As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Unplugged 2018 dates

mitcharfmitcharf Austin, TXRegistered User new member
I haven't seen any confirmed dates for PAX Unplugged 2018. I'm curious if there has been any statement made about whether or not it will conflict with BGG.con again. Hopefully not (at least that's my preference). I haven't seen anything posted about this, but I could easily have overlooked it. Thanks for any info anyone may have.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Haven't seen officially confirmed dates as of yet.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I don't believe they have announced yet but I do know they prefer not to conflict with other cons when it can be avoided. A lot of that is dependent on the convention center and other factors though.

• bubba0077bubba0077 College Park, MDRegistered User regular
    Nov 30 - Dec 02

GGw8Z6o.png
    bubba0077 wrote: »
    Nov 30 - Dec 02
    Source?

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    bubba0077 wrote: »
    Nov 30 - Dec 02
    Source?

Those are the dates that were leaked by the PA convention center on their schedule page, and were then removed later. Someone on reddit archived the page before it disappeared.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170511112733/https://www.paconvention.com/event_feed/

If we don't want to keep unconfirmed stuff on here let me know and I'll remove my post.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • mouseydewmouseydew Registered User regular
    I really hope it stays the same weekend! I had soooo much fun and wouldn’t be able to go if it moves to first December weekend :( I think BGGCon is moving up a week next year so then there wouldn’t be a conflict like there was this year.

• futilesfutiles Registered User regular
    mouseydew wrote: »
    I really hope it stays the same weekend! I had soooo much fun and wouldn’t be able to go if it moves to first December weekend :( I think BGGCon is moving up a week next year so then there wouldn’t be a conflict like there was this year.

BGGCon is not moving, they have contracted out their dates for the next few years.

FWIW: Tom Vasel announced The Dice Tower's con appearances for the year earlier this week, and gave the dates for PAX Unplugged as the same weekend noted above.

GGw8Z6o.png
  • evanestalevanestal Registered User regular
    Is there a chance PAX unplugged is "one and done" and won't be back this year? I loved it last year but the crowds seemed light and badges were still available day of.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular

Serious answer: yes, UP will be back

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited March 2018
    evanestal wrote: »
    Is there a chance PAX unplugged is "one and done" and won't be back this year? I loved it last year but the crowds seemed light and badges were still available day of.
    "Light"? In its first year it was probably the 2nd or 3rd biggest board game convention in the US (PAX doesn't release numbers, but it is thought to have been about as big as Origins), and it was competing directly against another one (BGG Con).

bubba0077 on
    GGw8Z6o.png
    I hope it never becomes as crowded as something like gencon. I liked the more relaxed feel. Anyhow, yes, Unplugged 2018 is happening.

• evanestalevanestal Registered User regular
    I guess it wasn't light by board game conventions, but by PAX standards it is unheard of to still have badges for main days on day of, or such quiet halls in the late hours, or so many open tables. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the breathing room but was worried it may have not made the numbers necessary to repeat.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    that was a huge space and it was the first year. don't worry, it'll be sardines soon.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    To be fair, if it was as crowded as at least PAX East has become, it would drive a lot of people away. It was already too crowded for many things.

• ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    I seem to remember that Mike and Jerry confirmed the Nov. 30th - Dec. 2nd dates during one of the Q&A sessions at South earlier this year. Now I'm wondering when tickets will go on sale. I was going to guess that they would go on sale shortly after East finishes up, but according to the PAX Aus Twitter account that honor goes to Aus as that show's tickets go on sale on Tuesday.

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting and watching for the Unplugged tickets to go on sale.

mkf6ad9.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I think last year it was early May?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • christokimbochristokimbo Registered User new member
    I'm a bit disappointed that it covers that weekend. I'm sure I'm a vast minority, but this weekend is the last weekend of general open deer season! I'm an avid hunter and avid gamer and now I've got to pick between 2 things that only has a small window of opportunity! Ugh... I suppose I can skip the last few days of deer season for unplugged but it really sucks to have to choose! I prefer it earlier in November for sure. At least I live less than an hour away and I can still make it.

