As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Defenders] of the Earth

1121314151618»

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Luke Cage was amazing until Cottonmouth was no longer the big bad. Then it became just pretty good

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Luke Cage was amazing until Cottonmouth was no longer the big bad. Then it became just pretty good

Yeah Luke Cage is another show that I think was successful in spite of having to adhere to the Marvel Netflix formula, rather than because of it. They could've cut half the episodes and the big action set piece and it actually would have been a better show all around.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I still really appreciate how Harlem felt like a character rather than a setting in the show. I always felt like Harlem reacted to events in each episode. I didn't get that out of Hell's Kitchen, it felt very static to me. Which isn't necessarily a problem, just a difference that I enjoyed.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Pie in the sky dream for next season of Luke Cage: I would love it if there was an exploration of fallout from Black Panther affecting Luke's neighborhood. Doesn't require a direct appearance by main MCU characters, story could be [Black Panther Spoilers]:
    It turns out Killmonger did get some weapons out of Wakanda before he died, and they land in Harlem. Thugs get a hold of them, and Luke has to deal with the fallout. Bad guy could be Killmonger lite, being actually sympathetic and taking up Killmonger's cause, maybe even a friend of Luke's, but the destruction and destabilisation that a Vibranium backed Harlem uprising would cause is too much for Luke to just be able to stand by and live with

Continue the MCU synergy while staying very much true to Luke Cage's themes.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    On the Luke Cage front, series 2 got a date, June 22nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QON_OLQgZ4&t=0s

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Jessica Jones S2 Episode 1 is pretty great. I really like where they’re going with it.
    I audibly yelled OH NOOO when the Whizzer knocked the ashes to the ceiling

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    How many seasons of these shows until they stop jerking us around and let Jessica Jones and Luke Cage get back together and eventually married?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    How many seasons of these shows until they stop jerking us around and let Jessica Jones and Luke Cage get back together and eventually married?

Just to spite comics nerds, JJ will end up marrying and having a baby with Hogarth.

• Options
    I know it's his comic book destiny and all but of all the women in Luke's life I seriously hope he doesn't end up with JJ.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Just to spite comics nerds, JJ will end up marrying and having a baby with Hogarth.

I'm fine with watching that.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I know it's his comic book destiny and all but of all the women in Luke's life I seriously hope he doesn't end up with JJ.

Luke should hook up with Colleen, because she deserves better than Danny Rand, and I think that they would find common ground in discipline...her for her art, him for not destroying a world of cardboard.

Plus, Luke is into kung fu flicks, and having a Wing Chun master around would endlessly amuse him. Imagine their back-to-back fight scenes!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    They're kind of losing me with
    Nuke coming back. I was hoping it would be someone new/
    Edit: Okay it is someone new, nevermind.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Seeing Carrie-Anne Moss in this reminded me that The Matrix is almost twenty years old.

This is making me uncomfortably aware of my mortality.

Also re S2E1,
    the 'Whizzer' speed effects were distractingly bad.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Luke should hook up with Colleen, because she deserves better than Danny Rand, and I think that they would find common ground in discipline...her for her art, him for not destroying a world of cardboard.

Plus, Luke is into kung fu flicks, and having a Wing Chun master around would endlessly amuse him. Imagine their back-to-back fight scenes!

They should just replace Danny with Colleen entirely, make her the Iron Fist, and then it can be a Heroes for Hire team "on the streets and in the sheets."

• Options
    Also thanks, thread title, I can't scroll through D&D without my brain going 'DE-FEN-DERS-OF-THE-EARTH! du-du-du-du-du, defenderrrrrs'.

Friggin' Flash Gordon and Phantom.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Poor Foggy-bear

Edit: really like this villain. Super different from Purple Man.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    This is a very different season, not just from season 1 but also from other superhero shows. This season is about relationships and how complex and messed up they are. The plot is driven by the conflicting desires people have within themselves and with other people, and all the history built up between each other, both good and bad. Everything is messy and nothing turns out the way anyone wants, and that's the point.

But that's also why I think this season will be very divisive. Some people are going to hate it, especially the ones who wanted a more traditional superhero show.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I like this more than season 1 so far, but I also felt like that season went downhill in quality pretty sharply at times in the second half.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    My only issue right now is that JJ drinks Tin Cup.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Hey, she chose Maker's Mark in one episode.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    I'm not really getting
    Trish's thing with Nuke's inhaler. I feel like they could have removed that.
    Also definitely a show just like Punisher it feels like they could have cut down and made more effective. As early as 4 or 5 it feels like a natural conclusion can come in around 8 episodes so I don't know how they get to 13.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Every single one of these Netflix shows has felt padded out, I so wish they would cut them down to 8 episode seasons.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Every single one of these Netflix shows has felt padded out, I so wish they would cut them down to 8 episode seasons.
    I'm quite certain if they only had 8 episodes it would feel just as padded, there would just be less of it.

