As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arkham Horror] LCG! Board Game! A bunch of other spinoffs!

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I've put together a deck for a second try at soloing Dunwich (my first attempt stalled). I really, really want to play Carcosa but can't justify buying the entire path without playing what I have first.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    EH is one of my favorite board games, but out of my normal group of players only me and one friend enjoy being the underdogs. Why don't people enjoy slowly going insane and fighting horrors from beyond reality?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, new article talking about the guardian and rogue investigators from The Forgotten Age.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    That guardian might be fantastic for Solo play.

Also a new article up talking about the creation of the new Survivor, Calvin Wright.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Dunwich update:

Just got Essex County'd, and suffered two mental trauma as Roland. (Got eliminated by horror damage, and then had Cover Up in play fire. Although... honestly, by how that adventure ends with a failure, I think that got cover up'd fairly well?)

persona4celestia.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I like that the pain train that is the Essex County Express is almost becoming its own meme. That scenario does not fuck around.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited March 2018
    I mean, FFS.
    We were actually doing really well... up until the Engine. I was the one that entered the Engine. The other two players had already gone, and were in the passenger car before it.

I barely dodge the event on entering it with the steam demon, burning a bunch of cards to do so.

I get the Engine that has the "draw three cards." I get the Grappling demon, a cultist (who gets a doom counter), and a arcane barrier, slamming the door to the Engine shut.

Two of the players end up drawing Mythos cards that put doom on the track, causing the two passenger cars they're in to fall into the rift, leaving me alone to fight the monsters.

And then I take two horror the next round from a Mythos card to knock me out.

Worst. Train. Ever.

What was worse was the person who was playing Jim ended up losing the Necronomicon due to this. So we ended up basically getting a Elder Thing token in the chaos bag for... nothing, since he never got it into play.

At least Blood on the Altar went... a little better?
    Only had two sacrificial deaths, and we ended up killing the Beast somehow.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Whew, made it through the Dunwich finale.
    Everyone made it out, and so the campaign was a success, but Roland ended up going mad from the parting 2 extra mental trauma.

That one actually felt pretty good? The extra-dimensional areas flickering in and out of reality was super cool.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Huh, Carolyn's deck-building options are fascinating.
    Guardian 0-3, Neutral's 0-5, cards that "heal horror" level 0-5, up to 15 Seeker/Mystic cards level 0-1.

Additional restrictions: No Weapon cards level 1-5.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Woof, player through the first four of Carcosa today. Those are vastly cooler scenarios...

Although...
    ...let’s just say the King claimed his victims... D:

Ffff, literally ONE space from getting out of the Asylum.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Oh hey, there’s the new Mystic from Forgotten Age: Father Mateo.

Seal is a interesting mechanic, since it removes tokens from the chaos bag.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Mateo looks like a really fun and unique investigator.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I suppose the OP not being in chronological order is thematic. Having not played Arkham Horror for years, I'm wondering what to do with it. Its taking up a lot of shelf space.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I suppose the OP not being in chronological order is thematic. Having not played Arkham Horror for years, I'm wondering what to do with it. Its taking up a lot of shelf space.

No, it's because I was grouping the "Flagship" games first and foremost.

I guess I should update the OP to include the new video game coming.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I havn’t gone back and watched the VOD’s yet to see how watchable they are, but I’ve been teaching someone who’s never played Arkham before how to, and running them through Night of the Zealot on stream. In case someone’s bored:

Episode 1

Episode 2, the Midnight Masks.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited September 2018
    In case anyone wants to hang out and watch us die horribly, we're doing The Devourer Below live right now.
    EDIT: It's over, but the archived video is still up.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Okay I'm bringing this back. Here are some discussion topics!

Who is your favorite (LCG) investigator? I think it might be Agnes for me. I like wizards, and I like her ability. Akachi is kind of boring and feels just like a "good stuff" mystic, and Diana Stanley is very fun but doesn't feel super wizardy. I haven't played the other mystics because they seem BORING. Honorable mentions to Finn Edwards, who I expected not to like but is actually super cool, and Minh who has a really unique playstyle.

Also, this is my current Ursula Carcosa solo deck after three scenarios. Questions, comments?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I've been pretty hyped about this game for

*checks hand*

like a month?

so uh, i don't think i've played any of the investigators more than once, but i was in a somewhat unique position that after I realized I really liked the game, that I could just get ALL OF IT off store credit at my lgs so now I have... all of it (except some book promos)

You know since a lot of people aren't as deep I wonder if we could arrange maybe a competition for the base campaign. Do a solo investigator and do a scoring rubric based on VP and outcomes. Or I think almost everyone has dunwich so we could just do one off scenarios.