• Pixel HunterPixel Hunter Registered User new member
    For a first year convention that was competing directly against another established gaming con, I think PAX Unplugged did very well. And that was with minimal advertising. Many people on BGG forums and Facebook group didn't even know what PAX U was! Sure, the crowds were light compared to the likes of PAX East, but those other PAXes were much more lightly attended in their first years. Plus, PAX East moved to 4 days this year and Thursday tickets were available at the door.

I booked every weekend in November at my favored hotel across the street from the convention center trying to hedge my bets for PAX U this year and beat the jacked-up hotel prices. Except the weekend of Nov 30-Dec 2. When I called back to book that weekend, the prices were almost double! So that's a good indicator that something big is going on that weekend.

Also, while I was at PAX East, I spoke to a vendor who was also at PAX U last year. They were saying that PAX Unplugged 2018 is going to have a much stronger vendor presence. Apparently the hall that was half vendors and half open-play will now be ALL vendors and the play areas will move to another hall! That's insane growth after one year! Of course, this is just second-hand hearsay at this point.

However 2018 turns out, it can only get better. I think PAX U 2017 was awesome and I really enjoyed it. The gaming scene at the hotels surrounding the convention center was great, with every table in the common areas full of people playing games, visiting, seeing internet celebs sitting at tables next to you, and my wife even geeked out and had a fangirl moment when Patrick Rothfuss walked into our lobby just a couple feet away from where she was sitting!

• podunk the mightypodunk the mighty Game Designer TexasRegistered User regular
    Just wanted to jump in and also confirm the dates being Nov 30-Dec 2. I am a regular exhibitor at PAX South and will be a regular at PAX Unplugged, so take that for what it's worth.

PAX Unplugged did great, everyone I've spoken to that exhibited there did very well monitarily, myself included. Even though it was the same weekend as BGG Con the turnout was pretty great. I don't have the hard number of course but I'm pretty sure the reason it wasn't sold out is because the convention center in Philly is SO HUGE. If it ever did sell out I would honestly be scared to go, it would be so packed.

I'm super looking forward to going back to Unplugged now that we know the area and what we're doing. The only way we might not be there is if our Kickstarter doesn't fund and we end up without any games to sell, but even then we might just go to see family and have fun. I'm hoping this year we won't be sick and we get to do more after-hours activities!

On Their Merry Way Is On Kickstarter Today!
    I design games under the name New Experience Workshop.
    Website. Facebook. Twitter.
  • Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    So I got an email saying that the dates were Nov 30-Dec 2, but the website says Nov 30-Dec 3. Anybody know which is correct?

vru37z14gk5j.png

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Maaaaaan that's going to be rough on exhibitors. Holiday travel is bad enough...

Edit: I'm dumb, Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday, not the last Thursday.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Arithon32 wrote: »
    So I got an email saying that the dates were Nov 30-Dec 2, but the website says Nov 30-Dec 3. Anybody know which is correct?
    The PAX Unplugged website says Nov 30-Dec 2 right now. If it said otherwise, that would have been a typo I believe.

• Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Great. I thought so, but just wanted to double check.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• JailbirdyJailbirdy OhioRegistered User regular
    Am I reading this correctly, the convention is a Tuesday through Friday? (not Sat & Sun too)

Gamechefs LTD
    GT: Jailbirdy
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Jailbirdy wrote: »
    Am I reading this correctly, the convention is a Tuesday through Friday? (not Sat & Sun too)
    No, it is November 30th - December 2nd. That is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    Apologies in advance if this shouldn't be in this thread, but I couldn't find anything from last year. Did anyone save/screenshot the hotels thru OnPeak last year with pricing? Things obviously probably changed some, but I'm just trying to get an idea of pricing before tickets/hotels go live

5fhxvn385q28.png