As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2018 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if there are any intros to the various miniature games that might run at PAX?

My son is 13 and we play Magic at home, but our local game shop isn't super newcomer friendly so I was hoping to use PAX as a way to introduce some of the types of games we don't play at home. I already hope to do one of the "try D&D" demos they usually have, but I'd love for him to see a strategic game with minis (other than our brief foray into Heroclix).
    The folks at PAX that demo games are 98% of the time super friendly, as a demo is there to entice new comers. You'll definitely find some people who'll be willing to show you the ropes.

Since you want to get into miniatures, it's a shame Fantasy Flight Games won't have a presence to display X-Wing Miniatures, as that game is amazingly fun. Usually you can still find some people playing it, though. There's also the Pre-PAX Game Night, which is a lot of fun, especially for trying new games out. It's generally kid-friendly, but as the thread states: "Feel free to bring your spawn, but remember that PAXers have filthy, filthy mouths and your wee ones may be subject to some exciting new vocabulary." It's true, so just be aware.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We won't be there Pre-PAX I'm afraid - we're just doing Friday and Saturday. Language doesn't concern me, he lives with me after all. I was just thinking it was a nice chance to see what we might like to try next without investing heavily in something since the initial cost for a lot of these things are hefty.

• BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    didn't see someone answered the post already

BigDumbHippy on
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    We won't be there Pre-PAX I'm afraid - we're just doing Friday and Saturday. Language doesn't concern me, he lives with me after all. I was just thinking it was a nice chance to see what we might like to try next without investing heavily in something since the initial cost for a lot of these things are hefty.

CMON generally runs several tables of their games for the entire con (Arcadia Quest is a particularly good choice for a 13-year-old, as the figures are really fun and there's some light take-that, while Massive Darkness and Zombiecide are fun if he's after a darker monster-hunting co-op dungeon-crawl feel). I also see X wing being demoed by the game stores every year; it remains a big seller.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    ilta wrote: »

CMON generally runs several tables of their games for the entire con (Arcadia Quest is a particularly good choice for a 13-year-old, as the figures are really fun and there's some light take-that, while Massive Darkness and Zombiecide are fun if he's after a darker monster-hunting co-op dungeon-crawl feel). I also see X wing being demoed by the game stores every year; it remains a big seller.

Thanks - I'll look into those. X Wing seems like a good fit too. I'm especially hoping for some that can be played one on one.

ilta wrote: »

Thanks - I'll look into those. X Wing seems like a good fit too. I'm especially hoping for some that can be played one on one.
    Just a warning: X-Wing Miniatures can get... very expensive if you aren't careful. This cartoon explains it pretty well: (spoiled for size)
    00001066.png
    It's an amazingly fun game that I wish I knew more people who played, because we have waves 1-4, but stopped after that because it became too much to deal with.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    I mean, not no. But compared to other mini games it's surprisingly affordable, especially if you look out for sales.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    pax-east-2018-pubg-creator-will-deliver-opening-keynote

Something about Unknown Players and Pubs? I dont know. Get off my lawn.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    jayh0va wrote: »
    pax-east-2018-pubg-creator-will-deliver-opening-keynote

Something about Unknown Players and Pubs? I dont know. Get off my lawn.

Guess IGN gets the scoop as i don't even see it on the schedule in the app

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Anyone having issues with the Android PAX EAST App. I'm on a Galaxy S8+ and the app doesn't load anything other than the exhibitors. The sidebar to select categories is completely blank. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

zmYaVYP.png
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Anyone having issues with the Android PAX EAST App. I'm on a Galaxy S8+ and the app doesn't load anything other than the exhibitors. The sidebar to select categories is completely blank. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

It was wonky for me today as well. I was stuck on maps for a bit, but went back to General Info and it seemed to fix the problem.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    angelcreed wrote: »
    Hi- I have never been to PAX East. I am bringing my 6 year old son. I am actually mainly going for him since he likes a lot of things gamey-- He likes Minecraft, Pokemon, Star Wars, Legos, comics and loves the vintage Nintendo game bundle that just recently got re-released. Can anyone recommend things that would be more kid-friendly in particular? The schedule doesn't have a way to filter for more kid-friendly events. Thanks!

Not sure its on the app, but on the website schedule http://east.paxsite.com/schedule panels where the panelists said they had questionable content are marked 13+. This does not mean everything else is safe, but gives you at least some things to avoid.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    edited March 2018
    jayh0va wrote: »
    It was wonky for me today as well. I was stuck on maps for a bit, but went back to General Info and it seemed to fix the problem.

I can't even do anything which is odd. Everything is blank

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png
    Could you make the image larger?

Le_Goat wrote: »

Sorry, i did it on mobile, didn't know it would look like that. Will edit when i get home.

zmYaVYP.png
  • craftersshaftcraftersshaft Registered User regular
    I feel dumb for asking, but when did registrations start? Trying to remember which hotel I got.

eBcBx26.png
  • tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    I feel dumb for asking, but when did registrations start? Trying to remember which hotel I got.