• Options
    Also does Ritter have tiny hands or are those cans of Red Bull that she's chugging criminally huge?

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Kneel wrote: »
    Also does Ritter have tiny hands or are those cans of Red Bull that she's chugging criminally huge?

She's been drinking the large cans frequently. In episode 1 you could see she had the standard size cans and the extra large cans on her desk.

bde69aad527fd2667a22c564e91c080e.jpg

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I'm not really getting
    Also definitely a show just like Punisher it feels like they could have cut down and made more effective. As early as 4 or 5 it feels like a natural conclusion can come in around 8 episodes so I don't know how they get to 13.

It's a pretty big deal that affects later episodes.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I'm not really getting

See I thought Punisher was the perfect length.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

I'm fine with watching that.

And then Mephisto retcons it all away.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK! I'm done with LC, IF, and Defenders! Just in time to watch JJ and LC s2.

My thoughts are pretty simple; I've loved each series. Yeah, even IF which I found far more enjoyable than I was led to believe. Then again, I've always been pretty easily entertained and try to just sit back and enjoy a show/movie.

It also doesn't hurt that I knew nothing about any of these characters going in. This helped get over any preconceived expectations I might have had. While no series has been perfect, there has been enough meat to keep me coming back for more.

And hands-down, JJ is the best character of the lot. I love her sassy attitude. Totally amped for her new season. Some critics are giving it low reviews, but clearly I don't give a damn, since I loved IF too.

OH! I love Colleen too! She's awesome! And it's great how Claire has been tied into each of the characters at some point or another. Love it.

OK, enough happy feedback. Get back to your bitchin' everyone. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm with you with IF. It was better than Luke Cage because Cage tanked 2nd half hard, IF was pretty even throughout mainly, though it could improve. Defenders is better too, just because it has all 4, even if it almost totally pissed away the potential most of the time.

JJ S2 seems more like a setup for 3, but it's still pretty good.

Personally I like Daredevil and the Punisher the best, JJ 2nd (great attitude, except when it's not employed properly), other 2 it depends on the episode.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK! I'm done with LC, IF, and Defenders! Just in time to watch JJ and LC s2.

My thoughts are pretty simple; I've loved each series. Yeah, even IF which I found far more enjoyable than I was led to believe. Then again, I've always been pretty easily entertained and try to just sit back and enjoy a show/movie.

It also doesn't hurt that I knew nothing about any of these characters going in. This helped get over any preconceived expectations I might have had. While no series has been perfect, there has been enough meat to keep me coming back for more.

And hands-down, JJ is the best character of the lot. I love her sassy attitude. Totally amped for her new season. Some critics are giving it low reviews, but clearly I don't give a damn, since I loved IF too.

OH! I love Colleen too! She's awesome! And it's great how Claire has been tied into each of the characters at some point or another. Love it.

OK, enough happy feedback. Get back to your bitchin' everyone. :)

Yeah, Iron Fist isn't nearly as bad as some would lead you to believe.

The real issue is it's nowhere near as good as it could have been or frankly should have been. See also Daredevil season 2 and the last part of Luke Cage.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Problem with IF is that there isnt really any excuse for how bad it was.
    Just a series of very poor decisions. Like...how do you NOT put him in a mask?

The character has one, and Danny sure could use the anonymity and that serves the story. PLUS it allows a stunt man to do the fighting which....lets face it....was needed.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Welp, I guess the era of respecting Dover's opinion is over.

jk dover <3 u fam

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

jk dover <3 u fam

Careful man, I liked the prequel movies and think FF7 was god awful. My opinions should never be trusted. ;)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

jk dover <3 u fam

Careful man, I liked the prequel movies and think FF7 was god awful. My opinions should never be trusted. ;)

Wow.

WOW.

• Options

I think the second half of Luke Cage season 1 could have worked if it was season 2.

Season 1 would have been about Luke dealing with more grounded villains, serious social issues, and learning to accept his role as superhero for Harlem.

And season 2 could be about crazy over the top super villains coming out to challenge Luke and fight for control of Harlem.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

I think the second half of Luke Cage season 1 could have worked if it was season 2.

Season 1 would have been about Luke dealing with more grounded villains, serious social issues, and learning to accept his role as superhero for Harlem.

And season 2 could be about crazy over the top super villains coming out to challenge Luke and fight for control of Harlem.

That could have been good, sure. I think I was more bothered by the shift in tone. Everything to do with Cage' s brother was just this side of silly, for lack of a better word.