As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I keep hitting painters block, so I get something easy out that needs something done to it, like cleaning a model's mold lines, or regluing a model that broke, etc. I find it helps at least get some stuff cleared off the table and sometimes you get motivated to start painting or take care of other chores.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    It's also partially that I hold myself to a substantially higher standard than I did when I was 15 years old (and even then, my painting wasn't egregious), and I have't spent a lot of that time painting.

So, the challenge of getting a dark blue working up to a very light blue/white, with cleanly-delineated spots and seams of fleshy pink, and a decent bone gradient for the weaponry, and black with purple/grey highlights on the armor... is...

Well, I want it to look good!

Also, the GW palette pad is great! I've never used a palette before, and this is awesome! I'm contemplating 'building' a wet palette, but... I'm not sure how necessary that is, and not sure how much I want to thin my paints when I'm having to put a lot of very light colors over darks.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    So the first marine I'd painted in 15 years was the pickle jar marine....
    9dhadcteru1c.png

My wife told me last night, when almost done my Lord of Contagion, that I've improved.

He's done finally this morning, and I think she's right :biggrin:
    635hfzaajofh.jpg
    82297ra9lghk.jpg

Now to find something to base with...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Also, the GW palette pad is great! I've never used a palette before, and this is awesome! I'm contemplating 'building' a wet palette, but... I'm not sure how necessary that is, and not sure how much I want to thin my paints when I'm having to put a lot of very light colors over darks.
    A wet palette has nothing to do with thinning paints - it extends your working time by keeping paint from drying out. The whole point of palettes in general is controlling paint on the brush and giving you a space to work with your paints. The GW pads do their job perfectly well, they let you put paint down, mix it, thin it, do what ever you want with it, and with miniatures, you're generally working with small amounts of paint anyways, so it's not a big deal if you only get five minutes or so of work time out of a particular dab.

I just like my wet palette because a: it lets me do what I want with my paint and keep multiple colors workable while I screw around and do my thing, and it cost me free 99 to make. :biggrin:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Khraul wrote: »
    So the first marine I'd painted in 15 years was the pickle jar marine....
    9dhadcteru1c.png

My wife told me last night, when almost done my Lord of Contagion, that I've improved.

He's done finally this morning, and I think she's right :biggrin:
    635hfzaajofh.jpg
    82297ra9lghk.jpg

Now to find something to base with...

Gross

(but in a good way)

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Kneel wrote: »
    Shitty photo of Vader also in the Legion thread:

9GQASVjl.jpg

That Vader is fantastic, Keany. I love the faint OSL glow from the saber, subtle and top-notch.

Way too many OSL jobs I've seen treat the mini like it's in a pitch black room and it overwhelms the rest of the painting. Yours hits the mark just right.

I'm up to around £500 in confirmed sales of my excess crap, with another £300ish to go.

Oh and I got around to priming the mechanicum cranes, so I have painted something.

Technically.

I finally noticed .com doesn't list your auctions, only .co.uk :(

Also to motivate me to paint more, I'm slowly working on my favorite game ever. Just wish I played it.
    DDbllMk.jpg
    A shitty picture of my Goliaths on my pc desk.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    In-progress models have their charm.

"We will blind our enemies with our white bases and vibrant primary colors!"

I finally noticed .com doesn't list your auctions, only .co.uk :(

International shipping, it is an amazing pain in the ass.

Especially when people try and by from Italy. :bigfrown:

Anyway, enough ripping on the Italian postal system. I don't usually post much in the way of WIP pics, but since I finished the Redemptor, I've been doing _work_

hVm8m8Z.jpg

I'm going to work on the paneling and get that done before I start shading up the gray I've blocked in. I don't want to use that light/dark green combo from the doors over all that side paneling - I think that's a little too much and a little too bright for the whole thing. Does anyone have any recommendations for what they think would look good?

Dull brownish red was my first thought, but would that be too Christmasy with the greens? Maybe a kind of rusty dull orange? Full on browns seem like it would be too much of the same color across the board, to me.

Any thoughts that anyone would like to contribute would be greatly appreciated!

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Going to start painting my Masons for Guild Ball soon. I have them primed and based white. They wear a decent amount of armor, is there any advantage or reason to wash the armor bits with some P3 armor wash and the fleshy parts with some Army Painter flesh tone ink/wash before actually painting the model?

tehjester on
    PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    Yes, because that can be a big help in defining recesses, outlines, and edges that you then work up from. If you've checked out any of the WarhammerTV video links from the thread, you'll note that a wash is usually the step taken after the base color.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    how were the yams

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I forgot about a lot of stuff forgeworld carried when I last played I only remember it when I looked in vain for it

What is guildball? It looks like a blood bowl/dungeon bowl game?

Still when they do washes and oils on the demos on Warhammer Tv they make it look easy

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Its sort of like blood bowl but instead of using an entire team of like 12, you have a squad of 6. You use a captain, a mascot, and four other team members. Each Guild has a theme to it, like the Butchers are the damage dealers, Masons are the balanced team, Morticians are the control guild, Alchemists are all about status effects, so on and so forth. Compared to games like Blood Bowl, it is really simple to actually play. Plus, Steamforged makes some pretty sweet minis to paint!

