As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cast iron? They're probably going to want to replace the whole length. And it's going to be expensive, but if you plan on living in that place for a long time, make them use copper, not plastic.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Sorry man. I'd guess that's probably the original line. Once cast iron corrodes to point it's popping like that you don't want to just patch it cause it'll just pop in another place.

If you're thinking of ever adding another bathroom or more fixtures in the future or your water pressure is low, now would be the time to have them drop in a bigger line .

I'll get his opinion

Fortunately we had a plumber coming out tomorrow to finish the new bathroom .... that we can't currently use

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Though copper has antibacterial properties because it's, well, copper, PEX is superior in almost all cases for water supply.

It's cheaper, flexible, resists heat loss, doesn't have toxins from sweating/soldering, and is less likely to form pinhole leaks from corrosion (it's resistant to limescale and chlorine/chloramine). So if you're on municipal water, it's only a matter of time before copper leaks. If you were on well water with good water conditioning you wouldn't have to worry.

Copper is good for outdoors since it isn't susceptible to UV like PEX.

It does need to be treated very infrequently because it can occasionally grow algae. Using opaque PEX will remove the algae growth problems almost outright.

Water supply from the municipality will likely be PVC.

E: also it won't burst in cold climates

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I didn't get a look sadly when the city came to shut it off

it does cost $75 to have it turned back on. literally turned back on. it took him less that 30 seconds to turn it off =/

this blows

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    One nice thing about well water is I have 2 different ways to shut off the water and none of it costs me money.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    One nice thing about well water is I have 2 different ways to shut off the water and none of it costs me money.

This is great if you have kids because you can threaten to shut off the water if they don't do what you want.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

This is great if you have kids because you can threaten to shut off the water if they don't do what you want.

A threat I had never considered!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Huh. Here every mains water connection is equipped with a publicly accessible shutoff valve that anyone can access and use. If I want to shut off the water I just walk down to my property boundary and turn a tap. It never even occurred to me that that was not a common configuration.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

it does cost $75 to have it turned back on. literally turned back on. it took him less that 30 seconds to turn it off =/

this blows

That's fucking bullshit. There should a stopcock at your water meter. Here in Australia there's always a tap:

2204.jpg

You just turn that fucker on and off yourself, no council workers or fees involved whatsoever.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Over here they're commonly at the point of entry into the house (under the kitchen sink, usually) which wouldn't be useful if the leak was between the mains and the house. At that point you need someone that has access to the tool required to open the water access hatch in the pavement outside, and then essentially a long spanner to turn the feed off. Plumbers usually have those but then you're subject to their call-out fees unless you're friendly with one.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hey a thread relevant to me.

We just inherited :( a house at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately due to my MIL's declining health the house needed/needs alot of TLC.

A story in tweets

We had to replace the flooring in my daughters now bedroom dude to neglect and destruction by pets. But she now has nice new Dark Laminate in there. Next major work is duct cleaning and getting the tree in the backyard removed cause its dead and infested with bugs.

And all the rooms aside from my daughters need a fresh coat of paint.

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Cast iron? They're probably going to want to replace the whole length. And it's going to be expensive, but if you plan on living in that place for a long time, make them use copper, not plastic.
    It costs money because it saves money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1slibJ52yoc

Yeah copper pipes should outlast the house itself if they're quality and installed well. Well, besides the water freezing in them and possibly splitting them, but there must be a way around that.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Closing date was yesterday but of course at the last minute the lawyer found some issue and thinks I should probably get possession today. The internet man is supposed to show up in about nine minutes and I don’t own the house yet. I tried to call Bell last night but it was after hours. Also I am staying at my Mom’s house and I have no cell service here so I guess when they call I won’t answer.

So hopefully when I do get the house I’ll be able call Bell and they can come right away to set up my internet and I won’t have to wait a week.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    Closing date was yesterday but of course at the last minute the lawyer found some issue and thinks I should probably get possession today. The internet man is supposed to show up in about nine minutes and I don’t own the house yet. I tried to call Bell last night but it was after hours. Also I am staying at my Mom’s house and I have no cell service here so I guess when they call I won’t answer.

So hopefully when I do get the house I’ll be able call Bell and they can come right away to set up my internet and I won’t have to wait a week.

Thats unlikley

Xaquin wrote: »

this blows

That's fucking bullshit. There should a stopcock at your water meter. Here in Australia there's always a tap:

2204.jpg

You just turn that fucker on and off yourself, no council workers or fees involved whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed at the whole situation

Yeah copper pipes should outlast the house itself if they're quality and installed well. Well, besides the water freezing in them and possibly splitting them, but there must be a way around that.

Y'all must have higher quality copper piping than we do, or the pipe walls are much thicker.

Municipal water churns through copper within 20-30 years, especially in areas where they use chlorine still. In 30 year old houses with copper and municipal water your pipes will start to look like this:

q2eFwYgl.jpg

Fixable, sure, but annoying as fuck when it's in walls.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The piping paths to the houses are generally that simple and the cost of pvc is that cheap I'd go pvc, because even if you had to repair it three or four times (which is a stretch, my parents pvc had only leaked twice, and that pipe system is about 100-150 meters long) you'd still save money/time.

Blake T on
    plumbers are here putting a thing on it.

and saying they highly recommend an all new main since as expected this one is older than dirt.

yaaaaayyyyyyyy

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Use bigger pipes of course!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

Thats unlikley

I called and asked if it was possible to reschedule for tomorrow and she laughed and said "not likely!" but it turned out there was an open slot for tomorrow after all. The woman on the phone was just as surprised as me.

