As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    {I forgot his name the one with the Cthulhu mask} // I don't remember the one that looks like it's pouting or sticking it's tongue out

Lokhir Fellheart // Mengil Manhide (sans his Manflayers - a Dogs of War unit)

Fellheart's a pretty great model. I'm glad he's getting a run.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Does this thread also talk about Shadespire or is it pretty much just AoS?

I just got into Shadespire today, it's very neat, and very atypical for GW.

I'd really like the next season to have a Kharadron box.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel this was a good place to answer dumb questions about it

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I think we've probably talked Shadespire before, it is indeed pretty fun!

Rumour is that the next 'phase' of Shadespire (after the Khorne Blood Warriors and Stormcast Rangers that round out the initial wave) will feature spooky ghost sorts versus some sort of new stormcast, presumably to coincide with a new AoS release, with another slew of squads to follow. Kharadron could well be a fairly likely bet, though I don't know how well their ranged focused tactics will translate to Shadespire!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    They can do boxes for pretty much every AoS property.

I want a Daughters of Khaine box

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I imagine most of the armies with books will probably get something eventually. (Er, probably not Beastclaw Raiders, mind, unless it's, like, one model).
    DoK you can at least proxy in for the blood reavers, I'd imagine they'd have a pretty similar style of play.

Speaking of DoK I just glued together 10 Heartrender harpies, which look incredible, but are also the flimsiest damn models I've ever seen, I'm going to see what sort of box I can find to actually safely carry them in...

• Options

Rumour is that the next 'phase' of Shadespire (after the Khorne Blood Warriors and Stormcast Rangers that round out the initial wave) will feature spooky ghost sorts versus some sort of new stormcast, presumably to coincide with a new AoS release, with another slew of squads to follow. Kharadron could well be a fairly likely bet, though I don't know how well their ranged focused tactics will translate to Shadespire!

When I first got the game and accidently the Ork warband my brother had the comment of are there no Elves? To which caused me to really look once more about what happened to them in Warhammer
    I kind of want to see if they do a Elf warband but of what?

• Options
    Seems like GW is only just really getting round to what they want elves to be in AoS, with DoK as a marrying of the older stuff with the new, and Deepkin as their own whole new thing, a warband of either or both of those factions would work well enough (perhaps not Deepkin depending on whether they actually need to live underwater to survive, I guess).

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I think the preview for the Stormcast Rangers had them all with hand crossbows. I’m super curious as to how a more ranged focus team will work.

I’m guessing lots of low damage but board control via pushing.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I saw someone claim the new set icon was linked to the Malign Portents thing going on currently. If that means there’ll be a Night Goblin band (or Moonclan Grots, whatever) then hell to the yes.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I’ve loved what GW have done with all the new factions; I’d love it if a Clan Skyre (or Eshin) faction saw a release.

We all know Skaven are the best; we saw that from the marketing of Total Warhammer 2 and the recent Vermintide game. Stop mucking about GW and release some new rats (with fur on them).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    I saw someone claim the new set icon was linked to the Malign Portents thing going on currently. If that means there’ll be a Night Goblin band (or Moonclan Grots, whatever) then hell to the yes.
    zs5pybeyq8ch.png

I feel it's more undead and dwarves?
    Still goblins would be interesting yet I know little of this world

• Options
    edited March 2018
    The set symbol on the right by the card numbering.

Malign portents is a current AoS event/story thing going on, being headlined by four new hero models, a ghosty undead, a Stormcast guy with an anvil on his knee that strongly resembles the one on that card, a barbarian lady and a goblin mushroom shaman.

I mean I can't tell from a tiny symbol of a screaming skull, I just like the theory because I love me the idea of a squad of goblins!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I think there's pretty good odds of Moonclan showing up as a discrete faction at some point, if I recall the Destruction forces haven't had anything new in at least a year?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    After the Deepkin are out Death should be next, probably with a new Black Coach. Although in the short stories coming out with Malign Portents there are also hints that one result of the story might be Slannesh breaking free which could be the background justification going along with a big Chaos release.

• Options
    Since I got the end times Khaine book in the book Slannesh grabs some of them and disappears but Tyrion is dead?
    How did Morthai get Khanie's heart since Tyrion was him?
    I feel they will do the Aleves then Slaanesh?

• Options
    According to the DoK book Khaine was slain in the end times, and his shattered form was forged into weaponry by Khorne for his favoured Bloodthirsters. However, the heart of Khaine could not be melted down or broken, so Khorne got angry, or more angry I guess, and hurled it out into the void, where it ended up in the Realm of Shadows in the hoard of some nasty monster, where Morathi then found it an indeterminate length of time later. The book implies that, given time, Khaine would be able to reform from the heart, but Morathi siphons of his power for herself and prevents that from happening.

