As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2018 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    gljeffords wrote: »
    Greetings! I was wondering how many exhibitors will be there there this year? Can someone give me a rough estimate?
    It looks like around 400. The list of exhibitors can be found in the Guidebook App, on the Expo Hall Map (1/2).

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    gljeffords wrote: »
    Greetings! I was wondering how many exhibitors will be there there this year? Can someone give me a rough estimate?

According to the guidebook listing, there will be around 385 exhibitors this year. Some of those may be rotating, like some of the indies sharing space, but there are 385 unique entries in the guidebook exhibitor list.

e2TtnRd.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    starNOstar wrote: »
    I've noticed that too, that the merch generally stayed the same between East/West just changing the color scheme. Not sure how I feel about this year's West so we'll see what the red looks like if East follows that same.

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    Thanks whypick1 !!

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    We aren’t going to be able to make the trip to PAX East this year. Is there a way to find someone interested in buying tickets?

zerzhul wrote: »
    If you purchase your pass from a second hand source, you are putting yourself at risk of purchasing a counterfeit pass. Second hand sources also include this forum, which is why there is no buy/sell/trade of pax passes on this forum.

Others can chime in as to where to go to sell your badge, just know it's not here.

• Cobalt BlueCobalt Blue Registered User regular
    yutani san wrote: »
    I didn't see the Twitch lounge on the map, is there going to be something simliar replacing it? That lounge was the best last year. I got so many free drinks and free food while relaxing in there a bit. I know alot of people complained about Twitch last year but I really just dont understand. The lounge was absolutely amazing and Im sad not to see it :(

People were complaining? Really?? Yeah the lounge was great. But, looks like no repeat, I guess that was just part of a one-time big push when they rolled out Twitch Prime.

PPrdvOH.png
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Could also have been issues with the BCEC, they aren't super happy about people taking a cut out of their food and drink sales :)

• EdgarioEdgario Registered User new member
    Hello all, I'm in a sticky situation I lost my PAX badges. If I bring a proof of purchase to the convention center can I get new badges at the help desk?

E-mail pax_questions@paxsite.com as generally badges will not be replaced if you don't let them know ahead of time.

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    I didn't see the Twitch lounge on the map, is there going to be something simliar replacing it? That lounge was the best last year. I got so many free drinks and free food while relaxing in there a bit. I know alot of people complained about Twitch last year but I really just dont understand. The lounge was absolutely amazing and Im sad not to see it :(

People were complaining? Really?? Yeah the lounge was great. But, looks like no repeat, I guess that was just part of a one-time big push when they rolled out Twitch Prime.

Thats sad. Yeah, last year in the feedback threads people kept saying that the convention was taken over by steamers and Twitch was too all over the place... and im like dudes... they were are GREAT company to have there and gave back so much. Oh well. It was such a cool hangout, I guess it will just be a memory now :)

I really like the Explorers League hoodie. Was wondering, is that from something? Whats explorers League? Or is just a silly "Pax is going to expand to the planets in 3018" thing? I really like space stuff and want to get this hoodie but if its in reference to something I'll probably pass. That would be like wearing a Mercy tshirt if you dont even play Overwatch XD

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really like the Explorers League hoodie. Was wondering, is that from something? Whats explorers League? Or is just a silly "Pax is going to expand to the planets in 3018" thing? I really like space stuff and want to get this hoodie but if its in reference to something I'll probably pass. That would be like wearing a Mercy tshirt if you dont even play Overwatch XD
    It's not any special reference as far as I know. It's just "hey pax will be on planets in 3018!!!".

• nycguynycguy Registered User regular
    I feel like I've combed this forum fairly thoroughly but haven't come up with any solid answers regarding the parking situation. The main pax site directs you to the travel/parking page for pax, but that is really just another link back to the BCEC parking/directions page. Anyone have any opinions on the surface lots/surrounding garages? it sounds like it will be 25 for a surface lot and probably upwards to 40 for a garage per day.

