As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    For real, folks. We started potty training around 2 years, 7 months. More and less success was had, until we, no joke, went on VACATION aka a POTTY ADVENTURE at 3years, 2 months, and then the damned child peed in the potty every time while we were gone. And that was that. Pooping happened about the same way, utterly by accident at 3 years 5 months, and now it is consistent as hell.

Don't beat yourself up too much, just keep trying, it'll come.

I'm not beating myself up, I know it'll happen when it happens

I just don't wanna change any more godamn diapers

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Our 4 year old is a full-on toilet inspector. If he knows we're going somewhere he'll often tell us that he doesn't need to go to the toilet before we leave because he just went "5 minute ago" and then when you arrive wherever you're going will announce that he's desperate for a poop.

The only thing we haven't even attempted yet is overnight without a nappy. He still has a "nighttime nappy" because every morning when we get him up it's full of pee, so he's just not there yet.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »
    For real, folks. We started potty training around 2 years, 7 months. More and less success was had, until we, no joke, went on VACATION aka a POTTY ADVENTURE at 3years, 2 months, and then the damned child peed in the potty every time while we were gone. And that was that. Pooping happened about the same way, utterly by accident at 3 years 5 months, and now it is consistent as hell.

Don't beat yourself up too much, just keep trying, it'll come.

I'm not beating myself up, I know it'll happen when it happens

I just don't wanna change any more godamn diapers

Yeah or have a freaking stank ass diaper pail. Like it does the job mostly, but towards the end of a shit snake that thing can reek to high heaven.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    And here we sit waiting to see her doctor again. She keeps complaining her ear hurts and was crying last night. It's only a week or maybe two since she finished her antibiotics.

50433.png?1708759015
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Tony's 8 months now, and we're starting to notice that he absolutely idolizes Sam. He wants to eat whatever Sam is eating, he tries desperately to crawl after him (he can crawl, but he's doing something wrong so he actually moves backwards while he's doing it, so he starts screaming "Buh buh buh buh buh!" which seems to be him trying to say brother, not bottle. He'd rather play with a toy he's seen Sam with than his own, and he hates sitting with me in the corner at the mall play area.

It's adorable now but this is going to be trouble later I think.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    And here we sit waiting to see her doctor again. She keeps complaining her ear hurts and was crying last night. It's only a week or maybe two since she finished her antibiotics.

:bro:
    Before Jaina got her tubes, it was nonstop ear infections for months. Hopefully this clears up for you.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

:bro:
    Before Jaina got her tubes, it was nonstop ear infections for months. Hopefully this clears up for you.

She had a fever of 101.7 and he can't see any sign of infection. So it's Tylenol and fluids unless her fever goes over 103. Fun times ahead.

50433.png?1708759015
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I did potty training this morning from 8am-11:30 or so. Got about 5-6 pees out of her and 4 pees in the padded underwear she wears when not on the potty. Like, that's almost 10 potties in total, which seems like a lot for only 3ish hours. Granted, most of them were small pees, but still. Is that normal or a sign I should be sitting her for longer?

Rewarded her by taking her to Wendy's for lunch! Gratuitous cute pictures below:

rjxqyh5jbt58.jpg
    k44z4er8ezzb.jpg
    6lao1fa5xjvn.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I did potty training this morning from 8am-11:30 or so. Got about 5-6 pees out of her and 4 pees in the padded underwear she wears when not on the potty. Like, that's almost 10 potties in total, which seems like a lot for only 3ish hours. Granted, most of them were small pees, but still. Is that normal or a sign I should be sitting her for longer?

Rewarded her by taking her to Wendy's for lunch! Gratuitous cute pictures below:

smart kid with good bladder control. she's optimising her rate of praise/hr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    aj1tqd4t6o7u.jpg

This is $0.63. You might think it’s just a random assortment of coins, but these have a deeper meaning.

As Abigail and I were leaving the grocery store, she made a quick cut through the self-checkout stands to the apples. She then deftly grabbed an apple, took a big bite out of it, and held it aloft like Link opening a dungeon item treasure chest.

Fun fact: an apple with one bite missing cost $0.37 after tax.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My local grocery store has a bin of apples that kids can take on their way in so that you can avoid that very thing. It has saved us some trouble, oh yes.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Of all the things she could have taken near the checkout stand, she chose an apple. I call that a victory.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    My local grocery store has a bin of apples that kids can take on their way in so that you can avoid that very thing. It has saved us some trouble, oh yes.

Yeah one of the chains does that here. Apples, bananas and clementines*. Burpette will usually will start saying banana upon entry to any supmarket. If they have no bananas she will need to inspect the selection to make sure I'm not just wrong. Sometimes she'll accept a clementine but I think they are just fun to peel. The apples are always the last to go so it isn't just her with this fruit ranking.

The bigger issue with the supermarket is that she will no longer sit in her pushchair to go there and instead wants to walk, which only gives me one free hand to carry shopping. And similarly she refuses to sit in the trolley so wants to walk around the aisles herself. Damn independence impacting my shopping efficiency

*Or some other small citrus fruit. There are thousands of varieties and no good generic label as far as I can tell. They tend to get sold as "small citrus" or sometimes the eternal lie of "easy peelers"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The bigger issue with the supermarket is that she will no longer sit in her pushchair to go there and instead wants to walk, which only gives me one free hand to carry shopping. And similarly she refuses to sit in the trolley so wants to walk around the aisles herself. Damn independence impacting my shopping efficiency

I solved this by giving him the responsibility of holding the list. He treats holding that pad of paper and pen like a sacred duty and I get to push him round as he "ticks off" items on the list. By which I mean he randomly crosses things out so I have to guess what we need, but hey. It's easier than chasing after him when he runs off with the trolley

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I solved this by giving him the responsibility of holding the list. He treats holding that pad of paper and pen like a sacred duty and I get to push him round as he "ticks off" items on the list. By which I mean he randomly crosses things out so I have to guess what we need, but hey. It's easier than chasing after him when he runs off with the trolley

I'll give this a whirl, thanks

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

I'll give this a whirl, thanks

My mum used to do this with my sister and I and it worked like a treat. I remember feeling very important for being in charge of the list.

• MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    So, the midget and I are listening to Raffi and 5 Little Ducks came on. The kid is now waddling around the house quacking like a maniac.

He really likes ducks.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    He knows the duck song, right?

https://youtu.be/MtN1YnoL46Q

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Tip: make a second, master list.

• MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    He knows the duck song, right?

https://youtu.be/MtN1YnoL46Q

... no, I don't believe he does. As the duck doesn't quack however, I don't think he'd be too interested. He tries to get the neighborhood ducks to quack at him which is hysterical to watch. He charges down the driveway at them quacking the whole way and gets really confused when they scatter in all directions.

I was downstairs at my computer with Abigail playing in the sun room upstairs. My parent sense went off when I stopped hearing sounds coming from up there.

I go upstairs, and sure enough, find her buck naked and sitting on this green dishes bucket that came with a play kitchen. When I got her off the bucket, she had already peed in it.

I’m guessing that she’s equating peeing with sitting on containers, so that’s sort of a win? At least it wasn’t just on the carpet.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Got my youngest (also named Abigail) up this morning, and felt her thighs were wet, then her back. Yup. Pooped all out her diaper. Just carried her to the tub and stripped her down and started a bath. Was no hope of cleaning that up with wipes.

One attempt at potty today, but nothing came out. I think she already peed her diaper before she realized.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ok friends!

Toddler ( 2 years old) friendly educational googleplay apps. Do not have to be free.

And Go!

They're not educational but we like the Toca Boca games. They range from big sandboxes where you can touch and interact with everything (including putting chickens in bins and dogs on shelves) to little minigames like cleaning windows, making music and tidying up.

Their interactivity means you don't feel quite as bad leaving them with it for ten minutes or so as they're actually working things out and increasing dexterity

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ok friends!

Toddler ( 2 years old) friendly educational googleplay apps. Do not have to be free.

And Go!

Mallory loves the Endless ABC game. You have to put letters on their correct outlines, teaches them dexterity, letters, and spelling.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ok friends!

And Go!

Mallory loves the Endless ABC game. You have to put letters on their correct outlines, teaches them dexterity, letters, and spelling.

@SyphonBlue Endless Alphabet? by Originator Inc? with little happy monsters? cause that sounds exactly like what I"m looking for

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Endless alphabet is really great.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    They also have a number one that's fun.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    ok friends!

And Go!

@SyphonBlue Endless Alphabet? by Originator Inc? with little happy monsters? cause that sounds exactly like what I"m looking for

Yup that's it. She loves it. They have other ones, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    That app is awesome. I just wish my kid liked it more

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Endless Alphabet is great, as is Numbers. There's also Endless Reader that does the same thing, but then you take the word and put it in a sentence.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    mdpjptvzkya9.jpg

My girls are very proud of their new Easter shoes.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My kids have fully cemented Easter as a candy holiday in their heads. However, my daughter.. doesn't like Cadbury cream eggs since they are "too gooey".
    I don't know where I went wrong... Well, more for me.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ahhhh *dies of cuteness*

My kids have fully cemented Easter as a candy holiday in their heads. However, my daughter.. doesn't like Cadbury cream eggs since they are "too gooey".
    I don't know where I went wrong... Well, more for me.

Creme eggs are pretty gross. Nobody needs that much sugar paste

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Creme eggs were amazing, but then they changed the chocolate or something and they aren't as good. Still good, I'll eat a bucket full over the course of the month, but it's not the same.

I think they got smaller too.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Up until 2009, Creme Eggs in NZ (and some in America) were from the NZ Cadbury factory, which were generally considered superior to both the US and UK manufactured versions. Since then they've cheapened the chocolate, changed the recipe, and made them smaller. The UK versions we get here now are a poor shadow of what I grew up with, and I don't eat them at all anymore.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Our Easter hunt this year had about as many steps as previous years, but we're increasing the difficulty, so it took the kids just over two hours start-to-finish:

There was, as usual, a jigsaw, wrapped up into little bundles

5vyOIfS.jpg

and hidden in various spots:

JVMMIhp.jpgMpP8SXM.jpg

which the kids had to find. Once they'd done that, they had to solve the jigsaw:

CTbuXWr.jpg
    4mC5Fy5.jpg

The end result is this:

KmhpfOl.jpg

which is the ends of the spines of the first dozen or so Footrot Flats collections. (NZ folks -- is it still a thing down there?). Once they'd worked that out, they had to go to the right bit of bookshelf:

dM5lJHI.jpg

and search the books, which contained a puzzle:

bVo6h28.jpg?2

Once they solved that one, it took them to a video on Youtube in which we said "the next stage is where X marks the spot". The X in question was outside in the snow:

ZqlPR4D.jpg

so once they'd worked that out, they went out digging:

yl9CRhk.jpg

and found a small box containing a pair of word searches:

oZhmtR7.jpg

7yJDDdr.jpg

The word searches contained some letters shared between clues, which were anagrams of TOILET PAPER, which led them to where that's stored:

NpHFXmy.jpg

which contained another riddle:

3tiEJeg.jpg?1

which directed them to the chairs in the basement where they watch TV, on which were their final prizes:

biSetXa.jpg

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Brilliant!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.