I just had a pretty entertaining game using DoK, Witch Aelves are spectacularly bonkers now, I scored 55 wounds on a skeleton blob with a single activation, 30 casualties, and that was without Catechism of Murder, which would've bumped that up even further!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    How do you feel about twin knives vs bucklers?
    I’m using some Witch Aelves as battleline in a mixed order army, so i wont have any of the faction bonuses

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    All my witches have twin knives, but partly that is just because that was their only option up till now. I think there's some merit to bucklers on smaller sized squads (seen as they'll be taking the same number of saves as a larger squad if they get hit in combat anyway), and you can theoretically stack them up to a fairly decent armour save via Blood Cauldrons, Mystic Shield and cover.

But my money's on the knives really, 40 attacks for 100 points ain't bad.

• Options
    So GW is bringing back characters from before the end times, maybe.

This is the result of the malign portents / dread solstice campaign:
    CHAPTER THREE – HOUR OF THE DAMNED
    WEEK 6: YOU ARE TRAPPED IN SHYISH! HOW WILL YOU ESCAPE NAGASH’S CLUTCHES?
    THE GREAT JAILBREAK

As battle rages through the Prime Innerlands, Nagash casts ever more enemies into the Great Oubliette. Warlords and warriors alike tumble helplessly down hissing wells of grey sand, before plunging into the deeper darkness below. They stagger to their feet amidst endless stone corridors and whispering walls of shadow.

In his arrogance, distracted and set off balance by the sheer amount of foes hurling themselves at him from every side, Nagash has erred. More and more armed warriors mass in the corridors and halls of the oubliette until at last its guardians cannot hold them back. War rages through halls that have known naught but silence for thousands of years. Weapons are unleashed whose power even the arcane wardings of the oubliette cannot withstand.

Hundreds of cells are smashed asunder and the souls within released to recorporeate. Occupants trapped since before the Age of Myth emerge, blinking in the light. Ancient magisters and mages, disgraced vampiric aristocrats, snarling greenskin warlords, ice-hearted queens and Sigmar-touched heroes, blind loremasters, duardin kings and arrogant Skaven clan-lords; all of these and countless others burst from captivity and seek to make good their escape.

Anarchy reigns as battles are interrupted by the resurrection of beloved heroes, the return of long-lost loved ones and the sudden recorporeation of nemeses long thought slain. Some souls are trammelled once again, of course, but many more escape.

So are the ranks of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer hugely reinforced, Sigmar’s lightning spearing down again and again to snatch up heroic women and men loosed from millennia of hardship. So too do many races see the return of heroes enshrined since time immemorial in folklore and legend. None can say what fate the Mortal Realms will face in the dark days to come, and all attempts to unseat Nagash have failed, but at least the forces of Order, Destruction and Chaos alike will face the looming darkness with their greatest heroes restored to them.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So GW is bringing back characters from before the end times, maybe.

This is the result of the malign portents / dread solstice campaign:
    CHAPTER THREE – HOUR OF THE DAMNED
    WEEK 6: YOU ARE TRAPPED IN SHYISH! HOW WILL YOU ESCAPE NAGASH’S CLUTCHES?
    THE GREAT JAILBREAK

As battle rages through the Prime Innerlands, Nagash casts ever more enemies into the Great Oubliette. Warlords and warriors alike tumble helplessly down hissing wells of grey sand, before plunging into the deeper darkness below. They stagger to their feet amidst endless stone corridors and whispering walls of shadow.

In his arrogance, distracted and set off balance by the sheer amount of foes hurling themselves at him from every side, Nagash has erred. More and more armed warriors mass in the corridors and halls of the oubliette until at last its guardians cannot hold them back. War rages through halls that have known naught but silence for thousands of years. Weapons are unleashed whose power even the arcane wardings of the oubliette cannot withstand.

Hundreds of cells are smashed asunder and the souls within released to recorporeate. Occupants trapped since before the Age of Myth emerge, blinking in the light. Ancient magisters and mages, disgraced vampiric aristocrats, snarling greenskin warlords, ice-hearted queens and Sigmar-touched heroes, blind loremasters, duardin kings and arrogant Skaven clan-lords; all of these and countless others burst from captivity and seek to make good their escape.

Anarchy reigns as battles are interrupted by the resurrection of beloved heroes, the return of long-lost loved ones and the sudden recorporeation of nemeses long thought slain. Some souls are trammelled once again, of course, but many more escape.

