As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movie of the year!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Ok, I know this probably should be posted in SE, but I figured if I posted it here, it might actually have some real debate, and not..well..whatever the hell goes on in SE.

Admittedly, I havn't seen a lot of the biggies of the fall, like No Country For Dead Men, Charlie Wilson's War, Sweeny Todd, ect. but from what I've seen of the rest of the year, I'm going to have to go with:

-Comedy: Superbad. I don't think I need to elaborate much on this one.

-Action: A toss up between 300 and Death Proof. I know most people won't agree with me on Death Proof, but I absolutely loved it. Getting to know all of those girls in the first half
Just so they could be killed off in less than five minutes.
And one of the most intense car scenes I've ever seen to finish it off.

-Documentary: SiCKO. I really enjoyed this movie. The movie wasn't focused on Michael Moore this time, which was a pleasant surprise, instead it put much more emphasis on what others said and believed. The only big stunt he pulled was the trip to Cuba, and when he got there, the focus was put directly back on the patients, not himself.

I know there are a lot of other genres to be covered, but I'll let you do that.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't really recall all the movies I saw during the year right now, but Sunshine really sticks out in my mind as one that really blew me away - primarily 'cause I didn't expect it to be good. Fantastic movie, though; one of the best science fiction films, perhaps, ever. The music, the visuals, the characterization, the pacing, etc. I could go on. God, that's a good movie.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Superbad, Best movie of the year. Period. You mean.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If Superbad doesn't win every award possible I will be angry at the world.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hot Fuzz, you cretins. Hot motherfucking Fuzz.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hot Fuzz, you cretins. Hot motherfucking Fuzz.
    That wasn't this year was it?

Edit: Oh, it was. Came out in Feburary. So very long ago. Still, Superbad was much better.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Fountain came out on DVD in 2007, does that count? I never saw it at the cinema.

LewieP on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spider-Man 3

:D :^:

:lol ahahahahaha :lol yeah right.

I'm still in a I Am Legend mood so my vote goes there.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I Am Legend was... good, but it bothered me. There was really ridiculous amount of product placement.

Actual spoilers:
    I mean, if Legally Blonde: The Musical is still on Broadway in 2009, I'll eat my hat. And how on earth was the sports car from the first scene of the movie so damn shiny, even after he ran into things?

And the whole scene with the dogs... Why would that zombie release his dogs, and then walk away? Why was he by himself? Why couldn't the dogs cross before the last sliver of light was gone? Two inches of light wasn't going to kill them.

And, if Will Smith knew he had this enormous fireball grenade, which would fill the room with flame... why exactly couldn't he throw it and then hide?

Tarantio on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    -Documentary: SiCKO. I really enjoyed this movie. The movie wasn't focused on Michael Moore this time, which was a pleasant surprise, instead it put much more emphasis on what others said and believed. The only big stunt he pulled was the trip to Cuba, and when he got there, the focus was put directly back on the patients, not himself.

Bit like saying that Bin Laden's occasional videos are great documentaries because they put the emphasis on what others say and believe, puts the focus on the bloke on the ground, and the only big stunt was that 9/11 thing.

Sicko is a bullshit puff piece with absolutely no consideration of the other side of the argument, and a relentlessly biased and misleading presentation of facts. Michael Moore inframe or not, it's still just polemic, which is fine, just don't start giving it 'documentary' plaudits.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    American Gangster. I'm not really a big fan of gangster movies, or of Denzel Washington, but I left that movie wanting to get involved in the drug trade. It was so brilliantly done.

Superbad made me laugh for 90 minutes (or however long it was), but American Gangster changed my life, for the better.

Lail on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    The Fountain came out on DVD in 2007, does that count? I never saw it at the cinema.
    If that were the only movie to come out this year, I would choose a mentos commercial over it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Isn't that the movie with you know, the space traveling tree and time traveling Wolverine?

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I left that movie wanting to get involved in the drug trade.

Umm you do realize that :

The movie ended with him getting arrested and his life destroyed and now he probably has to move around constantly to avoid getting killed by people he fucked over when he snitched everyone out. He was lucky, 9 times out of 10 you end up dead, your even more lucky if you die quickly.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No Country for best movie in general. I can get behind Superbad as best comedy - it was really quite great. I don't see how anyone could have liked I Am Legend, but I'm not going to derail the thread for that. American Gangster was fantastic, but I don't really think it succeeded on a level that will make it a classic, whereas some films this year did.

