As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reggie Fils-Aime + Broodax + Fable 2 + Kratos

TimoViholaTimoVihola Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hi everyone!

I've always thought Penny Arcade characters would look cool painted or sculpted so I ended up doing a painted version of my favourite Penny Arcade comic - featuring God of War's main character Kratos http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/03/27 (<-link to the original comic)

KratosComicPainted.jpg

I made some small adjustments to the characters so they read better in shaded form but nothing drastic, it's about 80-90% match of the original when it comes to proportions and facial features. I started doing it as 3 panel piece but it lost some of the "painting" appeal so in the end I did just one panel.

It was very fun to paint and I'll definitely do another if I have any spare time this christmas..

Crits & comments are welcome! (don't mention the font though, I have no idea what it's called and upscaling messed that up and it's too hard to fix ;-))

TimoVihola on

• mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Everything looks great there, except her hand on his shoulder. The outlining there is incongruous.

mattharvest on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Good style and form indeed, Kratos' face looks excellent. The woman's right cheek is really weird though (not to mention that she looks like Michael Jackson).

Mayday on
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Moro :D

I'll say this in english because I think it's a bit offending to talk a language no one else understands here. But great to see new finns around here, last time I made a mistake thinking a guy called Sami to be finnish but actually he was swedish. Btw, I looked throught your portfolio. Nice work! It's strange that I haven't seen your work tho there's no decent finnish places to get good crits for your work =/ but hey, Tervetuloa joukkoon!

no_toast on
  • TimoViholaTimoVihola Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mattharvest: I did some small changes there, does it look better?

HandComparison.jpg

Mayday, I added color to the face and changed the cheek, hope it doesn't look like the infamous Neverland Rancher anymore 8-)

HeadComparison.jpg

no_toast: Terve! Few years ago when I was much more active on forums I used to post frequently at Sijun.com, there were lots of other Finnish and Scandinavian people from demoscene and overall the forums had very personal feel. Though nowdays it's not as active as it used to be... sniff

Thanks for the c&c everyone, much appreciated!

TimoVihola on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i think its wild how you went a realistic approach while still maintaining their cartoon features. At first glance i thought it to be a clay sculpture or something. I think its cool what you did, but now you got interested in seeing a full on translation of the panel, i.e, ditch the cartoon features and paint the two like real people from a photograph.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would be interested in seeing more of these. I think you did a great job on the first! :)

NightDragon on
    edited December 2007
    good changes all around.

mattharvest on
    edited December 2007
    Glad you like it!

I started doing another one, this time a full panel with slightly altered style. First panel is closest to final, in the second panel I'm having some trouble getting the woman's facial expression look good with shading.. Original can be seen here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/07

FableWorkInProgress.jpg

TimoVihola on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hate to say it, but I kind f wish the comic looked like this.

NotASenator on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You should email these to Gabe, he'd probably think they were pretty neat.

Brolo on
    edited December 2007
    It'd be harder to keep up the schedule, if they were painting it like this every time though.

mattharvest on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Awesome.

NightDragon on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    man, i gotta see more of these!
    i'm hooked.

mully on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TimoVihola wrote: »
    mattharvest: I did some small changes there, does it look better?

HandComparison.jpg

Mayday, I added color to the face and changed the cheek, hope it doesn't look like the infamous Neverland Rancher anymore 8-)

HeadComparison.jpg

no_toast: Terve! Few years ago when I was much more active on forums I used to post frequently at Sijun.com, there were lots of other Finnish and Scandinavian people from demoscene and overall the forums had very personal feel. Though nowdays it's not as active as it used to be... sniff

Thanks for the c&c everyone, much appreciated!

What was your name on Sijun? I still read the forums there from time to time, mainly the speedpainting thread. The rest of the forums are pretty quiet though.

Brolo on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Joe Pekar's gonna be pissed.:P

Really awesome, man; I'd love to see more.

Tam on
    edited December 2007
    Here's the final, it was a lot more work to do ALL panels instead of one :shock: I might make some small tweaks after I've rejuvenated myself with alcholol and food haha

FableComicPainted.jpg

NotACrook, Rolo, mattharvest, NightDragon, mully, Tam - thanks a lot for the comments and support!

Rolo, my name there is "Bg" over there.

PS. any specific comic you would like to see painted next?

TimoVihola on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Awesome...

DeeLock on
  • 8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    HA! really nice.
    Great painterly look... but it's particularly and you really managed to retain that PA feel.

Snazzy indeed.

8BitLoser on
    iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
    In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love them, and after not lending any crits or comments, I am willing to throw out a comic I would like to see painted up.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here's a challenge! Try doing the latest Twisp and Catspy 2-part story comics!

Godfather on
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's been said. But I shall say it once more.

This is all just fucking awesome.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    no_toast wrote: »

I'll say this in english because I think it's a bit offending to talk a language no one else understands here. But great to see new finns around here, last time I made a mistake thinking a guy called Sami to be finnish but actually he was swedish. Btw, I looked throught your portfolio. Nice work! It's strange that I haven't seen your work tho there's no decent finnish places to get good crits for your work =/ but hey, Tervetuloa joukkoon!

no_toast: Actually, I'm an American. I do have some viking blood in me though :P Unless, of course, you're talking about some other Sami, in which case go ahead and ignore this.

Timo: Could you do Broodax? I need it to happen.

Sami on
  • teeuwenteeuwen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Looks really good.

teeuwen on
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    no_toast wrote: »

no_toast: Actually, I'm an American. I do have some viking blood in me though :P Unless, of course, you're talking about some other Sami, in which case go ahead and ignore this.

Timo: Could you do Broodax? I need it to happen.

Okay, two Samis then :D

no_toast on
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, you should definitely email these to Gabe. He'd get a real kick out of it. Maybe even link him to this thread.

Also, I agree that you should try a Twisp and Catsby.

Qorzm on
    edited March 2008
    Sami, here's Broodax:

BroodaxWIP.jpg

It's close to finished but not completely yet. Original here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/05/07

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

TimoVihola on
  • OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, that is really awesome. Nice work.

I second what Big Luke Nasty said, it'd be awesome to see http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/26 done like this.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    These are effing brilliant, you picked out two of my favourite PA's too.
    Gabe, Tycho and Timo, it doesn't exactly have a ring to it, but who'd give a shit if the comic looked this good.

Mustang on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God damn that Broodax one looks particularly gorgeous. :o

Kris on
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hey man your paintings are great i nominate this one next:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/10/12

sharky t on
    edited August 2008
    I had lots of fun doing this.
    Next I would like to try painting one of those Twisp and Catsby comics, my only concern is the
    complexity which makes it slower to paint.

original here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/7/13/

reggie.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

TimoVihola on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dear everybody who is reading this thread
    go look at his cg society profile
    it's like
    real nice

465_1142224135_submedium.jpg
    I link posted from cg society, are they going to explode at me?

beavotron on