So are the ranks of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer hugely reinforced, Sigmar’s lightning spearing down again and again to snatch up heroic women and men loosed from millennia of hardship. So too do many races see the return of heroes enshrined since time immemorial in folklore and legend. None can say what fate the Mortal Realms will face in the dark days to come, and all attempts to unseat Nagash have failed, but at least the forces of Order, Destruction and Chaos alike will face the looming darkness with their greatest heroes restored to them.

A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.
    I'll never understand why, given that central premise, the team behind the Soul Edge/Calibur series feel like they need to keep a consistent chronology and age-out characters over time.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to learning more about the Idoneth Deepkin.

My copy of White Dwarf should be delivered by the time I get home tonight which has a preview of the army in it so I'll give my Impression tomorrow.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    The first few snippets I've seem so far make their motivations seem very Dark Eldar like. Raiding for souls to replenish themselves.

They're all the souls that were eaten by Slannesh the last, the followers of one the elven god of destrustruction, Mathlaan, God of Sea and Storms. So they're probably mostly the souls of elves from Cothyque, Lothern and Dark Elf corsairs.

Also those eyeless guys? Looks like they're basically the slave caste frontline troops/cannon fodder of the Deepkin. They are literally branded and given a metal slave collar. But it's okay, they are blue skinned, I guess?

honovere on
  • Options
    So there's not too much info on the unit themselves, it's mainly pictures and some lore.

Lore wise, Tyrion created the Idoneth but to cut a story short their souls weren't formed properly and the majority of their children die in infancy due to withered souls. The Idoneth can sense other races souls so they sustain the life of those born with withered souls by stealing the souls of other races. Not all Idoneth have withered souls.

The White Dwarf only has one war scroll which is for the Eidolon of Mathlann which is a champion of the gods.

It's main weapon is a spear with 4 attacks, +3 to hit and wound. -2 rend and 2 damage.

It can fly. On the turn it charges it can re-roll 1s to hit and adds 1 to the damage of the spear. It can also retreat and charge in the same turn. It also heals D3 wounds every time it charges.

Friendly Idoneth can re-roll wound rolls of 1 within 9 inches.

It can also nominate an enemy hero within 3 inches that has less than 8 wounds, this model then subtracts 1 from all to hit rolls.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The Eidolons of Mathlann are magical constructs created out of shared racial memories rather than an actual avatar of Mathlann, because he’s dead. Pretty much Captain Planet but with only Water and Heart(of a dead god) but you can also have several if you want. Which is both neat and a blatant “buy multiples of this super expensive large kit” kinda hint.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    The White Dwarf also basically confirms that they'll be a Malerion aelf army sometime in the future.

• Options
    Also those eyeless guys? Looks like they're basically the slave caste frontline troops/cannon fodder of the Deepkin. They are literally branded and given a metal slave collar. But it's okay, they are blue skinned, I guess?

I'm not sure this is quite true, my understanding of the lore snippets is that the eyeless ones are those which have are afflicted with a withering soul, and the collars/brands are designed to halt the process, with the more normal looking aelves having complete souls, and the whole faction generally raiding in order to claim souls to support the soulless caste. I guess we'll see when the book shows up!

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Tried my hand at another Shadespire tournament. Came 3rd of 8 but I robbed myself in the final on the top table. I had the card in hand to push into his territory, deny the Contained objective and take the win to make it a best of three decider... and I forgot to play it.

Ah well, who needs two glass trophies?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    First little preview of the Idoneth is up in the community site, detailing their allegiance battle traits, which seem pretty strong!
    Especially damning against shooting heavy armies, but careful use of that tide table is going to lead to some nasty stuff if the warscrolls are any good.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The real strength of the tide table hinges on whether they will have the ability to manipulate it or not, like the DoK do.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options

I'm not sure this is quite true, my understanding of the lore snippets is that the eyeless ones are those which have are afflicted with a withering soul, and the collars/brands are designed to halt the process, with the more normal looking aelves having complete souls, and the whole faction generally raiding in order to claim souls to support the soulless caste. I guess we'll see when the book shows up!

Well, the unit is literally called Namarti Thralls. So the raids are for (hyperbole maybe) fuel to keep their property running ?

• Options
    Mm, today's community post definitely makes it sound more like your interpretation is correct. I guess we might see different groups of Deepkin treating their thralls differently, represented in game by something akin to the DoK temples.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    New Community post today about the Namarti:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/10/who-are-the-namarti-apr-10gw-homepage-post-1/
    The Namarti are the largest and lowliest caste in the society of the Idoneth Deepkin, born with withering souls. Namarti must sustain themselves on the stolen souls of others – where the Daughters of Khaine might raid for sport or to give praise to their god, for the Namarti, it’s a matter of life and death.