November 9th!

• FrostyAustyFrostyAusty Registered User new member
    Does anyone know the best way of finding a ride to go to PAX east from Rhode Island?

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    The MBTA commuter rail runs from Providence, and a bit south, into Boston for up to $12.50.

Sorry, i did it on mobile, didn't know it would look like that. Will edit when i get home.
    I was being a sarcastic ass. No need to apologize.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    The MBTA commuter rail runs from Providence, and a bit south, into Boston for up to $12.50.

Yup. Will bring you to south station, you can then jump onto the silver line and end up at WTC, which is just a short walk to the BCEC.

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    The merch banner should be released this week, shouldn't it? I'm interested in what the hoodie will look like this year. I couldn't bring myself to spend $75 on a hoodie my last Pax but I'm interested to see if this year's will be $75-worthy (tho is any hoodie worth $75? lol)

5fhxvn385q28.png
    starNOstar wrote: »
    (tho is any hoodie worth $75? lol)
    Only one that I'm aware of:
    daxa24tejgjh.jpg

• SuethesquidSuethesquid Registered User regular
    Sorry if I missed this, but can you please share the Will Call hours? I am arriving Wednesday evening and would like to pick up then if possible? If not, what time do they begin in the morning Thursday?

ElucidatingElcor (PinnyPals & Slack)
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Sorry if I missed this, but can you please share the Will Call hours? I am arriving Wednesday evening and would like to pick up then if possible? If not, what time do they begin in the morning Thursday?

Here ya go.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    edited March 2018
    starNOstar wrote: »
    The merch banner should be released this week, shouldn't it?
    I'm curious about this myself, so I did some digging compared to last year. What I can find is that there was a post on Reddit on March 7th, and PAX East started on March 10th. If that holds true to this year, we probably won't find anything out until next Monday.

I know it's not a real answer, but it's the best I could find for now.

EDIT: and while this is just speculation, all of the hoodies for 2017 (West, South, East) had the same style with different colors. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if East had the same design but using East colors as the South 2018 hoodie. Again, this is purely speculation, so don't think this is gospel or anything.

Le_Goat on
    [quote="

EDIT: and while this is just speculation, all of the hoodies for 2017 (West, South, East) had the same style with different colors. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if East had the same design but using East colors as the South 2018 hoodie. Again, this is purely speculation, so don't think this is gospel or anything.[/quote]

I've noticed that too, that the merch generally stayed the same between East/West just changing the color scheme. Not sure how I feel about this year's West so we'll see what the red looks like if East follows that same.

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • IAmJasonHowardIAmJasonHoward Registered User new member
    Can I bring my laptop to the convention center without a BYOC Pass?

Thanks

Can I bring my laptop to the convention center without a BYOC Pass?

Thanks

Yes, but you can't set up in the BYOC area. You'd be at the mercy of finding space else where along with dealing with the public wifi

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • basedbuggybasedbuggy Registered User new member
    Where can I contact an organizer or a staff member who works under one. Who has time for a small interview over the web? I'm a reporter for a small paper and wanted to get more people who have never heard of the event to check it out. Speaking of people who don't game but want to experience something new. Thank you

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Your best bet would probably be to e-mail pax_media@paxsite.com

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • MdmZombieMdmZombie MIRegistered User regular
    I know in the past bringing in water bottles has been ok. Is there a policy on the type? Plastic only or are metal ones ok also?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There is no restriction on what type

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    I didn't see the Twitch lounge on the map, is there going to be something simliar replacing it? That lounge was the best last year. I got so many free drinks and free food while relaxing in there a bit. I know alot of people complained about Twitch last year but I really just dont understand. The lounge was absolutely amazing and Im sad not to see it :(

• SpiraSpira Registered User new member
    What is the PUBG Drop Zone area?

Spira wrote: »
    Where do you see that? I tried to find it to possibly help, but I don't see it on any of Guidebook.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Where do you see that? I tried to find it to possibly help, but I don't see it on any of Guidebook.

I also got an email about this.

5t7mhmlnq0au.jpg

I also got an email about this.

5t7mhmlnq0au.jpg
    Ahhhh, okay. So it looks like the map has been updated via that email to include greater detail which the Guidebook map does not show. The PUBG Drop Zone is located in the PC Freeplay area, so my assumption is that is PC Freeplay dedicated to PUBG:
    Guidebook without PUBG Drop Zone showing:
    z91znm8c1xyl.png

Email map with PUBG Drop Zone showing:
    t84behq7cl1v.png

• gljeffordsgljeffords Registered User new member
    Greetings! I was wondering how many exhibitors will be there there this year? Can someone give me a rough estimate?