As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SteamOS] Next-gen Master Race discussion

1293031323335»

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    The touch menu is an awesome idea.

Basically if you've ever played Left 4 Dead or TF2, and used the "command wheel" for different voice barks, it's like a configurable version of that. Heck, you probably could use it for that, it supports anywhere from 2 to 16 buttons (and it supports mode-shifting, so you can double that count if you really need to).

It appears on-screen via the big-picture overlay, and you can also set size, screen position, and opacity.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Significantly worse? I disagree with that. However, as the first comment pointed out, this could be due to video card drivers not being optimized for it. Hopefully if the SteamOS gains traction then Nvidia/AMD will put more work into optimization for the Linux OS.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The only real benchmark that is "significantly worse" looks like Shadow of Mordor on ultra, where you go from a (not ideal, but still playable) 35fps on Windows down to a less than 15fps slideshow on SteamOS. If the Steambox is targeting the living room where most 1080p TVs are 60hz than as long as you're hitting 60fps you're golden, so the difference between getting 60gps and 160fps might as well be academic.

Regardless of significance though, there wasn't a single game where SteamOS didn't see a framerate drop compared to Windows. Dropping from 150fps to 110fps in a game that is almost a decade old isn't a huge deal, but going from almost a hundred frames a second to just barely clearing sixty could be. It shows that there is a big performance divide between Windows and Linux, and the average consumer that wants a PC experience in a console formfactor/price in their living room (the person the Steambox is targeting) isn't going to care whose "fault" it is, assuming they even know what DirectX or OpenGL even are. All that they hear is the console/potato "glorious pc master race" nonsense that spews out of internet trashheaps like reddit and as a result I think a lot of people are going to have incorrect expectations when they end up spending almost $500 on a Steambox that is really nothing more than a dual core i3 with 4GB of RAM and a 2GB mystery Nvidia CPU.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think if they can at least hit the visuals/framerate of the console versions then everything above should be icing on the cake right? Shadows of Mordor on Ultra looks significantly better than the console versions, right?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If you're interested in a device that will get you the visuals and framerate of a console, that device already exists and is much cheaper - it's a console.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    If you're interested in a device that will get you the visuals and framerate of a console, that device already exists and is much cheaper - it's a console.

Not really?

Because SteamBoxes get you all the PC games, not just all the console games.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Not really?

Because SteamBoxes get you all the PC games, not just all the console games.

Except they don't.

They get you SOME of the PC games.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Which is still a bigger library than any console at the moment.

Ugh, why did I buy that PS4. Buyer's Remorse at it's finest.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Significantly worse? I disagree with that. However, as the first comment pointed out, this could be due to video card drivers not being optimized for it. Hopefully if the SteamOS gains traction then Nvidia/AMD will put more work into optimization for the Linux OS.

Yeah, saying that Linux video card drivers aren't as well optimized as they could be is putting it mildly; this has been an issue forever. Around a decade ago, users of some video cards had situations where games were unplayably slow under Linux (but not Windows) because the drivers didn't fully support popular OpenGL extensions.

Another thing that's probably holding performance back is the ancient X11 graphics display protocol we've lugged along since the 80s. It's this whole client/server song and dance designed to make it easy for thin clients to access a graphical desktop on a central server. The two competing alternatives (Wayland and Mir) are supposed to make it significantly easier to write performant closed source drivers.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Latest numbers are 4339 "games" on Steam, with 872 of those being available on Linux, which is around 20%, an increase of 2% since September. Seems to be slowing down.

967 out of 4678=20.6%, which is up slightly from the 20.09% from earlier in the year.

Hopefully more people will jump on board with this once Valve rolls out more info at GDC this year.

1249 out of 5622 = 22.21%, up almost 2% from this February, likely due to the number of Steam Greenlight titles that are also linux compatible.

Figured it was time for an update now that these things are out. 1566 out of 6807 titles are Linux compatible, making it about 23% even, so only an .8% jump since June. I wonder if these things being out will jumpstart the numbers, or if we're seeing it slow to a near stop.

Hey, it's that time again

1992 out of 7877 are linux compatible, which is around 25.29%, which is about a 2.29% jump in the past four months, which is a big boost in the last four months.

Also there's been 1070 games added to steam in those last four months. Good fucking lord.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    25.29% is such a far way to come from the days when we had Doom and Abuse.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Tried my hand at Steam OS install over the weekend. I guess the computer I was using was more outdated than I thought. Couldn't get it to boot USB, and when I finally found a DVD iso, it failed on base system install.

Trying to decide if I wanna give it another shot, it was more just something to mess around with, and not a necessity.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Tried my hand at Steam OS install over the weekend. I guess the computer I was using was more outdated than I thought. Couldn't get it to boot USB, and when I finally found a DVD iso, it failed on base system install.

Trying to decide if I wanna give it another shot, it was more just something to mess around with, and not a necessity.

I managed to get a dual boot system up and running at one point. Hit me up if you have any questions

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    edited June 2016
    In case anyone still cares how Steam Machines are doing...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular

Think I'm kinda in the same boat. Tried to get SteamOS on my old ASUS non-UEFI system and I couldn't get the damned thing to boot, not to USB, not to DVD, and I'm still not sure why.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    In case anyone still cares how Steam Machines are doing...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/

So sad. I was really hoping for Valve to make something happen here. Until they went the Googlr route and released a product with zero push, which doesn't really work unless the product is obviously superior.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    While it's true Steam Machines aren't exactly flying off the shelves, our reasons for striving towards a competitive and open gaming platform haven't significantly changed...

Christ, that's an understatement.

Error wrote: »

So, they're continuing to shoehorn Linux adaptations into Steam OS. Sounds like a good way to annoy Linux users.

Also a bit ironic considering Steam Machines happened because Gabe got annoyed at Microsoft forcing Windows 8 apps to be downloaded through Tileworld.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293