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Guild Ball

Their booth and demos at Adepticon looked really sweet, but I'm working hard NOT to tempt myself into picking up any further games. I heard a lot of good things about it on the now defunct Eternal Warriors podcast.
    Still when they do washes and oils on the demos on Warhammer Tv they make it look easy

Well, with a little practice, they are pretty easy. I adapted a lot of the things I saw on there into my Redemptor dread, which pretty much took one try to get it right, and lead to me asking myself, "why haven't I always done it this way, it IS so easy!"
    Dayspring wrote: »
    how were the yams

_Amazing._ I make a yam cassarole so good, you'd swear I had your gramma hiding in my kitchen.

Although the bottom has nearly corroded through on that one. Good thing I have a can of turnip greens waiting to be put to use once I'm done with them.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Guildball takes a lot of its core mechanics from Warmachine and Hordes at the very least in a inspired by way.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    What @Gabriel_Pitt doesn't realize is that I got a free copy of the 2 player Guild Ball starter in my swag bag at last NOVA and it's going to find its still-shrink-wrapped way into his suitcase while he crashes at my house next week.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    But who's going to get my copy?

• Options
    I'm goingnto get back to Chicago and think my suitcase is a magic portal that turns underwear into copies of Guild Ball. :D

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’m starting to work on a bunch of bloodletters and assorted Khorne stuff, but I’m not sure what scheme I want to go with for the fleshy stuff.
    All the metals are going to be bright shiny gold and gloss black, but I just got finished with a big blood and bone tyranid army so those colors are right out for the daemons.

Thinking something like a mottled green, like those Galapagos ocean iguanas. Just a bunch of dirty blackish-green lizard monsters with swords.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    ait29su9e3k6.jpg
    u70sqtn721cn.jpg
    imtt05erbz3h.jpg

• Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Sorry to spam, but I took some better pictures with a "lightbox". Shhhhhh....
    006kakcs9jb5.jpg
    qv8yb8n8eo5h.jpg

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I only awesomed the second because I am pro-Skubb.

Edit: and because it's awesome.
    Edit edit: But mostly because of the pro-Skubb thing.

see317 on
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’m starting to work on a bunch of bloodletters and assorted Khorne stuff, but I’m not sure what scheme I want to go with for the fleshy stuff.
    All the metals are going to be bright shiny gold and gloss black, but I just got finished with a big blood and bone tyranid army so those colors are right out for the daemons.

Thinking something like a mottled green, like those Galapagos ocean iguanas. Just a bunch of dirty blackish-green lizard monsters with swords.

Sounds like a good scheme to me. That'd be an intetrstimg variation on the usual coloration.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I only awesomed the second because I am pro-Skub.

There is no reason to be so aggressive about this.
    PBF020-Skub.gif

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

PBF020-Skub.gif

Look at this no-skubber over here.
    Doesn't know that the joy of skub is the only thing worth fighting for.

• Options

PBF020-Skub.gif

I bet he paints straight from the pot too.:snap:

• Options
    edited March 2018

PBF020-Skub.gif

I bet he paints straight from the pot too.:snap:

Duh, brushes don't fit inside the dropper bottles!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I finally painted something again - a Malifaux Gremlin, Trixibelle.

939701_sm-.jpeg

939699_sm-.jpeg

939700_sm-.jpeg

• Options
    edited March 2018
    My dropfleet commander order came in today (from the TTCombat takeover sale). Actually having stuff in hand, I have no regrets even if these miniatures probably cost too much for what they are. But fuck, the detail is just ... _figurative drool_.
    I got two battleships and a non-kickstarter battlecruiser (to go along with the 2 kickstarter ones), and man are they huge. I mean, I had some expectations because it's not like the cruisers in the game are small, but like ... Jesus. At some point in my life I'm going to have a really good time with all the UCM dropfleet stuff. I wish the game was better, but at least I've got a bunch of rad spaceship minis~

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    My dropfleet commander order came in today (from the TTCombat takeover sale). Actually having stuff in hand, I have no regrets even if these miniatures probably cost too much for what they are. But fuck, the detail is just ... _figurative drool_.
    I got two battleships and a non-kickstarter battlecruiser (to go along with the 2 kickstarter ones), and man are they huge. I mean, I had some expectations because it's not like the cruisers in the game are small, but like ... Jesus. At some point in my life I'm going to have a really good time with all the UCM dropfleet stuff. I wish the game was better, but at least I've got a bunch of rad spaceship minis~

I just bought some DZC infantry to use for another game, kinda based on pictures alone. They look so good.

It's kind of a shame there aren't more options for 10mm scale sci-fi figs on the market. Also, like, 90% of that market is based in the UK for...reasons?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I finally painted something again - a Malifaux Gremlin, Trixibelle.

939701_sm-.jpeg

939699_sm-.jpeg

939700_sm-.jpeg

B-b-b-But goblins aren't supposed to look like that!!!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I just bought some DZC infantry to use for another game, kinda based on pictures alone. They look so good.