As for Death Proof in the original post, I suppose you're aware that you're in the minority on that opinion so it's not as bad. But seriously, there was almost zero character development. The dialogue was there for its own value, and it did very little to reveal anything beyond the superficial concerning the women, much less make you care for any of them. Tarantino didn't seem to understand why his dialogue heavy style succeeds and why it fails, so we were left with a miserable mess of an attempt.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    UnkSoldier, do you really expect anything different out of people? Look at all the wannabe gangsters who worship Scarface. Some folk can block out quite a bit when they get attached to something.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drama: Zodiac
    Comedy: Knocked Up (didn't see Superbad yet)
    Action: Can I pick Hot Fuzz? Grindhouse was awesome in double feature form.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    None of the "serious" movies really sat well with me this year, except for American Gangster.

I enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard the most this year. Followed closely by 300.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bourne was the most awesome move of the year, no doubt.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bourne was the most awesome move of the year, no doubt.

Maybe if that was the only movie you saw all year...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Bit like saying that Bin Laden's occasional videos are great documentaries because they put the emphasis on what others say and believe, puts the focus on the bloke on the ground, and the only big stunt was that 9/11 thing.

Sicko is a bullshit puff piece with absolutely no consideration of the other side of the argument, and a relentlessly biased and misleading presentation of facts. Michael Moore inframe or not, it's still just polemic, which is fine, just don't start giving it 'documentary' plaudits.

You're seriously comparing SiCKO to a fucking Bin Laden video? How the fuck does that make any sense at all? One guy is talking about changing the health care system for the betterment (or so he believes) of America. Nobody is going to get hurt, in fact, his plan is to help people. How the fuck can you honestly compare that to Bin Laden and the 9/11 attacks?

It's true he only showed one side of the story, but then again, isn't that kind of the point of his movies? To show the other side. Assuming you live in America, you know how it works, and you don't need to be told again.

But enough of that, this isn't a healthcare thread. There already is one of those.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

You're seriously comparing SiCKO to a fucking Bin Laden video? How the fuck does that make any sense at all? One guy is talking about changing the health care system for the betterment (or so he believes) of America. Nobody is going to get hurt, in fact, his plan is to help people. How the fuck can you honestly compare that to Bin Laden and the 9/11 attacks?

It's true he only showed one side of the story, but then again, isn't that kind of the point of his movies? To show the other side. Assuming you live in America, you know how it works, and you don't need to be told again.

But enough of that, this isn't a healthcare thread. There already is one of those.

The problem is that Micheal Moore shows the other side of the issue via fact manipulation, and that is a big no-no. Giving people false information to support your side of the issue, even if you think it is the right side, is still wrong. The problem with SiCKO is not whether or not it supports socialized healthcare.

None of the movies this year really seemed that good to me. I guess I would have to say 300 is the movie of the year. Thankfully, next year looks like there might be some good movies.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Dark Knight trailer is the movie of the year.

The Dark Knight will be the movie of forever.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    For me, it's a tossup between Juno and Superbad as far as comedies go.

No Country For Old Men was probably the best drama, although I really liked Gone Baby Gone too.

Jebu on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Darjeeling Ltd was pretty good - although I am kind of a sucker for slow paced road films that sort of but don't really go anywhere.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

No, I was comparing Sicko's credentials as a documentary to a bin Laden video as a documentary. Since a bin Laden video is obviously biased and not a documentary, that presumably implies something about Sicko, as IShallRise pointed out.

Now this is important, so listen carefully. Comparing two things != saying they are exactly the same. Otherwise there wouldn't be a comparison, would there; they would simply be two identical things.

I'm not saying Michael Moore is a terrorist. Learn what a comparison is. Calm down.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I left that movie wanting to get involved in the drug trade.

Umm you do realize that :

The movie ended with him getting arrested and his life destroyed and now he probably has to move around constantly to avoid getting killed by people he fucked over when he snitched everyone out. He was lucky, 9 times out of 10 you end up dead, your even more lucky if you die quickly.

Yeah, I know, I know.

