As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Just make sure you have gigantic breasts

Also thigh-high stockings.

on the breasts yes

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Which board game is this?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Which board game is this?

sounds like kd:m to me

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Finally got to play Champions of Midgard last night. The basic idea is that of a viking-themed worker-placement game, where you gather resources, especially fighters represented by dice. You can then use those resources to go to various places on the board, to fight monsters and get rewards. We actually had a 5-player game (with the expansion), and a couple of weird things happened. I got unlucky in the first round, and got 4 "shame" tokens from a single monster (which give progressively more negative points). One guy had a special power that made the starting player space very appealing, so the guy to the right of him was last in turn order for a large part of the game. Some things were hard to read.

That all being said, I had a blast. As for my complaints, I took a bit of a risk early on, and I could have done more to get rid of the shame tokens. My only real complaint is that having an ability that messes with the starting player space seems dumb. There's a lot of spaces to do things, lots to gather and fight, risks to take, rolls to watch, and hidden cards (that aren't TOO powerful). The end of the game has a satisfying rush to spend all those saved resources to get points. Only after the game did I realize there wasn't much player interaction; I feel like the games "hides" that fact well, by making things so interesting to watch.

And then we played Azul, which continues to be one of the best abstract games I've played. It's an ever-changing puzzle, with good opportunities to really stick it to somebody. I hope it stays fun after a couple of dozen plays.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The missus just informed me that my Roll Player expansion just arrived at the house! Plus she's off tonight, so we can play it straight away.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Wagh! I just opened up my copy of Kemet, excited to play it tonight, and noticed my battle card deck does not include the required colors or color counts. It should include 6 cards for each of the five colors, and then two colorless cards. My pack came with 12 black cards, 12 blue cards, and 8 green cards. I hope Asmodee's support can help me out here.

Edit: Should I contact Matagot's support, as well?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Should have known this would happen once I night a second hand copy of the old OOP version, but hey it's a great game so whatever

https://www.zmangames.com/en/news/2018/4/4/announcing-taj-mahal/

Taj Mahal is getting reprinted and it's really good, you should check it out if you like that kind of thing

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Someone please tell me that the Pathfinder card game is terrible so that I don't blow money on a really good-looking sale for a game I'm never going to play.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Bursar wrote: »
    Someone please tell me that the Pathfinder card game is terrible so that I don't blow money on a really good-looking sale for a game I'm never going to play.

It's not terrible.

It's not that good, either, though it gets tightened up and improved in later sets.

You can do without it.

E: I did a real quick "Oh hey I can get the Egypto-set, that's cool... wait I'll never play it," whiplash myself over the sale.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

I've basically heard nothing about that game since it originally came out, so I wouldn't call it wildly popular. Was always a love-it-or-hate-it affair. I'm honestly shocked that they're still making content for it.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

It's a good fun time with some casual game playing friends of ours. We've been working our way through the first adventure very slowly since it released and it provides a good time the three or four times a year we meet up. Fairly interactive in terms of asking people for help with stuff. The deck building aspect is fun.

I think it would get quite stale if subjected to regular week in week out play though. Most games play out very similarly.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

There's a digital version that you can mess with for cheap/free. I didn't find it that compelling.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

There's a digital version that you can mess with for cheap/free. I didn't find it that compelling.

Yeah, I played a fair amount of the digital version. It's sort of OK in that format, but the whole time I was playing I was always thinking to myself how unfeasible it would be to play the game in meatspace and with other humans.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Yeah, I played a fair amount of the digital version. It's sort of OK in that format, but the whole time I was playing I was always thinking to myself how unfeasible it would be to play the game in meatspace and with other humans.

It's smoother than you might think but still pretty tedious. There's at least Sentinels of the Multiverse, as far as better co-op card games out there.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I know there's a thread for Gloomhaven already but this is only related to Gloomhaven slightly. I've played two sessions of the game, and it's fun, but I'm finding it sooooo hard to get even just the 3 other people over to play. It seems like it's once every 2 months.

Where did some of you folk find your other boardgamer friends? Getting people together to play is like pulling teeth, and I wish it was easier.

I know there's a thread for Gloomhaven already but this is only related to Gloomhaven slightly. I've played two sessions of the game, and it's fun, but I'm finding it sooooo hard to get even just the 3 other people over to play. It seems like it's once every 2 months.

Where did some of you folk find your other boardgamer friends? Getting people together to play is like pulling teeth, and I wish it was easier.

Meetup and putting in time at the FLGS' game night Saturdays got me a solid set of a half-dozen people I actually liked playing games with when all my older friends started moving further upstate and stopped being available.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Highschool friend network.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Meetup and putting in time at the FLGS' game night Saturdays got me a solid set of a half-dozen people I actually liked playing games with when all my older friends started moving further upstate and stopped being available.

Agreed. Unless you live in a teeming metropolis like New York City, this is your most likely course.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Get a consistent group first, then start the 100ish-scenario legacy dungeon crawl co-op.

My Gloomhaven/Pandemic Legacy/TIME Stories/etc. group is a group of friends who regularly attended board game night at the FLGS. When the store cut back its days of operation, I had just acquired a house nearby with a great big table and so a few of us just kept meeting but in a different place. That was over two years ago now.

3/4ths of us still attend game night on the new night, too (the other has work conflicts).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Fairchild wrote: »

Agreed. Unless you live in a teeming metropolis like New York City, this is your most likely course.

Dang store's shutting in June, though, so things will get difficult again. The nearest other place not dominated by CCG play is at least a 30-minute drive.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Depending upon where you live, I would say that a 30-minute drive is not prohibitive.

