finish it this week despite being on call, and it's looking doubtful I'll be able to platinum it like I wanted. Because FUCK that Light Elemental... especially if there's a boss after her that may be worse. I'll try a few more times with different tactics to defeat her, but I don't have the time or inclination to cheat the alchemy system in order to beat it. This will just be another time I nope out of an optional fight because the requirements are terrible.

At what difficulty? In lower difficulties, you shouldn't need rare post-endgame traits to beat it.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Hey.

My dudes.

You might like this.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Hey.

My dudes.

You might like this.

Yeah, the third kinda snuck up on me, like a lot of others Atelier games. Not a lot of fanfare, and there's a LOT I'm still working on in the background. Definitely have to finish Firis soon so I can start to work on this.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Also, kinda odd but... this latest Atelier game apparently was released on the Switch as well. Kinda odd to start with the last in a trilogy, but hey... more people have access I guess.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Very good odds they'll port the other two to Switch at some point, but I imagine it made the most business sense at the time to get on the Switch train immediately using the title they were already working on.

Oh man, what if this kicks off another atelier plus run, but on the switch? I might actually have to buy a switch if that is the case.

In other news, I 100% the non post game Rorona a few months back, and I started my Totori playthrough tonight.

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    In other news, I 100% the non post game Rorona a few months back, and I started my Totori playthrough tonight.

Congrats. I haven't 100% any of the Atelier games so far. I've gotten the normal endings on the Arland ones, and I have yet to finish any of the Dusk or Mysterious ones, despite owning all of them except the latest one(and I'm still waiting for Shallie plus to finally go on sale so I can have a complete set on my Vita, but I have the PS3 version if I ever get that far before it does go on sale).

Congrats. I haven't 100% any of the Atelier games so far. I've gotten the normal endings on the Arland ones, and I have yet to finish any of the Dusk or Mysterious ones, despite owning all of them except the latest one(and I'm still waiting for Shallie plus to finally go on sale so I can have a complete set on my Vita, but I have the PS3 version if I ever get that far before it does go on sale).

It wasn't very hard to do everything. Some of it pretty much has to be done in new game plus (the rich ending, for instance, requires an amount of money pretty much unattainable without having a lot of extra in-game days after you unlock the last areas, which you won't have in your first playthrough). I just played through the game normally for my first playthrough, and then did NG+ for the 100%. You keep your atelier decorations (like the bigger basket, the item that lets you send stuff right to your container from anywhere, the travel time reduction, etc.), which gives you tons of time to focus on character friendships and such.

I actually liked the NG+ more than the base game, as the removal of any real time constraints made the game very relaxing.

Now that I'm playing Totori, there are most definitely some QoL things that I'm missing, but I really like Totori's voice actress, and I like the overbearing sisterhood shtick going on.

It wasn't very hard to do everything. Some of it pretty much has to be done in new game plus (the rich ending, for instance, requires an amount of money pretty much unattainable without having a lot of extra in-game days after you unlock the last areas, which you won't have in your first playthrough). I just played through the game normally for my first playthrough, and then did NG+ for the 100%. You keep your atelier decorations (like the bigger basket, the item that lets you send stuff right to your container from anywhere, the travel time reduction, etc.), which gives you tons of time to focus on character friendships and such.

I actually liked the NG+ more than the base game, as the removal of any real time constraints made the game very relaxing.

Now that I'm playing Totori, there are most definitely some QoL things that I'm missing, but I really like Totori's voice actress, and I like the overbearing sisterhood shtick going on.

Ahhh. Okay. I never tried NG+ on any of them. I keep meaning to, but always seem to get distracted by other stuff. I still have to get through the regular game of Rorona Plus(I finished Rorona on the regular version, then the Plus version hit. Just wish I could have imported my PS3 save game from the old version so I could have started with NG+, rather than having to go through the game again just to get to NG+).

edited April 2018
    Rorona is still my favorite for having some of the best outfits

srikUhu.jpg
    rrjCwde.jpg

Rorona 2 sweg 4 u

The original trilogy was pretty known for having rather strict timers, especially the first time through and how late you get the ingredients for the time saving equipment. Escha/Logy is I think the first game that doesn't require you to craft those stupid cauldron/basket upgrades, instead allowing you to just flat buy the bonuses with money as they become available. Doing so as each one becomes available gives you more than enough time to complete the goals, typically with a good 30+ days left over to just dick around doing whatever. Shallie is when they just got rid of the time management system entirely(thank god)

Donnicton on

Ahhh. Okay. I never tried NG+ on any of them. I keep meaning to, but always seem to get distracted by other stuff. I still have to get through the regular game of Rorona Plus(I finished Rorona on the regular version, then the Plus version hit. Just wish I could have imported my PS3 save game from the old version so I could have started with NG+, rather than having to go through the game again just to get to NG+).