Lail on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's between Hot Fuzz and Superbad for me. But then I don't watch much movies.

Peas on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Maybe after looking at 2007 as a whole, I'll change my mind, but right now I'm still dead serious.

I Am Legend was good. The story was fine, action and all good.

But I'm just a huge sucker for the (at least relatively) great characterization, and the small details. The boy grabbing the knife, fine touch. The posters. The small things that contributed in only a small way, or not at all, to the story. The camera work, also.

Eh, give me a week or so to get off the movie, since I just saw it, and I'll be able to give a more definite, accurate assessment.

I thought Knocked Up was better than Superbad.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Huh, I thought IAL was absolutely terrible. I am very much a 'it's not bad' guy in that almost anything will be 'okay' for me even if I don't genuinely endorse it. I couldn't stand IAL, though.

I just kept thinking of the book while watching the movie. I wish I could say how the movie was independent of the book but I can't bring myself to divorce the two in my mind.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh, see, there we go. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and I never read the book.

In other words, read less, nerd!

How bad was it, really, compared to the book? Cause seriously, as a movie, I thought it was great. Maybe not high art, or FANTASTIC, but certainly worth a recommendation.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, I haven't seen No Country for Old Men yet, even though it's supposed to be amazing. However I did just get back from Charlie Wilson's war last night, and it was absolutely fantastic. Philip Seymour Hoffman stole the show, but his character was just so brilliant along Tom Hanks' character.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, I don't want to spoil portions of the book but let's just say that though I thought WS's acting was impressive and emotive, the plot elements introduced in the film aren't even comparable to those in the book. They could have had any actor in there and he wouldn't have been able to convey the raw emotion and profoundity put forth by Neville in the book.

The movie itself wasn't horrible, I guess. As I said, WS did great with what he had. I just found reading IAM to be such a moving and effective experience that the relatively apathetic tone of the film just eliminated any chance for me to enjoy the movie.

I am definitely not a high brow film major or anything, so that's not the direction from which I'm putting down.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't imagine it'd even be possible for a person, ever, to accurately portray what'd be like to live completely alone for 3 years. But not just alone. Nightly fear of death, combined with the almost complete knowledge that you are the last. person. alive.

So no, WS's acting probably didn't totally grasp that reality, but I think he did a fine job, anyhow.

But that one line, "[Boy's name], put down the knife."

I don't know, it was such a good touch. Spoke so much of their life, that even the boy's naturaly reaction by now was a knife. It's such a simple, simple thing, so small, but to take the thought and time to include it... it's good.

Was that line in the book?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My vote for best comedy goes to: HOT FUZZ. Just no equal to be seen. Superbad was fun when it focused on Mcloving, but rest of the time it was amusing, bordering on the laugh out loud. Hot fuzz was funny from the get go and never stopped.

For best action: Do I even have to say this you guy? TRANSFORMERS. From a "this might not suck" feeling before the movie itself, to seeing it in a theather filled with fellow geeks/nerds. This was the movie event of the year. It lived up to the hype, wich is no mean feat. Also: Whoever gets Peter Cullen to voice his campaing adds come 2008 will win the presidency. Why? Cause every man younger than 35 has had it hardwired into him that you should obey Optimus Prime without question.

As for Sicko, didn't see it, but just want to say: you want a fair and balanced flick? Get the fuck outa here. Its not like the healthcare industry is so comitted to telling people the truth. They manipulated the Media even more(and with bigger budgets) than Michael Moore could do with a 1000 docs. Try getting an straight honest answer out of them, then complain about Moore.

tl:dr: Hott Fuzz and Transformers are the Movies of the year.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My thoughts on I Am Legend
    The movie was excellent until the woman arrived; It looked like they were going to keep the original ending. The dog scene was especially good. Unfortunately, Hollywood decided the ending wasn't upbeat enough and changed it. The whole woman being led there by god, who also happened to give her specific directions to a survivor colony, was retarded, and just lazy writing. The kid with no speaking parts was just stupid. Also, not having the awesome ending of the book and instead having him develop a cure was a poor choice. The movie has been remade multiple times, can't they just have the ending of the book for once?