1) Any opinions on what's good and whats not? I'd prefer somewhat close of a spot with decent security (if not manned, at least not in some dark alleyway).
    2) Best arrival times for a good spot each day
    3) in/out privileges? not a must but just curious.

thanks in advance. I was half tempted to start a new thread but figured I'd start here first.

• HiroProtagonistHiroProtagonist Registered User regular
    nycguy wrote: »
    I feel like I've combed this forum fairly thoroughly but haven't come up with any solid answers regarding the parking situation. The main pax site directs you to the travel/parking page for pax, but that is really just another link back to the BCEC parking/directions page. Anyone have any opinions on the surface lots/surrounding garages? it sounds like it will be 25 for a surface lot and probably upwards to 40 for a garage per day.

1) Any opinions on what's good and whats not? I'd prefer somewhat close of a spot with decent security (if not manned, at least not in some dark alleyway).

thanks in advance. I was half tempted to start a new thread but figured I'd start here first.

Honestly, your best bet is to just park at a T station and ride to South Station. It adds a bit more time to travel, but those tend to be reasonably safe and much cheaper than parking near the BCEC, even with ticket costs.

If you're intent on driving up and parking, the BCEC lot is the best bet in terms of security/closeness, but you'll need to shoot for an arrival time around 7am or so if you want anything near the entrance. I'm not sure what the Thursday situation will be, since it's a new addition and the tickets seem to still be available, but 7am or earlier is your best bet.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    There are also parking options nearby. There's a giant surface lot near the Whisky Priest that tons of people park in for shows and nightlife. There are also some hotels with parking garages. The problem with Thurs/Fri is that you'll be battling for parking not only with PAX goers, but also with the work folks. Sat/Sun should be easier.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • darkprincedarkprince Registered User new member
    I have a question. I'm going with a friend and I want to do one of the tornaments. however they are concerned about not being able to go to some of the stuff they want to see. so can I join a tournament and then leave after I am done the tournament I want to enter is one of the 7 wonders ones. I assume one group of 7 goes to at one time then the next goes the next hour. not sure though

Those are 4 independent 28 player tourneys. 4 groups of 7 play at once, winners then play each other in the final.

deep breath

boi

Let me tell you about parking, because there are really only three options. The first is near the Necco garage, and it's a large (1,000 car) lot that charges only $22 per day on a weekday, and less on a weekend. It's the cheapest option around there. The second is behind the BCEC. This fills up fast, but it's a great spot. It's also where most of the exhibitors park, so it can get crowded. Parking is $15 I think? The third is the secret but tiny spot right under the bridge. To the lucky few who park here, it's only a short walk to the BCEC or the hotels. This is amazing if the weather stinks.

I've labeled them on a map here: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/11w0Gmb83RzLsmo1OXVkULkkgNcptanSTINUnuGeLPds/

Best arrival times are between 8am - 9am each day. Since the first two days are weekdays, you're also competing with commuters, so the lot near Necco is my suggestion. I work at South Station and it's where I park when I need my car.

Sadly, most don't offer in/out privileges. You'd be better off parking at a hotel if that's important to you - they tend to be $32 - $40 a day.

Good luck!

e2TtnRd.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Just a word of warning on parking, I would take any advice based on last year with a grain of salt. I walked from the Seaport to the BCEC this morning, and I feel like I saw 8 new buildings or construction where there were lots before, and one of them was a new parking garage structure (did not look complete). This area is changing rapidly, and some lots you are used to might be gone, and others might be available. Not saying any of the above advice is outdated necessarily, but your mileage may vary.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I am hoping to play D&D with my wife at the Friday 11 am into to Adventurer league. Do i need to make some sort of advance reservation? Beeline for those tables as soon as doors open at 10am?

steam_sig.png
    THANK YOU ALL for those that provided details on parking. It's extremely appreciated.

• rosabelle334rosabelle334 Registered User new member
    What’s the difference between the Guidebook schedule and the PAX east stand-alone app? I made my personal schedule before learning about the app, but when I open the app it looks the same as guidebook but does not have my personal schedule. Is there any benefit to using one over the other?