In the meantime I'm still waiting for the lawyer to fix whatever deed problem that should have been noticed a week ago.

They recommend a complete PVC replacement in the next 1-4 months. Looks like I'll be digging a long ass trench from the sidewalk to .... wherever the water line goes under the house

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Where are you located? Cause where I am that shit needs to be at least 48 inches deep.

Maryland is 32" if I'm not mistaken

also, the entire side of my house is concrete ....

Blaaaahhhh

But I guess it'll never have to be done again while we're alive

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That awesome is for never doing it again, not the money.

bowen wrote: »

Y'all must have higher quality copper piping than we do, or the pipe walls are much thicker.

Municipal water churns through copper within 20-30 years, especially in areas where they use chlorine still. In 30 year old houses with copper and municipal water your pipes will start to look like this:

q2eFwYgl.jpg

We must have higher quality municipal water. I spent from 5 to 12 years old in a house built just after the first world war and it still had all its original copper piping. Hell the house my partner and I bought two years ago is 41 years old and what I've seen of the inside of the original copper piping (changing taps and washers) still looks like new.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

q2eFwYgl.jpg

We must have higher quality municipal water. I spent from 5 to 12 years old in a house built just after the first world war and it still had all its original copper piping. Hell the house my partner and I bought two years ago is 41 years old and what I've seen of the inside of the original copper piping (changing taps and washers) still looks like new.

We do have particularly good water in Perth.

Imagine your water tastes like pool water, and this is the good municipal water in the US.

Well water is great in the US in most places though. There is a ton of push back against municipal water in a lot of areas because of this.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Imagine your water tastes like pool water, and this is the good municipal water in the US.

Well water is great in the US in most places though. There is a ton of push back against municipal water in a lot of areas because of this.

I don't know much about water outside of the UK, and where I am is luckily sourced by the Lake District. Where is well water sourced from, and municipal water? Just curious why its different, or is it the treatment...?

edited April 2018
    Liiya wrote: »

I don't know much about water outside of the UK, and where I am is luckily sourced by the Lake District. Where is well water sourced from, and municipal water? Just curious why its different, or is it the treatment...?

Usually you'll have a well dug on your property (think like the old timey wells with buckets). There's a few different ways but it's similar to that. So you'll have a water pump to get it into the house, but for the most part it's "your" water.

Municipal is sourced from a local aquifer (like lakes and rivers) and treated at water plants before pumped through city/county pipes to your home.

Benefit to municipal is if you have shitty well water it's a step up (swampy areas) and you don't lose water when the power goes out. Benefit to well water is it's often not treated with chemicals and tastes much better.

Some places use chlorine, some use chloramine, but it's all dependent on how old the infrastructure is and how often they treat the water with how shitty it tastes. Most of the urban/suburban US has highly chlorinated water on some level. Farm houses tend to still have wells though, and the water is fucking great. Higher risk of bacteria in the water though (especially with runoff and fertilizer use)

bowen on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    WHY DID THEY PUT STAIRS IN HOUSES THIS IS CRUEL

Moriveth wrote: »

moving a mattress aren't you?

Liiya wrote: »

Usually you'll have a well dug on your property (think like the old timey wells with buckets). There's a few different ways but it's similar to that. So you'll have a water pump to get it into the house, but for the most part it's "your" water.

Municipal is sourced from a local aquifer (like lakes and rivers) and treated at water plants before pumped through city/county pipes to your home.

Benefit to municipal is if you have shitty well water it's a step up (swampy areas) and you don't lose water when the power goes out. Benefit to well water is it's often not treated with chemicals and tastes much better.

Some places use chlorine, some use chloramine, but it's all dependent on how old the infrastructure is and how often they treat the water with how shitty it tastes. Most of the urban/suburban US has highly chlorinated water on some level. Farm houses tend to still have wells though, and the water is fucking great. Higher risk of bacteria in the water though (especially with runoff and fertilizer use)

I see! Thats really interesting, we don't really have wells in back gardens over here, so its interesting hear the comparisons between the two system - thanks! :)

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

moving a mattress aren't you?

Nah, I just moved a whole bunch of boxes downstairs and some other ones upstairs.

I miss our well water, I grew up in what was mostly farm land. God getting a drink in the middle of the night from the tap was the best thing. I hate having to get bottled water and filters.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I grew up on a farm, and our well water came from the Ogallala aquifer, 300 feet down. Fossil water that's been percolating through a sandstone Brita filter for the past couple hundred years. The only treatment we needed was a particulate filter the size of a quart thermos that we swapped out every ten years. Whenever we'd have our water tested for contaminants, it would always come back "bottle this and sell it in fancy coffee shops for five bucks a pint."

By contrast, the tap water in the last town I lived in came from a local lake, and twice a year when the temperature changed it would stir up a bunch of anaerobic compounds from the bottom and taste like dead bodies for a week or two, and there was nothing the treatment plant or home filters could do about it. You pretty much had to resign yourself to buying gallon jugs of water from the grocery store to cook with until it went back to normal.

It still creeps me out when the cold tap runs lukewarm in the summer, because I grew up with water that came out of the tap around 50 degrees no matter how hot the weather got.

Also, nobody should be drinking surface water to begin with. Fish fuck in it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I can't imagine having to go through bottles and filters, its sounds very inconvenient!

This discussion has been closed.