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No mentions of Ratatouille? :(

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I actually got really bored halfway through Transformers. Like, me and my friends were slouching in our seats even though we were seeing it on the biggest movie screen in the city. I think Knocked Up and Superbad were the funniest movies I've ever seen period, but I bet that most comedy awards will go to Juno because it's a quirky independent movie (and I thought it was a piece of shit, but Ellen Page was really good). It felt like for every moment in Knocked Up or Superbad that makes you go "haha this is funny because this is how people really act" there was an equal moment in Juno that made you go "what the fuck no one ever acts or talks like this". No Country for Old Men was really great and will most definitely get some Oscar nominations and if Javier Bardem doesn't get Best Supporting Actor then something is wrong with the world. Does There Will Be Blood come out before the end of the year? I heard it's supposed to be equal to or above NCFOM in terms of quality, but I guess it might have to be a great 2008 movie...

I also thought I Am Legend was really good until
    the woman/kid showed up. That woman just pissed me off for some reason.

Convael on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My thoughts on I Am Legend
    The movie was excellent until the woman arrived; It looked like they were going to keep the original ending. The dog scene was especially good. Unfortunately, Hollywood decided the ending wasn't upbeat enough and changed it. The whole woman being led there by god, who also happened to give her specific directions to a survivor colony, was retarded, and just lazy writing. The kid with no speaking parts was just stupid. Also, not having the awesome ending of the book and instead having him develop a cure was a poor choice. The movie has been remade multiple times, can't they just have the ending of the book for once?

I agree. I liked the set direction and Will Smith's performance, as well as the scary bits, but toward the end it just became a cliche pile of crap.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ratatouille really bored me. I mean it looked damn fantastic but all Pixar films do anyway. Maybe I need to watch it again? Originally I watched one of my dad's pirated copies and there were several parts where you could see the fingers of the guy filming the movie passing in front of the camera.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    note: I'll be spoilering things from the film but not from the book, since this thread isn't about the book. If you don't want the book spoilered, don't read this post. Then again, the book is 50 years old... go read it!

I don't imagine it'd even be possible for a person, ever, to accurately portray what'd be like to live completely alone for 3 years. But not just alone. Nightly fear of death, combined with the almost complete knowledge that you are the last. person. alive.

So no, WS's acting probably didn't totally grasp that reality, but I think he did a fine job, anyhow.

Maybe I didn't portray my view accurately: WS did a fantastic job in the context of the movie. Given the plot elements he was given
    (being alone for 3 years, losing his family, losing his dog, the mannequins, etc.)
    he did great. I liked his performance. I just think that the film left out some plot components from the book that would have added miles to the proverbial emotional depth of the film.

For example:

In the beginning of the film
    Neville already has his dog in his car.
    In the book Neville had to go through a lengthy process to get the dog. He had to lure it out for days on end with food and gentleness and an unassuming demeanor. After being alone for a very long time, Neville had to put his entire soul- literally exhaust the last bits of humanity in his emotional reservoir- into winning over his first companion in years. So,
    when the dog dies
    in the book it is substantially more emotive and impactful. All of the mental effort of finally gaining a breathing body to keep him company and voila. Gone.

Another issue is the 'zombie'-ish nature of the infected in the film. In the book they were still somewhat lucid and animated. You think it's creepy for them to shout in a mindless, hungry drone while he's cuddled in the bathtub with Sam? (pictured in the trailer) In the book they shouted his name while pounding, endlessly and inexorably, on his window through each and every night. His old neighbor would constantly taunt him.

Further, in the book
    he really is the last one. The 'survivors' are just infected who are partially holding the disease at bay. They still have an aversion to sunlight and all. But there is no human 'colony'. The reason he's called a legend in the book is that he goes on to kill these quasi-infected and so, to them, he becomes a legend. The irony is in the fact that we think of vampires as the stuff of legend, coming at night to take our loved ones. In the book Neville essentially becomes legend by being the boogey man to these quasi-infected, semi-living vampires; he doesn't become legend by creating the cure.

Another thing that bothered me was him being in the army at all. In the book he is a very flawed guy from the outset- a semi-alcoholic factory worker with no real knowledge of bacteriology until he studies it himself after the breakout. In another totally fucked up and emotional revelation, some of the 'sort of still living' in the book hang out in his wife's tomb.
    Was that line in the book?

There was no little boy in the book.

Organichu on