What’s the difference between the Guidebook schedule and the PAX east stand-alone app? I made my personal schedule before learning about the app, but when I open the app it looks the same as guidebook but does not have my personal schedule. Is there any benefit to using one over the other?

i like the app because you can essentially create an electronic schedule that is saved in the app. It's also nice because it tells you when you have an overlap (ie: you save an event from 10-11, but try to add a 10:30-11:30 event it will pop up a warning). you can still add both and both will show up in your own custom schedule in the app, but it's kind of a nice feature. also there's an option to set an alarm warning (ie 15 minutes before) to remind you of an upcoming event you marked. not an expert here but that's my experience so far.

i like the app because you can essentially create an electronic schedule that is saved in the app. It's also nice because it tells you when you have an overlap (ie: you save an event from 10-11, but try to add a 10:30-11:30 event it will pop up a warning). you can still add both and both will show up in your own custom schedule in the app, but it's kind of a nice feature. also there's an option to set an alarm warning (ie 15 minutes before) to remind you of an upcoming event you marked. not an expert here but that's my experience so far.

I mean, the schedule on Guidebook does exactly the same thing you're describing. I wondering what the difference is between the two.

Beker wrote: »
    Just a word of warning on parking, I would take any advice based on last year with a grain of salt ...

Totally agree. The area is nuts - just today I parked in that lot near the Necco garage, and they were redoing the harborwalk nearby. I can say that the lots I recommended are open, available, and running as of a few weeks ago, same with the others I called out. I use them regularly when I need to drive into work.

e2TtnRd.png
  • SiraRavenSiraRaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    If I actually want to wait in line at a booth to get a limited item, does anyone know how early it might be good to get there?

This is my 4th PAX, and I've generally just done indies and avoided the big-name booths. (apart from waiting early to trying to demo Splatoon a few years ago and having the line be full) When I did that (in 2015 I believe), we were let into the building before the expo hall opened and waited in queues on the floor of the hall. However, the PAX website says that the show hours and the expo hall hours both start at 10. Does that mean people won't be let in until 10? I'd like to try and sign in for the My Nintendo thing that lets you come back later to play games, but it's first-come first-serve, and I fear it will run out very fast. Anyone have any experience waiting for something like this?

SiraRaven on
    SiraRaven wrote: »
    If I actually want to wait in line at a booth to get a limited item, does anyone know how early it might be good to get there?

This is my 4th PAX, and I've generally just done indies and avoided the big-name booths. (apart from waiting early to trying to demo Splatoon a few years ago and having the line be full) When I did that (in 2014 I believe), we were let into the building before the expo hall opened and waited in queues on the floor of the hall. However, the PAX website says that the show hours and the expo hall hours both start at 10. Does that mean people won't be let in until 10? I'd like to try and sign in for the My Nintendo thing that lets you come back later to play games, but it's first-come first-serve, and I fear it will run out very fast. Anyone have any experience waiting for something like this?

If you REALLY want something, make it your first stop and be in line well before 10am. I believe they let people in the buildin at 8am, but the queue for the expo floor isnt let in until 10am. But even being in that line means nothing. Some things always are gone or capped right away (Twitch swag Im looking at you lol). Last year I remember getting signed up for some VR demos but it was right away, and filled up fast. Maybe each day pick one thing you really really want and make that your first stop.

My rule of thumb is always limit my line to one big thing a day. Its so exhausting to wait otherwise.

Nintento is a big one you and Thursday will probably be your best chance!

I mean, the schedule on Guidebook does exactly the same thing you're describing. I wondering what the difference is between the two.

Ah I see what's happening here...
    The Guidebook from (https://guidebook.com/guide/116957/myschedule/) is an online Guidebook and you can create an account where your schedule and stuff is stored on the guidebook.com site.

The App on the other hand is the exact same thing as The Guidebook on the web, but it's just in app form. As you've noted it appears that the two do not sync up. I can't find a way to "log in" to the app either because I have a feeling both the app and the web guide book are hosted on the same server, but realistically I think for app users the custom schedule is simply stored on your phone and saved locally.