I think I saw something like that recently being run through Facebook, but since I just disabled my Facebook that's not super helpful. I think it was called league of extraordinary investigators. That could be cool.

I've also been playing around with the TTS mod for the game a bit to test out different decks for an event at my LGS doing the second guardians of the abyss scenario at the end of the month.

Yeah they posted about it on Facebook but you had to record the whole run. I think we'd just honor system it. Also making it a 1 of challenge would make it a little more casual compared to having to run the entire campaign.

I've heard the tts mod is good. I need to try it out sometime.

It's about as janky as most of TTS and I probably couldn't deal with it to play a whole session or campaign but I've been ok with it for playing solo/two handed so I can quickly test deck ideas before committing.

But also I need to gush. Last night I got a win in dunwich for the first time. Technically the second attempt but I'm justifying the Mulligan because of the scenario setup.
    first time around on the last possible turn to seal the rift I try to move from an extradimensional location that disappears if you fail the test on your move and it dropped me back into another dimension where a group of yithians quickly enveloped me and the eternal yog-sothoth entered our mortal realm but since I was lost in both space AND time I appeared once again at the start armed now with the knowledge of infinity and made my way to the edge of the universe, repaired the tear in spacetime, and racing against a beyond the veil treachery, found my way home with two cards left in the deck and one turn before coming face to face with the old one.

I won my first campaign! My table could barely contain the locations for that scenario and thankfully I had little markers to show connections or else that was nonsense

It's about as janky as most of TTS and I probably couldn't deal with it to play a whole session or campaign but I've been ok with it for playing solo/two handed so I can quickly test deck ideas before committing.

But also I need to gush. Last night I got a win in dunwich for the first time. Technically the second attempt but I'm justifying the Mulligan because of the scenario setup.
    first time around on the last possible turn to seal the rift I try to move from an extradimensional location that disappears if you fail the test on your move and it dropped me back into another dimension where a group of yithians quickly enveloped me and the eternal yog-sothoth entered our mortal realm but since I was lost in both space AND time I appeared once again at the start armed now with the knowledge of infinity and made my way to the edge of the universe, repaired the tear in spacetime, and racing against a beyond the veil treachery, found my way home with two cards left in the deck and one turn before coming face to face with the old one.

I won my first campaign! My table could barely contain the locations for that scenario and thankfully I had little markers to show connections or else that was nonsense

The first campaign is good. I'm pretty lax with mulligans, as a cooperative game I'm really looking for "is this fun?" and less an exacting, by the book rules tight playthrough. Especially if you're doing a first time runthrough, Dunwich is pretty straightforward but some of the later campaigns have scenarios where you just die if you fail, or are nigh impossible unless you understand the gimmick. But if I get a bullshit draw off the encounter deck I'm more than willing to redo the whole scenario or just scrap it and draw something else. I would say one of my problems with the physical game is that I never feel like the encounter deck is shuffled enough.

Congrats on the win though, Lost in Time and Space can go south really quickly. I've only ever had one investigator make it through with the best ending, although I have won every time.

Which investigator(s)?

Yeah I'm probably going to be fine with Mulligan's in general, especially if I hit a scenario with some "you all died" resolution. It was just neat that the first time it came up was while I was trapped in extradimensional space and I kind of visualized it like the Dr strange/dormamu time loop and it didn't even break thematic immersion.

I played through it solo with Jenny. Kind of just familiarizing myself with the game while my partner has been wrapping up her first year of grad school, but solo has been surprisingly fun. The narrative elements are just so tight.

I think I got very lucky this time and I milled a lot of the yithians while looking for locations so I really only had to fight a couple of times

The thing I most dislike in solo is encounter deck variance. This can be bad if you're solo Roland and you kind of want some monsters to kill for clues but none pop up, or if you're Finn and just getting crushed with will tests.

My first dunwich was also solo Jenny and she just crushed things with streetwise to the point where I was wondering if I was even playing the game right.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Guys I've gone a boardgame direction recently that I did not anticipate...

pic4807084.jpg
    pic4697854.jpg

About to do some deck building in this here LCG! boy that's a sentence that, if you had asked me a month ago, I would have bet literally anything that I would never ever say in my life.

Some of that stuff is definitely not for the card game but it's all melded together like some kind of twisted abomination what must be sent back whence it came!