Their main weapon is pretty nasty 2 attacks, +3 to hit, +3 to wound, -1 rend and 1 damage.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Interesting that they have the offensive statline of an elite unit (almost the same as Swordmasters, depending what abilities they might have on their scroll), whilst being the core battleline of the faction. Implies perhaps this is going to be quite a points hungry, limited model count army, perhaps.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Played my 4th game of AoS tonight, the third with my Tzeentch Army. Same list as my last game. I need to finish building out skyfires, enlightened and probably some more daemons.

My list:
    HQ-
    Daemon Prince-Doombolt, Sword, Wings, Talon, Tzeentch
    Tzaangor Shaman-Reroll fate die leader ability, draught, shield of fate
    Chaos Sorc Lord-Gaze(whatever the fate dice spell is called in AoS)

Battleline-
    20x Tzaangors w/ banner and horn (4 big weapons, 4 or 5 mutants I have to count, shields)
    5x Chaos Warriors w/ banner and horn all have shield/sword
    5x Chaos Warriors w/ banner and horn with shield and sword.

Other Units:
    5x Chaos Knights-Shields/swords, banner and horn
    3x Screamers of Tzeentch
    3x Skyfires

I was playing Undead with a ton of skeles, 10 hex wraiths, a dragon with a vamp lord, 2 banshees, and a wight king.

Overall I am still getting use to AoS after decades of 40k and the fact I play 8th about once a week. And I play Emperor's Children which are a shooty army with the ability to punch first in combat. Its a lot less mobile and hard to charge. My Tzeentch has almost 0 shots but the skyfires, has a mass of punchy, and is super fast once I am done building it. Its different.

We played the one with 4 objectives, 1 pt in your side, 2 pts for the middle, 4 points for your opponents. Overall I got crushed in points as I couldn't really push the skeles off and was a bit slow in some ways. I did by the end probably kill 45 skeles but he kept bringing them back. I did kill the wight king, both banshees, and all 10 hex wraiths. I could get the dragon down at all sadly.

Things I am thinking about:

Tzaangors-Still blenders but the bravery hurt. Thanks to popping my potions I got a few back off the dead of the hex wraiths to mortal wounds.

Daemon Prince-I keep thinking he is my 40k version who is a hero killer, monster tamer, and basically a blender. The roll differences in 40k verse AoS kill me. Instead of hitting on 2+ rerolling 1s he hits on 3+ with no rerolls. I have been using him mostly as a stand in and I just need to replace him with skyfires already.

Skyfires-Rocked the world with sniping and I only had 3.

Fate Die-I have rolled terribly two games in a row. This game had 0 sixes, 1 one, 3 twos, 3, threes, 2 fours, and a five. Murdered by your own dice. I got 0 replacements too from my hero ability and 0 new dice from the spell. Fate die hate me.

I am enjoying AoS when I play. My opponent knows his list. I play his guard army a lot actually. He had fantastic placement making me unable to hit what I wanted when I wanted without having something to counter strike me. Still its fun. A nice change from my EC.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Dude, you need to get a Thaumaturge.
    His muscles sing to you.
    (He’s a great beatstick and should support the tzaangors well, so your shaman and skyfires can keep out of the way)

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Dude, you need to get a Thaumaturge.
    His muscles sing to you.
    (He’s a great beatstick and should support the tzaangors well, so your shaman and skyfires can keep out of the way)

I want one. Just so I can turn it into a Daemon Prince for 40k and a use it as a Thaumaturge for AoS. The model is cool.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Thaumaturge is a decent little hero, yeah, an extra D6 mortal wound spell never hurts, and his melee isn't bad for tzeentch.

Lots of info sneaking out about the Idoneth from the Warhammer TV stream, looks like a pretty elite bunch, Thralls get even nastier combat punch than the rules preview yesterday suggests, with +1 attack versus targets with 1 wound, and +1 damage against targets with >4 wounds. I'm guessing ~140 points for 10?
    Lots of ways to stack up armour/cover saves, but not a whole host of mortal wound protection so far, it seems.

• Options
    The Deepkin characters from todays article are pretty nice, but those littles fishes connected by the tiniest pieces of plastic are going to make them hard to transport.

• Options
    T R O P H Y B O Y Z

UkojLwg.jpg?1

Probably time to move to playing with a new warband. Thinking of trying a gimmicky Katophrane's Relics skellie deck.

MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.