It's kind of a shame there aren't more options for 10mm scale sci-fi figs on the market. Also, like, 90% of that market is based in the UK for...reasons?

I'm pretty sure the reason is that wargaming is far and away more popular in the UK than almost anywhere else in the world by a pretty silly margin. It's a shame the hobby isn't bigger in NA.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    H.G Wells, Napoleon/Wellington, Operation Overlord and Games Workshop, pretty much. With a side of Tolkein.

First is reputed to have written the first rule set for wargames with toy soldiers, second is one of the most popular settings and reason why mass battle systems are this mix of morale/limited shooting/brutal melee. Overlord had actual big maps and 'toy soldiers' on it in to chart the progression of the invasion (like the battle of Britain maps where fighter and bomber squadrons were shuffled across a huge map to track their progress). Games workshop turned this niche hobby into something you could find on most high streets.

Highstreet in the US is a different beast than the UK (mostly due to car use and population density), and until recently language barriers have still been quite a big deal with translating things to the rest of Europe. GW were not going to be easily able to replicate the success of their stores in the UK in the 90s to Europe in the 00s, and are now competing even more against video games etc - without a previous generation being really into historicals and airfix kits, and seeing this as the closest thing to their old hobbies.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    H.G Wells...

...First is reputed to have written the first rule set for wargames with toy soldiers

He didn't invent the ruleset entirely solo, but with help from others modernized the concept with his own game titled "Little Wars", and was the first to widely distribute a printed ruleset/history of the game in 1913 (which is a fascinating read if anyone is curious).

Basically the players used lead soldiers and shot wooden matchsticks at them with actual miniature "cannons" (if the model fell down, it was a casualty). Later he added rules for close combat, prisoners, calvalry, capturing opponent's cannons, and retreats.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    As a side note, if you go looking for Little Wars (it's public domain), remember that it was written in 1913 so even suggesting that women and girls could play it was incredibly progressive thinking for the time. Because its full title is ... problematic ... when viewed through a modern lens.

It's sure great that the wargaming hobby no longer has so much overt misogyny!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I need color suggestions...

To flesh out my growing Death Guard I picked up another 2 Lords of Contagion from Ebay for like $4 a piece. Planning on running them as a supreme command detachment and painting them as different Vectorums because A) easy identification and B) Fun...

The one at the top of the page is your standard Death Guard Green guy. Planning on doing a Favoured Sons Lord (metal armor, green trim) and a Glooming Lords Lord (Black armor, green trim)

Gloming Lords - Black armor, elysian green trim, different shade of green cape and purple tinted guts? Or maybe purple hued guts and a sackcloth brown cape?

Favoured Sons Lord - Metallic/leadbelcher Armor, Death guard green trim, black cape, whitish-blue corpsey guts?

What colors would make sense for capes and guts?

AGH... then I need contrasting smoke colors and axe hafts as well!!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

To flesh out my growing Death Guard I picked up another 2 Lords of Contagion from Ebay for like $4 a piece. Planning on running them as a supreme command detachment and painting them as different Vectorums because A) easy identification and B) Fun...

The one at the top of the page is your standard Death Guard Green guy. Planning on doing a Favoured Sons Lord (metal armor, green trim) and a Glooming Lords Lord (Black armor, green trim)

Gloming Lords - Black armor, elysian green trim, different shade of green cape and purple tinted guts? Or maybe purple hued guts and a sackcloth brown cape?

Favoured Sons Lord - Metallic/leadbelcher Armor, Death guard green trim, black cape, whitish-blue corpsey guts?

I won't claim to understand much about 40k, but your description makes it sound like they're going to be run as one unit, so that's the angle I'm (perhaps entirely incorrectly) approaching this from. :P
    You would benefit from having something that ties all of them a little closer together as opposed to what would otherwise look like 3 separate mans running around. A good way to do that would be to simply give them all the same colour cape and guts. A shared kneepad design or helmet colour are options that go further, but I don't think they're as recognizable as a big ol' cape will be.

• Options
    edited March 2018

I won't claim to understand much about 40k, but your description makes it sound like they're going to be run as one unit, so that's the angle I'm (perhaps entirely incorrectly) approaching this from.
    :P
    You would benefit from having something that ties all of them a little closer together as opposed to what would otherwise look like 3 separate mans running around. A good way to do that would be to simply give them all the same colour cape and guts. A shared kneepad design or helmet colour are options that go further, but I don't think they're as recognizable as a big ol' cape will be.

Probably... the guys I typically play with get really put off by having a Lord of Contagion (a slow moving, extremely tanky, melee unit that teleports into play) dropped into their backlines while everything else is moving upfield.

I am hoping three dropped in back will be truly unsettling for them.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Ooh, you should try to tie in each one with one of the three skulls of the death guard symbol

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Little off topic, but I've been making my own foam trays instead of painting lately, and it sure does take a while to cut out all these damn slots. The necromunda Goliaths really don't seem to be posed to store well either. But they ARE posed cool.

akirasig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.