The second picture is complete Arkham second edition.

Arkhamdb is the website to use for deckbuilding. Share your list when you're done!

edited June 2019
    I think the next thing I'm starting is TFA and we're gonna do the classic expedition pairing of Leo/Ursula, whom I've never played. I'm expecting the kick in the teeth that I've been told the first two scenarios bring.

My work group started carcosa and though I suspect it has died off since two of the players are in heavy "working on our kickstarter" mode, I need to give it time to see if it's really dead.

And I still have to figure out a couple decks for the LGS event in a week. I liked this Diana deck despite her being immediately one shot when I spawned a guardian of the abyss from the Cairo expedition deck as my last player action

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/394398

I was also testing a 39xp Joe diamond deck with her but that's just way too many extra weaknesses to deal with. But damn Joe is sweet with all the 5xp seeker stuff

initiatefailure on
    I think the next thing I'm starting is TFA and we're gonna do the classic expedition pairing of Leo/Ursula, whom I've never played. I'm expecting the kick in the teeth that I've been told the first two scenarios bring.

My work group started carcosa and though I suspect it has died off since two of the players are in heavy "working on our kickstarter" mode, I need to give it time to see if it's really dead.

And I still have to figure out a couple decks for the LGS event in a week. I liked this Diana deck despite her being immediately one shot when I spawned a guardian of the abyss from the Cairo expedition deck as my last player action

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/394398

I was also testing a 39xp Joe diamond deck with her but that's just way too many extra weaknesses to deal with. But damn Joe is sweet with all the 5xp seeker stuff

I think you have too many spell assets. They're going to be dead cards until you power up and that's going to make you want to burn the cards to pump, which is sub optimal play for her I think. You want to be cancelling crucial shit, not just random crap so you can actually use your rite of seeking. I don't think Eldritch Inspiration/Dark Prophecy are super good for Diana (or really in general unless you're Jim). Are you also planning on being a primary clue getter? There's a lot of clue acquisition in there.

My friend and I are going to start Carcosa soon. He's playing Rita so I'm going to be looking at predominately clue getting. Here are my options.

Rex: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/364555
    Marie: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/359496
    Daisy: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/409338

I've never played Marie or Daisy so I'm kind of leaning towards them but then paired with Rita I might just want the best possible clue monster (Rex).

I made some decks but Arkhamdb won't let me publish then until I've been a member for 24 hours. They're pretty straight up Zoey and Rex decks for mashing monsters and finding clues, respectively. Going to run them through Night of the Zealot and see if I can do better than my first single investigator run. It went...
    Poorly.

Ah_Pook wrote: »

Complete as in also includes the Arkham Nights exclusive great old ones? I think I have printoffs of those, but I'd love originals. :)

I made some decks but Arkhamdb won't let me publish then until I've been a member for 24 hours. They're pretty straight up Zoey and Rex decks for mashing monsters and finding clues, respectively. Going to run them through Night of the Zealot and see if I can do better than my first single investigator run. It went...
    Poorly.

If you turn it on in your settings you should be able to share the link without publishing for the whole world (only people with the link will see).

Athenor wrote: »

Complete as in also includes the Arkham Nights exclusive great old ones? I think I have printoffs of those, but I'd love originals. :)

Na no promo stuff, just the 4 big and 4 small box expansions

edited June 2019
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Poorly.

If you turn it on in your settings you should be able to share the link without publishing for the whole world (only people with the link will see).

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/409401
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/409369

Things went down smooth in the first scenario, but we'll see how #2 does.

This is the first time I've ever built decks in any game!

Ah_Pook on
    edited June 2019
    You still have to go into your account settings to enable sharing! I just see "the owner has not enabled sharing"

But how did you enjoy your first game? Any rules questions?

ChaosHat on
    edited June 2019
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    You still have to go into your account settings to enable sharing! I just see "the owner has not enabled sharing"

But how did you enjoy your first game? Any rules questions?

It's done.

I ran through night of the Zealot with the Roland starter deck once before maybe a week ago and got absolutely crushed in the third scenario (second also went quite poorly now that I think about it), but I'm pretty sure I have the rules down now. Now that I got some cards to play around with I'm pretty excited to play this game more.

Rex had a pretty good 4dmg "I've Got A Plan!" for the ghoul priest at the end. Good plan, dude.

Ah_Pook on
    Tbf that's about how the 3rd core scenario goes the first time no matter what deck you nuilt