• SiraRavenSiraRaven Registered User regular
    If you REALLY want something, make it your first stop and be in line well before 10am. I believe they let people in the buildin at 8am, but the queue for the expo floor isnt let in until 10am. But even being in that line means nothing. Some things always are gone or capped right away (Twitch swag Im looking at you lol). Last year I remember getting signed up for some VR demos but it was right away, and filled up fast. Maybe each day pick one thing you really really want and make that your first stop.

My rule of thumb is always limit my line to one big thing a day. Its so exhausting to wait otherwise.

Nintento is a big one you and Thursday will probably be your best chance!

Yeah, unfortunately, only going to be there Friday - Sunday. :\ I'll probably try on Friday, and failing that, try again Sunday. Thanks for the info - at least I'll have my Switch with me while waiting!

• AirzonkAirzonk Registered User new member
    I will be going on Saturday for my first PAX. I was wondering how early do I need to get there to get a parking spot in the BCEC lot? Also, is reentry allowed? It would be nice if I could drop things off in my car in case I pick up a lot of stuff.

Airzonk wrote: »
    I will be going on Saturday for my first PAX. I was wondering how early do I need to get there to get a parking spot in the BCEC lot? Also, is reentry allowed? It would be nice if I could drop things off in my car in case I pick up a lot of stuff.

As a few people have said above, it depends, but around 7:00am - 7:30am is probably a safe bet for the BCEC lot. Keep in mind that a lot of exhibitors park trucks and cars there, so it gets crowded early. You can walk out to your car to drop things off if you'd like.

e2TtnRd.png
  • tommyhunt19tommyhunt19 Registered User new member
    So my girl friend left our badges at home (long island) and I go to school in Albany New York. Is there a way to to get our badges at the convention center or provide some type of ID so they can pull up our order to let us in. Thanks for the help guys

• lonelybolognalonelybologna Registered User new member
    I notice on the Badge registration page, at the bottom has a link to Prize Station Rules. https://www.paxxp.com/Content/East_PAX_XP_2018_Prize_Station_Official_Rules.pdf

Question: In the rules it states Eligibility is US resident and 18 years of age or older. If one of the badges is registered for my son, at 15 years of age, and that badge wins, is it void or will I be able to claim the prize? *Rules also state non-transferable.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2018
    So my girl friend left our badges at home (long island) and I go to school in Albany New York. Is there a way to to get our badges at the convention center or provide some type of ID so they can pull up our order to let us in. Thanks for the help guys
    There is no guarantee that this can be resolved, but what can potentially help is having someone where the badges are give some sort of proof that they are not at the convention, and then take this information with you to the registration area in the bcec lobby with your photo id and your confirmation information.

Your absolute most sure fire method of resolution is to have someone overnight the badges to your hotel.

zerzhul on
    Cabadrin wrote: »
    Airzonk wrote: »

As a few people have said above, it depends, but around 7:00am - 7:30am is probably a safe bet for the BCEC lot. Keep in mind that a lot of exhibitors park trucks and cars there, so it gets crowded early. You can walk out to your car to drop things off if you'd like.

if today is any indication for the remaining days this parking situation is only going to get worse!! I got to the bcec Lot today at 0715 and saw about 100 cars already. On top of that there’s maybe 800 people already in line outside. Insanity ensues!

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    How has Day 1 been? Going Saturday-Sunday and want to gauge what I should make a point to see this year.

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
    How has Day 1 been? Going Saturday-Sunday and want to gauge what I should make a point to see this year.

Honestly my first impression was wow. Just wow. Imagine the biggest toy store possible and multiply that store times 1000 and limit it to card, board, electronic games and that’s pax east. Add on some educational seminars, some celebrities, fast food, AND LOTS of expected, not-regrettable, additional money spent and that’s your con.

I’m hooked. Looking forward to next year already.

zerzhul wrote: »
    Tournaments (top)

When do I sign up for tournaments?
    Tournament registration is Thursday or Day of. Look out for each departments Tournament thread for specific information when it gets close to PAX. If there's no thread for the tournament type you are interested in, head to that department asap when you get to pax to get the information! Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.

Can anyone point me to the tournament page for handhelds?