A big BIG difference between OG Rorona and Rorona plus is the ending 'system'. In OG Rorona you could only get one ending in a single playthrough. You could get multiple endings more easily by having a game save close to the end with the game state being just-so, and then finangling things differently throughout the final assignment to trigger different endings. In Rorona plus they just nixed that entirely; when you finish the game a menu comes up that's basically 'what ending that you qualified for would you like to see?' so you can just do everything and then watch the end multiple times, selecting a different ending each time.

It looks like Totori plus might not have that improvement (I'm not 100% sure because information about the games seems sparse), so I might just follow a guide to get all the endings in one playthrough. Anybody with experience that says otherwise should feel free to speak up.

A big BIG difference between OG Rorona and Rorona plus is the ending 'system'. In OG Rorona you could only get one ending in a single playthrough. You could get multiple endings more easily by having a game save close to the end with the game state being just-so, and then finangling things differently throughout the final assignment to trigger different endings. In Rorona plus they just nixed that entirely; when you finish the game a menu comes up that's basically 'what ending that you qualified for would you like to see?' so you can just do everything and then watch the end multiple times, selecting a different ending each time.

It looks like Totori plus might not have that improvement (I'm not 100% sure because information about the games seems sparse), so I might just follow a guide to get all the endings in one playthrough. Anybody with experience that says otherwise should feel free to speak up.

Totori Plus doesn't have that. I don't think Meruru has that either. Totori Plus came out first, then Meruru Plus, and then Rorona Plus was made(so, it was the game with the most drastic changes from the original PS3 version). I think Totori Plus had the least amount of changes from the original PS3 version(as, IIRC, Meruru got a new ending which was later made into free DLC for the PS3 version, and Rorona had the whole graphical overhaul, and overtime added).

Ugh, missed out on completing the final task sheet on the first playthrough of Escha/Logy because of one recipe I'm missing that you only get from getting Lucille's final friendship event, and because she joins so late in the game I would have apparently needed to keep her in the front row the rest of the game in order to get it. I'm so glad this is the last calendar-based Atelier.

Donnicton wrote: »
    Ugh, missed out on completing the final task sheet on the first playthrough of Escha/Logy because of one recipe I'm missing that you only get from getting Lucille's final friendship event, and because she joins so late in the game I would have apparently needed to keep her in the front row the rest of the game in order to get it. I'm so glad this is the last calendar-based Atelier.

Pretty sure Lydie & Suelle have steady deadlines, though I'm not sure if it's like Shallie and not calendar based, or like Eschatology and are.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Live, I say!

Atelier Arland DX trilogy just hit Steam. Deluxe Pack with all three games. Individual game pages aren't up yet so this might be a prepurchase right now?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    That's pretty cool. This reminds me that I'm still in the middle of Totori, which I should probably go back and finish.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    This thread popping up reminds me that I still need to play AT3.

It was weirdly expensive when I first had a PS3, and when I got one again a while back I had completely forgotten it was a PS3 game and that I could finally play it.

Kamar wrote: »
    This thread popping up reminds me that I still need to play AT3.

It was weirdly expensive when I first had a PS3, and when I got one again a while back I had completely forgotten it was a PS3 game and that I could finally play it.

IMO, AT3 has the worst combat by far, but probably the best story. Now the story takes a LONG time to get good, but it's pretty nice when it does, and is a nice end to the trilogy.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I really liked AT1, and love AT2 wholly disproportionate to how good it may actually be, so I'm sure I'll at least enjoy AT3 and probably will love it.

I'm thinking about it, and I can't think of anything that even contends with AT2 for 'favorite JRPG' in my head, at least as far as traditional JRPGs go.

Kamar on
    Kamar wrote: »
    I really liked AT1, and love AT2 wholly disproportionate to how good it may actually be, so I'm sure I'll at least enjoy AT3 and probably will love it.

I'm thinking about it, and I can't think of anything that even contends with AT2 for 'favorite JRPG' in my head.

I liked AT2 with one caveat. It was the only game where I couldn't get myself to like either of the two main girls. Their back and forth for most of the game I think hurt their personalities more than it fleshed it out. Great game, but Jaqli all the way.

wbee62u815wj.png