Fairchild wrote: »
    Depending upon where you live, I would say that a 30-minute drive is not prohibitive.

It's not, it's just a hassle given the timing. The one that's closing was much nearer.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

Friends I work with. That way we just head over straight after work every Friday. Committing to a fixed day each week isn't for everyone, but it works for us.

Darric on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    In our case specifically, we have one guy who regularly cancels and seems to only be available every 2 months or so, and the second (previously most reliable guy) is moving 2+ hours away, so he's about to suddenly get a lot less available.

I'll try the meetup route and see if I can find people who are a bit more available.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    We played City of Kings last night and it was a really really really great game that is absolutely no longer available so sucks to be you

I'm not sure about the metagame on that one. The way the monsters scale up is super brutal; you can't farm monsters for XP or you will get buried like we did. Also I'm not sure if it was random, but locking the best items behind (several) Linen means that you are not likely to even be able to build one.

I can see where they were going with the game, and I like the Workers mechanic, but it sure punishes you for focusing on your hero instead of your workers, quest-wise, while having monster destroy you utterly if you don't focus on your hero.

The 7th Continent is finally starting to ship out. I can't wait to get my hands on that! Did anyone else secure a copy?

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I did! Looking forward to it. Kinda scared I just won't ever have time for it.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Mine’s arriving in October, Wave 2 with all the expansions. Maybe by then I’ll have time to play it.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    The missus just informed me that my Roll Player expansion just arrived at the house! Plus she's off tonight, so we can play it straight away.

Report back with your thoughts on this, please. I enjoy the base game quite a bit, and the 5th player is definitely appealing, but not sure about the rest of the expansion.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    The 7th Continent is finally starting to ship out. I can't wait to get my hands on that! Did anyone else secure a copy?

I did but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse. I may dump my copy after wave 2 gets here.

kx3klFE.png
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

You in the US? I'm curious when I'll get mine!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited April 2018
      TimFiji wrote: »

Yep. I should get my copy next week. Keep an eye on your e-mail. Tracking information has been going out.

I'm still bummed about my messed up Kemet battle cards. Asmodee's missing components service page has Kemet as an option in the drop down box, but the top of the page doesn't list Matagot. "Please use this request form if you have discovered a manufacturing defect or missing component in a new Asmodee, Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, Catan, Plaid Hat Games or Z-Man Games product."

Does anyone know if that's just them not being overly specific - probably because they have a lot of publishers under their belt - or should I take it literally?

Dashui on
    • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Yep. I should get my copy next week. Keep an eye on your e-mail. Tracking information has been going out.

I'm still bummed about my messed up Kemet battle cards. Asmodee's missing components service page has Kemet as an option in the drop down box, but the top of the page doesn't list Matagot. "Please use this request form if you have discovered a manufacturing defect or missing component in a new Asmodee, Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, Catan, Plaid Hat Games or Z-Man Games product."

Does anyone know if that's just them not being overly specific - probably because they have a lot of publishers under their belt - or should I take it literally?

I did a part replacement through them for Meeple Circus within the last two months. It's definitely the right place.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      We played City of Kings last night and it was a really really really great game that is absolutely no longer available so sucks to be you

I'm not sure about the metagame on that one. The way the monsters scale up is super brutal; you can't farm monsters for XP or you will get buried like we did. Also I'm not sure if it was random, but locking the best items behind (several) Linen means that you are not likely to even be able to build one.

I can see where they were going with the game, and I like the Workers mechanic, but it sure punishes you for focusing on your hero instead of your workers, quest-wise, while having monster destroy you utterly if you don't focus on your hero.

There's quite a few quests that give you XP just from revealing them, we just didn't get any and yeah the items are random ours just sucked. But monsters aren't actually supposed to be your main source of XP.

Also I had monster range working wrong so it was easily twice as hard as it should have been.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      Last night I figured out I've been playing Istanbul wrong by fixating on the Wainwright before pursuing rubies. The winning player won without upgrading and taking their handful of goods to the mosques at minimal prices. Going to the mosques to increase their prices can be important for slowing other players down.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      edited April 2018
      Just picked up Dark Moon from BGG market for $20 (cheapest I could find it online was $60).

Hoping it comes in handy at my main meetup group who love social deduction games. I avoid the thing like the plague unless there's some "game" beyond guessing the traitor (no Resistance, Werewolf) and they wouldn't go for something as heavy as BSG (which coincidentally is what Dark Moon started off as: a stripped down fan-made BSG variant).

I really, really want Run, FIght or Die but good god $100????

MrBody on
    • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »
      Last night I figured out I've been playing Istanbul wrong by fixating on the Wainwright before pursuing rubies. The winning player won without upgrading and taking their handful of goods to the mosques at minimal prices. Going to the mosques to increase their prices can be important for slowing other players down.

If you are not going first, I've found the key is to observe what the other players head for first and go where they are not. Typically, people are going to get the first goal they set and it's not feasible to stop them.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

There's quite a few quests that give you XP just from revealing them, we just didn't get any and yeah the items are random ours just sucked. But monsters aren't actually supposed to be your main source of XP.

Also I had monster range working wrong so it was easily twice as hard as it should have been.

So it wasn't Chaz that screwed us over, it was YOU?

How was it supposed to work?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Yep. I got my Kickstarter tracking info yesterday. I don't know what it is about this game exactly that has me so excited but i am.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      azith28 wrote: »

Yep. I got my Kickstarter tracking info yesterday. I don't know what it is about this game exactly that has me so excited but i am.

I didn't get an email, but my FedEx manager has the label for me. Eeeeee

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      This discussion has been closed.